Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Welcome back thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bob Morales posted:

Less toner, worse quality, puke all over your printer once in a while. Especially bad with the colors

I learned that lesson a long time ago. I don't gently caress with anything but OEM carts anymore. Not worth the hassle. If they don't like how much they cost they can stop loving printing so much.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I stopped buying cheap HP printers. They're loving junk, and crazy expensive to operate. I won't buy anything less than a 3xxx series printer and prefer a 4xxx series unit. I switched most of those folks to comparable Brother units and haven't really had any issues to be honest.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Things pissing me off. If you're going to book an hour of my time to pitch me your product and bring a 'sales engineer' along, you better know your poo poo. If I ask you a pretty basic question about a feature your product has and you answer with "I don't know", that poo poo is weak son. I'm half tempted to try to find this guys boss and tell him how disappointing his 'sales pitch' was.

If you sell it, you should know it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Moey posted:

Looks like someone is having a meltdown.....

http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/res/4103554487.html

Saw this on reddit, almost pissed my pants laughing.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Stealthgerbil posted:

I get paid probably half of what I should get paid and I am pretty sure they are taking advantage of me. The whole situation is hosed and the only reason I am still here is that it is my first IT job and its something to put on a resume :( Oh and I doubt I am getting paid legally. Welp.

Details? 1099 abuse is rampant in the tech industry.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

3Mbit should be fine for connecting to a VPN. I remote into a workstation and work from there and have done it on my mom's old 3meg line just fine. Might have to tweak some RDP settings.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I just spent 12 hours between yesterday and today patching a Windows 2003 R2 box that hasn't been patched since early 2009. Bleh. 194 Patches total I think. Those .Net patches can gently caress right off.

Before any of you think I don't know what I'm doing, I had very good reasons it had to be done manually.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It's not 2007 anymore, 400MB is just not an acceptable mailbox limit anymore. gently caress, Microsoft will give you 50GB with O365 for under 10 bucks a month.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

Changing up your entire email infrastructure is not exactly a painless task. Quite frankly something like this is what I would expect a user to say.

It's not that difficult either if you A) Know what the gently caress you're doing and B) Set the environment up right.

I get so tired of lovely admins that don't know what they're doing, or companies that won't fund their critical infrastructure properly. The worst end user experience during our email migration was having to restart Outlook. Maybe I'm loving spoiled or something because my company isn't afraid to spend money on IT. Our Office365 E3 sub costs us drat near 7 figures a year.

anthonypants posted:

Migrating our 2500 users to Google Apps would cost less in both the short and long terms than this fuckup.

Google Apps runs 50 bucks a user/year, so that would be 375K for 3 years. In house email is probably less expensive than that. Probably not a whole lot more once you factor everything in like hardware/software/CALs/Spam&Virus but hosted email isn't usually less expensive for larger organizations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

:)"Dilbert can you teach me unix?"
:v: "yeah okay!"
:( "ughh can we skip to the GUI?!?!? I can't remember all these commands!"

I love the fact I was told in my interview "well we don't have a large unix need..."

However I just helped one of our largest customers solve some poo poo on some +10 year old unix system.

I question myself as to why many people in their 30's just decide to give up learning and try to go with the flow...

That's got nothing to do with the guy being in his 30's and everything to do with him not willing to put any effort in. People want the path of least resistance. It's basic human nature. Why bother learning a bunch of command line poo poo when the GUI tools will achieve his objective?

I'm 32, about dead between you and Daylen, things still come easily to me, and it's easier now I have a decent work ethic to go along with learning new things.

As for going with the flow, as you get older, like Daylen said, time becomes a more precious commodity and most people have more going on in their life. I too was once a young guy who threw himself into his work. Now I'm older, I have family to take care of, kids to raise, vacations to plan, dance classes and play dates and museum trips. You spend all weekend reading VMware books, and there is nothing wrong with that. That's your focus at this point in your life. Other folks have other priorities in their life and can't do what you do. I wanted to learn VMware and had to sacrifice a night away from my family and turn Tuesdays into a 14 hour day.

