Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Paladine_PSoT posted:

poo poo that I come across daily that pisses me off: having to go through hundreds of posts in a ticket came in because we merged threads if I miss a day.

I love you for this thread.

Contribute:
Dumbassery from co-worker continues. Still having to clean up his messes. I'm going to be talking to the director again and tell him that this will be the last time I speak to him about it. If things do not change soon, I will be going up the chain.

Tickets with little to no info. Look, users, we put ptouch labels on all of our systems with computer names. The least you can do is provide the name to help narrow down which system is having the issue. Also, if you're having slowness issues, letting us know which programs you're accessing would be nice. Asking us if we're having issues with "the server" is a waste of everyone's time. We have nearly a hundred servers here on site and the main data center has thousands. You need to tell me what program is slow that way I can see if it's local or remote. If it's remote, I can contact the team responsible and see what the problem is. Don't cry to me that you're too busy. Do you bitch and moan when you go to the doctors office and they have you fill out forms, then when you finally see the doctor and he asks you to tell them your symptoms? Same thing here. We're not mind readers. Help us help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I guess I don't get the "I am too proud to say I don't know" or "Maybe you are right let me look into that" something but poo poo come on! :suicide:

This right here is my biggest problem with our new guy. He seems to think that because he's the oldest person and used to be a manager (of a loving Longs Drugs!) that he doesn't have to listen to anyone else on the team. Nevermind that he has very little I.T. experience and even less in a healthcare environment. My main co-worker and I have both been doing this since Jan. 2000. The next guy has been doing this since ~2006, so we all have considerable more experience than this guy but he just refuses to listen. As a result, he's pissed off multiple users that now insist that only I touch their systems. Unfortunately, the director seems to think this guy's poo poo doesn't stink because he's constantly in his office kissing rear end.

He's been working on an issue for over a week now trying to get a doctor to be able to VPN & RDP into a system running Epic. I've told him multiple times that I have documentation on our I.S. Share. He opts to use the outdated documentation provided by the vendor. Surprise, surprise, he's unable to get in. Director texts me asking to contact the vendor. I lied and said I had to dig through my PST and asked him what the issue was. He had me remote in to take a look. Right away I saw that he had the old domain listed. Updated it, had the doctor try logging in and away it goes. 5 seconds. All he had to do was read my loving documentation or even ask, but no. That would make too much sense.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Migishu posted:

Specifically, Zebra printers.

gently caress Zebra printers.

On one hand, the ones we have rarely have issues. So, in that respect, I actually kind of like them. On the other, their menu is such a loving pain in the rear end to navigate that I hate working on them when they finally do have issues.

gently caress HP paper cassette trays. They make the goddamn paper guides out of the shittiest plastic. Add to that the end users are apparently neaderthals that seem to think they have to slam the paper and tray when refilling it and you end up with a pile of broken cassette trays.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Sirotan posted:

This is all I buy these days, they work great for me and are typically <20% the price of OEM. Every now and then we will get a bad one but the cost savings greatly outweighs the inconvenience.

Maybe you just don't have a good source for them? I use these guys a lot: http://www.suppliesoutlet.com/

All we get from our printer repair company are refurbs as well. The last company, we had a lot of issues. Some were complete duds, some worked but the chip wasn't reflashed properly so it would give the 'non-genuine HP cartridge' error, but would at least still print.

Haven't really had any issues with the supplier that the new company uses.

Also, today is a joyous day. The new guy is out today. For once, I can go a day without him loving up any systems and him constantly walking by my desk and glaring at me.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Lum posted:

Pictured this as receiving a package from the printer company and in it is a 3 legged cat.

Oh my god, that cat is adorable. :3:

Speaking of things that seemingly last forever but are EOL, we're looking into replacements for these Fujitsu 4120 scanners that were originally purchased back in 2001. For most of them, any issues encountered have been replacing the pick roller or pad separator. Other issues are the occasional melted roller, probably due to the lamp (pre-LED style) constantly being on from constant use and the TWAIN driver occasionally hanging; often due to something with the scanner itself. If you simply reboot the system, it'll hang the driver again. We end up having to unplug the power, reboot and wait until Windows is back up, plug the power back in and hit the power button. Then it works great until the next time it decides to puke all over itself again. Here again, I suspect it's because they're so old and to be fair, are used very often daily. Unfortunately, everything that's under $500. has been absolute poo poo. So, we're currently forced to wait until the purchasing freeze is lifted, then we'll be buying some new Fujitsu 6130's. Hopefully they're as good as the old 4120's were.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

stevewm posted:

I'll chime in and say they are. We have had several for over a year now, no problems thus far. No problems with the scanner locking up or anything. The 6130 still uses CCFL light sources and they do get a little warm when on. No way it could melt anything though...

