Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Swink posted:

So if I want an invoice from your company, it's costs me 15 bucks? gently caress you guys!

Unable to issue payment due to lack of submitted invoice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

guppy posted:

Edit: oh hey, new posts. This was about the LJ 1022.

That specific model's also likes to break the local print spooler, preventing printing even to other printers, so badly that the only way I've ever found to get it working again is to manually delete the files that represent the print queue. It isn't a consistent behavior, some jobs just make it poo poo itself, and if you just try to restart the print spooler service without doing that it will just break the service again.

In my experience, that consistently happens when you try to print a push with selectable text, and is occasionally(but not always) fixable by setting print as image in Adobe.

Edit: beaten by a bunch, that's what I get for not refreshing

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

It was 16F/-9C this morning in Dallas. Not much further south you can go than us...

I love that it's warmer up here than it is down there for once.it's fun listening to the news with everyone in the lower 48 freaking out about what is a regular occurrence for us.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Siochain posted:

Fair enough. I guess it never occurs to me since they're standard on anything sold up here :) Makes sense though.

Block heaters are standard here, but we have 3 military bases nearby, and any soldiers that bring their cars up from anywhere else have such a ridiculously hard time adjusting.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I wear carhart pants and a polo shirt. I live in an area where it is acceptable to wear carhart everything everywhere.

On topic, I'm currently at a job site that is a 2 hour drive one way from my office.I drive a company car and get paid for travel, but really feel like my day is wasted with that much time spent in the car.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Moey posted:

I feel like a ton of people would have no idea how to use a QR code.

I feel like qr codes would get more traction if built in camera apps supported them. As it is, nothing in a qr code is important enough to warrant unlocking my phone, opening some crappy special appthat takes 30 seconds to scan the drat thing.

Also, why doesn't the Swype autocorrect dictionary include curse words?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Being a jack of all trades is what's pissing me off today. And I don't mean in the regular MSP sense, where you're expected to take a support ticket, change some settings in active directory, then setup a VPN.

This was my day today:

* setup new dc for client in preparation of decommissioning an old 2003 server
* mounted a tv, setup a roku, and replaced a wireless router
* fixed quick books multi user issues
* finished manual share point update on sbs

Doing residential service makes me angry, break fix stuff tries my patience.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

poo poo pissing me off for the last month:

We sent a laptop off to warranty repair to ASUS on behalf of a client. It was sent back to us missing RAM, and every time we call them we get the runaround. It's gotten bad enough that our owner has been on the phone with them for the last two hours trying to get it escalate to someone that can make a decision.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 3, 2014

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

It definitely feels good to flip that power balance the other way around.

Yeah, but not to the shlub actually doing the work. Say Accenture signs a contract with Microsoft for $X/hr. Then they subcontract that out to Joe's Discount Consultancy for 0.66*X/hr, and Joe's actually pays the consultant 0.33*X.

We have couple contracts where we're on the tail end of that formula. We are a little better off though, since due to our region, we can dictate our rate. We have plenty of calls where they tell us that they won't pay our regular hourly rate, then call back two hours later because no-one else in ~350 miles is capable of doing the work.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 5, 2014

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Not pissing me off: after 8 months of paperwork and waiting, DoD secret clearance, plus tsa privileged access came through at the same time

Pissing me off: I'm going to be working 10 hour days for the next 9 to make sure nothing falls apart while I'm on vacation.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A c E posted:

That said, it wasn't the time frame that I care about. It was that I had to pry every bit of information out of them. If they had sent me an e-mail when they got the laptop saying it was there, sent another one when it was done and a final one with the tracking number this wouldn't have been an issue. However, when you tell me twice that you don't have the laptop I know you have, then you tell me its shipped when instead you sit on it for a week before actually shipping it, I'm going to be really annoyed.

