Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Putting a link to a screencast of you talking in an email ticket is not an acceptable means of communicating the work you need done. Shitlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Drighton posted:

I've seen a book mentioned a few times in these threads for IT management. Anyone remember what it is? Or maybe have one they recommend?

The Prince is a good start.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

:thejoke:

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Putting URGENT or EMERGENCY in your ticket subject makes me ignore it 5x longer than if you had remained calm.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

What the gently caress is it with people and conflating "and" with "or"? I don't mean programming-wise, I mean when I send you instructions that say CONDITION A and CONDITION B must be met for THING to happen, that doesn't mean that you can get away with just meeting one of them. This is like, elementary school English.

I work supporting mostly small ecommerce sites (not development-wise, just the hosting side) and I am extremely convinced that reading comprehension is indeed a powerful skill alongside logic that most people do not have.

I am always amazed at how these people who manage to run a profitable business cannot understand our support replies or follow extremely basic instructions.

Most of the support roles I have turn into child management since I am pretty sure most people never become adults, they just remain ignorant retard children with responsibilities and their whining gets people to hold their hands when they should be probably be left in the gutter.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Simpleboo posted:

Anyone else have a hard time with co-workers with either a language barrier or an accent? Working today with an older end user who I can not understand at all. I'm sure it's just as irritating for her as it is me when I have to ask her to repeat herself 20 times for each sentence she speaks.

We have this problem with customers outside the United States. I mean if you deliberately pick a company explicitly US based to do business with, maybe get someone to speak English to us for support instead of typing non-sense sentences from Google Translate. I'm not going to give a gently caress and I'm not going to read your mind to try and figure out what you really want.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

XPS13
MacBook Pro
Yoga

I have a Yoga 2 and its super high DPI screen is amazing plus the folding into a tablet is nice for couch surfing. It was also $750 refurbed.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Sirotan posted:

They're like $850 new so that doesn't seem like a great deal.

Anyone considering the Yoga 2, please read: we gave one to one of our sites to demo as our potential model to replace current units, and the screen on it cracked within the first two weeks of use. It cracked perfectly down the middle of the camera, and then curves to the left to meet up with the side of the screen. Based on what I've read from equally unhappy Yoga 2 owners, there is probably some defect in the design/build in these as a lot of people have reported their screens cracking spontaneously or when not in use/with very little actual use. Of course I can't say with 100% certainty that one of my users didn't just manhandle the thing, but the screen is so thin and flimsy, I really think it's a design flaw.

Oh yeah and a new screen will cost you $600 as they classify it as an out-of-warranty repair.

My wife and I have identical models and neither has cracked. I will say their sleep mode is a bit wonky sometimes but that could be the weird VPN software I have installed, as well.

My biggest complaint is that the intel video drivers suck so I can't enjoy the awesomeness that would be playing Civ 5 on a huge touchscreen.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I dont understand, does he wanted it printed then emailed to him ??

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

psydude posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: coworkers that come in to work while super sick. Nothing you do is that important; stay the gently caress at home.

If I'm not paid for sick days then I will show the gently caress up unless I'm paid incredibly well already.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Volmarias posted:

I don't know if this is more for Software Engineers, but updating your resume on LinkedIn makes the recruiters jump out of the woodwork.

This happens to me, but all recruiters are poo poo so I usually end up telling them some really high rate to see if they'll bite. Sorry cheap fucks I'm not looking to be your catchall admin for $12/hr.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

If arguing gets you fired you either argued like a dick or its a place you don't want to work at anyway.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Where do I find non-poo poo employees? We are hiring for a full time position and all the resumes we get are filled with bad grammar and other glaring mistakes, not to mention some of the info is just out right bogus looking.

I don't need perfection in a resume but you have to be able to put together something understandable.

I've never done hiring before so I don't know what I'm doing wrong with my searches.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

We have been using resumator, which does a good job of giving us a submission form to put out. And then it posts to the boards like Indeed and w/e for us.

I also posted it in the job thread here - goons

Please hack it to pieces, I literally don't know where to go with this. Normally we put up the company name but in this case we are trying to replace a current employee and we are too small to just get rid of him and then search.

Beyond resumator its mostly craigslist postings.

Sylink fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 11, 2015

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I also have the problem of I get some insane dude who was working on Unix since the 70s and is so overqualified we can't afford him.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Our salary range is perhaps $18-$30/hr depending, though our approach is to go low and offer accelerated raises if the person works out. For example, I got a 50% raise the first year.

And our night staff is based in Ukraine where the COL is even lower.

We are admittedly cheap but being 100% remote we all live in low cost of living areas like the midwest, so we don't look for people in the major tech areas where salaries would have to double. This is great feedback, though, thank you guys.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Thanks for the input guys, we are revamping a lot of things.

Though, you guys need to see some therapists with your hopeless negativity and assumptions about "poo poo jobs" :)

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Sorry you can't have a conversation man :shrug: relax but I'll just ignore you instead. Have a nice day.

I'm new to hiring and such thats why I actually bothered to ask for input.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I don't recall saying I disagreed with you, so good non-point.