Thanks, that's definitely reassuring. The 4120's appear to have what looks like a fluorescent tube for lighting, but it seems to break down the rollers so that they become soft and mushy, like a jellybean that's been in the sun. That then keeps it from rolling and the poor motor starts squealing something awful. I'm currently looking at our pile of dead scanners to see if there was one that happened to die of a bad board that I can scavenge the rollers from to get this poor admitting person back up and running until we can finally order new scanners.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
WebFocus. That's poo poo that's pissing me off at the moment. That and the piece of poo poo software that corporate built that runs on top of that turd.

I was replacing the Assistant Controller's system today. When I installed the software, I tested it to make sure it would launch. All was well. Then I deliver it today and it decides "Nope, not gonna run". Ended up having to uninstall everything related to that pile of poo poo and start over. Now it's running, but it's still not importing her backed up data. Gonna have to call the team that built this crap to troubleshoot tomorrow. :argh:

The worst part is now I'm in a lovely mood and I missed my workout class. I'll have to go in and just do some cardio now.

Also, not sure if any of you are interested, but there's a thread in GBS called "No more warranty to void. Let's open up old electronics". I thought I'd post me replacing some failed rollers in one of those 4120's.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Agrikk posted:

This is me in full retard mode. I should seriously know better.

Speaking of which, I've been troubleshooting (off and on, in between tickets) an issue I've had with an image I captured using MDT. It gives me a single error and 3 warnings. It's unable to copy a file from the server onto the client, then is unable to fully complete the task sequence. The error it keeps giving is that permission is denied. So, I'm thinking along the lines of the account user/pass not being on the same on the server (It is), or it somehow go locked (It isn't). Looking at it today, I realize what it is the first time I try to deploy. loving McAfee strikes again. I really should have known better. :ughh:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
This isn't so much of a "pisses me off" as much as a "What the gently caress are you thinking?" thing. Just found a couple of step by step instructions that a Doctor made using screenshots... on a dual screen system that has dual Dell 2412m's. As you can imagine, these are goddamn huge. Each document is over 150MB and the screenshots don't fit the pages. That's not the worst part. Some of these screenshots show Patient names and Patient account numbers. If he were to print these out to give to co-workers as a How-To pamphlet, that would be a clear violation of HIPPA (I wouldn't be surprised if this document itself is a HIPPA violation).

I've since cropped & re-sized the pictures and did a bit of rewording. It now looks much more presentable and they're both under 1MB in size. Best of all, they no longer give out private patient information. I applaud the guy's effort for at least trying, but drat, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Lum posted:

One of my customers rebooted their Dell server the other day. Because of reasons, this one server is on a remote site.

It didn't come back up.

Turned out the DRAC card was being pissy about something and demanding that someone press F1 on the physical keyboard to continue.

That's right, the card that makes it easier to remote manage servers prevented this server from being able to reboot cleanly without someone physically present.

Thanks Dell.

Either the card is faulty, or they didn't set it up properly (like configuring it and plugging it in, much like my co-workers). They ought to be able to simply log in to the DRAC, bring up the console and hit F1.

They do make remote management easier. Try the lovely IP KVM connected to a lovely KVM switch like most companies would likely do if given a choice (I'm currently using this awful setup for my test bench). Sometimes keys register, sometimes they don't. The mouse cursor doesn't align properly, so it appears as though there are 2 mice. Then, of course, there's the whole "can't power stuff back on remotely" thing.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Agrikk posted:

Save and share files in the Cloud!

Revamped user interface for a smoother experience!

Revamped licensing model!

None. There are no advantages over 2010.

The one and only advantage I know of is that my company offered a license for it for only :10bux:. Not entirely an advantage over 2010, as they had offered it for that as well, but I missed out on that offer. I didn't even use it, I ended up giving it to my mom since she loves Publisher for some reason. Me, I'll stick to LibreOffice/Google Docs.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

teethgrinder posted:

But then what will I use for an emergency bottle opener!?