You're a good guy but you really have got to work on your empathy skills. They usually get better as you get older, but you have a glaring inability to put yourself in other peoples shoes and consider all angles of an issue.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Whoah, did an IT person gently caress up or does an end user have way too many permissions to that folder?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

poo poo pissing me off today... no SP2 for Windows 2008R2. loving patches...so many patches.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Caged posted:

All I know about old PBXs is that a guy I worked with who dealt with the Avaya stuff we had used to drink heavily.

The guy that manages our Avaya system for 700+ seats of call center workers is a heavy heavy drinker. Like booze at his desk and no one cares.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Caged posted:

Give them a quote for roughtly what it will cost in your time to figure out how to roll a poor-man's AD instead of a couple of Windows Server licenses. Complete with a side-by-side comparison of what features still won't exist in the DIY version.

Exactly, this is a no brainier. Server licenses are under 1K a pop these days right?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jim truds posted:

And my bonus is a 15 dollar gift certificate out of my bosses pocket.

I know it doesn't seem like much, but a boss reaching into his own pocket to give you a little something is not a meaningless gesture.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

baquerd posted:

I recently finished a job search and I found that giving target salary plus bonus up front was hugely beneficial.

I agree with this, if you know what the going rate is for someone with your skills and the company isn't willing to pay, or doesn't know what the going rate is, it's most likely someplace you don't want to work. If you're worth 60K and they don't bat an eye when you ask for it, you know you'll probably have the resources to do your job properly if you get a job there.

Companies that low-ball salary also are going to ask you to keep poo poo running bailing wire and some sticks

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I think you're looking for the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

https://www.bls.gov

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Having been involved with call centers for many years I love it when that happens. My wife works at a credit union and their call center has been just destroyed with the volume of calls from Target shoppers and people flipping out. It's always fun to watch the incoming trunks fill completely up.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm not sure who you guys are working for, but most companies with actual HR departments take the time to keep salaries in line using relevant market data. When we open a position we already have a budgeted RANGE for the salary. Believe it or not our attitude is not to pay someone the least amount we can get away with, we want quality, qualified employees that are happy and productive. An empty position can translate to hundreds of thousands in lost revenue, we're not going to argue with you over 5,000 dollars if you are the candidate we want.

If were hiring Sr. Sys Admin, we get a budget range from HR and Finance for between 95 to 115K or something. If you come in wanting 130K well no point in proceeding because that's out of our range. We're not going to gently caress you though and offer you 70K because that's what you asked for. The worst thing we can do is fill the position with someone unhappy who is going to leave in a short amount of time, that costs even more than not filling the position.

It's frustrating for me to see some of you guys dealing with this mickey mouse bullshit. Go find jobs with good companies, stop taking it in the rear end. Stop loving around with mom and pop outfits and MSP's. You should also know what the market rate these days is for your skill set, if you don't well that's your own fault.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I see a fiscally responsible out of the box thinker right there with upper management written all over him. I say he gets a promotion!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Yeah, I'm happy at my current position (but could use something more challenging/higher pay), these people just keep emailing me out of the blue then doing everything they can to avoid telling me what the job pays. It's kind of ridiculous.

So get ridiculous with them.

If I get an email I reply back with a list of requirements

Full time only, no contract work.
3 weeks vacation minimum
401k match
low deductible PPO with a reasonable employee contribution
$100,000 annual salary plus bonus/incentives

Because that's what it would take for me to think about leaving my current gig.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ugh. Other teams are doing poo poo in a less than ideal way, but I don't speak up because I'm stretched thin as it is. So my decision is to either work even harder, or sit back and watch people do things the wrong way. I might just be pissy today or something. Trying to give no fucks.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Caged posted:

Wait until you see per-port licensing on FC switches. All the hardware is already there, but you need the feature licences to turn them on.

