Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Dick Trauma posted:

People who leave a voicemail saying "Call me" or "I have a quick question." Just tell me what you want in the message, you dumbshits. You don't have to keep your message below five seconds.

My work has a 15 second limit on voicemail because of super harsh data retention policies the government has put on our industry. If they don't just say "Hello it's X call me at #" they just get cut off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
If you haven't picked a mount yet, look at Chief, their universal wall mounts for TVs are great.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Reprogram a remote? poo poo, I've got users who can't turn on their TV. We had to make an instruction sheet with directions such as: Point remote at TV, press button marked ON.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

skooky posted:

What in the actual gently caress?

Every day I see a new piece of evidence reaffirming that US Labour laws are all kinds of hosed up.

But he's in the UK.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

A brand new InFocus projector decided to poo poo the bed by overheating ten minutes after it was turned on for the first time. Now it won't power on at all. We needed it for an event tomorrow. Now I have to ceiling-mount one of the many decade-old projectors we have in storage, none of which have lamps you can actually see with the lights on.

To be fair, though, it might be my fault for not giving the bottom vents on this one enough space. :saddowns:

I think the bigger lesson should be don't buy InFocus, their stuff is cheap for a reason.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Sickening posted:

Projectors have always made me nervous. They just aren't something you buy often enough to really know what is good and what is bad. The pricetag is also one of those things that makes buying a lemon scary as gently caress.

We're probably a different case than most of you, since we're the ones who install and maintain them, but the "lowest" quality we go is Cannon, the main bulk of our install base is Sony, then sprinkle in some ProjectionDesign/Barco and Christie. In the low-mid to mid end of the market Sony's projectors are really strong.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
God damned vendor is pulling the reporting tool our ticketing system uses and is replacing it with a different one that is harder to use, and has less granularity. After our IS department sent me the "instructions" (read incomplete poorly made word document) I spent several hours trying to replicate the report the old system gave us, and after failing I contacted the support team whose response was basically to "keep messing with all the different reports and options until you find something close to the old reports." What the gently caress kind of answer is that? loving massive pain in the rear end that I've already wasted half a day on.

The ticketing system is already a horrible fit for my group and what we do that we've been shoehorned into at the bequest of IS, and this is just the cherry on top of the poo poo sundae.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Dick Trauma posted:

Long story short, someone approved a quote for a $5,000 video display system which appears to be two TVs and a server of some sort. I asked for the make and model of the display system as well as the name of the server software so I can find out the specifics and she says "Well basically you just put the video on the server. So how do we do this?"

I hope for your sake it isn't Symon Targetvision SDA. If they bought consumer grade TV's your price sounds just about right. It's a networked digital signage device that's really just a P4 windows (Vista on ours!) box with some custom software. At my job they use them to send company information to monitors at the various coffee break stations. It's pretty much a glorified power point that also has a news crawl at the bottom and weather information that it pulls from Symon's servers. Besides the fact that Symon's support is less than good and their news and weather feeds just randomly break, we have had a just under 50% hardware failure rate with their boxes.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Spazz posted:

None of this will help if the line in your area is bad in general. After over 6 months of fighting with Comcast over intermittent issues a few years ago, the FE who came out to my house admitted that there's someone in the neighborhood with lovely wiring that is putting noise back on the line and affecting everybody else. It's since stopped, so the only thing I can imagine is they shut them off or fixed it for the person.

At my old house I came home to no internet after work, called Comcast and I was the dude with the lovely wiring (I knew it was poo poo, it was all rg-59 that was 30+ years old, I was actually getting ready to rewire the house myself), they had turned it off because I was loving everyone else up, they were doing planned upgrades and maintenance to our whole area and as part of that they were re-wiring houses like mine, so a short while later 4 trucks rolled up and redid my whole house (free of charge even) including from the pole to the house itself.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Scaramouche posted:

Surprised the bow-tie and/or ascot hipsters haven't snuck out of the woodwork yet.

We have bow tie wearers, all seem to be graduates of UVA. It's like a thing with them.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

RadicalR posted:

Most likely someone that's currently on unemployment.

This. They've got to submit X number of applications a week to keep their benefits. Years ago managed a fast food place briefly and we'd get several every week that were filled out in such a way that you'd never higher that person, they were just handing them out to any place they could to meet the basic requirements.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Dick Trauma posted:

This year I will be receiving a separate annual review from each of my four bosses. Yes, my last boss is somehow still one of my bosses even though she and I both report to my new boss and my box is no longer below hers on the org chart. I said "this makes me feel overmanaged" and my new boss said "I would've killed to have that much leadership when I was your age."

Not only is that a stupid thing to say since I don't receive leadership from any of these people, nor can one person be simultaneously led by four people, but I'm actually older than my new boss.

