Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Through a quirk of organization, I'm currently reporting to the manager of a remote team. This isn't so bad in and of itself, but he just absolutely does not want to talk through communicator or emails. "Hey, I have a question about this Frobnitz issue you talked about in an email, can I call you?" :fuckoff: Just send a goddamned email...

Of course, I go into one of the phone booth rooms to call him, because he IS currently my boss...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Lum posted:

I too, think of headbutting my CRT when faced with a Lotus product.

There's something rather disturbing about that image. I don't see a man headbutting a computer, I see a headless man, or perhaps a man who has a CRT for a head. Or perhaps a computer growing a man, like some sort of fleshy appendage.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

diremonk posted:

Adding to that, what the job listing and what I was told in my interview is just a tiny bit different than what I'm actually going to be doing.

Do your title and pay reflect your new found responsibilities?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Lum posted:

poo poo that amuses me, but is probably pissing someone off right now:

Amuses me because of who it happened to, note the URL.

By kids who can't even spell check their graffiti :sigh:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Lum posted:

Well to be fair, if they are Palestinian as they claim, then English won't be their first language.

You'd think that "Palestinian" would be a word that they could spell correctly, though. It seems like it would be awfully high on the list. Or perhaps they are actually "Plaestinian?"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Inspector_71 posted:

I found an electric typewriter in my basement at home during high school. Whenever I made mix CDs I would type up liner notes using it.

I think I actually wrote at least one essay on it, too.

My father had an electronic typewriter (a :airquote: word processor :airquote:) at his office for a long time. It was actually sort of neat; there was an input buffer with a small 80x4 screen hooked up to the keyboard, and the strikers would methodically pull a key off of the buffer until empty. If you made a mistake typing, you could hit backspace. If the text had not yet been printed, you were just amending the buffer. Otherwise, the built in white out strips would recover for you.

It was a nice piece of transition technology, I have to admit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Humphreys posted:

and everyday is like a reset button, no carry over work from the previous day.

This can be a huge negative if every day starts with a turd sandwich you can never improve upon.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

There are issues if you rely on subsidies and benefits, it's possible for you to actually earn less, due to them disappearing at certain thresholds. That said, it's probably not what you're talking about.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

sanchez posted:

This is kind of the key here, there are edge cases, but it's unlikely the original poster is one of them. I wonder how many people take a Wendys gift card in exchange for overtime for this reason and consider it beating the system.

Getting paid in Wendy's Frosties is an acceptable form of payment as far as I care :colbert:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Walter_Sobchak posted:

Oh please, that wouldn't even be close to cracking the "Worst Stories Told in This Thread" list.

Seriously. Does this story beat speculum bucket?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

quote:

The death of my auto repair analogy

God help us all :stare:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

psydude posted:

And indeed, at my previous job the older people were all "Lol nerd" when I tried to show them something

Please tell me that it occurred something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43GChXc6RVY

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CitizenKain posted:

We currently have a pair of rotary dial telephones hooked up to our Avaya phone system. Each of those phones is older then a significant percentage of the employees in the building.

Why would a modern phone system that isn't "the phone company" still support pulse dialing? :psyduck:

Were they really nerds' phones that were retrofitted to DTMF?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

nitrogen posted:

Why not? It doesn't break anything (unless you are a certain type of payphone) besides the CO still needs to monitor loop disconnects anyway, so why not?

But that's like saying "why NOT support 486s in our newest kernel?" Sure, you can keep compatibility around for literally anything, but at some point you have to just let go.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Caged posted:

And while you're copying and pasting poo poo into Outlook go and find that setting that removes the formatting from everything you paste.

That formatting info is occasionally useful however, and outlook isn't the only thing with rich clipboard support.

Take a look at http://stevemiller.net/puretext/

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

mewse posted:

PC load letter? What the gently caress does that mean?!

We were discussing having a piņata for the kids at our Xmas party and someone suggested stringing up a printer for the adults

It's like a Piņata, except that instead of breaking it open to shower sweets everywhere and give all the children stomachaches, breaking it open will shower toner everywhere and give all the adults cancer!

:toot:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

rolleyes posted:

I'm confused by it tbh. Unless I'm missing something, under normal circumstances salting a hash shouldn't prevent you from comparing hashed values (especially for the same user) because you'd normally use the same salt value for that user all of the time. As I understand it, the point of a salt isn't to make passwords hard to compare within your own database or organisation, it's to protect against rainbow table attacks if your database is compromised externally.

Giving each user their own salt is another technique that's getting more common, to prevent attackers from simply being able to build a rainbow table against your common salt.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

underlig posted:

I like how the masking is actually in the shape of. ..

