Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cenodoxus posted:

Helpful tip: When you work for a company of 10,000+ and you're not a C-level executive, you don't need to (read: shouldn't) send a goodbye email on your last day to DL_ALL_EMPLOYEES waxing poetic about what a great time you had and how much you learned, and giving everyone your personal phone number and Gmail address.

I've never met you, but all of a sudden I don't like you.

Why do plebes have access to that alias?

Lock that poo poo down son before you end up in a reply all storm that generates a half million replies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Super Slash posted:

Oh no no no, stuff like that and the reply all button makes the best of humour. One place I worked at was one guy who requested a spam E-mail to be released, to which the tech support replied "Are you really sure you want to release [dubiously labelled penis enlargement product message]?

All of this happened over a national distribution group, where this moron thought it was a prime opportunity to put in a ticket; to which the drama/hilarity unfolds.

I love those on a small scale, but when you have 10k people? poo poo like this happens:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_storm

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

When the backup application says it's going to restore 2000 files and you only want 1 file, what do you do?

a) Set the application to overwrite the existing files.
b) Confirm your choice to overwrite the existing files.
c) Begin the restore of 2000 files.
d) Wonder why a customer is really pissed when 2000 files are overwritten.
e) Claim ignorance about your choices.
f) All of the above.
g) None of the above.

One of our guys chose F) today for a big client. Overwrote 2000 detailed CAD drawings with old versions.

And for some reason he didn't restore yesterday's backup to bring the files back. Instead he said "whoops nothing I can do" and went home.

The customer is super pissed. Rightfully so.

I just don't understand how anyone could do this.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Greg Jackson posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Exactly. Screw that guy.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MrMoo posted:

Minimum wage CJ or "consultant", not thinking or caring is pretty much standard practice. I hear similar from IBM contractors constantly: for example pulling all the cables out of a managed layer 3 switch, saying the ports are noted, then proceeding to reinsert cables into random ports and not understanding the problem when nothing comes back up, then goes home.

Oh I totally know this. I just don't understand. Even when I was a l1 helldesk guy I gave more of a poo poo than this.

Maybe that's why I'm not a low level helpdesk guy anymore, and he still is. :shrug:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

He's right about the toilet paper and coffee though. Every company I've ever worked for that scrimped on these was in financial trouble or managed by raging assholes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Priss In Plate posted:

A full server backup to an external drive failed. Doesn't look like it copied anything and failed right out of the gate, too. Guess I get to babysit it until it's done, since it's an important production server that has a terabyte and a half of data sitting on it.

Did I mention it's backing up over USB 2? :cripes:

Haha I had a customer the other day who was OUTRAGED that his restore from his local backups on an external hdd was going so slow. He restored from the cloud and it was super fast! WHY IS THE CLOUD FASTER THAN LOCAL THIS MAKES NO SENSE YOUR poo poo IS BROKEN RARG RAGE RAAAAAAAAAAH!

Drive was plugged into an ancient server with USB1. One.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dick Trauma posted:

My new boss is mad because he asked for a Los Angeles area code number for his new office and I gave him a 424 one. He demanded a 310 one, like anyone in L.A. gives a flying gently caress what someone's work area code is. The best part: his phone is always on Do Not Disturb and he uses the main office number on his business card.

What happened at this place? A couple years ago, post-Tony, you were so happy and boisterous and vomiting rainbows everywhere.

Did it grow too fast? I've seen lots of places end up in middle manager hell when they grow too quickly and the execs don't know how to handle it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Scaramouche posted:

I posted this in the Coding Horrors thread, but figured it'll be a better audience here. AWS is rebooting their entire cloud this weekend to deal with the Xen/bash vuln:
http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2014/09/25/amazon_readies_global_glory_reboot/

So... good luck if you have mission critical stuff on AWS I guess?

Huh.

This affect S3?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Every line in my backup script uses /mir, harumph.

/iss is better in every way.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Holmes I don't even know what /iss is, but /mir is my hero.

That's okay, it went way over your head. :)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

psydude posted:

So today I learned that one of our two COOP sites is located at sea level approximately 200 feet from the water.

New Orleans?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

totalnewbie posted:

Do you guys schedule "deep" scans with whatever antivirus software you use?