ASUS Warranty service approaches Comcast levels of bad customer service. It wasn't always this way, but the last 3-5 years there has been a very obvious decline in quality. I personally think it started when Best Buy started reselling their laptops. I work for an ASUS reseller, and since we're a LCS, one of the things we do to differentiate ourselves from the big box stores is handle warranty calls for our customers. Basically, instead of having to make a phone call, accurately describe the problem, ship their laptop in, we do all that for them. The other brands we carry never give us the kinds of problems that ASUS has. One of many examples is the time when ASUS sent us back a G75 missing 8 GB of RAM, and then accused us of lying about how much RAM was in it when we sent it to them. Add on to that the number of times they've lost laptops, sent laptops back without repair and without contacting us, and all other kinds of incompetence. I really like their products, but holy gently caress is their service bad.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I've had nothing but completely useless service from both Asus and Acer.

I've had good results from support for acer's business products. Their home user support is bad, but not quite in the same league as Asus.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RadicalR posted:

Not pissing me off: New computers.
Pissing me off: Hard drives of said new computers.

So tell me when exactly Dell switched to PCI-E for Hard Drives?
How the hell am I going to clone these? We have several duplicators but they only take SATA connections.

Anyone worked with these before?

VVVV: Goddamnit, we could've gotten hard drives? At the rate this is going, that would've been a better choice.

Some specific brands of ssd's come as pci-e cards. They're usually pretty nice, but I wouldn't want to do a large scale deployment with them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

poo poo pissing me off this month: Trying to find any real information on products from MSP software companies like Labtech and Connectwise. Just so many layers upon layers of marketing garbage that I don't want to give any of these companies my money.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Something not pissing me off today: Drivesavers customer service.

We don't have to do data recovery for clients very often. (At most 3-4 times a year) But when we do they are always friendly, knowledgeable and competent.

It's always nice to talk to someone who isn't a total twat first thing in the morning, it doesn't happen often enough.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ursine Asylum posted:

Just means you can prioritize every manager's pet project over repairing the lovely laptops. Double points if the only place you can get replacement parts for them is ebay.

I like ordering parts for this type of client from aliexpress. Nothing like telling them that I had to order the part from china and it will take a month to get here.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

EuphrosyneD posted:

Point it at 0.<cctld>.pool.ntp.org and set the update interval to every hour....? :confused:

I would make sure that the phone system is using the same time source as your DC's, since there's nothing quite like the uproar that happens when the time displayed on the phones and the computers are different by 2 whole minutes.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

poo poo pissing me off today; I'm on a contract job, set up a couple computers, now I'm just sitting around waiting for a call back while the contacting does the rest of the configuration. It's been over a hour and I'm bored as gently caress.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Trying to deploy a new HP Envy 15-k118nr (with Beats Audio :whatup: ) with our standard Windows 8.1 image.

I get that this is obviously supposed to be a consumer laptop and was not aimed at business use (and I have no idea why it was purchased) but holy poo poo, is it that hard to put drivers in a pack for IT people? They already do it for a lot of their models here... and then the individual drivers that they have download as executables that install themselves instead of just giving me package that I can extract the .inf files from. :argh:

You have now idea how lucky you are that it didn't ship with "8.1 with Bing"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The whole concept of unions needs to be rethought. While having some sort of collective bargaining unit is definitely advantageous, too many unions turn into corrupt, self serving, protectionist havens for incompetents.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gyshall posted:

Maybe if your employer isn't treating you well log into their servers and start crashing the poo poo out of them, then go find another job. Same thing as a union, basically.

With friends like you, who needs enemies?

Seriously, never maliciously cause damage to an employers infrastructure, no matter how badly they treat you.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

It's 50 degrees outside. We just got a disk in the mail but my AS/400 guy is 'letting it warm up' before he installs the software.

I do that sometimes, but it's also -30 outside right now.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just got a RFQ from a .mil that had an Ayn Rand quote in his signature. Not sure why that bothers me so much, but it does.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If I am required to call your help desk to close a call when the work is done, it is not acceptable to make me wait on hold for 20 minutes.

