Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

ijyt posted:

Compound that with a manager who focuses on metrics rather than quality of work and good loving god did I hate my last job. "Sandra's closing 20% more tickets than you why is that?"

Fucker I could close 200% more tickets if I didn't resolve the issue or build any customer rapport while tanking the reputation of our department.

God I wish that we had anything where I am right now, even useless metrics - Support is a drat mess because it's just a single guy doing whatever the gently caress he wants with no rhyme or reason. Maybe he'll spend 5 hours with someone and ignore a whole day of requests, maybe he'll close everything that day! Who knows!

It's so dire that I had to help out a couple of weeks back and I got a few comments about people feeling like support was being done. He's not a bad guy, but we just can't keep a second support hire (used to be me, got a better opportunity internally and took it, and also not his fault that we can't) so it's just been whatever the gently caress for... 6 years? I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

ijyt posted:

If you're in the UK and do remote then I could hop in lol.

Canada (un?)fortunately, really wish we could keep a drat support hire though, we either get the dumbest of dumb motherfuckers who want to improve everything (they're not wrong, lots of issues to fix) and go about it by being assholes and get fired/quit or they just quit

God help me when I have to train the next one only for them to quit within 3 months

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

KillHour posted:

The thing that scares me is there are far too many people who will read that and think it's inspiring genius and not psychotic risk taking.

Oh it will absolutely inspire people. And that's depressing

In other news, I had to review a contract that has to do with security and I made a bunch of notes. My boss explicitely asked me to cite the documentation we have. I did. He didn't realize I did, because it's one whole document. We are terribly not ready to sign this contract it depresses me.

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 12, 2023

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I bet they think they could solve all the issues AND cut down on the workforce too!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

No need for the environment to be safe if the environment burned away

Simple maths

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

My job offers me endless hassling to show up more at the office and constant remarks from people that wish I showed up more often. Don't hate the job though, do wish those people chilled on that.

Maybe if I wasnt barraged endlessly with Teams notification noises and people sniffing my food I'd show up more often! Showing up does help get some things done much faster though, so I'll agree with that, but I do try to be selective about when I come in regardless.

(I have a vendetta against what I call "food sniffers" that I will not bore anyone with because I would go on for pages)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

You asked.....

I essentially call food sniffers those maniacs that go around sniffing meals, or over reacting whenever you bring something like fish in the office. They'll essentially lose their poo poo and go on a rampage about how your meal is stinking up the place and how fish or whatever dish or ingredient you (or some other poor sap) brought in that displeases them. They will not shut the gently caress up about it, and they will make your lunch time a whole rear end loving pain because heavens forbid you brought in something that is an actual meal and not some garbage like a sandwich with 2 slices of meat in it.

They'll also go on to great lengths to hassle you if you bring in any god drat meal you picked up from a restaurant. Got something hot from the local deli? They will be sniffing around the office going "HMM WHO BROUGHT IN X DISH??" as loudly as possible until the find the culprit and bother them for like 5-10 minutes talking about whatever they picked up for lunch. I classify them as such :

- The proud sniffer
- The drive-by
- The casual snark

The proud sniffers will be so loving proud they sniffed out whatever you're eating. They'll be terribly proud of the fact that not only they found out that you were eating something, they're proud that they called out *exactly* what you're eating. The drive-bys love to just make remarks on what you're eating and try to chat you up while you're trying to god drat eat. The last category are the annoying fucks that will not shut up whenever you bring in something that even moderately smells or has any amount of spice in it. All 3 kinds will chase you down, no matter where you are in the office because god drat you are eating and they sniffed you out.

I have so much more to say but I think that covers the gist of it. Never had a company I worked at where I didn't have at least one of the above.

i hate office settings

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Weatherman posted:

I loving hate Visio and resent being asked to use it to create diagrams.

I'm responsible for docs at my job and I've given up on diagrams. No one cares to make a good one, to maintain one, or to refer to one. What is the point then, just write a paragraph of how things are done and leave it at that, on top of various issues with software

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Wibla posted:

Visio is poo poo, but not having updated docs is worse :v:

Oh I absolutely agree, and I'm eagerly awaiting for the day where poo poo goes south real bad to rub it in people's faces. I have yearly audits for this purpose and it takes months to swap out 2 sentences (I usually end up doing it myself even though I shouldn't). I know it's my job, but lord do I have other poo poo to do than make you update your doc when you don't want to (which is especially annoying because a lot of people bemoan the existence of documentation, which already exists, they don't refer to it). This is going to be especially disastrous if we lose some devs on our solutions, because they built the drat thing, and I know they are largely unsatisfied with how things are being ran, so it's a matter of time until we eat poo poo.