The Aristocrats.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I've had so much better luck with Comcast support by saying something snarky about a problem on twitter and adding @comcast and some variation of #fail at the end than with calling them it isn't even funny.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Lightning Jim posted:

Man, the level of Dell-hard-on I'm getting off of this is kinda creepy.

Probably has an in-law/frat brother/sisters kid or something similar working in sales for Dell.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I have one of those for my NetFlix computer, and it's just barely tolerable for that. It sucks to type on and the track pad is lovely and unresponsive.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Ynglaur posted:

Large video conferences are pissing me off. How loving hard is it to mute yourself when you're not talking so that everyone doesn't need to hear echoes and feedback?

Do you have something like this:

http://www.biamp.com/products/nexia/nexia_vc.aspx

They take some tweaking, but they've made a world of difference for us.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Gwaihir posted:

This reminds me, my mom used to teach K/1/2 special ed. The bathroom in her classroom had a big sign on the inside of the door that said "The poop goes IN THE TOILET, not on the floor!"

Some adults bathrooms probably need that sign.

When I worked construction years ago on the wall of the port-o-john someone had scrawled with sharpie "poo poo in the toilet not on the seat." Unfortunately many, people ignored the plea. There was more poo poo everywhere than when I used to clean barn stalls.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Bob Morales posted:

The real reason is because the owner LOVES printing emails. So if you have this email chain going, he'll print it and it's 85% signatures and he flips the gently caress out.

He also forces everyone to print double-sided and tells people NOT to print unless they have to and he runs around picking up printouts to use for scrap paper.

Reading your post history it's like you work for a sort of crazy hybrid of Scrooge McDuck and Montgomery Burns.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Yes, it was quite a place to work. The building was terrible and there wasn't a bathroom on our floor (the basement) for months. There was one a few floors up, but I mean why walk 100 feet when you can just whiz in that Snapple bottle you emptied a few minute ago.

People would do that all the time back when I worked construction. The worst was opening a closet and finding someone had poo poo in a little empty box and just left it in there with the door closed. Add in the summers oppressive heat and it baked into just the most amazingly nauseating aroma.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Tigntink posted:

I don't know how the gently caress you manage to work somewhere so far that you've got a 22+ mile commute. But then again my commute is 8 miles and takes me 30 minutes or more.

It just depends on the area, I grew up in Washington DC commuter hell, where 50+ mile commutes aren't considered unusual.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

wa27 posted:

TV mounts

No excuse for that dude to be lovely about that, but man, working with bad monitor mounts sucks. If you've got the budget for them, got to B&H and order whatever Chief brand mount fits your monitor. They're not cheap (150ish-200 retail depending on size and if you need it to tilt or not) but gently caress, they are the Rolls Royce of mounts. We've put in 100+ in the last year and they are just the easiest to work with of anything we've used.

Something like this:

http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/ltm1u

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

DigitalMocking posted:

I can't help it, I work for a company that makes high end audio gear used in board rooms, stadiums, arenas etc. I used to be fine with throwing a decent polycom puck with some mics on it in a room.

I can't do it any more. We have a system that auto-tunes the mics and speakers for the room and its just mind-bogglingly good. Beam forming mics that track who's talking and ignore background noise. You can have a conference call between rooms, talk super soft and hear everything.

Tell me more/give me some links. We've got a boardroom that is a poo poo show. 30' wide, 50' long, 15' ceilings, and every surface is hard and reflective. Ohh, and they won't let us put any acoustical treatments on the room, because it ruins the historical "look". Executives complain that calls sound hollow and echoey, no poo poo they sound like that, the loving room echoes when you talk normally. Currently running some Shure mx393/Os through a Nexia VC, and it's... acceptable at best.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

DigitalMocking posted:

That's very funny you have a Nexia VC. That's the company I work for, Biamp systems. Nexia was a great product, for its time, but its really limited in terms of what it can really do when it comes to signal processing. We just set up our new facility using our new Tesira line and some new mics that aren't available yet (all beam forming) and its pretty impressive for sound quality, even in a cavernous lunchroom that will double as our company meeting room. The bigger rooms (6 - 8 people) are all run off of Tesira systems with Oreno as the dialer. The smaller rooms are all Bring Your Own Device hooked up with our new Devio product and its beam forming mics, and while I'm not an audio nerd, this is the product that blows my mind. You can sit in this small room with your laptop, plug into devio via USB and now you have a 4k camera and 65" screen to work with, but the audio quality blows my mind. You can talk just above a whisper and be heard crystal clear.

Depending on your budget, you might want to talk to an integrator that can get you a sound survey for that room, the proper noise canceling mics and a brain with some real DSP.

Our corporate boardroom suffers what you suffer from, but its not as big. You know how they say the painter's house always needs painting? Yeah. We've got two nexia's in our main corporate boardroom and some old rear end ceiling mics, not even our newer Audix celing mics.

