Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Well, that's consistent with the level of work quality I've come to expect from Adobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
You can also optionally file quarterly, I believe, which would mean around now.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Lum posted:

poo poo that amuses me, but is probably pissing someone off right now:

Amuses me because of who it happened to, note the URL.

Oh dear.

I still use AVG, so I temporarily turned off program and definition updates temporarily when I saw this. Is that too paranoid, do you think?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I hate people who CC the world too, but I think I hate people who turn on read receipts for all emails even more. Nothing you do is that important, assholes. I decline to send them whenever possible.

Annoyingly, iOS automatically sends them when requested. As far as I can tell there's no way to disable that behavior, nor does it so much as tell you one was requested.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

TheQat posted:

i'd love to see read receipts get used at my current job. instead the big bosses demand that everyone reply to every email, no matter how insignificant. if you don't do this you usually get a followup email or phone call.

yes, i got the email, if i didn't get it you'd get a bounceback error you fuckwit

Fortunately, I'm leaving this place after next Tues :toot:

I don't have a problem with the feature -- used rarely, when necessary. But a whole bunch of the idiots where I work have it on by default for every single message. No, you do not need to confirm that I read your email that said "Thanks! :)"

It's a lot like the priority setting in that regard. No one sending actual high-priority messages uses it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Our limits are around 100MB unless you're a special snowflake, in which case it's 2GB, and we have a 90-day retention policy (forced by Legal, thank god, so we don't get yelled at for it) either way. Attachment limit 10MB, which isn't unreasonable but we also don't seem to know or care that sometimes our users have legitimate needs beyond that 10MB and don't currently offer a real solution. There's network shares, of course, and our needs are mostly internal to the organization, but we have sites all over and we start to run into issues when we need to share data between multiple sites or departments and they don't have access to the same places. We work around it but the network admins have to intervene on a case-by-case basis. It's bizarre to me that we've not implemented a better solution.

We officially banned .psts but the special snowflake rule has reared its head here as well and they're all over.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

hihifellow posted:

Brought my boss almost to tears when I let her know that how bad she thought my one co-worker was and how bad he really is at his job is a lot different. All this because he copped an attitude over the fact I took care of two tickets for a group he'd been badly handling, which I then took to my boss on the recommendation from a few people I showed the angry texts to (don't get pissy with your coworkers over texts, especially when people are already tired of fixing your mistakes, seriously). Now she doesn't know what to do, the guy is so bad at his job it would take a gargantuan amount of classes and training to get him merely competent (though how do you teach a basic skill like "setting up a printer on the wireless network without hand holding") and she doesn't want to fire him, as outside of a few events like this he's a nice guy who gets along with everyone, even the worst of the users, and it would pretty much wreck him financially.

This is going to get really, really ugly before it gets any better.

How bad are we talking here?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Misogynist posted:

My professional opinion is that what happened wasn't this guy's mistake, and you shouldn't treat it as though it is. You have an IT environment where patient data that you are legally liable for underneath federal law is being allowed to be saved to locations where it is not auditable and not being backed up. In what hosed-up bizarro universe does this get to be a single person's fault? You don't even seem concerned about the lack of auditing, so what other HIPAA mandates is your company completely loving up and slacking off about?

This was my exact reaction. Yeah, he should be more careful, but it's insane that you have patient data stored only a local hard drive. I don't work in healthcare but I can't imagine that isn't a HIPAA violation, and even if it isn't it's dumb as gently caress.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Sounds like someone's covering something up maybe? Buckle in, this could get interesting.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Caged posted:

Is there a reason why IT budgets always get hammered, or are there a bunch of janitors on a forum somewhere complaining that their employer won't give them new mops and it's just a thing that happens in bad companies?

What the others have said is true, but to make it more explicit: IT doesn't directly make money. It enables other groups to make money. When the sales department generates $8 jillion in revenue, and a big part of that is enabled by IT's work, it doesn't matter -- Sales is credited with making $8 jillion, whereas IT just incurred costs, on paper. This is what happens when IT doesn't have a seat at the table and no one who does understands what they do, basically.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

door.jar posted:

"pear reviewed" is great, but I'm drawing a blank on what word he was aiming for with "perinatal".

Peripheral, I think?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Most of us don't straight up lie to our customers, so there's that. I don't know what I'll do if I move away from my beloved local garage.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I called one of my users to follow up on something from earlier in the week; his secretary answered, as expected. She immediately launched into a description of her problem. If you are now confused, you know how I felt. I didn't know she had a problem, she didn't call me or ask if she could ask me a question while I was on the phone, and I had called about something completely unrelated. She began describing her hitherto-unknown problem -- that she didn't know how to use a Word feature, basically -- before I could actually tell her why I'd called.

Not really an issue, and I was able to help her, but seems awfully rude.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

hihifellow posted:

IT Munchhausens[/spoiler]

This is an amazing term. I am stealing it and I propose it for widespread adoption.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

door.jar posted:

Hey boss, it is kind of your job to call out our client's sexist employee who refuses to listen to my female colleague on technical matters she is the most qualified to deal with. I don't really appreciate having you send the problem my way so I can "put a man's answer on it". And if you do that I will ABSOLUTELY call the fucker out for it on your behalf, and I'll do it as impolitely as I think I can get away with.

This is shockingly common, unfortunately. It's disgusting but often people think it's better to cater to the retrograde whims of the client lest they lose the business.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Sprechensiesexy posted:

poo poo that's pissing me off right now: I used to work in a helpdesk. Now I moved up into a 2nd line voice operations role and my old colleagues from that helpdesk just blindly escalate any ticket my way without doing any kind of information gathering or troubleshooting themselves. And when you call them out on it they just feign ignorance "Oh I didn't know you needed that kind of info". :fuckoff: you lazy motherfuckers.

Want to trade? When I get tickets kicked over to me I'm lucky if they're in comprehensible English.

EDIT: This sounds like a dig at outsourced call centers, and it isn't. Our guys just can't construct a coherent sentence.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Edit: oh hey, new posts. This was about the LJ 1022.

That specific model's also likes to break the local print spooler, preventing printing even to other printers, so badly that the only way I've ever found to get it working again is to manually delete the files that represent the print queue. It isn't a consistent behavior, some jobs just make it poo poo itself, and if you just try to restart the print spooler service without doing that it will just break the service again.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

I have mellowed on this front regarding friends and family, since my friends and family aren't dicks who waste my time or abuse it. I am still very irritated with people at work who think nothing of asking me for free home support. (I don't do it, as a rule.) I don't even like some of these people, we aren't friends.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
This morning I got an email, one of the ones where there's no text in the body and the entire message is in the subject line. The guy wanted to know the status of his computer, which I took for diagnosis last week. I'll do quick repairs, including ordering parts, if it's something obvious, but I don't keep stuff like a multimeter on hand. So if it could be one of a few things I'll send it to our repair shop for a proper diagnosis, so I don't run the risk of ordering parts that won't solve the problem. This machine is in the shop.

It went in right before Thanksgiving. It's Tuesday. We were closed Thursday and Friday, so they've had it for less than two business days and he knows it. Have some patience, motherfucker, or at least write a more polite email if you're going to badger us about it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Che Delilas posted:

If the courses are "part of the job," as in you're required to take them to have the job, then they don't have a legal leg to stand on according to the FLSA.

Just a note, if I remember right he's said before that he's in... Korea, I think? Somewhere FLSA doesn't apply, anyway.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Caged posted:

I've left my iPhone in a ceiling space before when using it as a torch. That was a fun one to track down.

I'm aware of the European usage of the word "torch," but in an IT thread you can never be sure what the job will drive someone to.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Agrikk posted:

Hah hah hah. poo poo currently not pissing me off: Project billing.

I had a PM tell me just now that I wasn't billing enough to the project. Apparently building and deploying a set of four VMs should take me nearly 40 hours of work and since I only billed about five so far (and THAT was stretching it) I still have about a week's worth of work left to bill.

I literally have 35 hours of gently caress-off time to bill.

Guess it's time to do some Christmas shopping online or catch up on my reading through my iphone. For a week.

So your PM is ordering you to commit fraud? :waycool:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Agrikk posted:

Hah. You know, I hadn't really thought about it like that...

You... didn't think billing customers for doing nothing was fraud?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I still have a hard time believing people post, or answer, ads like that. My city is not all that expensive but that offer pays less than an experienced help desk tech.

EDIT: The ad has been pulled, I presume in response to widespread mockery.

guppy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 12, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Today just before 4:30, I was offsite trying to satisfy a secretary's mutually exclusive, constantly shifting requirements for event management. I got a worried phone call wondering if I was on my way to a 5:00pm meeting. I was not, at the time, because I was not included on the email notifying everyone that it had been rescheduled to 4:30.

I was not allowed to do anything I was there to do over the next four hours for a variety of reasons. Tomorrow I have to be in two hours early for an all-day meeting.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have never worked somewhere that awarded bonuses. My boss usually calls a team meeting at the end of the year and gives us a small gift. He's forbidden from spending over a certain amount, and frankly I'd be a little uncomfortable if he did, but I've always appreciated the thought.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Lum posted:

Gonna need some context here. I know Target are a major US chain store, I get the impression they're #2 to Walmart.

Have they gone bankrupt or something?

http://techland.time.com/2013/12/19/the-target-credit-card-breach-what-you-should-know/

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Sweevo posted:

Is it an older or not top-end model? Is there a newer model due soon? Maybe he's breaking it because he wants a better one.

Twice in a week? Before one comes out?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Misogynist posted:

code:
puts "all work and no play makes jack a dull boy"
puts "all work and no play makes jack a dull boy"

I would have serious reservations about hiring a developer who didn't write this as a loop :haw:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We get a comical amount of sick time, which is very nice. I rarely use it, but it's comforting to know it's there and I'm not depleting a scarce resource if I feel like crap.

If you're out more than a couple days, though, they want a note. Which is kind of understandable, but if I'm out because I have the flu or something, I'm not going to the drat doctor. They're going to tell me I have the flu. If I have the flu, I know that already.

Unfortunately, this change was made because, even with the hilarious amount of sick time they give us -- I personally have close to half a year's worth saved up -- some people use it all up every year anyway (because they use it as if it were vacation -- I have no beef if you really need a mental health day once in a while, but I'm talking genuine abuse). So I understand completely why we have this policy now, but it is a pain in the rear end for those of us who are using it properly.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If you price it high enough, you only have to sell a few! This market theory is well documented in the literature with a lemonade stand as the example. See published work by Watterson, Bill.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Antioch posted:

Giant, game changing roll-out of new online banking system tomorrow 1900-0900.

Two new products, online and mobile banking, including new security features and an alert system that emails you for events.

"Gold" code was a month ago, they've been working on this release for 14 months.

Guess who just got a couple panic emails about a "new version" of the code that needs to go in.

Oh and alerts are broken for a whole subset of accounts that should have been tested but our QA department is staffed and run by morons.

Tomorrow is going to be a blast.

It is absolutely incredible how incapable people are of not doing last-minute changes. To anything. My organization has a bimonthly meeting for which anything being presented must be submitted and vetted well in advance. I still see people trying to make unapproved changes five minutes before we're due to start.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I hope the people responsible for Juniper's VPN solution die screaming.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
When my office gets too cold I turn on my heater (our electrical system is not pathetic and can cope with the occasional space heater without tripping breakers or anything). But then the heat makes me sleepy :( Turning it on always seems like a great idea up until I'm about to fall asleep at my desk because of it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Bob Morales posted:

Can't ping them. They reboot and it fixes it. Static IP

Anything in the event logs? (Can you remote in?) I was thinking IP conflict, but I don't know why a reboot would solve that problem.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

A c E posted:

I once got a "Mom's in the hospital" text. Of course no one would answer my calls or texts back for over an hour, that was fun. Is it so hard to add some extra information? "Mom is in the hospital and while she's not well, it's not life or death."
Not that you should be texting over that, but still, add more info.

Actually, over the weekend a co-worker sent me a text that said "Call me ASAP", so naturally I figured something horrible happened because I don't call people and they know that. Turns out they wanted to buy a tablet and asked for my opinion. Fuckers.

Last time I sent text like this I specifically included something like "nothing terrible" so they'd know. Never send a non emergency text that sounds like an emergency :mad:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

HalloKitty posted:

The "AVG Secure Search" in the actual search bar is the icing.

I'd go with "version 8.0.1," myself.

I don't work on personal machines. Unfortunately, my coworker is too big a softie and does it all the time, reinforcing the expectation.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I sent in a polite and reasonable request containing relevant information and my conclusion on the nature of the issue. I got back a condescending email that implied I should have checked a thing I don't have access to and know nothing about, and to which he would never give me access in a million years if asked. Fun times!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Current big organizational priority: professional development.

My boss' current training budget: $0.

I think I am starting to move into outright hatred of my employer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My boss is actually not the problem, my boss is great. The problem is the complete lack of support from higher up.