Anything that can be used as a lever? Butter knife, the handle of a spoon/fork, the bottom of a BIC lighter... The possibilities are endless.
Speaking of which, did we ever figure out the Bottle Opener/flash drive thing? I don't recall a post on collecting payments so they can be ordered.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Paladine_PSoT posted:

The problem was that the order size greatly outgrew my capacity to pay for it up front. We can still do it, we'd just need to either

a: Follow up, figure out how many people will commit, then do pre-order collection
or
b: I can hand the information off to someone more financially able to front for the production then collect and send.

I can't speak for others, but I trust you enough to send you the amount for the 2 I'd like to order. Of course, I imagine shipping all of these out is gonna suck for whomever does it, so I'll leave it up to whomever has the time and patience for it.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

TX297 posted:

I forget, but was there any reason why this wouldn't work?

I have the 16GB version of that. While it's handy to have, it's slow as hell for writes.

Also, I think they were wanting the custom graphics that the other offered.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Motronic posted:

How on earth can those patches take so long? They aren't even saturating disk IO or CPU when they're running. They just take forever with no easily discernable reason.

I can't say for certain, but I seem to recall reading that it was ngen.exe compiling stuff in the background that was the culprit.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

skipdogg posted:

It's not 2007 anymore, 400MB is just not an acceptable mailbox limit anymore. gently caress, Microsoft will give you 50GB with O365 for under 10 bucks a month.

For us, the only way you're going to get a 400MB Inbox is if you're on the Admin team. Directors top off @ 300MB, end users most often top off at 50MB but, I've seen go as high as 100MB depending on their role. Standard Inbox is 20MB, which is where mine is. We're expected to put poo poo into PST's or delete.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Unless they're thermal ink...

If it is, it's held up remarkably well on my Latitude E6400 that I've had for the past 4 years. Much better than any of the old D520's we had, which were on the little cover for the memory modules.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Paladine_PSoT posted:

At a previous place of employment, the AV policy was "download a copy of AVG free if you need anti-virus".

Some vendor that our Radiologists use set us a system running AVG free. It expired back in 2009. I think it's still on that system as the only AV. I've already told the Rad Director, as it's a vendor system, so we're not supposed to touch it. At the same time though, they really aren't supposed to have that on our network without a working AV.

I think that, since they often have us work on/troubleshoot the system any time they have issues, I'm going to at least toss ClamAV on there and schedule daily scans. Better than nothing.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

mewse posted:

ClamAV for windows is worse than nothing, it can false positive on system files and hose the system. Use security essentials and plead ignorance if someone tells you it's only licensed for non-commercial.

I had thought about this, but I'm not sure if it would be able to download updates since corp. has blocked Windows Updates site.
I may end up putting McAfee on it (which truly is worse than nothing, but it's what we're licensed for).

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Bob Morales posted:

Man, and I thought our Core Duo-based Xeon VMware servers were slow. P4? Really?

Santa better bring me some servers this year.

We still have a couple of servers (PowerEdge 860?) that have netburst based Celerons.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I can't believe that I'm having to help one of my co-workers enable Remote Desktop on a Windows 7 system. He's the highest paid tech and is the 'Systems Administrator'.

I'm also having to explain to the new guy why the Dell OEM Windows 7 installation doesn't activate on this old 755 that was licensed for Vista. I'm sure a BIOS update may update it to SLP 2.1, which may allow it to activate, but the fact of the matter is, that system isn't licensed for Windows 7 and we don't have any available licenses, so he hasn't any business putting 7 on it to begin with. Being that this guy refuses to listen to anything I've said the entire time I'm here, I'm now left to wonder how many other pieces of software that he's installed without bothering to make sure we have licenses.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm dealing with a President that demanded a color laser in his office even though there's a workgroup color laser on his assistant's desk four feet away. FOUR. He doesn't want to get his print jobs from there, she hates him so she doesn't want to bring them to him.

The only space in his office is very small so I got him a Samsung that turned out to be a piece of poo poo. Now I have to get him an HP workgroup color laser and a table big enough to hold it.