We have ours scheduled every Thursday starting at noon and that poo poo lasts until I'm about ready to go home, basically. It brings the computer to a crawl and annoys the hell out of me.

Everything we do with a performance impact (full virus scans, backups, etc) happens overnight when no one is using the system.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spazz posted:

You know I'm out of ideas when I post on Stack Exchange. Figured I'd post it here and see if any of you have advice.

poo poo that pisses me off: SharePoint.

Could there be some sort of file or database locking issue at play? If it's happening to larger files it could be that the system is choking at some point in the middle of the writes.

What sort of load is your Sharepoint server under? Is there any sort of resource constraint or write issue? Any disk- or other storage-related events?

If it's a farm, check both the database server and the front-end server, although if I'm right, it's probably the database end of things.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spazz posted:

SQL Deadlock or a TCP timeout between Office and the CSISRV (Core Storage Infra Service) are the two theories. Either way, it's a pain in the rear end to reproduce.

I'm writing a PowerShell script and Word macro to automate the check out, edit, check in process. I'm planning on running it overnight against our test system to see if I can reproduce it.

We had this happen to a hosted client on the 29th, and now an on-premise install in Asia had it happen on the 30th. I don't think server usage is a factor because the hosted client is a low utilization, and the on-premise client is a very busy one, but if my tests come back inconclusive I'll find a way to "simulate" load against my test site.

Have you checked the low-hanging fruit of disk/storage errors yet? I mean, it's always worth it to look. Seems unlikely if it's happening in two locations, but not impossible.

Otherwise, I think the SQL lock or network timeout is a pretty good start.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Super Slash posted:

I must've blanked out yesterday.

As I had to slash and burn everyone's remote access and blanket reset passwords, I had a deluge of calls first thing in the morning with every field agent barking that their E-mail doesn't work, even to the point that my non-techie colleagues were writing literal tickets for me because the phoneline was utterly flooded.

So while I'm struggling for air the boss walks over to remind me that I forgot to move a computer her daughter the intern could use (nevermind the fact both interns are jumping around different departments anyway); Ok my bad, should've done it yesterday.
However I replied "I'm really really busy sorting all these calls here, couldn't she just pick it up and move to the other desk since it's a laptop"
"No, I'm ordering you to have this computer moved as a priority"

The cherry on the cake was to come, when things calmed down a bit she called me into her office;
"I understand things are busy, but I'm very disappointed in you. I didn't appreciate your retort when I gave you a task to do"

Holy loving poo poo, I was in utter disbelief. It's a goddamn laptop lady, you just have to take out the power plug from the wall and take it wherever you want "I don't want her moving equipment like that because it has wires and things" it's not like I shouted or said things in dickish manner either. That had certainly set a new threshold for holding my composure... Jesus. :suicide:

Time to move on, buddy. You're working for morons.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

So I got a "promotion" yesterday.

To the job I was already doing. For the same pay. With the same job title. With the same responsibilities. Like, nothing has changed. Got a different boss out of the deal, though.

Total lateral move.

It was weird because they announced it publicly and I got all these congrats and stuff. The guys took me out for drinks, but the whole time I couldn't help but wonder if no one really knew I did all this stuff before.

I have a meeting with the new boss on Monday but unless this is a total bait and switch, this promotion is total office politics crap.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah this is the big topic for Monday. What exactly is the point of this move?

It may honestly be to get me more exposure as a prelude to something bigger. I just single-handedly pulled the entire support organization out of a fire this week, after all.

I have a second interview with one of my dream companies on Tuesday also. If they make an offer I'll probably take it. I'd only refuse if they somehow offered me less than I make now.

So this promotion stuff may be moot. We'll see.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ConfusedUs posted:

So I got a "promotion" yesterday.

To the job I was already doing. For the same pay. With the same job title. With the same responsibilities. Like, nothing has changed. Got a different boss out of the deal, though.

Total lateral move.

It was weird because they announced it publicly and I got all these congrats and stuff. The guys took me out for drinks, but the whole time I couldn't help but wonder if no one really knew I did all this stuff before.

I have a meeting with the new boss on Monday but unless this is a total bait and switch, this promotion is total office politics crap.

