Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
This is what pisses me off today. I got hired last November for a year long fixed term contract to help with clearing a backlog of changes to a piece of software, my first actual employment beyond part time shop work. The guy who interviewed me made it pretty clear that if I worked well then they would definitely look for a long term position. Come my one to one meeting with my manager today and he tells me that they're really pleased with how the backlog has gone down so much and the level of quality in my work. So much so that some higher ups (one being the guy who interviewed me) have decided not to extend my contract because the backlog has gone down so much and I did such a good job way back earlier this year when I helped with training a couple of people in India how to do some development and change work in that software so we could move the easier stuff offshore (my first real job so the implications didn't occur to me).

I should have seen this coming when four months ago he submitted a training request for a more advanced SQL course and when my manager chased him up on it last month we never heard anything back. Also when the talk of establishing a technical BI team in our office (and having me train in it) seemed to just evaporate and two contractors from that team got their contracts ended last month and replaced by new people in India. Pretty sure come a few years and all the technical people will be gone from that office.

I had no idea that getting people to train their own offshore replacements was a thing that actually happened outside TV. I swear if I didn't need good will at this company for references in the future...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU