Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

From a lot of these posts it sounds like there are many of us here who are in Healthcare IT. I've been in the field for almost 5 years now and just started a new position at a pretty large organization that supports 40+ hospitals, most of them in the southeast, with 15k+ users. Lucky for me I'm on a pretty specialized team that deals many with enterprise support so I don't actually have to deal with people in the hospitals. I have a friend who works on our help desk and the calls he tells me about are enough to make me want to put a bullet in my head, I don't know how he does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

TWBalls posted:

Well, today was rather interesting. I was already exhausted due to working multiple 10+hr shifts this week (plus my daily workouts). Then, he showed up. Right away, I knew it was going to be a long day. This tech from Nuance... Every time he shows up for something, poo poo goes awry and what should only take a couple of hours ends up taking a couple of days. I just now got home and he's still working on getting the PowerScribe system. The poor Radiology Director said he'd keep an eye on him (Rad. Dir. has already been there 18hrs).

I came home to find my drives (The bottleopener drives) had arrived. :woop: So, at least there's that.

Now to stuff my face with some In-n-Out burger and go to bed.

gently caress Nuance and gently caress Powerscribe. When I was doing PASC admin crap for 9 imaging centers powerscribe was a very large amount of my tickets. I've heard the newest version is a major upgrade over the previous versions but never got to see it implemented.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

anthonypants posted:

I applied to a job that I think I would like, and it's really close to my apartment, and it pays really well. Then I got this e-mail:

You're going to be driving around a lot fixing poo poo computers for $10/hr.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Someone mentioned a hospital-person tracking system that tracked exactly where all patients/doctors/nurses were at all times a while ago either in here or in the ticket came in thread. Does anyone know what this thing is called/who makes it?

We use AeroScout. http://www.aeroscout.com/.

Which I guess is now owned by Stanley. http://www.stanleyhealthcare.com/

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Man I love my bosses PTO policy. Here's how I took last Wednesday off. On Tuesday, "Hey boss, I'm gonna take tomorrow off, it's in my calendar and I've got no meetings or work due, see ya Thursday!" His response, "Alright, no problem!"

I've got 2 weeks already scheduled out in October for a vacation and he's even offered to let me make up extra time so I don't have to use all my PTO up for the trip.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

dogstile posted:

Wig needs something to attach to. Its a ponytail sort of thing so I was going to weave it into my hair. Like I said, my hair isn't that long, I could just about comfortably weave that into my hair where I was going to weave it.

Regardless, I just asked him directly about he mentioned it (as he went through a manager before) and he said "its in your contract and it looks dirty". I clean my hair every night, so I don't know what the hell his problem is, especially as its definitely not in the contract, as I just read it. All it says is to wear professional clothes and look presentable, so it really depends on each persons definition of it. :shrug:

E: Oh gently caress it, I have a backbone, i'll let you all know how the argument goes.

I think we need a picture to completely judge how dirty your hair looks.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

We are the corporate part of our hospital system and our dress code is, director level or below, tie/dress shirt/dress pants/dress shoes, director or above has to add a jacket. The only time we see clients/customers is the off chance we go to one our of hospitals for a site visit or meeting. I can't think of any reason one of the help desk guys would ever need to get under a desk as we are all laptops and all of our power/network ports are at desk level. Also, our server room/data center is crystal clean(our building is only 3 years old) so even if the server guys have to rack new servers, it's in an almost clean room like environment. Going from jeans/tshirts everyday at my last job to this kinda sucked at first, but for what they are paying me I won't complain. Plus I've got some kicken rad dress socks and ties!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

Surprised the bow-tie and/or ascot hipsters haven't snuck out of the woodwork yet.

We have one guy who wears a bow-tie here and he can def pull it off, it's not for everyone though!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

internet jerk posted:

I dress nicely to work purely to NOT look like I work in IT. It also makes me feel pretty.

Is he black? He's probably black, right?

No, he's a short chubby white guy, but has the personality to pull it off. The few black guys who do work here, now that I think about it there are like 10 maybe, in a company of 500, all dress pretty nicely.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Spazz posted:

I forget what it's like to have a dress code at work. The past few jobs have been very relaxed -- I'm sitting here in jeans, sneakers, and a band tee. I don't know if I'd apply anywhere that had a serious dress code. Yeah, climbing under desks and rewiring closets in a suit and tie sucks, but know what sucks more? Having to wear a suit and tie in hot weather every loving day of the summer.

Does your office not have air conditioning? The only time I'm outside in my shirt/tie is the walk from the parking garage into my office which takes all of 2 minutes. And really, no one in this building, which is all IT related are climbing under desks or rewiring closets.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Spazz posted:

I've read a few of them, and if you take it with a grain of salt I think a lot of people would really benefit from reading some of it.

AC during the summer and the building is kept pretty cool during the winter (preferable). I just don't like wearing a suit jacket in 95 degree weather, which is what we're experiencing in Philadelphia right now.

I worked for a financial company on a contract and the attire called for a tie and jacket when on site at HQ. The contract? Swapping every PC in the entire company. I've become conditioned against formal attire for work after ruining several nice pairs of clothes.

Ah ok, ya that would suck. I just sit at my desk all day so I guess it doesn't bother me. I also don't have to wear a jacket either.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

fromoutofnowhere posted:

So my car dies last night, I shoot an email to the office stating what's going on and that I'm going to be late getting in and that I'm calling in "sick" for it. I get to the dealership after spending 80+ getting it towed there, and then spend close to three loving hours waiting for them to work on it. When they do finally replace the battery the tech and I can't figure out why the gently caress it won't start still. Twenty minutes later, I twist the steering wheel to the left till it locks, depress the brake, hit the start button, and the god drat thing starts up like a champ. gently caress. Pay the dealership, head home, leave a nasty note on their google review page, get cleaned up from sweating like a dog under the sun and head to work. I get to over hear a manager who's part of a merger and being integrated into our team bitch and moan about me using "sick" time to cover an emergency. rear end in a top hat has people working for him that say that he's used "sick" time to stay home and play video games. To be somewhat fair, he's left his computer unlocked multiple times, and the fourth time I found it I sent a "Give me your manmeats" email to the other managers and locked it. So I understand why he has a beef with me, but if he can't drop it I can tell my life is going to get interesting. Still loving pisses me off though.

And I'm over it. Thanks thread.

Last job at a big healthcare company someone did the send email from persons unlocked machine. The next day a corporate letter came out saying that doing that is now an immediate termination for the person who sends the email! I think we had like a 5 minute auto lock GPO.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Chalets the Baka posted:

I loving hate working in IT. I am sick of certifications and acronyms and constant meetings and office libertarians and micromanaging CTOs. I need a new career.

I'm not quite there yet, the only other careers I would consider are things I enjoy outside of work, and then I don't want to start to hate those things to if they become my job!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Speaking of signatures this gem just came in.

As an "IT Manager" it is necessary to put the logos for all your certs in your signature??

His signature is longer than the emails we are sending to each other and even his replies to my emails have his signature in them.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

SEKCobra posted:

Should at least have put them side-by-side.

I don't really see any need to have them in a signature at all. Especially the A+ and MCP ones.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

1000101 posted:

They all look like entry level certifications to me. I wouldn't bother putting any of them in a sig.

They are. MCP is if you pass any one MS exam. A+ and Net+ are entry level and I don't know about those VMWare certs but they don't sound like anything special

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Our Christmas party is a catered breakfast at the Swan and Dolphin resort out at Disney and as part of our Christmas bonus we get free passes to any Disney park we want, but we have to goto the breakfast to get them. Not too bad, cept there will be no bacon for breakfast because our company is owned by 7th Day Adventists. Can't imagine it's cheap either when you consider disney passes are a $100 a person, we have close to 700 employees at our corporate location and you get a pass for your significant other and any children you have. One guy on my team is gonna wind up with like 5 free disney passes.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

Reading this thread makes me terrified I'm going to graduate uni with decent marks and a handful of certifications and practical lab experience, and then end up asking people on the phone if their monitor is on.

