Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Lum posted:

Reminds me of the Win3.1 -> NT4 migration at my first job, only replace "Visio" with "CorelDraw" and "SmartDraw" with "Powerpoint 97".

CorelDraw was really good for technical diagrams back in the day. PowerPoint, not so much.
We have a partner who still does this. In 2013. And they send them as PPTX files which is great given that there's only one person in engineering who uses Windows on their work machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Files provided by a company you will have heard of (Fairly confident this is anonymous enough!)
Co-worker found these powerpoint files (yes, there is a major vendor out there that sends out forms to be filled in as powerpoints) were crashing Mac Office and decided to check for viruses. I really REALLY hope these are false positives, especially as I opened them on my machine to work on them (x64 office with macros off) and my antivirus didn't pick up anything.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

People keep turning on Outlook's junk mail filter and then wondering where all their critically important emails are going. <PLONK>
The best thing is when the Director of IT (or some equally important sounding role) threatens to cancel their contract with you because they've seen this happening and it must be your (MDM product) fault. Then again, even with iOS 7 Outlook/iOS is a miserable combination so we can now at least point customers to pages that show how common (and unrelated to us) whatever issue they are having is.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Just to rub things in, I happen to know from 2 sources that there's absolutely no security on any of the iDevices, not even the most basic (and easily worked around) MDM.
There was originally a commitment to evaluate the different MDM providers before allowing devices to be used (as in, this is what government ministers were told would be happening) but Call-Me-Dave seems to like the "Prime Minister's control centre" app he has for his iPad that that all got thrown out.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

fivre posted:

My first job asked me for my SAT scores. :raise:
In the UK I've seen more than one mid-level / senior dev job (5~10 years experience, minimum) where they make demands on your GCSE and A-Level grades (exams you take at ~16 and ~18), often ignoring the fact that the system has changed several times in the past 10 years, so their applicants won't be able to provide the sort of grades / number of results they want. Asking for any sort of pre-degree qualifications for a non entry level job is one of the biggest warning signs there is, IMO.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Wasn't that what those DivX DVDs were supposed to do back when they existed?

DIVX was a permanent rental system where the players would phone home to check you still had a valid license for the disc, there was a company that developed a replacement data layer for DVDs that would rot after 48 hours. The whole thing was canned when it was pointed out what a horrific environmental impact the things would have (as the outer plastic wouldn't rot, just the data layer, so they'd all be thrown away after one play, useless)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

Web application not accepting email addresses with a dash as valid :argh:
This. Pretty much every web form I have ever seen on a project has totally broken email address validation (my favourite one was not accepting dots BEFORE the @ sign. The bug that required the user part of the email address to be more than 6 characters when my work-assigned address had 5 letters before the @ was amusing too though) and when it's brought up the usual response is "oh, we're not fixing that, I am certain the email address you are trying isn't valid anyway" - if you're lucky then email address validation gets removed, and given how baroque the specifications for what is or is not a valid email address are then that's probably the best you are going to get.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

eithedog posted:

Probably if you're accustomed to mac, it's very clear and sensible, but at least these things messed up with my brain.
In my experience - using a mac / iPhone and iOS related dev work, if you think, or can think, like Apple want you to then it's all rainbows and kittens. However there's not the flexibility to solve problems in several ways that you have on *nix/Windows. Also Apple's developer resources are god-awful (though this appears to be true for all the major mobile vendors...)

I've heard before that "oh, lots of Unix devs have moved to Apple, as it's the best Unix there is" and I'd love for this to be true, but I haven't found it to be (i.e. the real Unix grognards are still stuck on full-strength Unix, it's Java or PHP devs who moved over - tools that tend to be deployed on Unix as it were)

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 11, 2013

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Lum posted:

I think the Gravis UltraSound may have defaulted to 10, but I was never rich enough to own one of those, and back in those days you either owned a SoundBlaster compatible card, or you didn't get sound in half of your games.
SoundBlaster for games, yes, but I remember being irritated as hell at a bunch of demos only supporting Gravis for sound.

