Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Most small businesses could get away with a couple of Meraki PoE switches, APs and a gateway, something not totally poo poo to store files on, a VPN link into Azure/AWS to run domain controllers on and spend the money they didn't spend buying servers on an internet connection.

Unfortunately a shitbox server with no redundancy running Windows Server Essentials is £600 so there will be a lot of people cleaning up after someone who 'knew something about computers' for a long time to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ahahaha, that's the most transparent 'gently caress you' I've ever seen. Unless you're HR I guess in which case you can't see a problem.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sounds like it's YOTJ time then if possible. These sorts of organisations don't deserve to have people with ambition and talent working for them.

Is there a reason why IT budgets always get hammered, or are there a bunch of janitors on a forum somewhere complaining that their employer won't give them new mops and it's just a thing that happens in bad companies?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It does seem like there are a growing number of companies that 'get it' though when it comes to running IT. These also seem to be the places that subscribe to the idea that not making your offices a horrible place to be means your staff are happier and get more done.

I think it's also safe to say that the companies that don't understand it by now are never going to.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That does make sense actually. Maybe my perception is a bit warped since the ones doing it right tend to shout about it, whereas nobody really wants to publicise the alternative.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

McGlockenshire posted:

While fixing the clock on our our ancient PBX, I discovered that every phone in the building is actually able to set the time.

And I don't know how to fix it.

:stonklol:

It's a PBX so the menu system is probably more secure than a password.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All I know about old PBXs is that a guy I worked with who dealt with the Avaya stuff we had used to drink heavily.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nitrogen posted:

Can someone explain to me why people that infect their orgs with cryptolocker aren't immediately fired?

Hearing so many stories about how companies are getting multiple infections (sometimes from the same person) and I hear people spending so much energy on preventing infections instead of terminating employees who are too stupid to follow some simple security rules? I guarantee if people started getting canned over stupidity that is required to infect with cryptolocker, it'd probably do wonders.

Being bad at computers is still a completely reasonable excuse in all bad organisations, and there are a lot of bad organisations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There seems to be a growing number of vendors coming out with their "cloud" solutions for file storage and proclaiming the death of the file server/NAS/whatever. I don't understand who they are aiming this at, a business with a fat internet connection but not enough money for a NetApp?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It appears that everywhere you look the tech. press are trying to stretch the definition of the word "hack". The latest one I've seen is describing writing some Python to host a website, send emails and interface with other devices on the networking using manufacturer supported APIs as "Raspberry Pi hacking". What the gently caress, no it isn't.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

In a previous job I used to quite regularly get spoken to by my boss because people would send in complaints either to him or via someone higher up because I wasn't able to assist them with doing something in Excel or Photoshop or whatever, and instead suggested that they look at the help file or have a look on Google (I took the time to explain that I could help them if the app wasn't loading or was crashing). Apparently I was supposed to work out how to do what they want and then write this down as a step-by-step entry in our FAQ system. The guy was totally unaware of the entire concept of "scope of support", and refused my requests to go on various Adobe training courses to pick up the skills necessary to be able to teach them.

The organisation loved him because he'd take on extra roles and responsibilities on behalf of his department without asking for any increase in budgets or head count, and would always try to mash some old poo poo together to do a bad job at solving an issue as opposed to doing anything properly.

And those are reasons for it being a previous job.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yup, somehow stuff knows when it's being chucked out. Whether it's deracking an old UPS only to have any sort of way of carrying it break off, or throwing some old servers into a skip and getting your hand caught on a rail that's decided at that moment to slide out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a reason to use FoIP when email gateways are a thing that aren't poo poo and are dirt cheap?

Edit: The place I worked at last had a multifunction fax printer thing connected to a Cisco ATA and nothing set on it specially for fax / data. 6 minutes per page and it looked like trash.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

Another grammar/spelling rant:

"CPU's" is pissing me off.

The PM from my last post about CPU core counts is still trying to figure out why two CPUs with eight cores each is "better" than four single core CPUs, and that a VM provisioned with one CPU with four cores is essentially the same as two CPUs with two cores each or four single core CPUs.

All of this talk is bringing "CPU's" to the forefront of my plate of shrimp syndrome and now I am noticing that poo poo everywhere.

The CPU doesn't have possession of anything. gently caress you.

