Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

incoherent posted:

WHERE THE gently caress IS MY PAPERLESS OFFICE
I used to imagine this was going to happen when the boomers died off ... but gently caress, my peers are just as incompetent at technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sweevo posted:

Thermal printers over USB are far far worse.

Serial works, whereas the USB version have the shittiest drivers know to man.
Hope you love running XP for the rest of the printer's lifespan.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

poo poo that's pissing me off: my "fixed" work 17" MacBook Pro is kernel panicking 3+ times a day. Secured a temporary replacement, and off to the Apple Store again for the third time.

Basically I'm positive the motherboard is hosed, but they're determined not to replace it for some reason. IT'S NOT THE loving RAM I PROMISE YOU.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I first got 97 and didn't realise you could do much better until you guys said that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I hear if you get 200, Google offers you a job

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Galler posted:

I just browse on my phone without connecting to wifi when I'm at work.
Observing SA, a bunch of insecure dorks like to mock people with Samsung Notes for their nerdy phones, but they're just so good for this kind of purpose.

(Also I'm a 6' tall man. The Note 2 is thin enough to be far less obvious in my pocket than my last BlackBerry Bold.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

GargleBlaster posted:

Frayed Macbook charger cable update: Apple's answer was "so what, it's out of warranty, £65 for a replacement"

Really I disagree, I've never abused the cable in the slightest, it's a potential fire hazard and IMO it's nowhere near fair wear and tear under the sale of goods act. Warranty has nothing to do with it, it's my statutory rights as a consumer. Not worth the hassle of dragging them to court though and they know it..
Even if it had been under warranty, they insist upon a pre-booked appointment and then it's "at the genius's discretion" whether they'd replace it even then. Having seen also how many of those Lightning cables for the iPhone stop working after a few months with them demanding £16 for a bit of wire every time, they can shove it.

Where does this accessory greed get them - I doubt my next mobile or computing device will be Apple after this, and I'm inclined to suggest Samsungs for our next mobile refresh at work.
My office is a Mac shop for a variety of reasons. I'd be happy with Linux, but OS X is simpler overall.

A year ago my MacBook Air had a weird screen problem, where straight down the middle there was a transition. One half of the screen was darker than the other. AppleCare + Genius Bar took care of it overnight with a "business rush" on it whatever that means. I was in awe of their support.

Since, one of the last models of 17" MacBook Pros filtered down to me. Great hardware, if a bit large and heavy. But it has a kernel panic problem. Open enough programmes, and it dies.

The Apple Store has ... wasted weeks of time, and keeps insisting it's the loving RAM. There's official Apple RAM in there now, again, and the loving problem is still happening. They seem absolutely determined to not replace the motherboard for some reason. I'm really frustrated. Their communication has been utter poo poo, and I keep getting the runaround trying to deal with it. In two weeks of trying to get it fixed, I dealt with over ten employees, all telling me different stuff, most of it wrong. They also apparently LOST the RAM we gave it to them with so they were forced to just give us the official Apple stuff they were testing with.

As for phones, I recently repaired an office Samsung Note II with parts from Hong Kong ... ecstatic with how easy to service that thing was. I couldn't imagine trying to dissemble an iPhone.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

What pisses me off? 1-800 numbers that can't transfer you without disconnecting you. Fffffffuck!
Strangest thing ... last time I needed to call in somewhere, I could not get to whatever department I needed from the office VOIP system, but it worked fine from my cellphone. It seems incredibly unlikely that it was just luck. I had to call back a number of times and I just couldn't get past the main switchboard over VOIP. I don't understand why it would matter what/where I was calling from.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Motronic posted:

DTMF wasn't working over your voip line.
Ah thanks. I inherited this system, never dealt with VOIP before. Looking at the provider's documentation, looks like the thing to do is set "RE-INVITE" to NO on the peer setup in Trixbox.

Which reminds me, I want to look at rebuilding in FreePBX soon.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Got my MacBook Pro back from the Apple Store on Friday, for the third time... and it just kernel-panicked again. They said this time it was probably memory + software configurations. Still haven't changed the motherboard. It's using official Apple RAM.

:bang:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Office 2013? Two licenses on my subscription.

On my desktop Win8 PC, no problem. Once license, all the users on the computer can use it.