Bob Morales posted:

PC speaker has always been 'just a buzzer'. And there was never 'PC speaker music'

Either you're being sarcastic about the quality, or else you never played PC games before Adlib cards became popular (I also remember there being a "PC Speaker" soundcard driver for Windows 3.1 though it's been so long that I can't remember if it was 1st or 3rd party.)

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 13, 2013

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Crowley posted:

(Couldn't/wouldn't afford a Sound Blaster)
It was - IMO, more than young enough that it was really my parents paying - worth getting a legit Creative Labs card just for the hours of entertainment that Dr Sbaitso provided.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

GargleBlaster posted:

Made me giggle when I was 10.
Sadly, once you've hit the point where you see at least one lorry a day driving around with "Fukushita" written on the side (I never managed to read further to see what it was they did, that was enough to set me off laughing) the bar ends up raised.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Sickening posted:

He really is a nice guy. He just doesn't understand infosec and doesn't take it seriously.
This is true of a gently caress-load of people who should know better, including people who have this as their actual job - including people who make software which is sold as being an important part of a defence in depth strategy (This is both good and bad for us - bad because it's irritating, good because it's lead to sales we thought we had lost when people have realised what it is they've actually bought)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
People - even in this thread - don't think broadly enough about the issues involved I'm afraid. When you look at people discussing mobile devices in the office - including BYOB - their first priority, and often their only priority, is having reporting/management. The fact that they're allowing black-box portable computers onto their networks with no form of access control is something they appear to have blanked on (and some of the major MDM vendors don't actually know what "Access control" is!) - there's going to be a major scandal in the next 12 months, heads will roll, and hopefully lessons will be learned, but I'm afraid that most of the people being paid to do this won't actually have the first clue about what to do until then.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

evol262 posted:

Sane companies (the kind in regulated industries where you could have a major scandal) don't allow BYOB devices onto unrestricted networks without a corporate image or corporate management of the device. Policies are already in place in banking and healthcare.

"Mobile Device Management" doesn't do what you think it does. I'm pretty sure that there've been people who work in healthcare in this thread or the next talking about how they've deployed AirWatch and I can assure you that they are next to useless in terms of information security (as in, they've been losing deals OR having the customer pull in additional vendors in on deals, negating the point of them too late.) - can't go into any further detail here as it'd break client confidentiality here but I can assure you you're wrong (There's also the UK government as an example here - Call Me Dave's special suite of Prime Ministerial applications for his iPad are famous, but said iPad doesn't have any credible protection installed. This comes from a member of the cabinet so anonymous for obvious reasons)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

evol262 posted:

It is a way to ensure that blackbox devices can be purged from your corporate network if lost, and that devices have basic controls before you allow them access to corporate resources.

Yeah except that's not really true as it's trivial to disable/work around - unless you're saying that you're using certificate authentication on your wireless network and have cleverly added your "block iTunes" and "disable camera" restrictions to that profile (as Apple recommend) so they can't delete one without the other - the Apple mantra is "trust the user", something that's pretty much useless for the enterprise, and Google's MDM solution is literally just being able to set the required password strength. It's the equivalent of disabling local admin on your desktop / laptop computers and thinking "well, that's us secure"

Without wanting to sound like this is an ad hominem - after all you may end up a future customer, and we've discussed earlier in the thread that a lot of the issue is really just a lack of sufficient training - have you ever considered that you may be part of the problem?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

TWBalls posted:

Well, poo poo. I work in healthcare I.T. and we're getting ready to deploy a MDM (I think it's Airwatch, I'll have to double-check). :(
If you're just looking to keep track of the iDevices you have and render out some nice reports, Airwatch are great for that - better than we are to be honest. If you want to find out about the weaknesses of the solution you've picked, or you find that there are weaknesses you need fixed, drop me an email at my username @gmail.com and we can switch over to my proper work email and discuss things (yes, I work for a competitor to AirWatch, that's how Gartner view us at least, not sure that's how WE view ourselves, so if you're a cynical sort now is time to take your pinch of salt)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Misogynist posted:

Not even the Gartner Magic Quadrant for MDM? :haw:
I can't imagine they have the cash to keep on paying for that!