We had a sound survey a few years back, the guy called "...the most active room I've ever seen". The VC has been there long enough that when it was installed it was top of the line, we (the AV department) know it has got to go, and the whole room redone, but dealing with our bosses (the IS department) is frustrating because they don't understand anything AV related. We've got an integrator coming to look at it later this year, I just wanted some ideas to look at/pitch before then. It's all going to be a hard sell anyway, because IS refuses to believe us when we say the whole room can't be redone in a weekend.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

DigitalMocking posted:

Man, god speed.

DSP can do some amazing poo poo these days, but that room sounds like a nightmare.

There's more glass, aluminum, and wood in here than a drat Apple store. Architecturally and aesthetically the building is lovely, but from an acoustical standpoint, most of the conference rooms are nightmares.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

pixaal posted:

Pissing me off, registered new domain names 1 at a time as CEO calls from a sales meeting. Just how many are you going to buy today? Spent almost $500 on domain names, when we let $500 worth of domain names we never used expire or going to expire later this year. What the hell is the plan of all of these? Do all companies own 50+ domain names?

The company where I'm working has at least 3819, just with a cursory reverse Whois search.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My hedge fund was opening a second office on a different floor of the same building. They asked for a virtual telepresence wall. I was sort of confused and asked them to explain the exact experience they wanted. They said they saw another company had a wall that was covered in monitors, and you could walk up to it and talk to the other office as if it was the other half of the same room. So both rooms have one end full of monitors and it looks like basically the room continues. I asked if they saw this on TV or actually in person, and they were like "just figure it out". My boss since this was $AWFUL_JOB, told them it'd be perfectly doable and seriously took money from then in exchange for this outcome.

I quit before it became a thing, I'm so glad. I can't fathom how that is a thing.

"Immersive Telepresence". It's a thing, but a dying thing, as people realize that 500-700k per room, plus 10k+ in support and bandwidth bills per month aren't really worth it.

Something like this http://www.polycom.com/hd-video-conferencing/realpresence-immersive-video-telepresence.html

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Sickening posted:

Is this an inside joke I missed or unironic racism?

He's saying the doctors he supports are racists, and don't want to call the offshore helpdesk.

At least that's what I think they're saying.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Who is worst at naming business products, Microsoft or Google?

lol i kid it's clearly microsoft

Our Lync hasn't been "upgraded" to Skype for Business yet so I get to frequently have drat Abbott and Costello style conversations where I go back and forth with a client about whether or not they sent the "Lync link".

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Right now, the best version of lync Skype for Business to have is Slack, but soon MS is probably going to buy them and then we'll get Microsoft Cloud Chat for Business, and you'll have to put on the an Oculus Rift to navigate the subscription plan options.

Oh, I'm not using Lync as an IM client (well not usually), no mostly we are using it in place of a more robust webcasting solution for smaller meetings when people balk at the price On24 charges.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

xzzy posted:

People that use zip ties in racks are bad enough, but there's a special level of hell for people that zip tie loops of wires to a rack post.

"No I never considered anyone would ever want to trace a cable, why do you ask?" :downs:

And it's always the same assholes who use cutters to trim the zip ties into the sharpest possible flesh rending points.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Do you mean actual cutters, like the things you're supposed to use with zip ties? (I call them Xcelites but that's mostly because that's the brand I tend to have, I think the name is shear-cutters or something). Because those are amazing and if you do it right and not like a moron you actually leave no sharp points sticking up from the zip tie head at all. Of course if you're sloppy and don't take the extra half second to make sure the cutter blades are flush to the zip tie head then yeah, you leave points, and should also be killed by slow neck cutting with those points. And anyone who uses scissors on zip ties can loving die in a fire.

I've always called them side cutters, the problem is we inherit or get handed a lot of poo poo done by the laziest/cheapest contractors they can find and some of the racks are just a forest of jagged poo poo. Anything my group does is done right.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Weatherman posted:

Why does :siren: American Exceptionalism :siren: only ever get applied to "we can't do this simple and good thing that other countries do because :endless fountain of tears" situations?

You sent people to the loving moon and back. If you can't organise corralling people for one day every four years then it's because you suck, not because it's some kind of impossible undertaking that has never ever ever been attempted before in the history of human, neanderthal, and dinosaur civilisation.

I bet if the task was "pay people to stop poors from voting" or "send the military to the other side of the world to depose a head of state and steal a country's oil" then you'd find a way to git 'r done.

You need to look at the numbers involved here. The most recent numbers show that about 129.7 million people voted in this election, that's the equivalent of the 10th largest country in the world, double the population of the UK, in a land mass thats approximately 16x larger than France all doing one thing in a ~12ish hour window on one day. It's not just as easy as saying, hey lets change how we do it next time, it's pretty amazing it goes as well as it does now.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

stevewm posted:

Comcast fucks up yet again.