I hope my new boss comes back with something better later today, because our earlier conversation went like this:

"So, what's in it for me?"

"What do you mean?"

"Same job, same pay, why do I want this?"

"Uh, mumble, value for company, mumble, new responsibilities, question mark?"

"What new responsibilities?"

"blah, blah, mumble, stuff you already do, interrogative?"

"I already do all of that."

"Uh, mumble, confused stammer, maybe?"

It went on like that for a while. :(

ConfusedUs posted:

I have a second interview with one of my dream companies on Tuesday also. If they make an offer I'll probably take it. I'd only refuse if they somehow offered me less than I make now.

So this promotion stuff may be moot. We'll see.

This, on the other hand, is turning out to be very promising. Interview went well. I hope to god they make an offer. If it's even remotely good I'm gonna take it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pissing me off: job postings, for which I meet every listed qualification, but after several interviews it turns out I'm missing a key skill that wasn't advertised yet is integral to the job. :(

At least they were nice enough to apologize and discuss it though. I have a short list of things to learn. I will probably re-apply in a few months.

But still, I could have done this before all the interviews and whatnot, if I'd known.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Scaramouche posted:

Isn't 2003 EOL soon now too?

July 2015

It can't get here soon enough.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Volmarias posted:

That stinks, sounds like HR got their grubby mitts on the job description and "fixed" it. At least you have a lead on something!

Yeah! The whole thing was quite amicable. They even called me to say how much they liked me but this particular skill was just too important. Then gave me a bunch of resources.

Not like they just thanks-but-no-thanks'd me via email. I really appreciate that.

I just wish I'd known about this before I got my hopes up. Two interviews and several exchanges later I was really digging this.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Scaramouche posted:

Eehhhh, you know what, if you weren't running Exchange on it W2k3 had a pretty good run. Sure it had a lot of foibles but in the end it was relatively stable for all that.

Not in my experience. I did some reports once and (2 years ago) 2k3 machines represented ~40% of our user base and ~85% of our support cases. Granted, I'm looking at this from a backup perspective, but man, every time I see a 2k3 machine in a ticket I kinda cringe a little.

I know it's gonna suck, and whatever problems they're having with their backups can be traced mostly a mix of general server suckiness or VSS issues.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

incoherent posted:

My phone server is a unholy hellplane of windows server 2003, SQL express, and java 6.

Just got an email last week they're upgrading the os with the latest version of the phone software....

...to 2008.

Man, I've seen dozens of servers like this. They're usually awful to deal with. I've lost track of how many support cases we can trace to these things running out of some resource, be it memory, disk space, or whatever.

I feel your pain, man. :(

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. You got a legal department? Bring them in now.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

meanieface posted:

Hell, I check to make sure it's not so loud that you can hear it coming from my headphones. Turn off the radio, Milton.

In other irritating news -- after updating Chrome, ALL sharepoint sites are now displaying fonts incorrectly. It's not comic sans, it's worse, it's some kind of blocky horrid 'cute' font. I ask my coworker if he ever found a way to fix his, nope. I ask the helpguy and he says he's gotten a lot of tickets on it and if I find a solution, let him know. So I ask the sharepoint guy--who says to use IE. :argh:

I bet that the font is set somewhere in SharePoint. One browser is ignoring the font choice in favor of the default while the other honors it. Or something like that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dick Trauma posted:

The president of one of my best tech vendors called today because he thinks there might be an opportunity for me to work with them. They target my industry and my inside knowledge applies to pretty much everyone in our business. I'm not sure if this would be a good fit or if the work would be too sporadic to be a real job but I'll be giving it some thought and calling him back to discuss it further. It was nice to be thought of by someone I consider highly competent.

Yeah, you should at the least look into it bro!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

They only paid $9.95 for that $12 ham so it was a great deal!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dick Trauma posted:

It's annoying how employers and recruiters update their jobs posts so that day after day the posting appears to be brand new. When I search by date at all the job boards I have to wade through the same raft of jobs that I've seen for days and try to pick out the ones that are freshly posted.

A job search is a full time job of its own. :(

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks Ants posted:

Do you not have any recourse at all in that situation? That sounds extremely lovely.

A resignation letter--sent via some sort of verifiable means--would be enough to counter the claim of no notice. But when you quit via post-it note...