Related, if you schedule a two hour call at 3pm, make sure that you understand how time zones work.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Something not pissing me off; village hopper airlines aren't on the main terminal, so I don't have to deal with the TSA, and can bring all of my tools on the flight.

Something that is pissing me off; I'm going to be MIA for two full days and poo poo is going to pile up.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk posted:

I'm the one pissing myself off:

When using robocopy to copy data, for the love of all that is good and righteous, remember to use /E. Double double remember to spot check your destination for everything before you purge the source.

This and my cryptolocker gently caress up last month makes me wonder just where the hell my attention is.

If you use robocopy on a regular basis, create a batch script for it.

Do:

code:

robocoby %1 . {Whatever flags you want}
pause

Put .bat file in destination directory, drag and drop source folder on top of .bat file.

Profit.

Disclaimer: I wrote this from memory on my phone while waiting for a plane, so excuse any mistakes, but the concept is sound.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Swink posted:

Can anyone link me to the post where the company didn't use/trust DHCP for their 4000 hosts?
I need to relive it.

This reminds me of a client I encountered a couple of months ago.

They are managed by adp, their entire private network is done in public ip space. None of the 50 or so hosts are directly connected to the internet. They are all behind nat. They don't actually own the class c that they use. When asked about it, they adp tech I was talking to basically said, " yup, that's weird, but it's been like that for 20 years, and wrere not going to change it."

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If I go out to lunch I always ask if anyone wants something. I have a company credit card, so if I'm buying lunch for the shop, work gets to pay for it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I was looking at a local competitors Facebook page and found a photo of a 5 year old lovely hack that I did in a crunch time and never went back and fixed.

Consider me suitably shamed.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

What isn't legal?

He's implying that you're getting actual value out of an unpaid intern. Which there have been a few high profile lawsuits about, but tons of companies still do it.

That being said, if it's a paid intern, his comment is irrelevant.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Boothbro talk is really weird.

In other news, I'm going to be working on a Sunday so I can install a patch panel at a new client.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

He could be using excel?

I have a client that uses a custom (read: they paid a consultant to design it for them) filemaker db for their project time tracking. It has been rock solid, no problems whatsoever for the last 8 years. It's just a total pain in the rear end to install on new computers, and I am not looking forward to replacing that server.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A client's RAID controller replicating bad blocks is a thing pissing me off this morning.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jeoh posted:

A USB Power Delivery port can deliver 100W (5A 20V).

Good luck getting that from most laptops.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Erwin posted:

I don't care that much, I'll read three threads or I'll read one fast-moving thread, but that argument doesn't hold water.

I like having 3 threads because I get 3x the dopamine from the new post notifications.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I can count on one hand the number of clients that don't have local admin.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lampey posted:

There are new hotkeys like win+x to get to frequently used functions. The default tools like rdp, copying files, and task manager work better. On 7 I would always use the connection manager instead of the stock rdp client but with 8 it's fine. Performance wise, 8 is a lot better if you are on a low end system. 8 boots up faster. Bitlocker is included with 8 pro compared to enterprise for 7, and hyper-v client is included with 8 pro. Native iso mounting. Native support for usb 3 instead of having to download manufacturer bloat.

In addition to those features, I also really like the new windows copy dialog.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Boogalo posted:

Should I not have made a 14x1tb 7.2k sas RAID6 yesterday? :shobon:

Boss took some convincing to not make me make it a 5. 50 might have been better.

No. And no.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Demonachizer posted:

Are you guys playing around about not knowing what ICO is? Like has irony bled out of GBS into SH/SC? It is a common way of asking for clarification on a line item and is shorthand for I can't Onderstand.

Onderstand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Storysmith posted:

Personally, I think of the giant drum-shaped antennas, and then site to site VPNs, but I'm willing to accept I'm weird for that.

I thought of the same things, only on reverse order.