Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Scaramouche posted:

Epson in terrible in all respects. Everything, drivers, compatibility, OS, eventual print quality. The only thing in their favour is they last forever.

I've written a few apps that use the OPOS.NET SDK to print stuff with an Epson printer(TM-T20) and in my experience they're kinda decent. A bitch and a half to properly code for and get them to be recognized properly by the application and the OS, but once you've got that down it's rather easy.

Still, gently caress printers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Lum posted:

Distribution lists are pissing me off today. They've been broken for the last 3 days and it has been glorious.

Context, we have two that are relevent for this post.

(SiteName) Everyone - This is every employee who reports to a manager at SiteName, this is pretty much the entire company, including me.
(SiteName) Staff - This is people who actually work at SiteName. This does not include me as I'm 5 hours drive away

Most folk understand this, but one person does not understand the difference. He's also the office do-gooder, self-appointed parking attendant and self-appointed enforcer of a few other things.

I have various filters to weed out this kind of stuff at work. We have a few people who think it's relevant to send all kinds of stuff to the entire project rather than the right groups of people(such as probable outages or administrative issues) or just general bitching. A lot of them also don't seem to know the difference between Reply and Reply All.

It has also resulted in people applying for a function sending their resume and everything to the entire project, despite the correct e-mail address being mentioned in the original e-mail itself.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
More on mail: A coworker sent a 17MB BMP as attachment in a mail directed at the entire project this weekend, overloading most people's inboxes(We get a tiny amount of storage space for e-mails. There's not a lot that needs to be retained but a lot of people only start cleaning up once they get their mailbox size limit warning)

Reason the mail was sent? He found an USB stick and sent a photo of it to everyone to find out who might have lost it...

This after we've worked hard to teach people to not send screenshots in BMP format.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Crowley posted:

Are you using XP? Even MSPaint doesn't save as BMP as standard nowadays.

Yep, XP on local machines, and apparently Exchange 2003 for mails. I'm not in a sysadmin position here though so just going by what I can see.

Windows 7 migrations are planned for "somewhere in the near future" and a few machines have already been migrated as a test.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Starhawk64 posted:

Not really a computer related thing but since I work in a call center for TV and internet services have to get this off my chest:

Why are people so loving stupid when it comes to troubleshooting issues with TV? Getting someone to reprogram a remote is a loving battle since apparently they cannot follow directions correctly. How the gently caress do these people function in life? Don't even get me started on people who call in about poo poo we can't troubleshoot like DVD players and Tablets. Go call the manufacturers of those devices you dumbass dipshits! Why are people so loving dumb when they call tech support, it pisses me off to no end. If you don't know what the gently caress you are doing or can't follow basic instructions, get your tech-savvy friends or childern to call! :rant:

This sounds awfully familiar because I have a similar job. Only we do telephony as well. Great fun when a coworker makes a callback for a phone issue to the impacted number.

I'm a senior though so I only take calls when it's busy, I get to deal mainly with coworkers who can't follow basic instructions instead.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
A response to a ticket(well, contact form that's submitted via e-mail to a specific team) came in the mail today. The responder was requesting more details as everything seemed OK on their side.

The original message was from september 2012, complete with clearly visible date/timestamp.

At least someone had the courtesy to reply with "It looks like you have a bug in your system because this is from 2012".

My personal explanation is that someone sorted their mails by name rather than date and just got to work responding to everything, considering the form was sent in by someone whose last name starts with an A.

Every day I am amazed that everything still runs given the stunning displays of screwups big and small.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Bob Morales posted:

We have a couple people with Dutch last names where I work, and of course we get people that try to email them but can't get someones email address right even if they are typing it from a business card or sales flyer.

You end up with a name like 'Dave Graaf'

The guy then calls in to complain he's not getting all the emails he should. I take a look at the logs, and sure enough people are emailing dave.graff, dave.graf, poo poo like that. Either doubling the wrong letter or not doubling the right letter, because they don't speak freaky-deaky Dutch.

The question becomes "Well can't you just make dave.graff forward the email to dave.graaf?"

