Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

cage-free egghead posted:

From a mistress perhaps? lol

See if you can take over the relationship as well as the phone. Finders keepers, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sheep posted:

In phone interviews if I don't know something I just say "would you mind if I run upstairs and thumb through my textbooks to see if I have the "on hand" or whatever. The next best thing to actively studying and learning is not throwing out the textbooks you used in the past.

"Okay, looked it up in Knuth, give me ten minutes to translate the assembler into C..."

"In your distant and fog-shrouded land, has nobody heard of class libraries?"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I'm, uh, I'm REASONABLY sure that AWS is not going to change their interviewing process because a random poster on a homonecrotic* forum suggested to one of their employees that they should.

*not mine, stolen from a recent post in another thread
Amazon's interviewing process is a legend for sucking in irrelevant ways. When my husband interviewed, he was coached by his recruiter to look up Amazon's Leadership Principles and fit as many of them in as he could shoehorn into the conversation. He did. He got the job. He resigned because it was Hell on earth.

Cargo-culting the interview process for FAANG is a great way to implement a hazing culture that doesn't actually work well at any of those companies, but it doesn't matter because they're both hiring from and discarding the top N% to start with. If you, Fred Startup McNoname, ask a senior network engineer to code BizBuz on a whiteboard, they will laugh at you and go work somewhere else.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Best of luck!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I got submitted for one of those roles by a recruiter but apparently the fact that I applied to a role with AWS independently a year+ ago meant that they didn't want a recruiter submitting me.

That's been standard for as long as I've been in the tech industry. Nobody wants to pay recruiter fees if they already saw the candidate without them, even though they will never actually check their old files for candidates.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

luminalflux posted:

Just sign him in as a guest like everyone else

:perfect:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The Fool posted:

route 53, azure dns, or cloudflare
Is there a reason not to use Google DNS? Been using it out of force of habit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The Fool posted:

confusion probably mine, but dns management and dns resolvers aren't the same thing

No, the confusion was all mine. Sorry!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

FlapYoJacks posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: AWS DNS is down for my company.

Oh no, now I have to sit at home and play video games. How awful!
As long as your video game provider isn't also using AWS...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

In my very first interview in IT, they were asking if I had any experience with "sequel" and I had no idea what they were talking about. I had only ever read the term SQL. It was quite embarrassing.
I worked for Oracle, and everybody calls it "S-Q-L".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Thomamelas posted:

Because being the C-Level who pissed away millions on their services looks bad. Thus you can never blame them when you have peons who can eat the blame.

"Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM", as we said in the '70s.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

https://twitter.com/iammemeloper/status/1680871461622276098

:wth:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mr. Fix It posted:

firefox is the only non webkit/blink/chromium/whatever browser left so it's your moral imperative to use it
I do, and you'd be amazed how many websites don't work in Firefox. It's the browser wars all over again.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I do a lot of online shopping, and at least once a week some site that wants a form filled in breaks utterly on Firefox, even with extensions off, but works fine on Chrome. Government sites and small online stores are the most likely to fail.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Blue Moonlight posted:

Glad it’s useful for you though!

I want it as a BonziBuddy add-on.
:golfclap:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

nielsm posted:

In a good world, that kind of tool would be used to detect broken workflows and start improvement projects.
Sitting and thinking is part of the workflow.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

All of this, essentially. Capital broke the deal first, and we know we exist only as bloodbags for the executive class and higher.
This. When we started computer touching in the eighties, my husband's dad was very worried that we lost pensions by job switching. Ha. Ha haha. Back then there was a three-year rule: change jobs more often, you might be a flake. Change jobs less often, why didn't anybody else want you?

Three years. Seems like a long time now. Doesn't it?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

nielsm posted:

Some people seriously need a metaphorical shoulder to cry on about their issue, or to hear some compassion. It really helps to just engage in some small talk and let them cry about how terrible everything is when <thing> is broken. Convince them that you understand how bad it is, and it's easier to extract useful diagnostic information. Letting the caller talk about their problem is also a good way to feel out what their technical level is, and what kinds of explanations and question phrasings are useful, or may be TMI.

You are a kind person. Well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sywert of Thieves posted:

There's a lotta people on here complaining that Google Search sucks, but not a whole lot saying they stopped using it.

DuckDuckGo is right there!
I use DuckDuckGo, and it's drowning in AI spam sites just like Google is.