I'm aware this is absolutely the wrong mindset to have especially since this is my job, but what the gently caress else am I meant to do? Even my COO pushing down on them (at my request once I explain what the issue is and the time investment required) doesn't make them do it, and me doing their job I don't think is something I should encourage.

We have a lot of poo poo that is somewhat crumbling or held by duct tape and I just move through it all with a "people are a drag" attitude.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah and it's a matter of time. Wonder how that's all gonna go, especially since we were acquired very recently. Gonna be interesting, to say the least.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I think it's cool that I'm being forced to enforce security measures for a bunch of stuff and I'm asked to essentially circumvent all of them... for our security consultant, by our COO

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I agree with you but considering we were meant to have done stuff like 3 years ago such as but not limited to : have a plan in case of data breaches, I am not too terribly hopeful. I am open to being surprised, though!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

It's all part of the surprise! At any rate it cannot be possibly worse than the current situation, which is nothing getting done

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

If I keep lying to myself then it will become true.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

It helps you by wasting time until you have to clock out at the end of the day

You're here to spend time, not to be efficient while you spend that time !!!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Every place I've ever worked has insisted that a phone call is the fastest and clearest way to resolve anything, so they push that over any other form of communication.

Why give information email when phone call do trick?

(And then you call and the person you need to help isn't even on location or available or brushes you off because helping them for more than 5 minutes is a bother to them)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Weedle posted:

every day, me included

same but especially me

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

ChubbyThePhat posted:

The containers do not currently have any specs attached to them for reasons not provided to me when asked. I have no patience today and chalked it up to middle management needing to look important so I invented specs myself and priced those. If we're lucky I never hear about this again because it is a pet web app that will die before ever seeing the light of day.

If it doesn't die, simply lie and say they changed their pricing

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

BringBackATV posted:

Or you get “sorry I can’t help with that, but if you ring the Customer Service Centre…”

Don't get me started on that...

In other news, I have a user. That user has issues with OneDrive. He is convinced that it's because I did the setup incorrectly for his Surface tablet (we use OneDrive to synchronize Sharepoint sites), because once in a while his OneDrive face plants, files start having sync issues, etc.

The problem is that he also had issues with his laptop previously. Same kind of issues. I am 100% convinced it is because of something with his home connection, because he is the only user I have that has had issues over the past 4 years like this (I have had sync issues with someone else but that was because he was trying to backup 150gb of files over 600k different files on his Desktop - funnily enough, requested by the same user that has the OneDrive issues).

I am so so so so so tired of his poo poo. I will try redoing the setup again. He will have issues, again, and try to pin it on me, I guess. He is not the only user that takes his stuff in and out of the office - many people do - but only he has issues, and I'm so loving tired of it. I'm ESPECIALLY tired of it, because OneDrive is a convenience, this is just an old boomer that refuses to use the web interface because "Windows explorer better".

:sigh:

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

It absolutely does loving suck, but it works. Which is better than his OneDrive making GBS threads the bed every 3 weeks.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Unless they installed stuff that I am not aware of, no!

Unless they run stuff at home, which is kinda outside my scope (and care), unfortunately.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

It really sucks because no matter what you do too people will fall for that poo poo. Routinely have people at work clicking stuff they shouldn't.

Increase how much stuff gets filtered? Then you get a bunch of emails that are legitimate but get filtered because people are apes that don't know how to write a proper email.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Emails are bad (no one reads them or does anything in response) but they are also good (I can do the same as them)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I am laughing at that whole situation because man it really does always circle back to emails. And the (lack of) quality thereof.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

guppy posted:

A trend I've noticed in the last couple years is tech vendor spam where they email you from slightly different domains (.com, .io, etc.). I have to assume this is because they're aware that people are blocking them for sending spam. If you already understand that no one wants your emails, why do you think they are going to want to do business with you after you actively evade their attempts to stop hearing from you?

