Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Had to sit my rear end through a meeting where people said 'uhh' every 3 seconds for 45. loving. minutes.

This was several people speaking. Not a single person can speak properly here. What the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I actually cannot remember what the gently caress was said, even if there were supporting slides, because it just completely cut of my train of thought every single time.

I might as well have napped and the same amount of information would've been retained.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah I bitched and in hindsight, probably they were a bunch of people not used to giving speeches. The meeting was still garbage and I did raise it, and while my boss did thank me for speaking up he was a bit bewildered cause I'm the only one who said he could not follow along. Probably one of those "me issues" instances. It be like that sometimes.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Gonna have to bring to my boss that people are messaging me outside my work office hours to get me to troubleshoot their stuff at work. Like, no, messaging me at 9 pm expecting help at 7 am won't work - I won't even see your message in the first place until the next day! I don't check my messages outside of work hours even if I am WFH!

Just kind of really annoyed that people expect me to see their messages at like 7 to 9 PM. Sorry, I turned my stuff off hours ago. Hasn't been an issue yet where people gave me poo poo for me, but I suspect it might become one sooner or later.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Funny you mentioned negotiate for pay because (even if I didn't say it in my previous post), most of the intent of me bringing it up was to indeed tell my boss that if it was in the cards, that we would have to discuss and negotiate the pay for that.

Thankfully, my boss isn't a shithead and agreed with me, especially on the point of Sales writing to me after my work hours and requesting help before my work hours, and basically said : yeah they can get hosed that's on them to check if their poo poo works or not in a timely fashion

Rhymenoserous posted:

Man unless servers or major network services are taking a dump I don’t give a poo poo outside of core hours.

Same, and I don't touch to anything related to our products, so that helps immensely

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

A lot I could say in response to that but I'll just say lol sounds about right instead

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Man, working on a project for a customer and one of the requirements is that it must all fit on one page (which is impossible, because of how many fields their loving form has), and they hit us with the 'having 3 printed pages isn't economically viable and is a pain for production'

Then set up a loving tablet and send files to it or something?!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Did they specify the page size

good ole 8.5 x 11 inches

they're just dumb

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Put it all on one page, give them a sample with 4 point font or whatever and then when they say it's unusable tell them that's why you said it needed to be bigger.

Whenever I get back into the office and can talk to other people about this, this will be the plan. I am genuinely tired of these dumb fuckers, they will only understand when they see how loving impossible it is.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Man do not get me started on Teams, especially New Teams. poo poo will say I'm green in the task bar, so available, but if I don't click it after it launches, it actually shows me as offline!

If I disappear and stop posting, either I forgot this website exists (again) or I killed someone on that product team at Microsoft

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I have not seen a single diagram making software that didn't suck rear end

I am open to being wrong though

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

The Fool posted:

miro seems to be ok for what i'm doing with it

ok fine I do like Miro but this is the bitching thread and that's too positive

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Raising a storm at work about not having my own loving devices to test poo poo internally and I'm tired of having to set up our dev's devices to have something that resembles more closely a true QA environment every time we have a release

We have the budget for it, but a couple people are sitting on their asses about it and it is pissing me the gently caress off, like you need to get me a loving iPad and iPhone it takes like 5 minutes, you fuckers. It has been literally 14 months.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

wait its a loving sub service?? nothing is sacred

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

I saw your update in the job thread. That's a real bummer. Thanks for trying to help out goons.

And is it just me or is it a bit of a red flag that 4 out of 4 positions were filled from the hiring manager's previous contacts? Seems a bit over the top. From a consolidation of power standpoint, but also from a "doesn't think the hiring practices have produced good hires" (aka current employees suck) perspective.

Red flag doesnt even begin to describe it

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Lol I have once again been told of an upcoming release that is less than 2 weeks away I am getting really tired of this, we had discussions for like months on end and wrote whole rear end processes and people still act like caveman and try to get quality work out the door a bare week or two before a product release

I feel like a broken clock but I am getting quite tired of being informed last of a bunch of stuff but people still expect things out of me like which loving is it are we serious about this or not. what the hell.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

New teammate just started and they created a bunch of new columns on our Kanban board that don't make any sense and they didn't discuss it first or really even mention it at all. :allears:

Please keep us posted I need to know how this one goes

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Been sick as gently caress, we're having some rebrand launch or whatever the gently caress and everyone gotta be in the office, sick or not. Hope everyone enjoys getting sick, I guess!!!! (Not covid, just a cold, but still!!!)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

ChubbyThePhat posted:

What the actual gently caress? There is no world where you catch me in the office if I feel even the slightest bit ill. I guess the cult must keep on culting (I'm pissing on your company rather than you specifically).