Now that poo poo is beyond infuriating. I can wrap my head around unlocking 'advanced features' or something (just barely) but just to turn on the physical ports I've already purchased just makes me insane in the head.

GanjamonII posted:

Thing pissing me off right now: The cost of Cisco licensing borders on criminal. Yet we will purchase it anyway. I suspect we are paying more in license fees at this point than in hardware.

Yes, I'm new to this side of the fence.

"Enterprise" software licensing can often have an 80%+ profit margin. It's a major source of revenue. My company makes both hardware products and software. We get beat up pretty bad on hardware as there are other vendors in our space and we're all trying to sell to the same large companies.

I sit next to a small team of developers that work on a very lucrative software solution we sell and it doesn't matter if we sell 1,000 licenses or 10,000,000 licenses, the same 10 folks are going to be working on it. The more we sell, the higher the percentage of each dollar in sales is profit, AND if someone wants us to customize our software a bit, we get to charge them professional services fees to do so!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Megaman posted:

There is a small percentage of people who need patches and custom kernels for special devices, but the HUGE majority of companies pay for OEL and RHEL because they want someone to support them, and for someone to sue if their production breaks or goes down. Why would a company want this? Because their staff is incompetent and thus can't support it themselves. I've been supporting Centos almost my whole career, not once have I, or any sysadmin group that I've worked with, had to call someone for help. That's what you do when you're a grown up, you take care of them problem yourself. You find workarounds, hacks, or you write it yourself.

Nope. We pay for support to cover our rear end. It's much better in the land of corporate IT to have someone to blame.

We've opened a P1 ticket with <vendor>, they're looking into the issue right now sounds a lot better than "Oh Chuck down in IT is reading some man pages and blogs trying to figure the issue out right now".

Corp IT is 110% cover your rear end at all times. Do we need VMware support? Not really, but we pay them an absurd amount of money anyway. Same with our Microsoft Premier contract. I don't really need to pay them 6 figures a year, but they are handy to have when some poo poo goes down.

If it's production, it gets support. No support contract? No Corp IT support. We don't let CentOS in production, you go get a RedHat license and run it on that. Need someone to blame when poo poo goes wrong. You don't want to pay for it? OK, no support from us then.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

dogstile posted:

So where's a good start for SQL that isn't loving oracle? I tried oracle before and it was loving horrible.

It's Oracle, DB2, or MS SQL in my experience. Either way you might as well smash your dick with a hammer

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

There has to be some cloud fax solution out there. That would be at the top of my list to outsource if I had to deal with fax poo poo

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

nitrogen posted:

Somebody pinch me.

One of the project managers from The Mothership is...

(god I can't believe i'm about to actually type this)

One of the project managers is managing a project adequately. She's asking questions to accurately predict a timeline, instead of just trying to determine one by fiat.

She is setting expectations for the client that needs something pretty urgently. These expectations are adequate and based in reality.

A good project manager is worth their weight in gold.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

fluppet posted:

Should i be offended by a ~4% bonus?

This being the first time since escaping the public sector i have nothing for use as a reference.

Not at all.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

It still amazes me how cheap executives can be. I just had a c-level guy come to me asking if we had any company cell phone upgrades available. After digging deeper (he didn't even have a company phone) it turns out that he had some weird expectation that I was just going to be able to buy him personal cell phone with company money. He was actually shocked when told him no. The conversation finally boiled down to me saying "Well, if I wanted to buy myself a new phone I would usually go to the store and buy one."

What is 600 bucks when you make 250k?

