Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Gave a guy a ThinkPad Carbon X1 yesterday. Got a voicemail today, "I didn't think I was going to have to plug this in..."

Seriously?

Poor guy. I bought one for my daughter and it loving sucks. He should probably just not plug it in and order something else :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

anthonypants posted:

On Monday, some third-party tech showed up at one of our locations to reclaim some equipment. It was left on a table in our server closet. Also on this table was at least one of switches. The tech verified that the serial numbers on a switch didn't match his reclamation list, and then proceeded to unplug it and box it up.

Four days later, it is still sitting in a box in or around the server closet. Solarwinds is upset, but since we still have one of our switches up, management doesn't feel the need to act. It's about 100 miles away but we could totally walk one of the guys over there into plugging poo poo in. We also didn't yell at the third-party company to plug our poo poo back in and haven't heard from them.

Why haven't you called the police? If I am reading this right, someone entered your place of business and stole equipment.

Wasn't reading it right I think. He boxed up the switch but didn't take it.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
The x-1 carbon is the laptop that sealed the fact that I will probably not buy another Lenovo product again.

I have heard the HP business line is maybe something I should look at... Only thing that I am worried about is trying out warranty repairs. Lenovo has slipped recently but still they send me a box next day air and pay for shipping both ways. I only have to send items back in for the same problem 60% of the time.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I always feel bad for the one person who's order gets forgotten when you order lunch from somewhere like a chinese place, and then the receptionist has to run out and get them Subway :(

This is why you order parity dishes so even if one meal is lost, you can still create a full dish for the person.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Kind of reminds me of when our helpdesk guys removed a virus from someone's computer and they reinfected it by visiting the same Indian movie site the original infection was from while walking away from the helpdesk. Total time for reinfection was less than a minute.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Chalets the Baka posted:

Why would you get irritated at something that literally has no bearing on you?

I would posit that people like that have a big bearing on you if you have to work with them at all or if their work can affect yours. People who stay in one position too long stagnate and their bad habits seem to amplify and additionally rub off on new hires because they often look towards the people that have been there a long time for guidance.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I quit. Not a good day.

What happened?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
It is annoying when you get put on a project to design a system and then support staff want to ignore anything about it as if you should be the one who supports it after implementation.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

My second boss just got promoted to Director. :shepicide:

Congrats on getting another job. Strange that you are already tense about this one though. Usually there is a grace period where everything is great.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Just quit my job. I feel so loving great (months notice :( ). I never really posted much about it because I was worried that someone might read it. I am going to go to school full time and then get my PhD.

Essentially what has been killing me about this place is that I used to work the helpdesk and found myself as the backup for them when I switched to a more sys admin/engineer role. The helpdesk manager doesn't answer the phones or work the window and since we all share a line and my office is right next to the window if the helpdesk guys are busy it falls to me. I asked for clarification in a meeting today and was told that this is the way it is and is expected of me. I couldn't stomach it. We don't have meetings anymore as a group and it is more and more dysfunctional. The helpdesk manager refuses to learn new technologies and so I am also the subject matter expert for everything in the office. It drives me nuts. Anyway it is like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I gave my notice at my job a while back and they decided to hire two positions in replacement. One for the helpdesk and one to do the stuff that I was doing (systems engineer/admin with some SQL DBA poo poo). I have been sitting here listening to the helpdesk manager discuss a candidate and saying things like:

"well he is pretty old so we are probably just interviewing him to be nice"
"Well he seems to have normal interests"
"He live pretty far away"

Not once did he say anything about the dude's technical acumen. Additionally for some reason the helpdesk guys are pivotal in choosing the replacement rather than the manager.

I am 100% aware that the age thing is totally totally hosed up but have no idea if there is something easily done. As am amusing note the helpdesk manager is around 50 himself and the guy is maybe 2 years older? I remember that once a coworker suggested a guy in a wheelchair and the same helpdesk manager said to me in private about how the coworker is crazy and we could never hire someone in a wheelchair. Granted he probably couldn't physically do the job but talk about a hosed up thing to say.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Sickening posted:

I personally dq'd candidates for having a really long commute and I didn't really think much about it. Our workplace also isn't in an area that is hard to live close to though.

People that live a reasonable distance from their job are probably more likely to enjoy their job more and stay longer. They are probably late less often or at least don't have to try to be super early all the time so they don't have to be late if there is a traffic jam. Kind of a win/win for both parties.

Yeah the commute thing on its own doesn't bother me it is just that they literally do not care about the dude's technical acumen. I know for a fact that good candidates have been passed over because one of the helpdesk dudes felt threatened by his knowledge set. This office is weird because the helpdesk manager and one of the HD dudes are completely ignorant and do not keep up with technology at all really and then the other HD dude won't be here longer than a year more because he does. On the systems side there are two of us and it is a constant battle of one group doing things the right way and them doing it the wrong way. I actually quit because I got sick of the helpdesk manager not being a backup to the helpdesk if they needed an extra hand or anything. It seems nuts to me. Oh well I don't want to turn this into a complete bitchfest about this place since I am out of here soon anyway.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Both age and disability discrimination are very, very illegal and you just gave two textbook examples of them. Any sane company would want you to report all of this to HR immediately, because if what you're describing became apparent to the candidate they will sue and win.

This stuff is like day 1 of management training, so I'm guessing your managers are woefully unqualified to be hiring anyone. That would be a huge red flag for me to GTFO of that environment before the poo poo hits the fan. And it will hit the fan.

edit: also for schadenfreude purposes please tell us what company this is after you leave!

Yeah I think I might do this in re the age thing. Not going to about the dude in the wheelchair as this is probably 8 years ago at this point.

I am not willing to say the name of the company but nobody would know them anyway (maybe 120 total employees and no huge presence outside a tiny tiny specific part of education). The only consulting we do is a tiny tiny piece of what the company is today and it still is a very niche product.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
This doesn't piss me off but not sure where it should go but I find it loving hilarious. I am leaving my position and one of the things I did while here was setup a VMware environment. It has worked super well with 0 problems. I came in this morning (this is my last week) and found out they are migrating everything OFF OF IT.

Helpdesk manager guy is worried that nobody will be able to do anything if it goes down. I understand his concern except it is crazy to me that the solution to the problem is not to loving learn the technology for an infrastructure they spent 100k on instead they will just bring it down.

What a bunch of regressive dudes.

EDIT: The environment is 3 big big hosts and two SANs in replication. It is a nice environment but oh well.

EDIT2: There is a file server that is virtualized and its store is just a separate volume on the SAN. Instead of just connecting to that from the non VM file server, the help desk manager is manually transferring and configuring the shares. I am not going to chime in because it is kind of hosed up that they didn't even ask the best way to do it.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 17, 2015

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

So, you did your job correctly, and just because they don't understand it, they're pulling it apart, wasting even more time and money?

Well, that sure is something.

Yeah it seems so loving regressive and ignorant.

I will probably write up some cathartic vent post about this place when I leave. Best job I have ever had but also in a lot of ways one of the most crazy dysfunctional places too.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

poo poo son if they don't want it I'll take it for the home lab, jesus.

Nah it will sit and collect dust next to the database server that is to replace the current one and the database server that is to replace the database server that is to replace the current one. I think the newest one is an 8 xeon 8 core 512gb of ram monstrosity. It is currently powered off to "save it" as if it is a battery. All of our backup servers aside from a few cases sit powered off. Why should we know if there is an issue with them in advance of needing them??? who knows!

EDIT: Funny thing about the VMware environment. I was asked to draw up documentation for it. I did. I was then told that I should redo it so that if a child had to setup the environment they could do it from scratch so I essentially made a step by step document with screenshots on how to set the environment up exactly as I have it. This includes every setting for the SANs and VMware as well as creating the Systems Insight Manager VM and all of its settings and the . It is like people checked out completely because of the word "virtualization".

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 17, 2015

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

NeuralSpark posted:

gently caress everything about this.

In my consulting gigs, I had so many customers that wanted me to to do this. They would then get pissed when I told them I would write documentation that a qualified professional could understand, not write a book teaching them how to Computer.

I agree 100% but couldn't tell my boss to gently caress off and also I was super super invested in getting virtualization into this environment. End result was that I had 0 training in VMware and now feel very comfortable with it. I am not working in IT anymore (going to school for CS but hoping to do a PhD and then research) so it doesn't matter but still it was nice to be able to take time to setup an environment and learn poo poo.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
So the dude that decided that we no longer need a VM environment after I leave started migrating shares in the middle of the day and hosed things up for a bunch of people.

Then today he decided to do windows updates on our loving Citrix Gateway server that is used for our main clinical application during the middle of the day. Cue 25 minutes of unannounced downtime. The IT director called up and kept saying "seriously?" to me after I told him what was going on. I am not usually the type to make jokes about poo poo like that :shrug: Whatever it takes to not have to do offhours maintenance I guess.

I am surprised the IT director received the emails because I know for a fact that he was removed from a bunch because the help desk manager didn't want to keep getting called if he was working on a server. lol.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 19, 2015

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
An important thing to note as well is that just because machines are on a segmented vlan doesn't mean someone can't attack them with a hardware method to get data out. Attaching a 3g/4g/wifi dongle to a compromised system can still get data out/in.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

m.hache posted:

Thing currently pissing me off:

Firefox installs. Apparently the actual .exe install is just a 7zip unpackage, and since I have 7zip files blocked my users can't install it.