Apparently business accounts had their account numbers changed starting in December. We paid our November bill as always way before it was due. Comcast cashed the check.

However they have lost the payment. The old and new account number shows no record of said payment, and their horrible "customer service" agents know fuckall about it. All they can do is keep parroting "our billing system does not show a record of payment, would you like to make a payment today?"

The best part is their phone tree system gives you NO other options other than make a payment if you have a past due amount. It asks no less than 4 times if you would like to make a payment and then hangs up on you if you keep saying no. I only got around it by saying agent.

Comcast is the worst. I loving hate their god drat phone tree, half the time I end up saying I want to add new business service, then make the person I get on the phone transfer me to the right department, that's if it hasn't just hung up on me for no reason. And gently caress you if you need tech support and there is an outage anywhere near you, because even if that's not your issue the phone tree will just tell you there is an outage and they can call you when its resolved and then it hangs up on you.

The account number change is a god drat nightmare if you have lots of cable boxes, which I do since I support TV for all the people in our building who have a "business need" for it. Under the old system I had one account number with all my boxes (50ish), now they changed it so each account number can only have 25 things one it, but each cable box counts as two things so I now have 5 different account numbers, but because their system is poo poo no one there can tell me which box goes to which account number or which # has open space on it for me to add new boxes. All the techs I've dealt with obliquely imply that their systems aren't really designed for locations to have more than a few boxes and it shows.

Replacing defective/obsolete boxes and activating new ones is a god drat nightmare guessing game, and half the time requires multiple calls since the techs always gently caress up the remote activation procedure.

xzzy posted:

I'm half curious to know how Comcast manages their accounts, the system has to be unbelievably massive and burdened by decades of hacks trying to integrate regions and acquisitions. Supporting that must be one stressful loving job.

From what I was told by the techs the new lovely account system is because they completely overhauled the back end to a unified, yet still very lovely, system.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

dc3k posted:

All of our meeting rooms (like 30+) have some insane Cisco teleconference bullshit in them. Tens of thousands per room.

Everyone just uses Hangouts and Airplays to one of the TVs if someone needs to dial in.

These things?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/collaboration-endpoints/telepresence-mx800/model.html

I swear someone on the IS team got a kickback from Cisco, because we're putting these drat things everywhere, even in rooms that have no need for video conferencing. 10'x10' 6 person room that one SVP uses for little sit downs with their directors maybe once a week? gently caress it, slap one of these in there.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

angry armadillo posted:

They are so paranoid about security in our place, they cover up the VC camera in case it broadcasts somewhere :iiam:

We frequently get repair calls in our factory location because workers sneak into conference rooms to take an unscheduled break and disconnect the video conference units because they think the cameras can spy on them.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Bob Morales posted:

We have 75 male employees here and 2 shitters

not enough

here's my poop math calculations

Seriously hate when I have to poo poo and can't find an open one for a half hour

OSHA actually has rules for that. With 75 male employees there should be at least 3 sit down toilets (4 total toilets but you can replace some fraction with a urinal).

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=202

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

fishmech posted:

But the most important reason HDMI or DisplayPort is the best to use of all? Easiest to plug in and unplug.

No, that's the worst part of them. VGA sucks, but knowing that once you've screwed the cable in it's not coming out is great. An extra gently caress you to manufacturers who think downward facing HDMI ports are a good idea (I'm looking at you Sharp). I wish more video formats used BNC like SDI does.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
To be fair, my complaints aren't desktop monitor based, this is all wall mounted stuff, lots of it displays in a high vibration factory type environment, HDMI sliding out is an issue that comes up.

I don't remember the last time I saw an actual full sized DisplayPort, MiniDP sure, but that gets turned into HDMI before it goes into the monitors.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Agrikk posted:

poo poo not pissing me off [surprisingly]: Comcast

Ordered a service move from my old house to my new house And they bumped me to 70/10 with a net decrease in price.

Not only that but the cutover went easy-peasy with only four hours of downtime and they actually managed to preserve my static IP addresses and my phone number this time.

I literally don’t know what to do with myself now. I had been mentally gearing up to do battle with their support all day.

poo poo really pissing me off: Comcast, today they took 12 of our boxes, moved them to a new account number, and deactivated them this morning for no discernible reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
How your Comcast experience goes 100% depends on the tech you get on the other end of the phone. I've run the gamut from so grotesquely incompetent I've hung up and called back to get someone else, to completely competent professionals who solve my problem in 10 minutes. To be fair with anywhere between 40-45 cable boxes under my watch I probably deal with them more often than most people, boxes die way more often than you'd think, and they gently caress up billing and activation constantly. I had one month where I spent 40 of my 152 hours in the office on the phone with them.