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

This buildout and transition has been teetering on the verge of clusterfuck for a couple of weeks. The CEO insists we have to move 12/27 and be ready Monday morning. So it's a good thing I don't have plans for Christmas!
Only mildly related, but what is it about US companies that they seem to plan on taking the week or so stretch that EVERYWHERE else in the world takes off (not just "Christian" countries, Japan is pretty shut from the 26th or so til early January) and packing it with as much exciting upgrade activity as the rest of the year put together?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Sirotan posted:

She's going to be rewarded for her carelessness with an SSD I ordered before I got a chance to see this thing.
In our experience, at least, SSDs are far far less tolerant of being dropped/knocked than normal hard drives, so there's that small joy to look forward to at least.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Are you using OCZ drives or something?
I've genuinely not cracked a case open to check but they seem to take badly to shipping from the server vendor to us - all I hear is the complaints about DOA drives in "tested" machines (and in a couple of cases discs that were fine when we set them up but not fine 4000 miles later) - I'll admit it's counter-intuitive though.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
http://www.dailydot.com/crime/cybercrime-wifi-wealth-managers/

This. In this case I don't know if it's Kroll lying for good PR (because security companies seem to lie all the time - I know of at least one competitor who've demoed a feature they have "in beta on iOS" when Apple haven't actually written the feature yet, and then there's the usual lies to get sales (Seriously, there's at least one vendor out there selling poo poo they haven't even started to write yet, though it's my understanding that customers are beginning to become sophisticated enough to shoo off the worst snake oil salesmen)) or if the IT guys at "wealth management" companies are awful at security but I can think of 2 or 3 fairly trivial ways to make this class of attack totally impossible to pull off.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I've complained about "large vendor" before here several times.
Well, given http://bgr.com/2013/12/04/samsung-knox-mobile-security-problems/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews I figure I can name names for one of my ongoing problems now, right?

The article doesn't nearly come close to explaining what a clusterfuck KNOX is, which is pretty weird as Samsung did a great job with SAFE. The "oh, Samsung have had issues bringing up a services department" is a poo poo excuse - yes, licensing is a complete mystery right now, but that's the sort of thing you worry about once your actual API is in some sort of working state. I don't think I can go into details about what is wrong without breaking the NDA, but this is the worst API I have dealt with in 10 years as a developer (in so many ways) - and responses from support are hilariously slow due, I can only assume, to them being snowed under by the fact that every single partner they have invited into the programme has to ask so many questions to even start to get simple things working (going by variable names, at least some of the KNOX stuff is licensed from someone else rather than written in-house, and that particular library has a bunch of standards-compliancy issues with it we have tried to explain to the vendor without success, so I can't wait to see how it's been broken in this case)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
A Robert X Cringely article for you - he's one of a handful of IT pundits who is right almost as often as he is wrong, and his suggestions here are certainly believable (I know that there've been issues where UK data has leaked via poorly paid Indian outsourcers at least) - even better, read through the comments for a guy who totally fails to understand how chip and pin would mitigate against whatever happened here.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Means that you need the vendor to be corrupt now as well, so it should stop some of the hilariously goofy skimming that used to happen.

3DSecure is a loving stupid piece of security theatre though - is this the point to reveal that in my experience the worst programmers out there are the ones who work for banks? Weird as hell given what a slog it actually is (again, in my experience) to get a job working for one.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

xiw posted:

Reverse-engineering WSDL from a word document listing a bunch of SOAPActions: good times.
Obviously this customer hired whoever is in charge of designing web services over at Apple!

Saikonate posted:

Your post and the one you're replying to make me ever more certain that the decision to use SOAP in the first place is a symptom of being terrible at software.

There are a surprising number of people out there who tell their vendor "We want to interface with your system", and when they hear "Oh, we have some web services for that!" then say "Great! Thanks!" only to admit they have no idea what a web service is when they get show the WSDLs. If you can point me to a system that allows you to expose interesting parts of your system to authorised customers without having a large maintenance overhead associated, I'd love to know.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Unless I'm missing something their order page is all over pure http (didn't want to put in payment info in case I accidentally bought something but certainly the form you put in the billing address etc is submitted over http) which would have me looking for a different vendor straight off.