I think if those are my prospects after graduating I'm going to become a Tibetan monk.

Well I mean, what did you expect? Everyone in this thread has most likely started at the bottom and worked their way up. I fully believe everyone in IT should do time on help desk to learn some people skills before moving into higher positions.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I too am a Matt in IT. Is there a support group? A monthly newsletter I should be subscribed to?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ChickenWing posted:

I mean come on, it's 2015 how do you not know basic computing?

My wife's brother, who is 22 and fresh out of the army, wants to "do computers" for his job/career. We were talking the other day about something and he asked me what does it mean that a computer has 1TB of harddrive space and 8GB of memory, what's the difference between them?

I do not see a very long career "doing computers" for him.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Everyone has to start somewhere. A good friend of mine is very similar to your BIL and he's on the path to Information Security, and the growth in knowledge hes made in such a short period of time is pretty incredible.

I guess it just blows my mind that someone that is wanting to make his career in computing doesn't know something that seems like such a basic fact, especially someone who has most likely grown up using computers throughout school his entire life.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

We uh somehow neglected to pay our support contract renewal for our ambulatory EMR vendor and are now apparently 45 days past due! We can't access product releases nor can we enter tickets. I think the vendor is mad that we, as their biggest client in the US, are dropping them next year for a competing product. This is while I'm in the middle of doing a major version upgrade on that system and am in the process of testing it. Good times!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pissing me off: Getting up at 6 AM in a cold house to get ready for work, giving myself an extra ten minutes over Google's estimated travel time, and still being late. I really hate this hour long commute. I like the work, but it's only the end of my first week and I'm already considering looking for something closer to home. The only reason I hesitate is that I'm making 30% more than my previous highest paying job. Less per hour once you consider it as a 10 hour day, but I need the money.

I took a like, 2% pay cut to go from a 1 hour commute to a 5 minute commute and holy poo poo is life so much better!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

diremonk posted:

I work in the county-run government tv station. It's a semi laid back job compared to being at one of the commercial stations I've worked at in the past. But sometimes it is a bit too laid back.

We started streaming our various meetings on YouTube last year. Everyone is happy, the video looks great compared to our other streaming service which is a heaping pile of crap that only runs in IE. But I start seeing that YouTube is flagging most of our meetings as having copyrighted content. I do some digging and it is the end music we use for the end of meeting credits. Still not sure why we need almost two minutes to run credits after every meeting, but I really don't care.

I ask my coworkers about the music and they say we have a license for it. At the time I was satisfied and didn't think about it for a couple months. Back in August I start to get worried about it again. I ask them where the license paperwork is for that track. Turns out we don't have a license, the guy who set the station up in the first place just grabbed whatever music he felt like and used it with no regard to licenses or rights.

So now I'm very worried about this because pissing off music license holders is a very bad thing. I find out who owns the license and give them a call to see about getting legal. They quote me a price for using the track in a internet stream of $150 per show which is the discounted rate for non-profits and government agencies. For the airing of the show on our station it is $400 per show per airing. So just one days worth of shows is going to cost the county $1100 bucks and about $5-6k each week. ]

I tell them thanks for the info and go tell my coworkers that we need to stop using that music right now. The response is "well how are they gonna know, "we like the music as is," and "we don't have the time to find new music." We already pay a blanket license fee for two other libraries that is renewed on a yearly basis, but they can't take a half hour to find something that we are license for so that a major poo poo storm doesn't come down on us. How big a storm, they have been using this music for at least ten years if not 15 or more with no license. The cost per year is around $400k just to use that one track times 10 year plus possible punative costs for doing this.... It's not good and the county lawyers would have a heart attack if they knew this was going on.

