Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Migishu posted:

Specifically, Zebra printers.

gently caress Zebra printers.

Oh God yes, we work with those things and they are the stupidest loving devices on earth. For $600 you get a tiny little plastic printer that can't even remember a goddamn ip address.

This weeks annoyance? I'm changing servers at one of our clients which is a new domain. My domain migration tool works great and means I only have to take over each workstation for about 10 minutes (which is AGONY for them even though I've been watching them waste hours of time doing nothing but bullshitting with each other or searching the web, but I digress). The only problem with my tool is that it resets any saved passwords, which I did not know about. So I'm about 3 workstations into the conversion, and someone comes into where I am (they've been doing it constantly with little stupid things they need fixed, but whatever) and says:

"It's asking me for a password"
"I'll come take a look" I get in there and it's Outlook asking him for his password and he points at it. Me, trying to sound as non-condescending as possible, "Did you try your password?"

I get a generic answer about how they don't know it, nobody ever told it to them, it was set up when they got here etc etc. Since we also host their emails (well the company we work with does) I have had to call them and change every password so far. Even better? They all use Skype so I'm responsible for "losing" those passwords as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Sirotan posted:

Right about the time we also get to experience the paperless office, yes siree.

See also: the 32 hour work week. There will be no "changing of the guard" when the boomers retire/die. Technology was supposed to make our lives easier, but it hasn't. Mostly this is because we focus our technological efforts towards consumer products. So, instead of working less, we work more because we suddenly have to dedicate more time and money towards consumer technology. Think about this, 30 years ago your phone was a simple static device that was attached to a wall in your kitchen. It made phone calls and nothing more and did not require a class at the tech college to operate it. Now your phone is a computer with a host of applications, all of which require time and money to understand and utilize. It's not just phones, it's everything, televisions, cars, even refrigerators. This is all very overwhelming and as such, we are becoming more and more specialized to deal with the vastness of our technology.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
Fellow Americans, coming in to work sick is not a badge of honor. Nobody is going to steal your job if you stay home.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Regardless of the truth of that, if you're paid hourly and live paycheck to paycheck, you literally cannot afford to stay home sick.

As far as salaried employees go, there's generally a limited number of sick days, after which you get to show up or get written up / fired.

There is a vanishingly small number of employers which think that sick employees staying home and not sicking up the workplace is a good idea, but good luck on getting in there.

People could, oh I don't know, start standing up for themselves? Stop working for lovely bosses? Stop buying a bunch of useless consumer products so they wouldn't have to work so many hours or be so dependent on their jobs? Find alternate means of income? Have a financial buffer so they can afford to take days off?

By going into work sick you are loving EVERYONE ELSE OVER and blaming it on the boss, the company, or the loving economy isn't going to cut it, sorry. The reason I bring this up in the first place is because I am going to client's offices and they are all sick. I have to touch their goddamn keyboards and I can't exactly put on a gas mask or wear rubber gloves lest I insult the poo poo out of them. Now *I* am sick. At the moment while I am in school part time I am hourly, I pay for school and a mortgage, but I sure as hell am going to call in sick.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I get a whole 13 days a year that is for both sick time and vacation. If I do not feel dead I am drat well coming in and getting everyone else sick too. Tell US companies to stop having poo poo benefits that encourage you to come in sick.

Tell your own company? I don't have a problem telling mine, and if I did, I wouldn't be working there.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Khisanth Magus posted:

You apparently haven't worked in the corporate world much.

Guess what? The companies/corporations that you work for generally know drat well that the benefits are poo poo. Hell, we had a big all-employee survey here about stuff and the main feedback is that the benefits, both medical and other benefits, are pure poo poo. Guess what they are doing about it? Diddly squat, other than "looking into it"(aka pretend we might do something and hope you forget).

Do you want to know why they know the benefits are poo poo and can get away with it? Because 1) Finding a new job isn't exactly easy in today's economy, so they have you a bit trapped there, and 2) They know that you know that the benefits aren't likely to be a whole lot better anywhere else you go. I'd love to have better benefits. I left my old job to work here due to a $20k pay raise, knowing that I would not have as good of benefits, which sucked but my wife and I could no longer live on the poo poo pay I got at my old job. Plus I was supposed to get better medical insurance, but I was lied to about that, which still pisses me off.

