Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Ursine Asylum posted:

How it managed to break and not disconnect my tunnel, though? No idea, but this is also a blocker that let people access Facebook.com via [url]https://[/url] instead of [url]http://[/url] for 6 months too, so. v:shobon:v

The firewall probably doesn't apply ACLs to established, ongoing connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

anthonypants posted:

Some outside vendor is trying to SSH in, but they're getting blocked and don't know why. According to our UNIX/Linux guy, incoming connections are limited during tax season, that they'll just have to keep trying, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Errr... What?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

quote:

poo poo that pisses you off

sendmail.

Can't get a DNS lookup for some mail's destination? CONSUME ALL CPU ON THE SERVER

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

evol262 posted:

Windows 8.1: Start Button

:microsoft:

Is there anything else compelling about 8.1?

Turning off the loving charms bar hot corners.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

My first job asked me for my SAT scores. :raise:

That said, they're pretty drat weird in general.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Damnit Skype, you're now owned by the largest purveyor of software for business environments and you still can't implement a port range option to allow for an outbound traffic policy saner than "just leave everything above port 1024 wide open"?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Misogynist posted:

What is your front-line support doing all day? Are they trying to get users off the phone as fast as possible so they can get back to anime forums

As a front-line support person (insofar as higher-level support is the engineering team), yes, this is exactly what I do every day.

That said, slowness problems are a pain in the rear end to troubleshoot. Something outright not working is pretty easy to demonstrate and can usually be traced to some obvious point of failure even if the reason for the failure isn't immediately clear; trying to find the root cause or even evidence of a subjective problem by looking at encrypted packet captures is much more difficult.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Doesn't Windows just support SCP stuff out of the box? I'm pretty sure I SCP'd some stuff of my "lab" Catalyst to my computer through Putty without having to really set anything else up.

PuTTY isn't out of the box, but neither is openssh on some distros so whatever.

PuTTY does not do sshd, for that you'd need something like http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

poo poo that pisses me off: Windows' broken USB stack refusing to recognize my keyboard/mouse after its been "unplugged/replugged" via my KVM.

Other poo poo: our overseas support office for calls outside US timezones operates in one of two modes:
1) is the ticket already assigned to someone in the US? Promise the customer things outside the scope of support if they send in some files, and then end the call.
2) is the ticket unassigned? Assign it to yourself, ask the customer to send in files, and do nothing. Hope the customer eventually calls in during US hours so that we take over the ticket out of pity.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

evol262 posted:

It's 2013. 99% of websites are going to hit external tracking APIs, cached JavaScript frameworks, or some other mess.

Or use js to establish connections on non-http ports! Thankfully I've only seen that one once; most of them do something sane.

Either way, content filtering is usually stupid enough on its own, but content filtering by whitelist rather than blacklist? Are you nuts?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Misogynist posted:

e: never mind, this is stupid

Yes, yes it is.

Pissing me off again: sendmail. Something gone wrong with trying to send mail? Spawn processes infinitely until you forkbomb the server!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

evol262 posted:

confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN

Oh I know. We have a KB for limiting it, and I'm really not sure why it's not limited by default considering that it's used only for sending the occasional alert message in most deployments and should never need more than 3 or so forks. It's still just minimizing the damage done, and doesn't change sendmail's stupid responses to problems.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

pixaal posted:

Pissing me off: People who bring in personal routers and give DHCP to 192.168.1.x, and the previous techs who thought making a valid network on 192.168.1.x to manage switches was a GREAT idea, no need for passwords because our network in 10.x.x.x! Thankfully no one seems to have messed with anything but gently caress if I know, now I need to bring up securing this mess.

Best part is this has been an issue on and off for 4 months with people occasionally getting 192.168.1.x IPs but I've only really seen it either right before leaving or right before lunch and IPconfig /release /renew has always fixed it, and is the departments official fix for it. I finally got one early in the day and one where release renew didn't fix it. TELNET has a password so blocking the routers MAC wasn't going to happen so the switch go a new IP for a few minutes while I disabled DHCP on the configured consumer grade router. I still have no idea where the gently caress that thing is located.

This brings me fond memories of my college helpdesk days and bringing down the wrath of God upon anyone who did this.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Yaos posted:

What is it with web developers? Why do they insist on pulling this poo poo? It's web based, it should work in any browser. Even Netflix uses Silverlight but at least they are switching to HTML5.