But no one seems to care other than me. I've told my direct boss about this and my department head and I got no response other than "that isn't good." I've brought it up during staff meetings and not a dam thing has been done. I'm half tempted to delete the sound file from the server and force the hand of everyone but I'm going to give them one more chance next week to pull their heads out of their asses before I do it.

Sorry just had to vent about this bullshit.

Start putting your words into emails if you haven't already. When big storm comes no one is going to believe you that you mentioned it was coming.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I thought there was literally a China Export that copied the real CE marking nearly exactly, but was a few pixels off, made to specifically mislead people. That would lead to the China Export label being on things that CE wouldn't need to be on.

You are correct!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Here's a question.

So at my job (which I'm 100% happy with) a couple guys quit. They interviewed for months, and took way over their vacation time. We receive your years' work of days on the day you started and they refreshed on your anniversary. For these guys, though, they took their entire year and then started dipping in to the next year. They each took more than a couple extra weeks.

Eventually they quit, and then they asked to have their remaining days paid out, but the office manager showed them (rightly so) that they were negative two weeks. She said that they'll likely dock their final paycheck the two weeks. They flipped out and threw a huge fit. In the end, that didn't happen, I think the office manager was just talking above her pay grade (which she is sort of known to do) and then when the payroll/finance guys got to it they just ignored her.

That raises a question, is that situation legal to do and is it common?

When I was salary and took 2 weeks off work but only had like 1 1/2 weeks of PDO, my next paycheck was short the remaining hours.

I'm hourly now and I imagine if I took 2 weeks off but only had 1 1/2 weeks of PDO, I just wouldn't get paid for those missing hours nor would they deduct any extra.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Super Slash posted:

Here's the age old question which no doubt gets asked every now and then;

Who's responsibility is it to maintain printer toner stock? (discounting things like managed print services)

We use a company called Print Adminstrate here at the hospital to manage that. We in IT install the printers then slap a label with PA's number on it and tell the users to call them if there are issues.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Today two separate people have spelled my name incorrectly in email replies where my name is part of my signature. It's a common name, and uses the common spelling. There's a variant that people think is common, but in my entire life I've only met one person using that variant.

It pisses me off that they can't look down to spell my name correctly, and I can't graciously correct them, because no matter what it comes off as a dick move. It just hits me as a hugely disrespectful action. Almost as bad as the people on the phone who call me by my co-worker's name just because it starts with the same letter.

My firstname/lastname are very common names, infact my firstname is most of my username here, my lastname has a S on the end of it. Our entire enterprise is firstname.lastname@companyname

I have had multiple people throughout the enterprise email me and start the email saying

Hello lastname minus the S that should be there.

Why they do this I have no idea, I've corrected multiple people that lastname minus the S is neither my first name nor my last name.

I sign my emails

Thanks firstname

My signature is firstname lastname

Annoys me to no end.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

devmd01 posted:

gently caress servicenow and the team that is driving all of the ITIL bullshit I have to deal with.

I'm fine with change requests but all the other bullshit? Problem? Incident? Request? Request item? Whatever, gently caress right off.

We just recently switched to servicenow. It's such a POS lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm so sorry.

Well we switched from servicedesk so it's a slight improvement...still lovely.

It doesn't help that our users don't understand the difference between a request and an incident....and by users I mean nurses who don't give a gently caress and just want their poo poo fixed now lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Your users will never learn.

There are a lot of ways to resolve that! One is you could just have one type of ticket to be created, and the person who touches it first sets if it's an incident or a request or whatever. You can also change how people get to the form, or which options appear, to guide them to the right choice.

So much of User Experience/Design is planning for the worst user, because the worst is what you'll get.

That's the thing. The portal that users go to to enter a ticket has 2 options and could not be more clear.