People with poo poo benefits work for 1 of 2 places: small companies that can't afford to give you significant time off, as every employee is important, or big corporations that don't give a poo poo.

I'd personally love to get a job at the local university: double my vacation days here, a separate sick day pool larger than my vacation/sick pool here, and about double the number of holidays at approximately the same pay level as I get here, but those jobs are hotly contested for good reason.

I have worked for corporations, mom and pops, and franchises, in various industries. You are making it seem like there is no solution. What is amazing to me is that so many people are willing to bitch about their current working conditions but are unwilling to do anything about it. Stop being so dependent on your "career", in the ways I listed in my previous post, and suddenly all the power is taken away from your boss. You don't need him you only think you do. If corporations are so evil, stop working for them. Start your own business. I work in one of the worst towns in the state for IT jobs, but I would ditch my job IN A HEARTBEAT if they did not treat me like a human, or understand simple poo poo like coming in to work sick is both non-productive and a health risk for your fellow employees, risking further losses in production. Would losing my job and that income suck? Yes, but there are levels of existence that I am prepared to withstand in order to remain human.

We live in a country that would not exist if people had not stood up for themselves. Now look at us. Stop being part of the problem, and start being part of the solution.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Khisanth Magus posted:

Exactly. I do not just have to worry about myself. I have a wife with severe health problems. We have lots of animals we care for almost as if they were our children. I do not have the option of doing something stupid like getting fired or even worse quitting and not even getting unemployment. Congrats on being single without a mortgage, car payments, high student loans, and other such burdens. Must be great for you. The rest of us don't have that option.

Stop making assumptions about me. I am single but have a 17 year old son who lives 180 miles away, costing me a shitton of gas and time just to see him, not to mention child support. I already have said I have a mortgage, and car payments. I do not have student loans because I rolled that into my refinance on my house. I am very sorry to hear about your wife, but that should give you even more incentive to fight for yourself, and her.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Because of my specific circumstances, I can afford to get fired for standing up for myself, so

I don't read this forum that often, but when I do, I notice you are easily the most negative person with nothing constructive to say. How do I ignore users on here?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

jim truds posted:

I would recommend following your own advice and stop making assumptions about everyone. Your argument is really dumb and presumes everyone is in a situation where they can putting it all on the line.

Really the answer is unionize but that does bring its own risks for people. And people in IT are dumb.

What assumptions have I made? I am under at least as much financial stress as anyone else, as I have said. According to the government I live at or below the poverty level. If my argument, which is only to say that everyone has options, is stupid then your argument is that everyone doesn't have options? Come on. Sheep mentality.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Hey man, cheer up, stop being so negative.

Maybe if you quit your lovely job you wouldn't be so upset.

:)

I think you need to go back and reread everything I have said. To paraphrase, I like my job. The reason I am pissed is that I have to go to clients offices where they think they have to come in sick or something bad will happen to them. So therefore, I get sick. When my coworkers come in sick I tell them to go home. If I wasn't able to call in sick, I would quit post haste because that would mean my boss is a shitbird and too stupid to understand that sickness is non-productive.

If you are in fact being positive then I take back what I said earlier about ignoring you, and apologize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

pixaal posted:

You see to be overly negative about everything in your posts, this thread is all about bitching about stuff in IT. I'm sure most people exaggerate some things, or rarely run into a situation that they need to bitch about, the thread is great for that. Other people bitch about how lovely their jobs are, but they either get payed or have some other aspect of the job they enjoy. I doubt anyone is staying in their job if they are miserable and NOT looking for a better place.

Point taken. This has really gone off on a tangent and if my points are being taken as negative, or sanctimonious, then I am not making them well. I am actually a very empathetic person so when I see other people around me suffer it pisses me off and I want to do something about it. Since I can't control what other people do, I go and rant about it like an impotent jerk on a public forum.

Here's a positive: I resurrected a client's laptop today by baking the motherboard at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.