Does it actually matter if you give a VM cores by adding cores to a socket or adding single core sockets? I'm assuming it's mainly to allow people to be flexible with software running on the guests which is licensed per socket, and then some edge cases where it's marginally faster with certain workloads?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And while you're copying and pasting poo poo into Outlook go and find that setting that removes the formatting from everything you paste.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

TWBalls posted:

The techs that have been here a number of years have worked hard to get these idiots to go through the proper channels of opening tickets and paging the on-call tech when it's an emergency and in less than a year, this moron has flushed all that work down the drain.

I dunno, I'd say whoever decided to call someone directly instead of using the official channels and then got pissy when their request wasn't logged has flushed it down the drain.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That changes things, if the guy was called out of the blue by someone who managed to get hold of his number then I can understand why you wouldn't want to spend any more of your day off calling it back in to the helpdesk.

If he's been handing out the personal number to try to suck up to people then gently caress him.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do they not have a provision for an external GPS antenna hidden under a plastic cap or something?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm more surprised there's a beach theme in what is supposed to be an ~enterprise~ application.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They've probably used it once before in a previous job a decade ago and it got them their very own 'custom program' for cheap (because the intern did it).

They haven't had to deal with the fallout, and as far as they are aware it's a way to make custom software. And custom software will always be better than off-the-shelf because it exactly mimics the current workflow, regardless of whether that workflow is in any way efficient.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dick Trauma posted:

The contractors upgrading the floor for our new HQ hacked out at least half of the Ethernet cabling!

:negative:

EDIT: Goddammit!

What the gently caress is it with contractors and just chopping through anything that looks a bit in their way. On what planet is it acceptable to cut through stuff without asking whoever's booked you to do a job?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do the flooring guys know the cabling guys? You could end up with the cabling people coming back in and ripping the floor out, then the flooring guys come in etc.

We don't seem to have anywhere near the amount of wars between trades that I've heard you guys suffering from.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A host based printer on a network.

I feel so sorry for you now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Doesn't it still rely on the server doing the work?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Consumer plasmas for static content :gonk:

Been there done that etc., but it's not like it would have ever gone any differently with your boss the way he is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:toot:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lots of frustration and jobs taking needlessly longer than they should has taught me that test equipment says Fluke on it, and anything else can go in the bin.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

To be fair that search up / down is completely pointless and it's caught me out before. It should at least default to searching the whole document.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It would be nicer to not have to work around lazy design. Just make all the ports USB3 and charge a few dollars more for the computer. Nobody should have to think what version a USB port is before plugging something into it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is your internet connection something that cares about the MAC address of the kit it's plugged in to? Might need to reboot some ISP kit or get them to clear out any reservations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Obviously the correct response to making a configuration change at 1PM that visibly and immediately fucks things up is to put off rolling it back until 4:30 and then decide it's time to go home and leave it until Monday.

I mean, that's definitely the most logical way to deal with a problem like that. There are no alternatives.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

None of those are reasons to pick their product over another.

I get very suspicious when companies start talking in terms of "we're still here guys, we used to be awesome!". Just show us what the product does.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Experience has told me that anyone who references their position in the Gartner Quadrant has a terrible product.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Eaton 9130 range is very well priced, and as far as I know it's a true double conversion unit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think you could pay me enough to repair that mess. Rip it out, start again.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Firmware coming out next year will let you have it on a different subnet to your Wi-Fi clients (iPads etc), so you can keep using the internet while on the ClickShare. Will involve certain things in DNS a bit like how you point Windows clients at KMS, and obviously some routing between the subnets.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's not going to cause legal problems then you can put together a form in Google Drive that will populate a spreadsheet for you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GoatShaver posted:

Not entirely sure i'm in the right thread for this, but it involves some bitching so...

Sounds like we're switching SANs from Pillar/Oracle, mainly because Pillar was awesome and Oracle can go stand on the side of the building while I drop the SAN off of it, and onto some executives heads. They're not fun, or useful, or anything of the sort.

We're looking at Netapp and EMC (which seems kinda obvious, bigger names) and i'm curious who has experience, gripes, concerns, etc with any of these brands and how you generally feel about them.

You want this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2943669

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Isn't the charge for deleting it early, not just restoring it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have about 100GB of business-critical stuff copied to Glacier as the final resting place after it's already been copied to storage in another building. If I need the files back then I don't mind waiting for it.

If you really really need the stuff back instantly can't you move it to S3 and pull it back at S3 rates?