Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Liquor ipsum dolor sit amet golden dream stolichnaya; jose cuervo ballantine, brandy manhattan! General sherman ramos gin fizz blue hawaii. Glendronach myers grog pisco sour ketel one kamikaze bananarita oban glen keith dufftown. Negroni montgomery, murphy's cuba libre rum swizzle. Vodka martini
Thank Christ someone split this poo poo back out! :woop:

poo poo that pisses me off: Merging 2 very active threads!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Liquor ipsum dolor sit amet golden dream stolichnaya; jose cuervo ballantine, brandy manhattan! General sherman ramos gin fizz blue hawaii. Glendronach myers grog pisco sour ketel one kamikaze bananarita oban glen keith dufftown. Negroni montgomery, murphy's cuba libre rum swizzle. Vodka martini

Inspector_71 posted:

At least with family support you can sigh heavily and go "No. Are you being serious right now?"

Not if you want those brownie's with the caramel and nuts in them to be sent to you on your next birthday! :greatgift:

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

QPZIL posted:

... there's no product key listed on the back of the laptop.

edit-- god drat it I just discovered that Windows 8 OEM keys are embedded in the BIOS so all I have to do is install 8 Standard and it'll auto-detect. I'm a dummy.

Yup. Windows 8 moves to BIOS-based product keys

quote:

The OEM license is actually non-transferable to another PC. When you buy a PC preinstalled with Windows, that version of Windows is only licensed for that PC and cannot be transferred to a new PC. The transfer of the license must accompany the PC it was licensed for. If the customer were able to get that machine fixed, they would simply need to call customer support to re-activate if there were changes big enough to merit PC reset or system recovery unusable.

If you ever want to try to understand Microsoft's licensing scheme, be prepared for some shady poo poo and make sure your health insurance has a good mental health program, because it WILL drive you crazy. Here's my favorite example: If you use 3rd party software to provide graphical interactive sessions (such as XenDesktop) and don't even enable Remote Desktop Services on the server, you still have to purchase RDS CALs for each user or device that accesses that 3rd party service. So, even though you aren't using Microsoft's product, they still want their pound of flesh.

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Here we go again...

I work for a large corporation as a contractor. My contract is always for 1 year, from July 1 to June 30. Every year, someone screws up something with my contract renewal paperwork and I get dropped from the system and locked out of everything. This year would be different they assured me. July 1 comes and goes and I still have network access. So far so good. July 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 all pass without incident! Hallelujah! They finally got it right! On July 8th I show up at the new offices (everyone on the team was working from home the previous 2 weeks) and when I got to the door, my badge doesn't work. Hmm, that's odd. I'm sent to the security office to get the access fixed and when they scan my badge to look me up in the system, they say "Sorry, you aren't in the system" and shred my badge. I protest that I've had network access this whole time, how could I not be in the system!? They dig deeper and say there must have been a glitch because my paperwork had just gotten submitted the day before and advised me to come back in a few days because their processing SLA is 2-3 business days. That evening the network access "glitch" was fixed. I have been in limbo ever since.

"Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler..."
- Milton Waddams