Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

skipdogg posted:

You're a good guy but you really have got to work on your empathy skills. They usually get better as you get older, but you have a glaring inability to put yourself in other peoples shoes and consider all angles of an issue.
So like most people in IT, then? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Misogynist posted:

So, uh, you're sure the HR person didn't just mistype it?
Even if it was a mistake on their end, I'm sure rolleyes was professional enough to have sent a 'hey, this was mistakenly received' reply without any of his comments here. We use this thread as a way to vent about stupid stuff so we don't say or do those things to people at our jobs.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

dogstile posted:

So after that weekend work I did in Wales, my boss said "sure, have the next day off". What he didn't tell me was that it was coming out of my overtime (as we either get it as time off in lieu or normal pay, boss gets to decide).

Goodbye, 8 hours of my 34 hour overtime! Should have seen that coming.
If it wasn't specifically said to you in advance (and in writing) that it was going to be coming out of your overtime budget I'd be pushing your HR/payroll department about that, especially considering the other stuff you've posted about that guy. Sounds pretty dodgy to me.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Thanks Ants posted:

Why would someone wait until 4:30 to send in a grumpy email about something being broken "all day"? Why didn't you say anything when you first noticed?
If they tell you when they first work out it's broken then you might fix it and then there'll be no excuse to slack off all day and blame someone else.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Caconym posted:

I'm holding on to my 8(?) year old elitebook for dear life. It has an i7, SSD, 16 GB RAM and just works, and coworkers new latitude 5320s seem to have a very high dud rate, some are on their 3rd in a year (and they're i5s).
But now I see they've got 5520s available, so at least I won't have to actually downgrade when this one dies.
We've had absolutely awful failure rates on the 7390/7300 and 5400/5410 Latitudes that we've gotten over the last 3 years. Just constant swollen batteries, SSD failures, Thunderbolt ports breaking and requiring motherboard replacements. I hate to think how much it's cost Dell to replace all that stuff under warranty.

I'm enjoying my new MacBook Pro, at least.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Yeah, two months is about the standard for laptops from all of our vendors at the moment. Desktops without discrete GPUs are a bit better, desktops with GPUs may as well not exist.

Outside of standard computers Surfaces are 3+ months stretching out to infinity, docks for both laptops and surfaces are looking June at the earliest. Quite a few of our suppliers have run out of the wireless mice/keyboards we often use and have no ETA on a restock.

Everything is a giant mess right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

teethgrinder posted:

Well thank you. Had no idea. Our vendor and Mosyle support said it was impossible to staff. Was my first time looking at it.
If you want to reset it back to factory defaults with the currently installed OS and you have admin credentials you can also use the 'Erase all Content and Settings' option in System Settings which works basically the same as iOS and only takes a few minutes. Apple Silicon Macs keep the boot OS on a separate read-only partition to where the data is stored so all the process does is gets rid of the data partition and trash the encryption keys which effectively resets it to the Out of Box experience.