At first thought it's a fairly reasonable request assuming your email aliases are free. But it doesn't fix the problem.

What do you do?

You do what happens in my company and the customer we work for and just enter something that appears to be OK. We've got coworkers with different names in different systems as a result(Scheduling, QM, AD and remote AD)

Of course, once you ask about this it never gets resolved and people just deal with having multiple slightly differently-spelled last names.

You'd kind of expect names to just be copy-pasted out of an e-mail rather than being transcribed by whoever's making the account.

Even happened to me at a previous employer, my name was entered properly everywhere except for my e-mailaddress. When I mentioned this on my very first day I was said it'd be fixed soon. When I left 9 months later it still hadn't been fixed.

Also fun: A coworker's AD account was deleted when someone else with the same last name left the company. Somehow IT at this place has never heard of "disable, don't delete".

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

People that won't do a readback after a long string of information being entered in either over radio or over the phone. ESPECIALLY when there's questionable call quality.

In a similar vein, stop inventing stupid ways of phonetically spelling everything. I will mail overnight you the standard NATO chart so I don't have to figure out if you said Dog, Cog, Frog (it was actually B for Blog)over your static laden connection.

I work in a callcenter(Senior/Expert position so I don't take calls but do spend time doing QM among other things) and I have coworkers who do this all the time. Every time I hear one of them not using NATO I send them a message on Lync with a link to the chart. It's been surprisingly effective. Of course, most customers don't know about NATO and will invent their own methods.

I also make it a point to include this stuff on evaluations, especially the readback or just properly chopping up bits of information. Keeps calltimes low and limits the amount of callbacks.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
I hate it when people don't bother to read their e-mails before sending one out. Or check outage notifications or anything like that.

Background: I work as senior agent(I support regular agents, do monitoring and occasionally trainings) in a callcenter on a project for an ISP/phone/TV provider(outsourced helpdesk basically, and there's a few other companies involved as well as the main provider itself) and we're spread across two locations. The one I'm in is virtually all Dutch-speaking people, the other one is mainly French-speaking people with a few Dutch people thrown in.

Yesterday we were confronted with a pretty major outage that was quite difficult to localize. Normal procedure is to inform the seniors of issues you may encounter, but there's also a notification/ticket system keeping track of outages and their status. Due to the outage being difficult to localize we asked people to send in account numbers for reporting purposes(Normal procedure for any suspected outage) to send to the ISP to investigate.

Not too long after that we got an outage confirmation along with some basic instructions sent via e-mail in French and English(followed by me translating it to Dutch, which wasn't really required since everybody who speaks Dutch also speaks English, or they could ask me directly)

I made sure the teams in our location were fully informed of what was going on, steps to undertake, information to give to customers and everything.

More than an hour after the notifications were sent out I STILL got e-mails from the French side reporting outages and asking what to do. Rather than just sending it to a separate mailbox set up for this purpose, they were all sent to the distribution list for the entire project. Normal agents pretty much don't need this information at all as they can't do anything with it other than delete the mails.

And of course after the issue was solved and we again got mails with information and instructions, they didn't stop sending in reports that it worked again.

Every single time there's a major outage this poo poo happens: Mine and everyone else's mailbox gets flooded with what amounts to spam, especially since quite a few people on the French side feel the need to Reply All to this stuff with their own remarks and comments.

This is besides the regular distribution list spam about funny names or e-mailaddresses, news and people wondering when their paycheck is coming in.

I've got a bunch of rules set up to make cleanup easier, but the downside is that it means I still have to check every single e-mail in case it's relevant and was just sent to the wrong distribution list, which also happens quite often.

On the Dutch side this barely ever happens because we tell people in person to stop doing that and inform them of the right mailboxes.

Not much of an issue during normal business, but whenever there's an outage this is dialled up to 11 and is just annoying as all hell.

I've got a meeting scheduled in two weeks where I'm considering bringing this up in an effort to reduce junk but I don't think it'll be very effective(I get about 200 mails per day, over half of which are useless)

We also have one French-speaking union representative who's very vocal about just about everything, and who when someone asked for a Dutch or English translation of an ongoing conversation responded with a diatribe in French on how it's a multicultural company and that should be respected and English is not one of this country's languages and not everybody speaks it so how dare you suggest that I should use it and why don't you just learn to speak/read French.

