Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

LOL Fortinet's DNS went down this morning. Figured it out quickly enough but unbelievably worst possible timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I like diagramming and had no problem with Visio besides it not running on Macs.

Pour one out for LucidChart which used to be a light-weight web-based version, but has all the loving cruft now of an company gone public: aggressive sales, price increases, unwanted features shoehorned into the product, etc.

Miro is pretty bad for that too.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'd be more mindful of false positives in KnowBe4 ... like apparently using the Gmail native "report phishing" link effectively clicks the KnowBe4 link for you and results in a positive :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure some mail client link previews cause the same issue.

Sirotan posted:

I ran one of these two jobs ago and said the same thing, and then 29% of the company clicked it. Mostly the C-levels and finance people.
This checks out. No one else uses email.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

klosterdev posted:

Emails are for messages long enough that sending it over Teams would be obnoxious.
tl;dr

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Kibner posted:

In addition to what other other people said, there is also the option of using whatever headphone you want and pair it up with a modmic or something like a zalman clip-on mic.

Depending on how much background noise there is, you might also be better off with a cheap dynamic mic on a boom than a condenser mic.
It starts getting pricy, but I paired my ancient Zalman clip-on with one of those Asus AI Noise-cancelling adapters and it sounds excellent. (I also needed a mic/headphone Y-splitter because the Asus adapter expects mic+headphones on the same miniplug).

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

Yes he will, because this CEO is a HUGE micromanaging megalomaniac. He has to personally sign off on every expense over $500 (in a $5b company, mind you), including the monthly maintenance contract of the current portal.
Sounds like he took the finance route.

The worst people I've ever had to report to in IT were CFOs.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I cheat and use Barrier (crappy open source fork of Synology) (software KM switch) but I'll have to give up running the client on my work laptop at some point as security tightens down.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The 1920x1200 Dell 24" I bought over 15 years ago and still use as tertiary does PIP even. Fun thing is it still has analogue inputs for component, s-video and composite.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Really appreciate the Android work profile feature. No uninstall required.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sirotan posted:

I just do it so I'm not tempted to open it when I get bored. I have poor self control. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Didn't know about the work profile feature though, I'll have to look into that.
I'm not sure how it would be set up on your own, but it's something done on the company side using Google Workspace. In that situation it's pretty great, essentially partitioning BYOD phones. Company can delete their data, employee's personal poo poo is never seen by the company. You can still share a photo taken from your personal camera app but have to use the share feature to push it to the work profile.

In our specific example you can also use Android wellness features to disable the work profile off hours, or manually toggle it.

Tangential, an employee on vacation joined a work call on Thursday because he "was bored" and I just mocked him the entire hour trying to get him to go do something, anything but work.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

xzzy posted:

Someone looking to hook up their DX7?
At least MIDI is still regularly in use.

I've only seen 5-pin din stuff lately for stupid proprietary power bricks.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lol ... I'm the out of touch IT Manager doing more hands-on work than usual because most of my team is out or sick.

Wtf Apple silicon laptops can only factory reset to the OS they came with? I know it's literally in the name, but the Intel ones let you load (via internet) whatever was last on there as opposed to just what was on the recovery partition.

They also had a network boot that let you pick the OS, though I don't remember if nor think they let you use something newer.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Well thank you. Had no idea. Our vendor and Mosyle support said it was impossible to staff. Was my first time looking at it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

joebuddah posted:

Just got an email today. Apparently scammers have been targeting upper level management on What's App and other socials pretending to be the CEO..

Do people really have to be told that the CEO won't message you on social media to conduct company business?
Do Something About It™️

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

klosterdev posted:

Pissing me off: M365 support called me back regarding my ticket. At 3:30AM on a Saturday morning. Yes I made sure to put down the time zone when making the ticket.
Been having this issue. One of my staff could only find a window like 6-7 AM to overlap with the person assigned our ticket.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Has anyone ever purchased a major any IT service they were introduced to via email/phone/LinkedIn cold calls???

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The one that made the terrible crop?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Our owner has Rapid7 installed on everything and it's an impossible cycle to ensure everything is 100% "compliant". It's only been a month but I know my team is starting to burn out.

edit: unsaid, I'm trying to figure it out. We've been offered "support" (offshore). Also been told I can probably get more headcount ... but I don't want to manage more people, and my people just want more money in general. Headcount would destroy raises.

edit2: poo poo that pisses you off, old story, company leadership trying to bribe staff with "culture" instead of just loving paying their bills.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 29, 2024

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Nothing like Rapid7 generating a poo poo-tonne of vulnerability alerts for out of date versions of Rapid7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Google started doing that at some point between my last two Androids and it's such a pissoff.