I put the second license on my MacBook, but suddenly there aren't enough licenses for my girlfriend's profile.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The last one I bought for home was 2007. I would have probably been better off with 2010. I got 2013 because I used my old student email address for a massive discount.

Frankly the only thing that keeps me in the Microsoft system for home is OneNote. I love that programme so much, and Evernote just isn't as good. I haven't actually set up OneNote to work with SkyDrive, so I just paste anything I need remote access to into free Evernote.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Looks and sounds a lot like my last job. One of my last tasks there was cleaning out half that kind of poo poo. I got rid of all the P2s & 3s that were in storage. (I think two poor fuckers were still USING P3s though). My boss wouldn't let me throw out the books. I did get rid of all the Win3.11 boxes + related software though.

edit: not sure what I did with the pictures of the drawers full of 3.11 boxes. Darn.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 10, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

My boss wouldn't let me throw out the books.
Self-quote, but I just remembered a very pertinent detail. This is the same boss that only works in classic ASP.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I YOTJ'd last year when my boss founded a start-up. He'd left a major company he was VP at, feeling it was a sinking ship and the CEO was toxic.

One of that company's ripped-off investors finally had enough, just bought the whole thing and ousted the CEO.

Now the new owner is looking to recruit my boss back :ohdear:

edit:

I don't think my boss would leave me in a lurch, but working at that company would be ... very less-than-ideal for me. Going to work on getting my driver's license ASAP...

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

poo poo that pisses me off: how expensive Apple adapters are. I'd love to just keep one at home and one at work. I'll make it happen once we're a bit more flush.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

But then what will I use for an emergency bottle opener!?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

In the ongoing saga of my kernel-panicking MacBook Pro, they finally decided it probably isn't really the RAM at fault.

Fortunately a new logic-board had already been allocated for it on one of the previous visits. Why they didn't install it previously, :iiam:

They also claimed that while a logic board replacement typically takes 10-14 days, they'll bump me up to 3-5 days due to all the trouble I've been through.

We shall see.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sounds like government.

I remember first looking for a job in the mid 2000s and PDFs weren't acceptable because HR wanted to edit them for some reason. I had originally been using LaTeX for my resume, so that was a nuisance.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

evol262 posted:

Windows 8.1: Start Button

:microsoft:

Is there anything else compelling about 8.1?
The Metro/Start screen can now use your desktop wallpaper for a background ... looks a hell of a lot nicer and more seamless. Small thing that should have been there from the beginning. That's all I've got.

I didn't give half a poo poo about the Start button. Still could click in the corner.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Bike to work in under 4°C this morning ... was over 12 yesterday.

Humphreys posted:

Pissing me off now:

4G Data costs in Australia. gently caress Telstra. $50 for 3GB. Yes, three GB.
You're lucky to get 1 GB in Canada.

They typically have a 6 GB "deal" around when a new iPhone launches, but that'll lock you into a 2-3 year contract.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

fail edit

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Humphreys posted:

Well dammit, the backup plan if I don't get this new job is move to Canada where my partner is originally from. I was at least hoping the internet was better there.

Internet is probably better than Australia, but worse than much of the world, including third-world.

There are at least options nowadays for resellers with effectively unlimited bandwidth, but the "big 3" (Rogers/Bell/Telus) have been loving with them every chance they get. The problem is that the big companies control the "last-mile" of infrastructure -- lines to homes -- which are supposed to be opened to third parties by federal regulation. Also one of the more popular resellers, TekSavvy, basically grew too big. They became popular through word-of-mouth at how great their service was, but even getting someone to answer your call now is an exercise in frustration. (No out-of-country call centres at least?)