I had to travel back to my office to use PDQ Deploy to silently push it to his desktop instead of just taking care of it on the spot.

remote desktop into your office machine?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Wait does he get paid to be a booth guy or is he doing that for fun or?

I am really loving confused by this thread now.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I always figured it would be better to tell people you are a garbageman because they probably won't ask you to take out the trash.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Are you guys playing around about not knowing what ICO is? Like has irony bled out of GBS into SH/SC? It is a common way of asking for clarification on a line item and is shorthand for I can't Onderstand.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Mierdaan posted:

Not pissing me off: helpdesk guys who just don't give a gently caress:

:hellyeah:

at my old place we would have quoted a new drop and sent them the paperwork.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

A3th3r posted:

tell me about it.. i tried to hire a gfx designer and she rejected me because i wasn't offering her enough money.. I dunno, new grads, you want jobs or not????????

A3th3r posted:

Hiring people blows.. Can't afford to hire anyone expensive & good, but the ppl i can afford are not smart ones at all. Made an offer to a kid the other day & haven't heard from him since.. SIGH

Enjoying watching this.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Not to mention why the gently caress would a bank sysadmin execute a command on their servers before they understood it fully rather than just copy and pasting it and hitting enter.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

guppy posted:

The Register posted an opinion piece that I think we can all identify with.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/09/why_i_quit_it_sysadmin_overloads

The best thing I ever did was quit my job. I will never work in "IT" ever again. I am going to school for math/CS and will probably do a PhD and then I will be freeeeeeeeeeee.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Che Delilas posted:

Hope you don't need student loans.

I don't :)

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I haven't done the whole fix my computer thing in a long time so just a quick question. Is there a go to boot environment for offline repair poo poo? I got an offer that I couldn't refuse to fix a logon issue on a computer and I pretty much just need something that I can boot into and offline edit the registry. No idea if it is an XP machine or not so don't want to rely on win7/8 recovery environment.

Is Hiren's still the best thing? I figure I should bring whatever is best in case it isn't just a quick thing like I think it is.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

mewse posted:

You could use this utility to activate and blank the password for the Administrator account and then login to the computer as local admin to fix whatever the problem is.

Oh yeah I am bringing a copy of that. I just don't know if it is going to be something wrong with all the user accounts (logs in and then immediately goes back to login screen). Usually when I have seen this in the past it is a quick registry fix on one profile but don't want to go and have to leave or something or spend time burning discs since they are paying me a lot of money (200/hr lol).

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Sickening posted:

Ugh, I just saw a lawsuit settlement in my company's future. A customer service rep was just fired a day after putting in her FMLA paperwork to schedule paternity leave while being 8 months pregnant. No write ups, no discipline of any kind after 4 years. She also happens to be a minority.

Even if she did something stupid it would seem like only an idiot would fire her now and not wait until after her leave. I bet the settlement is going to eat a chunk of my 2017 expansion budget!!!

Lots of people get screwed like this and don't sue.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
At the place I last worked, we had winkwinknudgenudge permission to brick any wireless routers plugged into our network. We did this all the time it was great. Essentially plugging in a wireless router would bypass 802.1x authentication that existed for wireless access and also allow the wireless devices to be on a more trusted subnet. This was a huge no-no given the nature of the business.

If anyone complained they could be fired/disciplined so nobody ever complained. Mostly it was people who worked in research laboratories who would gently caress around.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

wolrah posted:

Eaglesoft is the other pain in the rear end at that site (that old DailyWTF "Beaglesoft" entry still applies as far as version 15), but in this case it's Romexis that's causing the fun.

I actually wish Eaglesoft used a standard database like SQL Server, even if it was SQL Express, because at least that would be better documented than the Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere backend it runs on.

It's wonderful when we have a 7GB database but the Sybase revision they use is so old there's no 64 bit version. Combine that with their horribly inefficient use of the database and we've ended up brute forcing the performance by using a third party tool to cache the entire database in RAM. Even Eaglesoft 17 which we'll be upgrading to soon still uses a 32 bit only database. 18 is apparently in beta now and I can't get a response about whether that's changed, nor whether Windows 10 will be supported.

Hooray specialty market software.

So get a viewer for your eaglesoft database and look at the users table :) Plain text as far as the eye can see. Also the hardcoded SA password that is used on all installations (at least used to be) is pretty great too! I brought up these issues to them in the past and was told that it should be addressed through network and OS security and that the database is secure otherwise! I am pretty sure that anyone can view the DB with the viewer as well as there is read access to everyone (I might be remembering this wrong). I worked at a dental school for a long time so I had my fill of "enterprise" dental software.

They also told us that in order to do a DB backup everyone must be out of the system. Luckily databases don't grow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I am still confused as to how you can be the vice president of something and not have a single employee under you.

EDIT: I just never heard of such a thing. Is this not (very) uncommon?