Delicious legacy ActiveX code. Screw you, Siebel.

Also how the hell did IE8's coders manage to write it such that there's a 5-second lag to open a new tab on a goddamn i7.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Figuring out the technical client requirements for a VPN is probably easier by just banging client configs against it when you have access to both sides of the config/logs and it's understandable if he didn't want to try to hash it out in a meeting without any actual technical testing.

That said, expecting tickets to be done without a specified deadline is pretty dumb.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Siochain posted:

Man, that's enough to close you? drat. Its been -40 or lower (celcius or faranheit, take your pick, they catch up around -39 or so.) Bloody cold. And still I work. Ah well, c'est la vie. Going to get our asses kicked today by post-holiday support rush, huzzah!

We're around -20F with windchill and half the team is out because their car wouldn't start or something. Mine somehow did with only one try, though it didn't sound great doing it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

McGlockenshire posted:

Ahahahaha, it's sendmail. And here I thought I was done dealing with that poo poo after purging it from my network.

You can never get rid of sendmail. It's like a cockroach.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

No Your Other Left posted:

What's pissing me off? Having a degree in technical writing and having to listen to people turning a set of instructions into a kludged-together mess because they don't want to spend extra money on printing more than one version. You know what costs money? Angry confused customers! :argh:

Printed full documentation in TYOOL 2014?

Also, customers that read documentation rather than just calling into support immediately?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Crowley posted:

Internship on a COBOL team? As if anyone who knows COBOL would take an internship when they can get a 150k+ job instead.

poo poo that's pissing me off today: Gmail and their constant erosion of the simple, clean mail solution it used to be. I don't want to receive mail from random idiots on G+, and I really don't like that Google made it out-out.

Outlook.com is looking better and better every day, if only there was an iPhone app for it. :sigh:

The tabbed inbox was a nice addition for creating a very simple "filter mail into stuff I don't care about seeing quickly and stuff I do" that's much quicker to configure than the filter creation process.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

rolleyes posted:

I can't see why Google's spam filter would be any less effective against spam from a Google+ account. If anything it should be more intelligent as it can consider things like the age of the account and whether or not it's connected to any of your circles.

That's not to say I didn't disable this option immediately (mostly because I don't use Google+) but it's not necessarily the drama people are trying to make it out to be.

Well you say that...

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

This. This is what too many people in IT don't understand. They get too involved in their projects. You are paid to code, to set up systems, to manage networks. If those systems aren't used? Not your issue dude, just go on to the next project.

Once I learned this, my alcohol consumption went down 70% easily.

The flipside of this build-to-spec mentality where you capitulate to the demands of dinosaurs who understand the workflow they've been using forever and who are you IT person to tell them how their department should work is that the world ends up with things like websites that close after 6pm because that's what the brick and mortar office does so why would a website function any different.

But yeah, blame management for refusing to believe IT should have any input on how IT products function.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

I have to wonder why Microsoft hasn't figured out a way to automatically upload attachments larger than X to an FTP server and add a link in the message. Google manages to do it with Gmail and Drive.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Install Windows posted:

Drive is something Google owns and controls, some random FTP server is not something Microsoft owns and controls.

They do make IIS though, and tend to do a good job integrating their products.

Yes, people would treat it like permanent storage and complain when something from 5 years ago goes missing, even with a disclaimer, but I feel like that's preferable to the current options of do the same thing manually or upload it to some cyberlocker service that will also delete it after a while or be taken down for DMCA violations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

NZAmoeba posted:

poo poo that comes across yearly that pisses you off: filling out my performance review and I'm staring at a blank page wanting to blow my loving brains out.

And I had a GOOD year :suicide:

Ours has canned responses available by pressing a button in the review webpage. Our boss is totally okay with us using this.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Then everyone blames their firewall for issues like "this address is unrouteable" and "this server isn't responding".

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait, are you saying that someone who is supposedly just doing network support all day long can't be held exempt from OT? I am kind of confused by all this.

This is what I do, pretty much, and I am not exempt, despite being salaried and making over $455 a week. On the other hand, I almost never work overtime. When I worked a previous job that had some executive duties (project management, which I guess counts) in addition to technical support, I was exempt.