Also, appeal anyway. Worst that happens is you waste their time. Best that happens is you get your unemployment benefits.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

President Ark posted:

Oh jesus.

I work at a really small (<5 people) MSP in southern New Jersey that's been going through some complicated stuff lately (bought by another company, owner nearly had a heart attack and had to leave the company). We do work with a bunch of other pretty small companies in the area. Part of what we do usually involves setting up crashplan for people.

Turns out one of the crashplans was set up incorrectly by the former owner.
Turns out that client was owned by a bunch of local millionaires (insurance company).

Guess who just got cryptolockered.

e: Before you ask, it's one of the recent variants that hasn't had its keys found, not the original one.

Man, this isn't on you, but to everyone reading this:

Test your backups. Seriously. A backup you cannot restore is no backup at all.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Inspector_666 posted:

It's frustration-free packaging. It's just something Amazon does and it means no sealed plastic clamshells or what have you.

And it's quite amazing. I hate those plastic clamshells.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

psydude posted:

The key is to do remote work for a company in the DC, NY, or SF area so you can get paid the part to live in a city half the COL.

Company based in SF and Boston. I live in Oklahoma.

It's great, except for the part where I live in Oklahoma.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spazz posted:

poo poo pissing me off again: SharePoint.

SharePoint is the worst at what it does, except for all the others.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Why are the instructions to every open source software the shittiest thing? Why do they all say "oh just enter the IP and credentials in the installer and it'll work that's really all there is to it :D" and then it doesn't and you go digging through their forums and turns out you have to edit this and configure this (and this isn't like a complicated custom setup, you absolutely have to do this for it to work) and all this poo poo that is literally nowhere in their documentation or wikis? I got it working now, but holy christ it sucked getting it there.

Because it makes total sense to the engineers who wrote it. Most engineers don't speak end user.

Seriously, like half my job is translating poo poo my engineers say.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Che Delilas posted:

I already told you, I deal with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to! I have people skills! I am good at dealing with people, can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

I make this joke about once a week.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

evol262 posted:

Hi, Linux hasn't had these problems in years. Dependency resolution happens automatically now, the RHEL and Ubuntu LTS lifecycles are long enough that you don't need to worry about distro versioning for software (and there's large enough that every major utility targets them, so they're guaranteed to work with the versions they have), and Linux is a lot more professional in general.

Man, our support guys run into dependency issues daily, so it can't be as automatic as all that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GUIs and CLIs both have their places.

It's really nice to be able to just click a button and fix something, or to compare two things side by side. GUIs are good at these things!

It's also really nice to find a common task, write a script for it, and set that sumbitch to run whenever neccssary. CLIs are good at these things!

It's even okay to prefer one over the other. I really prefer working in a GUI whenever possible. Fiddling with conf files and manually writing out stuff sucks! But even so, I have absolutely written a few Powershell and batch scripts to automate repetitive, common tasks.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

sfwarlock posted:

One of the higher techs came in and found his laptop - which had been running Linux - reinstalled with Windows 8. I hear thirdhand that in the ensuing polite, genteel, and quiet conversation, it was mentioned to him that: it was not 'his' laptop, but the company's; any data lost should have been backed up anyway, because hard drives fail; and if we had any procedures which were cobbled together using "non industry-standard tools", we needed to discard those and use the "industry standard".

Something along the lines of if he sees a car mechanic using a stick and a heavy rock to change a tire, he's going to hand said mechanic a tire iron instead, and if the mechanic doesn't know how to use the standard tool, then he's an incompetent mechanic.

The tech then mentioned that perhaps he wasn't the incompetent person in the room, to which he was invited to depart the premises immediately and permanently.

New manager is also marking his territory. It's like prison here...take out the first guy to give you lip so everyone else falls in line!

(This is hosed up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Che Delilas posted:

All it takes is having absolutely zero personal integrity. Part of me wants to blame commissions and a cutthroat competitive culture for pushing them into this mentality, but enough salespeople are just so slimy that I don't really care who started it; the whole thing can burn.

A lot of that can be mitigated with proper policies and accountability. Sales guys are typically motivated by the money, so make doing the Right Thing be the same place the money is, and hold them accountable when they don't do the Right Thing.