At oldjob i put a filter like that in the exchange-server, for emails from our ticket database that started with "boss has", as i would get tons of emails telling me that boss either assigned a new ticket to me or updated an existing. While he sat three meters away, completely silent.

** edit
Might aswell add this, i'm getting more and more frustrated about people calling my boss, talking to him about an issue / something that needs to be done, and then he creates a ticket with either just barely enough information for me to know what needs to be done, or just not enough information at all.
Boss / slave yes, but there are tickets you can actually do yourself, right away, instead of forcing me to come ask you what you mean by it and then try to do it.

"X Y and Z in (shortened / misspelled / term i've never heard before) needs to be xx yy zz:ed"
It's like every second ticket is a loving mystery i have to solve before i can even start actually do what needs to be done.

The ticket database we have is also _filled_ with spelling errors or tickets where the resolution is just "did it", which means i can't search the database for previous jobs nor can i find what "it" actually is.

I thought you quit, is your new job the same as the old job?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

This isn't strictly true. Investors (and i refer here to large investment organizations, since individual shareholders generally cannot force change) are willing to tolerate losses as long as there's a plan which incorporates those losses into a strategy which ends with growth. If "one quarter of loss = you're out" were true, RIM Blackberry would have had a parade of CEOs over the last few years.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Che Delilas posted:

Yeah, I worded that poorly. I meant clueless in terms of knowing how a company's short-term loss will result in a long term gain because they don't know enough of the plan and/or the industry and what the implications of a decision might be.

But the rest of your post underscores my point. It's the stockholders that aren't interested in the long term, thus the businesses must have the same mindset or lose investors. That's why I blame the stockholders. This is a generalization of course.

You are right that it is a generalization, as it really does depends on the investor. The most successful ones are those who pick an investment and treat it as that; an investment. Warren Buffett is probably the most famous example of this, time and time again cautioning people to make a decision and then let it be.

If your company is owned by an "investment" firm that aims to squeeze as much out of your company before dumping, there's not much that can be done.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

dennyk posted:

Trust me, there are much worse things in the world of mail servers than iMail. I used to work with a system that one of the many companies my place merged with built entirely in-house (with no documentation, of course); the POP3 and SMTP daemons were both Java applets running on a Solaris 8 box, all mail messages (including attachments) were stored in an Oracle database, and the webmail front end was a ColdFusion page running on a Windows 2000 server. :psyduck: As far as I know, that monstrosity is still in service today and serving paying customers.

I'm sorry, am I reading that right? As in the mail daemons were applets that required a webpage on that machine to be open?

:psyboom:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

Can I quote you on this? Please? I've been annoyed by this by a particular vendor for the last 8 years. Their app literally examines the JRE version at launch, and if it doesn't match exactly, just immediately fails. (Actually, it's worse: it directs you to Java.com, which of course...only has the latest JRE version.)

What's probably happening is that they certified the behavior against one specific major/minor, and do not want to support issues with any other versions, since in addition to security fixes, there might be bugfixes, or new bugs introduced. Doing a full regression test against a new minor version every week is expensive, and they don't want to constantly escalate issues to engineers on the off chance that it's actually a JVM specific issue.

It's bad behavior on their part, though, since the message that they're giving you is "we care more about our support costs than your internal security." You should try to find another vendor if possible.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Alternately, find someplace where you can

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Gweenz posted:

Fellow Americans, coming in to work sick is not a badge of honor. Nobody is going to steal your job if you stay home.

Regardless of the truth of that, if you're paid hourly and live paycheck to paycheck, you literally cannot afford to stay home sick.

As far as salaried employees go, there's generally a limited number of sick days, after which you get to show up or get written up / fired.

There is a vanishingly small number of employers which think that sick employees staying home and not sicking up the workplace is a good idea, but good luck on getting in there.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Or at the quality that you'd like, unless that is written into the contact.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Varkk posted:

Pissing me off, clients who won't make decisions.

We have one client who had a printer die just out of warranty. We gave the boss there the options for repair about $1000, replace with a similar spec printer is about $800, or lease one with a maintenance contract. He has sat on it for about two weeks, saying he will make a decision in the next day or so. In the meantime I get called every couple of days by the person who actually uses the printer days asking what is happening and when I am going to fix her printer.

Is there a reason you have not said that you are waiting for her boss to make a decision, and that you cannot proceed until he does?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

So, on the subject of the Penny-Arcade style of recruiting... (click to embiggen)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

luminalflux posted:

Developers putting over 200k files in an S3 bucket, with no directory structure :catstare:

What type of files are they, and are they meant to be visible to anything but automated systems?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ookiimarukochan posted:

I've complained about "large vendor" before here several times.
Well, given http://bgr.com/2013/12/04/samsung-knox-mobile-security-problems/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews I figure I can name names for one of my ongoing problems now, right?

