Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

flosofl posted:

Did you slip up in the midst of your rage and give us his real name, there?

B-b-b-but muh OPSEC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

You're sure you went to the right website?

It's pretty clear-cut at http://www.gns3.com/

Edit: Remember that GNS3 is the company name as well as the product. Clicking "About GNS3" is the company profile.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Sheep posted:

We got a "great job!" email sent to "All employees" from some random person last Friday. It's still making the rounds today with people reply-all'ing with such insightful commentary as "Yay!" and "Good job team!". :sigh:

"Fantastic job, QA!

...Also please remove me from this mailing list, thanks."

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

Friend of mine had a job offer for a company in town starting next week. She had gotten the offer letter last month and had the contract and everything.

Today she calls to confirm that everything is still green and they tell her "Actually, we already filled that position with someone else."

Good loving thing she didn't put in her resignation yet or she would've walked into the new job just to be informed she didn't have it. What the gently caress kind of company does this?

Sue them, if that's possible.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

I was uninstalling shitloads of stuff from a client's machine, as they were moving to a hosted environment.

First thing I uninstalled was Teamviewer :negative:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Exit Strategy posted:

My favorite thing about my terminal heart condition is getting to call into work and go "Man, I've got some serious chest pain today. I'ma take some vicodin and go back to bed, mark me out as sick."

So it's me. I'm the poo poo pissing off the junior tech today.

Have you considered taking part in a Tough Mudder?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

Uh, recruiter emails are not official job offers, and therefore should be considered entirely meaningless with respect to pay or benefits or anything resembling the truth at all, ever. Even if they had some kind of weight behind them, waving those in a current employer's face is not leverage, it's a direct threat. You might as well walk in and say, "If you don't pay me what <coworker is making> I'm gonna quit!" Even reasonable managers are probably not going to take that very well, and a lot of managers have paper maché egos. Don't do it.

Feel free to ask for the raise, that doesn't hurt anyone. But don't be surprised when they reject a 30% increase.

It does help show he's not getting paid market rate though. It's a gamble, however; your boss could take that as a warning that you'll be leaving asap.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I can't eat without feeling like I'm going to throw up, even though it hasn't happened yet. Nose stuffy, head butty, sinuses draining, dizzy when I stand. Sent an email this morning, I am off today, and probably tomorrow.

Still getting a ton of emails about what is the status of this, what's up with this? I... don't know. Guess I'll find out Wednesday?

I... Don't know why you're still checking your emails?

You've sent in notice, you can rest.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

psydude posted:

Well, nobody is here today but apparently my annoying coworker is still coming in. And there go my plans for a quiet, relaxing day to dick around and catch up on most of the poo poo I haven't had time to do.

Does your coworker narrate every single action, problem or error he might encounter just like mine?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

beep boop what is this concept you call... offline

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Sounds a little scammy. At least, it's similar to the scam where a random company will call up under the guise of replacing supplies. Once you simply confirm the model of the printer you've got, they ship a shitload and pressure you to pay the invoice. Which makes this one extremely unlikely, considering the effort I guess.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Sylink posted:

I also have the problem of I get some insane dude who was working on Unix since the 70s and is so overqualified we can't afford him.

He might be overqualified on paper, but what if every single hiring manager made the same assumption as you? He might be completely desperate at this point.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

My old MSP's office manager was called Dorris, and controlled where everyone sat. The technical director called it his DHCP service

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Trammel posted:

If I need a single server, or a complete preconfigured 15 machine end-to-end environment (databases, webservers, nginx, esb, etc.) for testing, it's just a single command line tool and waiting a couple a few minutes. Then, they're automatically killed at the end of the business day. I'm just a dev, and I can spin up whatever machines I need.

If the production servers need scaling out, that's changing some limits in configuration files, and redeploying.

We used to run in 3 datacentres, now 2, this year, it'll be 1 + Amazon, and I expect next year, purely on other peoples managed hardware.

i was sceptical, but there's just no comparison in terms of speed of configuration, scalability and flexibility.

Are you implying he's talking about VMs?

because uh

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Always wear a hard-hat in the day-tuh-cennre

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Wizard of the Deep posted:

What's better than an old, creaky Remedy system? An old, creaky Remedy system where half your tickets come in, and a newer, slightly less creaky Remedy system (still woefully out of date, mind you) where the other half comes in!

"Wait, is this ticket in Blue Remedy or Yellow Remedy?"

I haven't found the point where the drinking makes the pain stop.

I had to do that at the last MSP I worked at. Never loving again. The most frustrating thing about this was there wasn't really any reason why we couldn't switch over; the system was that the accounts/sales teams would take the calls and log the tickets; but they were trained in the new system for its sales component as well. They asked to be trained in the ticketing side for just an extra 20 minutes but were denied :psyduck:

Meanwhile, we were told to start using the new system immediately because they didn't want to renew our old system's licenses :laffo:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My boss calls me and will tell me he's going to send me an email about something, and if I don't cut him off, he will literally just sit on the phone with me while he finishes the email and sends it (e: and just to be clear, this can take up to ten minutes, I don't mean he's adding his signature block), then tell me about the email while I read it.