Does he do a lot of printing? If not, we've good luck with Brother printers for the smaller laser printers. We have a couple of directors that have Brother Color lasers and we haven't heard a peep out of them since we set them up 2+ years ago.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Oh, boy... Looks like Dell has updated their support site again. So far it hasn't pissed me off, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I know when they changed it the last time (probably about a year ago) and a ton of links were dead, that was pissing me off daily.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

mewse posted:

It's definitely an age thing. Boomers weren't expected to know how to use a computer because the PC revolution happened when they were already middle aged. Right now, the 60yo department head isn't going to lose his job for being computer illiterate, because his job is building widgets, not how to use email.

No it isn't. I've got quite a few family members all younger than I (I'm only 34) that are computer illiterate. Most people are a lot like my brother, they don't care how it works or if they're doing it wrong, they just want it to work. (Yes, he's since bought a Mac and yes, he's asked me for help figuring out how to do stuff on it as well despite my lack of Mac knowledge).

Hell, I can't even begin to count how many times we've gotten tickets for COWs not working when the issue was that they either:
Didn't plug in the COW so now the battery is dead.
or
They didn't bother unplugging the COW before walking off, so now they've ruined yet another power cord.

This isn't even 'computer knowledge', this is simply plugging/unplugging something, which has been around longer than computers have and they still can't get that right.

quote:

As we go forward, these people age out and the excuses for destroying a network will become much less accepted. A baseline of computer literacy will be more strongly enforced.
Hahaha! I wish I had this kind of optimism.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Helushune posted:

I gave up on their support site back when none of the links would load/take over 5 minutes to load under Chrome. I started using ftp://ftp.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/ with ctrl+f to find what I want and have never looked back.

For the most part, I usually just grab the cab file (From here) with all of the drivers and then import it into MDT, but occasionally still hit up the site to download individual updated drivers/BIOS/FW updates. I really should start using that FTP page instead.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

DagPenge posted:

I must admit that leaning a new OS is a major pain, I mean Linux and Windows are kinda similar, or atleast some of the shortcuts are. The lack of control-f to find something or the windows button - "start typing" to search is getting annoying fast. Also switching between active programs is different and thus I have no idea how to multitask effetive now. Even the scroll up and down thing seems difficult to get to appear.

Indeed. I just had to try to figure out why a user was unable to get into any of our Citrix based apps on her Mac. We don't officially support Macs, but Corp. has put in some workarounds that (usually) allow it to work. Turns out, for whatever reason, that our Citrix portal apparently didn't like Java 7, so I had to figure out to uninstall that version and get the Java 6 that was provided by apple re-enabled. Finally got it thanks to Google and Apple's KB.

Not surprisingly, the Citrix team was worthless. "Oh, we don't support Macs." Then, why the gently caress did you write up documentation on how to get it working (Here again, the documentation wasn't helpful)? That sets precedence, now Doctors/Nurses all seem to think that we should have to support their poo poo.

At this point, I think I'm just going to refuse to work on them. When they start crying about it, I'll just point them to policy that states that we:
Don't work on Personal systems
We don't support Macs

If that's a problem, they can take it up with Corporate.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

SammichBacon posted:

Kinda dip-switch related: Which CPU (Is that even correct?) allowed you to unlock capabilities via well placed graphite from a pencil? Ok, not related. But still neat.

Athlon XP. Possibly other Make/Models, but that's the one I remember being capable.

***edit***
Well, poo poo. Beaten.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
What the hell? I get an email from SolarWinds telling me that I can add users to my existing license with a :airquote:signficant discount. So, I ask them to give me a quote for an additional user. I get a quote for (after a 20% discount) $200.00!

gently caress you, buddy. I just bought my license in March with a 20% off e-coupon and got it for $79.20. In what world is taking something that originally cost $99.00, jacking the price up to $250.00* and offering a 20% discount off of this inflated price a 'significant discount'? Needless to say, I seriously doubt my co-worker is going to jump on that offer.

*Looking through my emails, the price increased back in July.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Agrikk posted:

So I go over there this morning and the help he needs is "How do I change the color of the text in a putty session from grey to green?"
Wha...how? I didn't really know you could change it as I never bothered changing it because I've never had an issue with the colors. So, after seeing this post I checked to see where the setting is. I had it figured out in less than a minute how to get the text green (and I'm still working on my first cup of coffee, so I'm still not fully thinking straight). Was he legally blind or something? I just don't get how he couldn't figure it out. Your everyday end user, sure, I've come to expect that, but a tech?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

HalloKitty posted:

I changed my text in PuTTY to green because it's just more awesome :colbert:

Either color works for me, but the point of my post (it was probably an incomprehensible mess due to lack of caffeine), was that I don't understand why a tech needed to have another tech show him how to change the color. I'd never done it before and didn't bother looking up instructions. I just fired up putty and in a matter of seconds figured out how to change it. It probably took longer for the tech to walk over and show the other tech how to change it than it would have if the guy had bothered to figure it out for himself.