It's always the higher level guys. Always. Back in 2009 or so we would buy folks Bluetooth headsets if they asked for one to go along with their free company paid phone. When we stopped doing that the only people that bitched were executives all making serious money. Us common folk understood. I'm sorry, is 50 dollars going to prevent you from making that Maserati lease payment? I didn't think so.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've always been a big fan of Dell's Gold Support. It's always set them apart from the other vendors. I'll gladly buy their equipment if it means I get their gold support and next day parts service, but you can tell a difference in them lately. We're on our 4th sales rep in the last 8 months or so and the last 2 times I've had to contact them there has been a wait/hold time to talk to someone. I've never experienced anything like this from Dell in the last 7 years of being in IT. Right now I'm number 35 in the Gold chat support queue.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Inspector_666 posted:

Dell's parts dept has hosed up every order we've placed for at least a month now, it's getting seriously infuriating.

drat. We've just had problems ordering poo poo. I'm not going to pretend we're some giant dick swinging company or anything, but we do on average 500 to 750K a year with Dell Hardware. That's not counting the software we have from Quest which probably kicks us up to a million a year.

Supply Chain seems hosed too. The VP wanted a new 7240 ultrabook and them having an 8 week lead time on them.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

totalnewbie posted:

Is it just me or is barracuda web filter a piece of poo poo?

Define piece of poo poo? Most of these webfilter appliances are just managed Linux boxes running Squid and some form of squid-guard like database of bad sites with some custom squid reporting. You're paying for their customization, updates, fancy reporting and the ease of not rolling your own.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bob Morales posted:

I have to pull emails and such for two users here, and they're going to be getting fired because of the content. I don't know one of them, but I know the other, she sits across the aisle from me and I've hung out with her and her boyfriend quite a few times, they're really great people.

But of course I can't say anything to her, or anyone else about it. Luckily she's not here so we can't pull poo poo off her laptop until she is, I almost want to send her some anonymous text message "DELETE EVERY MESSAGE YOU EVER SENT TO XXXXX@.YYYY.COM TRUST ME" so they won't have any proof when she comes back.

:smith:

Skip's guide to dealing with this poo poo.

1: It's never worth losing your own job to protect someone else. No heads up no matter how good of a friend they are. Don't discuss it with anyone period.

2: Don't volunteer anything outside of exactly what you are asked to provide. If they want emails from the last 60 days between John and Jane, give them that and only that. Don't volunteer emails between John and Mary you may come across that might be harmful to them.

3: Cover Your rear end. All requests like this should have upper management and HR involvement and follow all established documented company procedures if they exist. At least make sure you have emails documenting the request.

4: Remember you're just providing information, these parties chose to do something that ended up in them getting fired. You didn't get them fired, they got themselves fired. The first few times I had a situation like this I had a bit of personal guilt about it. Don't let that happen to you.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

poo poo not pissing me off today.

Just got back from a business trip to Atlanta, which was almost a company sponsored vacation only a few hours of actual work and quite a few good meals on the company Amex. I work today and tomorrow and then I'm off on vacation again until next Tuesday.

Also, we're rolling out an eVault solution company wide. No more loving backup tapes.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You might as well sock away 40% right off the top for taxes

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Gunjin posted:

I think the bigger lesson should be don't buy InFocus, their stuff is cheap for a reason.

I stopped buying InFocus and Dell projectors, they just weren't worth a poo poo. Spent a little more and bought some Epson's and haven't thought about them since.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

Projectors have always made me nervous. They just aren't something you buy often enough to really know what is good and what is bad. The pricetag is also one of those things that makes buying a lemon scary as gently caress.

We're really hard on projectors. We have 2 call centers where they run 24/7 displaying stats on the wall. The Dell projectors we buy last about 9 months or so before they die. We bought the 5 year warranty on them, so Dell just keeps replacing them. If you're buying a projector, get the best extended warranty you can, and check what replacement bulbs cost ahead of time.

We don't need anything fancy from them, just a bright output (current ones are 3500 lumens).

I put together the equipment for some new conference rooms in a different office though and splurged on the Epson units and they've been problem free. They don't get used as much though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I use Visio. Most companies give you all the pretty little template/icon packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bob Morales posted:

If I had to create one more ROMPaq diskette...

:argh:

What's a ROMPaq diskette?

edit: that's a thinly veiled you're old joke.