Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
I'm so incredibly jaded at my job. I'm so bored that I've started to be unmotivated in life outside of work. (And I say that after two weeks of not working)

The really grand achievements I have accomplished in this entire week thus far:
- Renaming a file
- Killing a hanged process via task manager
- Rebooting a server
- Killing the same hanged process again
- Force disconnecting a user from a hanging remote session
(I'm also supposed to jack in a licence dongle into a server in the server room. But getting access to that one is made way more difficult than expected thanks to "you are not allowed to get in there alone" and "it's not my job to help you get in there".)

Makes me really wonder why I was hired at all. Job title is Windows Server Administrator but I'm not even touching any Windows Services like AD or DNS. All I do is installing terrible proprietary software and when that boots up I'm done for the next few weeks (unless it crashes and/or inevitable needs an update). The commute and pay is kinda nice but that doesn't help with the dread about the feeling of wasting 40 hours every week in the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Two of my coworkers are sick since Monday and keep coming into the office, coughing and sneezing everywhere. Guess I know why I’m starting to feel kinda sick now. And here I was hoping I’m getting through a winter without a flu for once – thanks guys!

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
I actually have unlimited sick time by law – thanks silly government. Doesn’t stop coworkers and bosses to expect to work even more. Well, guess I’m gonna use that sick time from tomorrow on.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I seriously don't know why packet captures and log files are so abjectly terrifying to so many people. Why not find the actual problem rather than just throw poo poo at a fan and see what comes back?
This. My coworker drives me insane by refusing to look at logs.

“My program can’t copy files anymore! Happy can you help me?”
“Do you have an error message?”
“No.”
“Does the program create a log?”
“Yes, let me check.” “Oh there is something written here about permissions.”

It repeats almost every day with different easy problems.

He also refuses to google standard Windows error messages and in the rare cases where he does, he rephrases his google query to stuff like “Program X doesn’t like to copy files”. I mean googling is a skill, but come on.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Not pissing me off, but probably someone else in my company. My coworker got a new computer and lamented that it would be nice to reuse some parts of the old one for the new one. Just got a call from our very angry desktop team, where is the harddrive and the ram? Seems like he decided on a whim to steal both.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Seems like I have to work on Saturday. First time I have to do that for this company and usually I have no problem with working on weekends. If announced early enough, which employer actually did.

They were kinda hush hush about compensation and now I know why:
There will be no monetary compensation, at all.
Home office is, of course, not allowed, which means I need to spend gasoline to get to the office, this will not be recompensated.
I don’t get a day off from this. I only get some hours from this, which I can use to leave earlier (so 16:00 instead of 16:45, leaving earlier is not allowed)
Said hours expire after 14 days.

I guess this is the first and last time I’m doing maintenance and updates on a weekend.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Man, I dream of 9-5.

CurrentJob is 7:30-5, last job was 7-5 (most of the time 7-6 due to random phone calls coming in right when I want to leave). Thanks to huge mandatory unpaid breaks I have to do that much to get my 40h/week. Promised myself never doing a 40h job again, but I guess that is not gonna happen.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Ugh, I have an appointment in the afternoon with bossman and HR because I called in sick to much last year. They call it an employer care appointment, which seems ironic to me.

As I know HR is usually not on my side I guess the best course of action is making use of the fact, that employers over here (Germany) are not allowed asking anything about sicknesses. I mean work is probably the main reason for my depression, but god help me, I won't admit that to HR.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Why even provide support at that point? I see a lot of cost saving opporturnities there.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
I guess they want you to solve everything, absolutely everything via self-joins.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Not pissing me off: A random 1000€ bonus appeared on my payslip.

Slightly pissing me off: I don't know if that bonus was an accident and will be deducted next month, which seems very likely as the company is in full - No raises, no boni, be happy that you even have a job while we fire a lot of your colleagues - mode and nothing about that bonus was or is communicated in any way.

Pissing me off: One of my coworkers was laid off at the beginning of the year and I had to take over all his projects and I really don't care about the undocumented mess of worst practices and mostly just ignored advancing anything of that stuff. Now I am forced to update a piece of software, which includes updating all clients as well. Which would not be a problem - but he didn't care to document on which clients the software is installed and sabotaged any attempts to do automatization in that regard. My morale in this regard would be a bit higher if they would pay me his wage as well, but alas.

Also pissing me off: I am currently operating under a bus factor of 1. So I have no one who takes over my work if I call in sick or take a few days off, everything is just postponed until my return and needs to be done on day one. gently caress off dear management with operation minimizing the bus factor - you are doing it the wrong way around!

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
This is a small one in the category of things pissing me off: Bossman talking about me and how terrible my communication skills are in third person during a meeting I am attending. Dude you talked to me like three minutes before during the same meeting.