To contribute:
We have this wireless phone system in place that ties in to the existing Nurse Call system. This was purchased without talking to I.T. and of course we're expected to support it (Without any training, of course!). A couple of the access points decide to stop communicating over the weekend, so I try contacting the company for support and these guys want something in the neighborhood of $250.00, then $120.00/hr on top of that for after hours support. How can companies sell poo poo like this to hospitals, which, of course are open 24hrs?

The part that pisses me off, is that I didn't get a page for this until Sunday, when it started happening on Saturday. Instead, these idiots call the new guy directly (That's a rant for another day), who then refuses to come in because he's not the on call guy (understandable). But, he doesn't bother to let any of the other techs know that this is an issue. So, of course the nurses are all pissed that no one has contacted them for a whole day. The techs that have been here a number of years have worked hard to get these idiots to go through the proper channels of opening tickets and paging the on-call tech when it's an emergency and in less than a year, this moron has flushed all that work down the drain.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Caged posted:

I dunno, I'd say whoever decided to call someone directly instead of using the official channels and then got pissy when their request wasn't logged has flushed it down the drain.

True, but these guys opened a ticket on Saturday. From what I'm told, the person that called the tech directly didn't call until Sunday. So, they did call in a ticket, it just didn't get paged out (They should have told the helpdesk that it was affecting patient care, those are the magic words that gets a page sent out). Regardless, this guy has been told time and time again not to be giving out his personal numbers because end users will abuse it. He didn't listen, now he thinks that he should just be able to refuse to help and wash his hands of the situation. I've already bitched a number of times about this guy's refusal to listen to anyone. Had he listened to us, we wouldn't be in this situation. Unfortunately, the director seems to think this guys poo poo doesn't stink, so no matter how many times we tell him that this guy is loving up, he won't do poo poo about it.

Thankfully, the director has recently gotten married and has expressed on a couple of occasions that he's getting tired of the long commute (I drove that same commute for 4 years, he's only done it for 3mos.) so it's a very good possibility that he's going to find a job closer to home, especially since he now has a wife to worry about. When that happens, it's a very good possibility that the lead tech will get the director position (it's been offered before) and he knows the nonsense this guy has been pulling, so he'll probably poo poo-can him shortly after taking the directors role (And yes, he has plenty of documentation to back up his decision).

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Caged posted:

If he's been handing out the personal number to try to suck up to people then gently caress him.
Sucking up is this guy's M.O. That's precisely why the director thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
G.E.'s lovely software is my current piss off. Muse 7.0.2 worked perfectly fine on Windows 7 (32bit and 64bit). Muse 7.1.1. shits the bed when you try to launch it. Good job, G.E.!

Corporate is also pissing me off. The support contract we had up until 2010 also allowed free upgrades. So, if we still had that, we'd be able to skip 7.1.1 and go to 8.x, which supports Windows 7.

So, now we have to run this poo poo program through WinXP mode. I'm sure that G.E. probably doesn't technically support that configuration, so we're probably up poo poo creek if things decide to stop working.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

door.jar posted:

Welcome to healthcare where everything is made up and the dollar figures are astronomical. My company charges $150/hr for business hours support and double that for after hours. Of course, this means that pretty much everyone has a standard fixed rate support contract (guaranteed money). What are the odds that someone turned down a fixed contract to "save money", or hell, failed to get free cover for a few week period after initial install. Enjoy!

Yeah, I've been doing healthcare IT for ~13 years, so this shouldn't surprise me. It's also incredibly annoying when the company is on the opposite coast and only has support techs 8-5 their time. That's some bullshit. If you know you have customers in another time zone, you ought to be able to support them during normal business hours in that time zone as well.

I wouldn't at all be surprised that some cheapskate turned down a fixed contract. See my previous rant about G.E. Muse.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Bob Morales posted:

If you're in the USA don't ever, every buy software from a small company in Europe. Ever. That poo poo like 5 or more hours ahead of us.