I seriously lucked out recently. I live in a downtown Toronto condo and the building got fibre hooked up. Completely independent of those horrible companies, amazing speeds, unlimited bandwidth, reasonable cost. Also just an ethernet jack in the wall.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Inspector_666 posted:

BYOD is fine for phones but holy poo poo I would never work anywhere it applied to laptops and poo poo.
Oh god. My old job did this. Everyone involved cheaped out and so I was futilely stuck supporting netbooks and bottom-rung big box store desktops. The company gave them like $200 to buy their own, and they naturally just bought poo poo.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Misogynist posted:

Google Apps handles search a lot faster than the other alternatives, but it gets a lot of things wrong. It doesn't include calendar appointments. It outputs to mbox instead of PST, which is the format that every lawyer is interested in.
This is something I had to deal with recently, and really loving annoying. I never did find a great way to go from mbox to pst that wasn't a horrible hack or dodgy third-party software. Luckily the suit got dropped before I had to deliver.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

We have an massive file cabinet full of stuff like USB and VGA cables. I could see keeping around 10, maybe 20 of each. But I bet we have a hundred each.
I threw out the 20+ serial mice my last company was holding on to. (30 person company.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

McGlockenshire posted:

While fixing the clock on our our ancient PBX, I discovered that every phone in the building is actually able to set the time.

And I don't know how to fix it.

:stonklol:
I'm not too familiar with PBX, but our phones uh ... phone home ... to the TFTP server every 15 minutes and wipe any custom settings.

edit: I misread. I see. PBX doesn't sync to a timeserver regularly then?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I compiled Bugzilla on CentOS :colbert:

edit: but it was certainly the biggest pain-in-the-rear end of anything I've done with our servers.

Still I'm pleased with the OS. In a few years of doing this stuff, I've never had it cause a fault of any kind that wasn't user-error. I couldn't imagine using Ubuntu on a server.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 8, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

poo poo that pisses me off ... for some reason cannot get CouchDB, any modern version, to run on CentOS6 when compiling from source. The old packaged 1.0.4 version runs great, but the programmers need anything a bit newer. Never been stymied this hard before when setting up servers. So little documentation about it, apparently very few people run Couch on CentOS, and the couple of guides that exist don't work. No errors when/if compiling Erlang, Spidermonkey, and CouchDB. It just doesn't start, with no errors logged anywhere. I feel like some dependency got updated (ironically) in CentOS which is breaking it.

Up at 5:23 AM sorting this out because it's needed for tomorrow.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 12, 2014

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Moved to a new office last month. There is some poo poo bandit that messes up all three bathrooms nearby me every day. Dude seriously needs some fibre in his diet, and to see a doctor.

And yes, the building is really owned by "The WTF Group".

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

poo poo that pisses me off:

Employers blowing smoke up my rear end about the company's future and funding.

It appears that today we may shut down and I'm suddenly unemployed. My first inkling something was wrong was on Monday when I didn't get paid.

(This is a little bit pre-emptive, I really don't know what's going on, but I'm going to get called into the boardroom at some point today and be told. The way I see it, there's a 1/10 chance everything will be fine. 4/10 chance that we merge with another company and have to move to an office that would mean 3+ hours of commuting for me. 5/10 that we just shut down and I'm poo poo out of luck.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sickening posted:

Not getting paid is a serious red flag. Me not getting paid outside of some kind of technical error means I don't show up to work the next day until its resolved.
"Start-up culture"

There have been issues prior with funding and it's always worked out in a satisfactory manner, but it looks like this is it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Curious what regulations would go back that long.

But I'd find messing with a 486 pretty fun nowadays.

I haven't installed 86box... yet.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've been using Atom for a while mostly because it has a handy edit-CSV-as-plaintext-but-in-a-grid plugin.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Hah yeah, just found that on my own. Welp I'm happy. Just never really had a need to switch. Had no idea Atom was discontinued and scheduled to be archived in December.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So that's why all these helpdesk applicants list all their code skills on their resumes...

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Pissing me off: Slack surprise-rolled out private message forwarding, both for DMs and private channels, with no way to disable it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Was your apartment building wearing its high vis vest and helmet??????

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Built out a new office. The AV vendor hosed up badly and didn't finish their poo poo in over half a year.

After lots of threats, non-payment of services, etc, they finally commit to coming in and resolving it tomorrow.

Switch governing half their poo poo dies over the weekend.

Just loving kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Cisco used to be like "nobody got fired for buying IBM". What is preferred nowadays? It's not my expertise.

We ended up with Fortinet our new office and it's ... mostly fine. Some parts feel very amateurish.

We were pretty stable using their APs and firewalls, but the L3 switches finally came in after half a year backorder and we're having a lot of mystery issues after replacing our ancient Arubas.