The article doesn't nearly come close to explaining what a clusterfuck KNOX is, which is pretty weird as Samsung did a great job with SAFE. The "oh, Samsung have had issues bringing up a services department" is a poo poo excuse - yes, licensing is a complete mystery right now, but that's the sort of thing you worry about once your actual API is in some sort of working state. I don't think I can go into details about what is wrong without breaking the NDA, but this is the worst API I have dealt with in 10 years as a developer (in so many ways) - and responses from support are hilariously slow due, I can only assume, to them being snowed under by the fact that every single partner they have invited into the programme has to ask so many questions to even start to get simple things working (going by variable names, at least some of the KNOX stuff is licensed from someone else rather than written in-house, and that particular library has a bunch of standards-compliancy issues with it we have tried to explain to the vendor without success, so I can't wait to see how it's been broken in this case)

As a former Samsung mobile developer who still has his ear to the ground, I feel you and can probably speculate on some of the causes. Samsung has gotten where they are by being the least worst choice, not the best choice.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I got a new job for my Christmas bonus :yotj:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

chia posted:

I got a three week temporary layoff or whatever it's called starting on the first of January. Hoo-the-loving-ray.

You see lemons, I see an opportunity to cram in as many in person interviews as possible.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Inspector_666 posted:

Dogecoin should not just be allowed, it should be encouraged.

Such acceptable use policies

Very electricity bill

Many McAfee install bundles

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Humans can actually determine whether the issue marked URGENT! but involves not knowing how to save files warrants paging someone.

The real solution is to post exaggerated SLAs on the form and state that urgent issues not escalated to phone support may not get the necessary attention, then rub that in the client's face if they try to say that you ignored them.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 30, 2013

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ookiimarukochan posted:

Unless I'm missing something their order page is all over pure http (didn't want to put in payment info in case I accidentally bought something but certainly the form you put in the billing address etc is submitted over http) which would have me looking for a different vendor straight off.

Or am I unusually paranoid about that sort of thing?

Don't worry about it, your credit card has probably already been stolen at this point.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Had my exit interview today, where I got to explain that the selection on the cookie platter during lunch was the driving factor in my decision to change jobs.

:feelsgood:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Went in to work today for my goodbye lunch.

No one else went in to work today due to the very heavens casting cold and dark allusions to their future without me.

:confuoot:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ghostinmyshell posted:

Why do salespeople do this to me? I don't work 7 days a week, stop telling our loving clients to call me directly on a Saturday because their thingamabob broke and it can wait, but you just wanna be nice. I wish my manager would put a stop to this poo poo.

"Who is this? Oh, OK. I'll get to that on Monday when I'm back at work. He told you what? Oh, that was an outright lie, I'm actually hourly and not scheduled to work today. Yes, he does say a lot of things doesn't he? No, sorry, there's no one else. OK, bye!"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Lum posted:

One of the phones I had (I think it was the Nokia N97) had a wonderful feature where ignore was separate to hang up. It would silence the ringer but let the call keep ringing before being dealt with however your network would normally deal with an unanswered call (e.g. 7 rings then voicemail).

It was great for not aggressively hanging up on people while at the same time not being disturbed by the call.

Someone should make an Android app that recreates this feature, if there isn't one already.

That's almost certainly impossible as a 3rd party app. Surprisingly, the telephony stack is pretty much segregated to prevent dickery among other things.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Che Delilas posted:

I feel like this isn't getting enough attention and derision. This is what we call a deal-breaker.

It is definitely a silly thing, but I'm curious how seriously they take it, and whether it's there to weed out "Expert" Java devs who have written upwards of 1000 lines.

What am I saying, it's probably taken at face value without a trace of irony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Starbucks is basically responsible for coffee culture in North America, even though some of their their coffees are overroasted, and "Charbucks" is some Micro$$$oft level poo poo.

Yeah, I have to agree. I love me some coffee, but I'll drink a venti mocha because sometimes I just want a chocolate coffee near-milkshake :shobon:

For content, my first day of work as a Googler was today! :toot:

And then around 3:30 I was done with orientation (for the day) and got to meet my coworkers, and apparently I'm going to be doing server-side development instead of iOS? :confuoot:

And then I find out that there's an on-call rotation :stare:

It's me, I'm the one who's upset about his pod not having a diamond crusted shell.