Unfortunately, there are occasions where a department will go ahead and purchase hardware/software without bothering to consult us and then expect us to support it. The Ascom wireless system I was bitching about a few posts back is one of them. I think I mentioned another one in the old thread, where it's some software for the Physical therapists. The interface that the PT's actually see is web based. They purchased these massive Dell Precision "laptops" (these things are friggin' HUGE) with Core i7's, ATi FireGL GPU and 4+GB of RAM for this.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Siochain posted:

We support clients all over the world. We run support Mon-Fri 9:00-8:00 EST - people know this before they pay. We will work with people to arrange alternative hours. That being said, its prohibitively expensive to staff people 24/7 for 1-2 tickets a week that come in at "off-hours" time. But that being said, someplace running 9-5 PST with EST customers is silly, we at least cover longer times.

Well, I wouldn't expect someone to be there 24/7. Long enough to cover the majority of your customers perhaps. 8am-8pm should cover 8-5 both east and west coast. After that, I'd say an on-call tech would suffice, but we shouldn't have to pay out the rear end in order to get after hours support (depending on the service contract, of course).

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

ookiimarukochan posted:

I'm pretty sure that there've been people who work in healthcare in this thread or the next talking about how they've deployed AirWatch and I can assure you that they are next to useless in terms of information security (as in, they've been losing deals OR having the customer pull in additional vendors in on deals, negating the point of them too late.) - can't go into any further detail here as it'd break client confidentiality here but I can assure you you're wrong (There's also the UK government as an example here - Call Me Dave's special suite of Prime Ministerial applications for his iPad are famous, but said iPad doesn't have any credible protection installed. This comes from a member of the cabinet so anonymous for obvious reasons)
Well, poo poo. I work in healthcare I.T. and we're getting ready to deploy a MDM (I think it's Airwatch, I'll have to double-check). :(

Already, we're being told not to deploy it to Blackberry devices as there's some bug (Not sure what the issue is as they haven't gone into detail). We also have a deadline that we're supposed to have people on this drat thing, but the director has told us to hold off until the CFO has given the OK to begin deployment. We've already contacted her on numerous occasions and have yet to hear back. My guess, is that it's going to be yet another 'wait until the last minute' ordeal. Not at all looking forward to the upcoming clusterfuck.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Humphreys posted:

I actually used the words 'this is affecting production' in an email this morning :shepicide:

I received yet another ticket that said that it was affecting patient care. Problem is, the idiot at the helpdesk didn't page it out, so I didn't find out until I got back to my desk and hour later. Luckily, it was from the director of Radiology who is very understanding and does his best to stay on our good side since he doesn't have a PACS admin and relies on us a lot for issues in his department (despite none of us having any type of PACS training). I also like to help him out as I've been thinking of getting in to that field, so it's a good learning experience.

^^
poo poo, that sucks. :(
That wasn't Google that pulled that poo poo on you, was it (If memory serves, you were in the process of getting another job there)?

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 22, 2013

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dick Trauma posted:

When you consider how stupidly dependent people are on their cellphones it baffles me how so many lose the loving things. People are texting and Facebooking 24 hours a goddamn day to the point where they will literally walk into traffic while doing so and still they lose them.

The president asked me to order him a new one just last week, and now he's lost the current one and can't wait for the replacement to arrive on Tuesday. If it's that important keep track of it. :argh:

What type of phone? I have an Android (a couple, actually) and I'm able to bring up Google Play and it's able to show me roughly where my phone is. I mean, it'll show me the physical address but it's not going to tell me it's under the couch cushions. It will, however, let me have it ring at max volume so that it will help me locate it. I'm not familiar with iOS, but I would think they have something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dick Trauma posted:

The contractors upgrading the floor for our new HQ hacked out at least half of the Ethernet cabling!
Cabling and the folks that run our cabling is currently pissing me off. We've got quite a few of these that run to various closets and these asswipes haven't bothered to label which closet they go to. They have numbers, but being that there are multiple closets that have a drop labeled as 30D, that isn't very helpful. So, I've been running around like an idiot with the toner and wand to track down where they're terminated. Then, I've created labels and properly label the closet they're going to. Then, we have a couple of spots that look like they have drops, but it turns out, they've been clipped. Why the gently caress didn't they replace it with a blank plate?! I am so goddamn tired of doing other peoples jobs. I'm far behind on my own poo poo I have to do because I keep having to fix other peoples fuckups.