Look dude, I make a number higher than the guy at McDonald's, and less than we'd pay a consulting CCIE - is this really how you care to use my time?

It is really just about the only real power a sys admin has - I do one thing at a time. If there's 3 emergencies, well I guess you should have planned better. So if I get a call from a person who wants me to listen to them type, understand that that is my job, and it pays comparatively well as far as "listening to other people do things while you surf the net" positions go.

A colleague of mine tried to get me to stay on the phone while he rolled a cigarette.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

americanhealthcare.txt

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I honestly dont think our company is going down, there are zero signs of this. In fact are stock went up from like $25 to $30 in one day this week after our earnings call and they keep talking up growth and expansion. I just think there is some major reorganization going on. If I stick around until my options vest I can make some extra money and might even be able to get promoted depending on how things play out.

From what I can tell, your reported problems are only really pertaining to the IT section of the business - The "CIO" sounded more like an IT Management Consultant IMO. If you think there's a good chance the *company* - and not the department - will stay alive, then by all means ride it out. But at the very least I would suggest you update your CV, put your ear to the ground and see what's out there. You don't need to worry about applying but it's useful to just refresh your mind once in a while.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Buyout of the client didn't go through, and as if that isn't bad enough, I'm responsible for my offsite location indefinitely :smith:

There's no discharge in the war.

Not if you YOTJ! Like I need to do.

loving hell do I need to YOTJ. Our sales team is absolutely abysmal. To give some background, the small MSP I work for was bought out by the company next door 6 months ago, when we were circling the drain due to an insane director losing all our contracts. The management team was replaced and a new sales manager was brought in to drum up new business, and manage accounts.

She is awful. 0 new clients in 6 months. Countless project fuckups, and has no IT experience at all. Any time a project/purchase goes to her, she will inevitably send me an email asking me what the product is, how much it is, who she should send the quote to. I did actually end up doing 100% of her job for a couple of projects, and just barely managed to get the commission for it following the fuss she caused.

The crux of the issue is that all future payrises are tied to the performance of the sales team. I've been prepared to give them a few months to allow them to get up to speed, but as it stands I know I'm worth far more $$$ to them than I'm getting paid. Time to move on.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

A somewhat quicker way to do this is to just hold the Windows key down and left/right arrow keys will snap the window to the monitor it's in, then left once more to snap it to the right side of the primary monitor.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

This piece of poo poo public institution I occasionally have to support has chosen to modify their default domain policy such that it controls about a gazillion things. What's the easiest way to unfuck this?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Sickening posted:

Edit out the setting one by one and hope nothing is hosed. Move those settings to proper, separate objects. I personally have never taken over a domain and not found someone who didn't know any better loving with default domain policy.

That's what I was fearing, thanks!

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

A 40 year old woman told me she was going to "tell on me". Her grandfather owns the company!

She's a salesperson. She puts all the new parts in the system that she's going to sell. She puts all the information in, then she sends me 3 random pictures. "Please add these to the system"

What part numbers are these? Which picture goes to what part?

I told her she can add the pictures, she did on the old site, just click on the 'Image' button when you're entering all the other part information...Nope, she doesn't want to do it.

:rolleyes:

Shakin' in my boots over here.

Apologies if I've missed this but why haven't you left this shithole of a company yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

myron cope posted:

What is the point of a "connection broker" and a "gateway" in Remote Desktop Services? The broker decides what RD session host to send you to and the gateway just decides if you're allowed to connect at all? They sound like they should be one thing. Are they separate just for like a gigantic environment scenario?

Basically we're building 4 remote desktop session hosts in 2016 and trying to access via a "farm name" (currently for our 2008r2 environment you just go to term.domain.local and it spits you out on one of the 4). We got it working today by adding everything to DNS with the same name (4 A records called "devterm" pointing to the 4 IPs) and that worked but seemed to ignore the connection broker altogether which defeats the purpose.

They changed drastically from 2008r2 to 2012 and nothing I can find online seems to indicate how it's done now. I can find RDS guides (and it's easy enough to install the roles and whatnot), but none show how to have one name that you connect to.

You need to set an address ("Farm.blah.corp") to point to the connection broker. Then, navigate to "https://farm.blah.corp/RDWeb" (Or whatever you've configured the remote access URL to be) - and from there you can download a special RDP file generated by the connection broker that will load balance across the farm correctly - You can then either send that RDP file out to users or tell them to go to RDWeb every time they want to log on.

Having the CB and GW roles on one server is fine for the size of your organisation.