Or am I unusually paranoid about that sort of thing?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Lum posted:

If you can find somewhere else that sells a Li Shin 0227B24130 power supply, I'll bear it in mind for next time.

Side effect of having a degree in (amongst other things) electronic engineering is that I buy to spec rather than model number when picking up replacement power supplies. Power supplies are just about the shittiest (nosiest, furthest out of spec etc) electronic part you're going to find in a system and their quality has only been going down over time.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

The Electronaut posted:

lovely Chinese electric equipment from the Iraqi vendors caused tons of electrical shorts and fires while I was there. There were multiple advisories about these hunks of crap. It all seemed to be related to the power strips and converters related to the Butt plug.

The butt plug? Autocomplete gone crazy? over-agressive Cloud-To-Butt (though even then, I have no idea what a "Cloud Plug" is)? or just dislike of God's Own Plug Standard, the Type G?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Lum posted:

Is this the part of the thread where the work from home crowd get all :smug:

I spent a significant part of the (working) day wearing my wife's dressing gown because the cat was sleeping on mine, and I didn't want to disturb him, so :smug: it is

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

EDIT: honestly the posting doesn't sound terrible, but I have no interest in either QA nor programming, am not a recent college graduate (unless a year and change counts) and have no idea who this person or company are.

I still get these from time to time and I graduated 11 years ago. IT recruiters are both hilariously bad and - for the company - hilariously expensive. There's a reason that every company I have worked for has had some sort of bonus system if you can introduce them to one of your friends who is a good programmer.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It's something that pisses me off because Oracle hosed up their certs

Samsung did EXACTLY the same thing in December. Then they took the site down for about a week. Then they sent an email out to users with a notification of planned downtime starting 2 days before the email was sent. So it could be worse.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Is this the wrong time to point out that assuming they've not been thrown out at some point while I was in Japan, I should have a copy of Arcada Backup Exec lying around somewhere (but no floppy drive to read the diskettes). Have Symantec managed to get Backup Exect to a point where it's worth than that?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Westie posted:

I've spent three days sweating over this piece of poo poo solution now. It's almost like someone's homework assignment was to make Amazon, and one of the criteria for it was to make it as awkward as possible to use.

Sounds like when Amazon finished writing their APIs, they sent off the interns who'd built them (unsupervised) to Samsung.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

dogstile posted:

Also, desk time is rigid as hell, if they see me with my phone on the desk they tell me to put it away and if i'm a minute or two late signing onto the phones then they actually dock it off my annual leave, meaning that yes, I had 7 hours 58 minutes worth of leave I could take and they expected me to come in for the two minutes. I wasn't allowed a full day off.
That's hilariously illegal by the way. Not a huge shocker given the other dumb poo poo the people you work for seem to be up to.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Westie posted:

eBay however can go and royally gently caress itself. eBay is the only organisation that I know of that wants people to pay £45 to get two support tickets. Not even three. Two.
What the gently caress is the deal there, eh?

They've seen Apple's pricing. That said, Apple actually refund you if you can prove it's their fuckup.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I do not know who came up with the idea, but there are "things" that you can configure on iOS via bitwise or. In XML. Seriously, wtf? This isn't a slow wire protocol on some hilarious constrained device, this is full fat XML over 4G/WiFi on a platform that's more powerful than the desktops of 10 years ago.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

guppy posted:

I'm not sure why that would be a "problem." That would be great.

I once worked at a company where my "official company photo" - admittedly in the on-line employee database rather than an ID card - was a 6 year old photo of me at Halloween, dressed as Mr T (complete with Mohican, beard, and "gold" jewellery)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

MrMoo posted:

The number of companies who are too lazy to update to Windows 7 APIs for language and region settings.

There are probably more companies that manage to push out apps that end up half-English half-other language than do it properly (especially fun when you've downloaded the "US" version of the driver/app rather than the "multilingual" or regionalised version)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

What the hell? He's the type of guy you'd expect to understand those concepts
Spoken like someone who has never seen the sort of software that electronics vendors manage to come up with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Volmarias posted:

There is no best vendor. There are only degrees of worse. Samsung is the least worst.

If you work in San Jose, I hate you (other vendors at least have a go at testing their APIs before releasing them to the public / advertising them heavily)