Somethings Broke and I Need Something

Somethings Broke takes them to the next part of the portal where they say what is broke, machine name, application etc.

I Need Something then opens up a catalog of things one might need or they can just choose general request and put their request in there.

Obvious to you and me what type of ticket each creates, apparently not to users!

They just don't care.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"Sir we are seeing 100% packet drop, can you confirm your equipment is powered on? Yes sir you should have equipment I see the notes that this service was installed twice. Are you sure you're looking in the right place? Well then, if you can't power the equipment on I'm afraid I can't help troubleshoot this issue, please contact the warranty services department for further assistance. Their number is invisible and their hold time is roughly 2 - 39 hours."

Someone would be murdered. Just reading this makes me angry!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

We just found some USB mouse jigglers installed on some computers that doctors use here at the hospital. That's a very very VERY big no no and might result in some people losing their jobs. Good times!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MF_James posted:

You guys don't have device control?

Maybe the jigglers don't show up, I'm not sure, but I would think they have to.

We do, and these show up as normal HID Compliant mice so they are undetectable so far. There's no executable they run or anything. Very tricky things

https://www.cru-inc.com/products/wiebetech/mouse_jiggler/

These are the ones we found. High reviews on amazon for being undetectable by IT departments lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Good. Are you getting the likely insurance reimbursement? It helps to know that each gym visit is putting money back in your pocket.

I never knew this was a thing. Wow, that's a bizarre thing.

It's because doctor's working in cerner doing charting stuff on patients like to walk away from their computers and don't lock them. We have a screensaver/lock computer policy and they get annoyed when they get back to their machine that they now have to enter a password to get back into it.

They are going to be even more annoyed that they are violating multiple corporate policies and could loose their job for circumventing our security policies...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MF_James posted:

Mmmm me thinks they aren't doing REAL device control, we utilize symantec (it's poo poo yes) and it actually does a really good job, we white-list devices we purchase, every so often they have a new "version" that is the same thing but a new HID, we just add that in, everything else gets blocked and our team gets an email alert.

Let's play which one is the real mouse and which one is the fake mouse jiggler.

there are 2 fake ones here and 1 real one.

There is no way we could white list all the "approved" mice in our company. We don't have a standard mouse we give everyone and people are allowed to bring their own wireless mice. Our corporate data security team has blocked plenty of these mouse jigglers already but even they haven't seen one that doesn't load some sort of exe that's simple to block.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MF_James posted:

Device control doesn't work if you don't control devices, you need to either lock down the amount of devices you are handing out to a sane number and block everything that does not explicitly have the HIDs in your policy.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but you guys are doing device control backwards, you shouldn't be blocking offending devices you find, you should be blocking everything and allowing only specific devices.

I hear ya and I'm glad that isn't my job. We have a corporate data security team that handles that throughout our 20+ hospitals nationwide. Hopefully they can come up with something but so far they haven't.

edit: And also, that seems like something that should have been setup from the beginning. I'm afraid it's probably far to late to implement the block everything allow on request plan

mattfl fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 13, 2017

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Elizabethan Error posted:

the last one, with the power management tab

Winnar!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Elizabethan Error posted:

kinda obvious tbh, why would a mouse need several driver revisions + power management

No wait, the real one is the one with power management lol

It's a bluetooth mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MF_James posted:

It would not be easy to switch to, but not impossible, you need buy-in from higher ups (and this would be a GOOD situation to use to push that forward), you get a list of acceptable devices (1-3 keyboards, 1-3 mice, and hopefully not a lot of other required USB stuff) you give staff 2 weeks to turn in their non-compliant stuff and swap to compliant stuff and then flip the switch, if people's poo poo doesn't work, they should have read their email and done things. There will be crying and teeth gnashing, but sometimes you just gotta do poo poo that people don't like.

In an ideal world yes, this would be a great idea.

In the healthcare/hospital world with special snowflake doctors/C level executives/special snowflake systems, this just wouldn't happen.