It's like a sub 20 people company, and as lovely as that sounds from me, not my loving problem if I get people sick, it's been known that I've been coughing, and no amount of masking is gonna protect them from this!!! It is what it is.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Once again pulled to help with tech support, which would be fine, but a) I hate the dude who oversees tech support, as he is my old boss because b) he micromanages everything, and has the nasty habit to not plan in advance. Which includes not telling me when the only support agent we have is off, until the very moment he needs help. No, I cannot do stuff immediately, I have other things that I had planed or that I am already doing. Stop picking away at me and let me do poo poo, we are wasting time (and I do not like you)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

A funny gif would land me into hot water for sure, unfortunately

But hey we hired someone for tech support again, maybe the 6th hire will do it and they'll stop bugging me!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah even despite my best effort at work we still get scam poo poo that passes through, and people expect some miracles from me. I dunno, poo poo sucks, I hate emails, I hate everything, my users suck aaaaaaaaa

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Great start to a monday, laptop I was trying to reset for our new employee is stuck in a repair tool / boot loop. I have other laptops on hand I can use but also I'd still need to fix this eventually, so I guess that's what I'm doing today, I guess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Cattle not pets. Reimage that POS.

Yeah I gave up 5 minutes after that, putting it on the pile of "to do later"

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Reoxygenation posted:

Yeah I gave up 5 minutes after that, putting it on the pile of "to do later"

Following up on this though I put all this effort into making sure that the new person's gear is ready for monday and I still don't have a moment booked as to when I'll be able to sit down with them and give them the stuff as well as do a few things like yknow setup MFA and do password resets. Good thing we are only wednesday right!!! Love doing poo poo last second!!!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Following this up again, I had to push to have a time on a friday at 3 pm, that's so cool man. This is after a big fanfare that they went to a different branch of the company to get a whole plan to accompany new employees on our end, but apparently we can't be hosed to set a time so I can finish their god drat computer setup. I'm so fed up with this poo poo lmfao

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

It's fine just use the wiki pages in Teams, technically that's stored in your Sharepoint

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Generic Monk posted:

is there a loving wiki in teams???? are you joking?

e: the sharepoint online stuff in the browser i’m kind of coming round to; it’s almost preferable to having a bunch of weird special subfolders in onedrive for which editing stuff in the desktop office apps may or may not destroy all your work when it has a paddy. it’s nice to have that stuff bookmarked in your browser, especially in my company where no one knows where anything is.

i’ve never been able to understand why anyone would ever want to edit anything inside teams tho. the world’s most mediocre chat app becoming the world’s worst spreadsheet experience

Idk if it's in the new teams but you used to be able to build a wiki in a team - you'd add a Wiki tab, you can chat in it, it's not terrible but the question is who the gently caress would use a wiki in a team, people already don't even read basic documents

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Not sure if this qualifies as pissing me off, but our marketing person just quit, who was hired at the same time I was some 4-5 years ago. Basically the most recent hire we have, we haven't been able to keep a hire. I know this isn't really related to IT, but I would be lying if I said morale didn't take a hit for me when I heard the news. We were acquired but I feel like everyone is low energy because we're just in maintenance mode and never try to actually improve anything. I might start looking elsewhere even if I am ultimately being paid to kinda kick rocks around these parts lately.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

That's fair but you don't suddenly revert to a baboon when trying to communicate with someone else whenever you have an issue or something to explain (at least I'd hope you don't???)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I think using Bing was somewhat worth it with a microsoft account cause you could accumulate points to trade in for poo poo with actual monetary value, gently caress using it with that new garbage though lol

Need web rings to come back so I don't have to use search engines anymore

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I would like to not be asked anymore to troubleshoot external devices please... what the hell do you think I can do if a customer or vendor isn't receiving your text messages or emails? It's genuinely annoying how people loving turn automatically to me instead of asking the other party to see if something isn't working.

Amongst other things this week I was asked why a customer's personal phone, personal phone wasn't receiving one of our salesman's text messages. The gently caress do you want me to say.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

The new guy at work has, once again, clinged on to me, so I am being asked questions about HS codes and shipping and items and...

I just don't understand why this happens loving consistently. Like the last 7 guys clung on to me and asked me poo poo about support and shipping and stuff all the time. I don't know? Why the gently caress does everyone assume I know? Is it because I bother actually loving answering people? I really wish people would stop!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

guppy posted:

Yes, that is why. Demonstrating competence and/or willingness to answer questions gets all questions routed to you. That doesn't mean you should stop being competent or stop responding to people, but try to route them to the correct source instead.

I mean I get what you're saying but it has the opposite effect on me, tbh, like yeah I shouldn't turn into a massive rear end in a top hat over this but like I've only seen incompetence be rewarded so this isn't a great motivator to keep doing as I do :v:

Especially when people come to with like whole paragraphs about what they want to do. Just because I have "systems" in my title also doesn't mean I am the sole arbitrator of how things should be done or that I know how the accounting system works...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Spent like 2 hours today setting up a PC at work realizing that post Microsoft 365 rebranding there are effectively 2 websites - office.com and microsoft365.com and that I had to use the latter for some stuff. Very fun stuff all around I hate that dogshit company Microsoft gently caress. Office worked for a bit but I guess now it's like for family and private accounts? Maybe? Who loving knows. I certainly don't!

(I don't have a golden image to format PCs and all that so I install some stuff manually and gently caress poo poo)