In practice, I'm pretty sure companies do whatever the gently caress they want, and that I'm non-exempt is more a quirk of how I'm classified by payroll, since our department functions differently than most of the company.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

A configuration file that has example syntax that isn't commented, but entirely ignored, and also has comments:
code:
# stuff should look like this
# begin
#   foo(whatever)
#   bar(whatever)
# end

begin
  foo(whatever)
  bar(whatever)
end
If you put anything between begin and end, it's ignored. If you put something after, with the same syntax as the content between begin/end, it works. This isn't documented anywere but the source code.

:wtc:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Sickening posted:

First of all, the firewall is a big mess of wtf. Objects are missing nat entries and someone appears to be confused on when something should be outgoing or incoming when it comes to rules. I delete them and start over. We are talking maybe 30 lines of rules and 8 nat translations for servers. Maybe 15 minutes of actual work.

This is pretty much every firewall ever.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

Good sweet Jesus. Why on earth was he using Linux to begin with if he couldn't look at basic log files?

Let me introduce you to *nix admins who aren't familiar with the cd and mv commands.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I... what? :psyduck:

How do they do anything?

:edit: They must use a GUI. Tell me they just use a GUI.

They are technically network admins, and use a Windows-based remote administration GUI almost all the time.

Still, I find it hard to believe that they've never used any sort of shell other than Cisco given the proliferation of *nix-based network appliances in the world. Hell, even Windows has "cd" at least on the command line.

The breadth of knowledge required in modern IT pretty much guarantees that you're going to have significant knowledge gaps somewhere. I can't tell you jack poo poo about anything below the network layer beyond "switches/ethernet/802.11x/CatX/FC/etc. is voodoo magic operated by gremlins.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah but how do you know how to "break things"?

Install Arch. It starts out almost useless. You will break things by trying to do basic things like "connect to the internet and log onto SA." Ditto FreeBSD, but Arch has the added bonus of breaking every month using the magic of rolling release.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

My standard question I use to people is:

Grab in any way possible just the ip address from eth0 using ifconfig and any amount of pipes.

It's amazing how many people can't use grep awk and cut, and cut is optional!

ifconfig eth0 |grep "inet addr" |awk -F":" '{print $2}' |awk '{print $1}'

with cut:

ifconfig eth0 |grep "inet addr" |awk -F":" '{print $2}' |cut -d' ' -f 1

ifconfig eth0
and then grab the address with your eyes because that's what they're for.

If you need to actually slurp it out for a script, Google will write the goddamn query for you as you start typing "ip from if...", and then presto! Someone has already solved this problem!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Just sign recruiters up for cat facts.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

I only internal recruiters from major tech firms, that I'm not at all qualified for as far as I know--though I've gotten second round interviews at both. :humblebrag:

Maybe it's because I'm young and Linux people are high in demand in that sector?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

I'm surprised the Google bus hasn't turned into the Google ferry yacht yet. Maybe that's what the Google barge is!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

TWBalls posted:

For us, it's kinda like being able to work at a moments notice, but at the same time we're allowed to live. I mean, if you're out to dinner with the family at a restaurant and get a page, it's not like you have to drop everything and go in. We have to respond (call the end user) within 15 mins. After that, we have something like an hour to begin working on the issue. So, while we can't be drunk, we can have at least a drink after hours to relax.

We also have a backup on-call person, though they almost never have to do anything. If the primary misses the page, after 15 mins it will page the secondary who then is supposed to call the user to see if the primary has responded or not. If not, they'll usually see if they can get ahold of the primary before trying to work on the issue.

That being said, it's entirely possible that the person paging will be an rear end in a top hat and still try to get you in trouble for taking too long even if we're within SLA. Thankfully, the director is pretty good about telling them that we responded and fixed the issue well withing the time frame we're allowed. (I work in healthcare I.T., if that matters)

I'm really glad I got out of healthcare IT before being on call. It's always "FIX IT NOW PEOPLE ARE DYING."

Here is on call too eventually but it's second line support and gets a sizeable bonus every night you take any call of any sort. I want to be on call.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Someone posted a site to HN where people guess your salary based on your LinkedIn. It says I'm underpaid by about $35k.

Granted its all SV people with no concept of COL outside the bay area but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Sarcasmatron posted:

This is why I like gmail's "mute" feature.

Outlook has it too, it just doesn't work very well.

On a related note, if someone's sending OOO messages, and Outlook shows it, why does it still send you the message? Extra fun when it's to a huge list of people.