Throw all marketing people into the sea.

If you keep throwing poo poo at the wall surely eventually some of it will stick, is what I assume the logic is here

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I... why? I can't ask you to share the information obviously, but can you give a tl;dr? I gotta know what the gently caress it was about and why they thought using AI was a good idea.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Losing my mind.

How long until everything crumbles by your estimations?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I didn't know the difference and took 2 seconds to look it up just now and I am deeply worried that your man might be hiding more stuff you assume he knows but does not. Something a little exciting just to keep you on your toes I guess!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Oh he's having a real real one. Incredible

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

That's IT. An ever increasing number of acronyms we nod sagely about but really do not have a loving clue what we're agreeing to.

painfully true unfortunately

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

When implementing our intranet using Sharepoint I avoided file paths that were too deep. It's bad (but not BAD bad) for a couple of things but they are mostly archives (that I honestly should clean up, it's real old stuff)

No one has brought up issues with file paths since they kinda run everything off the website(s) we have in place but if that ever happens I will simply laugh at them and tell them to do something else.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Our Office (or microsoft whatever!!!!) 365 policy for password is 90 days and I am so tired of forcing people to reset their god damned passwords. Yes I know O365 has a never expire setting. No I cannot change it because I have been told to, as well as outside security advisors telling us not to.

It's pretty cool cause our users ARE susceptible to clicking weird links so I feel like adding another thing that could be misleading to them when I forced a reset is a problem but what the gently caress do I know!!!!!!!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

It's an uphill battle, but for quite a while now NIST, the government agency that makes recommendations around identity and security, has advised not changing passwords on a regular basis and only as-needed. Or if you absolutely have to, once a year.

It's been long enough that even lovely security folks and audits should have stopped requiring it. If you're in any position to push back, you should, simply because it's the right thing to do.

I bring it up every so often, unfortunately I kinda occupy IT has a second had internally very occasionally but god drat is it infuriating to deal with, and I will bring it up again.

Fun fact, unless I hosed something up - Microsoft recommends you set passwords to not expire, but also if you do that, it drops your security score. Why in the gently caress.

Making myself mad just thinking about it. Ultimately, I am too lazy to set up some sort of powershell script, because the main issue is that tokens last longer than password (for whatever loving reason what is your problem Microsoft) so I have to also check in manually once in a while. Which naturally upsets people internally. And I also have to follow up to assure everyone that it is indeed not phishing!!!!!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Sync breaking is absolutely the loving worst, see my previous rant. People expect you to just fix that poo poo magically too.

Then they become completely loving lost when they have to use the web interface aaaaaaaaah

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

In a perfect world I killed Steve Jobs and Bill Gates 25 years ago and prevented this from happening

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

hope the mods rent a big hotel and reception room over 3 days to present the upcoming year that wouldve been enough budget to get stuff done but was spent on that instead

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Bargearse posted:

Microsoft if you could please just stop arbitrarily renaming and rebranding poo poo that would be great

This a hundred times

They gave up recently on a few things too!! NEW outlook. NEW teams. What the gently caress does that mean. Why do these need "new" names.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah I got that they were rewrites but like. They didn't rename them or stuck with the branding, as opposed to how they renamed Azure to Entra.

Just kinda puzzling from a branding perspective. Just a strange choice for software. Middle of the road nothingness.

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 3, 2023

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Days without Microsoft seemingly changing poo poo in their security stuff and it affecting our environment : 0

Very tired of this loving company some days (by some I mean every)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

klosterdev posted:

I'm still pissed that MS is forcing authenticator apps on all users on all tenants. It's causing me problems right now, I've got a user who's phone is so drat old it won't support the App Store authenticator app.

Texting-based MFA is good enough security for most organizations, fight me.

Yeah that whole ordeal was thoroughly uncomfortable. Had to ask people to get that poo poo on their personal phones, cause we don't supply phones to everyone. Didn't have issues - people were receptive - but it sure was uncomfortable!

Forced MFA is whatever to me I just submit myself to the times, but kind of unfun to have that sprung on you as opposed to being a choice (even if I do think it's a no-brainer)

Personally went with Microsoft Auth so at least I won't have a plethora of apps people might ask questions about