Unrelated to that I'd love to :yotj: but man, I am absolutely not in the mood for the stressful rat race that is job hunting. Additional stress factor: I'd have to move, because rural Bavaria is a really bad place for IT jobs.

And completely unrelated to work, but also pissing me off - and while I am at it already: My shower is not working.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
How do you guys deal with customers who call you directly three to four times per day just to ask what the current status of a ticket is and when it will be solved? I am short of just throwing my phone out of the window. And before you ask, no I am not the helpdesk. Asked my boss already and he is said I need to be available for the customers at all times.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
My boss is confused because one of my colleagues is permanently shown as online during his PTO. So another coworker chimes in "If you take your job even somewhat seriously, then you check your work queue during your two weeks PTO. Else everything will be on fire when you return." Sadly my boss did not confront that opinion.

My dear coworker, I'd say, let it burn down. Make fire beautiful!

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
To add on that: The higher powers denying Server 2019 (and maybe even 2022), because managing 2019 "is too difficult and too much effort".

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
If helpdesk gives me another call to inform me that they have assigned a ticket to me that seems super important I'm gonna scream. Loudly for once not just silently. Nobody is in danger of death or bodily harm, so it can't be super high important. Neither is production affected so it can't be important. No it's a single person who can't scan a document to pdf. *throws phone out of the window*

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
I'm on probation and no longer allowed to do home office because the higher ups think I'm not working at home. Jokes on you guys, I don't do more in the office either.

While I'm only mildly annoyed by that the thing that pisses me off is deeply rooted in german work culture. You guys are sometimes listed for a reference we have something similar and it is compulsory for an employer to write one and for you to add it into the application: An Arbeitszeugnis, which is some silly piece of paper written by HR which is a evaluation of your work. With german HRs love for these things a single spiteful employer can torpedo your chances at a new job. Guess who just got told to work more else it's bad evaluation time.

Stop loving around and fire me already, ffs. I could use a few months of unemployment money.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Things that piss me off: Our management.

This company has always been closed between christmas and the first january week and you were forced to spend your PTO. Last week this has been cancled thus I cancled my not very exciting vacation plans. Now this week HR comes around and wants a written statement what I'm doing at work during that week or want me to take PTO.

No and no. I'm not taking PTO if my plans are cancled and you are not getting a plan out of me on what I'm supposed to do that week. What are you gonna do? Fire me?

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Oh the entire idea to not close down shop but then try to force PTOs was the managements. HR are just the tools executing that idea.

From what I have gathered, over here it's not possible to force employees into PTO unless the entire company shuts down for that time or a similar important reason. Management mistakes are according to court cases not an important reason.

Happy Litterbox fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 14, 2022

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

Why do companies still try to pull this poo poo in 2023? People actively and openly talk about their salary and will quickly find out the new guy is making more than the current employees and will quit. It happens constantly in corporate America and it’s maddening.
Over here in Germany companies have managed to silence most talk about salaries as it is considered rude to talk about money. Nobody but really close friends talk about their salaries to me. The salaries of my coworkers are a big mystery to me and should I even dare to mention mine I get cut off with a "don't wanna know" like it's an evil curse.

One of my favorite stupid things in regards to that is when applying for a job. Some refuse to tell you how much you are gonna earn until they hand you the contract for signing during like the third appointment for interviews.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Just do it like my first job, where bossman thought DHCP is a security risk: Have none, just hand out random static IPs to every device and pray they don't clash.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Sending off an application and not half an hour later I get an answer "What salary do you expect?" Guys, stop hiring the cheapest people. :( Also it depends on a lot of factors, like how many hours do you even want me there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

[...]I had that dance a couple of weeks back and ended up just ignoring the recruiter. Turns out they didn't need it and put me forward anyway, but didn't tell me. I was very confused when some rando yank company demanded I give them an interview time in the next five days to start the 6-7 stage multi-week process with them.

So of course I told 'em I'm on holidays and have poo poo internet.
Wasn't even a recruiter. Was a direct application, which over here in Germany is way more common than going the way via recruiters. So it was HR of the company I applied at. Even tried the song of dance of saying that depends. But alas they want that number so I undersell myself (again).

Man another thing that pisses me of is actually the entire process of writing an application in Germany. It starts off with you better have a sexy(?) photo of yourself right at the top so they can filter out people whose look they don't like or dare to wear a headscarf. Followed by a whole page of writing about how you are the perfect fit for the company. In your CV it's not important what you actually did at your former jobs so it's never mentioned but you better not have any gaps. Also list your marital status and if you have kids there so they can filter out single moms. It is also customary to add all the reference letters of former employers, where they rate how well you did your work for em. So leaving a single employer on bad terms fucks over your entire career. It's all so archaic, pro business, in parts even illegal - but who cares - and I hate it.

At least businesses stopped requiring the expensive variant of snail mail and accept emails these days. Grudgingly.

Happy Litterbox fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 21, 2024