I was tempted to respond in German(Also one of the three national languages) saying that he wasn't showing much respect by refusing to speak Dutch, especially considering his position but I felt that would have only made it worse.

I need a new job with less bullshit.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Caged posted:

Yeah but on the plus side you have nice beer.

Unfortunately nice beer does not make up for some of the people I have to deal with.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Bokito posted:

Pissing me off:
Main application is cobbled together COBOL-code from the 70's with a Java frontend.

The main database system I work with is something from the mid-80s and is basically the keystone to almost everything we do considering it contains all the customer data and technical situations.

The frontend is written in Visual Basic.NET and uses dynamic webpages for the scripts and support flows. It also uses screen scraping from a terminal session to get its data.

Considering the scope of everything said frontend brings together it's quite impressive, but it also has a bunch of annoyances and flows not appearing when they should.

Thankfully, almost all of the required tools(and there's a lot of those) can be accessed separately and the terminal session is fully controllable, provided the pile of macros it uses don't hang up mid-task blocking any new macros from even starting, or screw up slightly resulting in a perpetual loop.

It's a daily annoyance but I've learned to work my way around it. I'm also not required to use said frontend in my position.

It's fun to hear my coworkers complain about it all day though, although in their cases it's usually the result of following the wrong flow or not knowing where to look.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
Apparently my coworkers are unable to read timestamps or previously-sent mails.

Investigated a complaint yesterday, built up a timeline along with the details of the complaint, and sent it over to our supervisors as well as a few coworkers.

Two of said coworkers decided that today was a good day to investigate the complaint themselves(One asked the other to do it)

Their investigation is completely wrong on quite a few critical points as can be seen by looking at the clearly-visible timestamp on the original complaint, as well as dates and times mentioned in said complaint.

I'm gonna have a little chat with my supervisors on monday. Not the first time they randomly decided to ignore previous e-mails.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

baquerd posted:

Time to wave your dick around like you just don't care. If you're being marginalized, not respected, and your workplace ignores cold card evidence you produce, you need to revamp your image. Probably this means a new job, but just maybe if you jump right to literally "these coworkers hosed up and wasted time trying to do what I did and failing at it", you might be able to get some respect.

Respect's not the issue at all, seeing as how I perform pretty well and I've got all the required metrics to back it up. It's more a specific set of coworkers that is pretty much failing to communicate.

As for the investigation, I was asked to check it out by one of the supervisors and my results have most likely already been verified and sent back up the chain for followup as I kept in touch and updated said supervisor with additional details. It's basically just bothering me more that time was wasted for basically no results at all(which is something I'm going to bring up), and that another supervisor might end up making himself(and by extension the company I work for) look like an idiot by sending those results back up the chain as well(I have no idea if he did, but he was directly CCed on the communications by the other guys rather than the supervisor distribution group)

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
This is why I hate having to use KIES for my phone occasionally:

I mean what in the hell.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
You would love the Belgian situation. Whenever I have to go to Brussels I have a transfer time of about 5 minutes that's missed occasionally by random delays, and if I miss it I have to wait an additional hour for the next train.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Zamujasa posted:

The fact that these programs can't just run a downloader in the background and quietly install over their original directories when they're ready is a loving joke though, I can definitely agree on that point. There's no reason to re-confirm the installed path when the program already knows where it's being run from.

I've always seen it as an excuse for the developers to push additional crapware, joint offers, browser settings and trials for their other products onto you.

At least, that's what seems to be the case with Foxit PDF Reader, and the reason I am no longer using it. Downloading a separate installer again, running it and unchecking everything I don't want every time an update comes out is just annoying as all hell. If I wasn't interested in your other crap when I first installed, what makes you think I'd be interested now?

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If the server softlocks due to the disk subsystem going from 10 ms service time to 2,000 ms service time (because you told it to update permissions on 100k file entries), most client machines that try to touch the server to update directory metadata or do any file tasks will also softlock waiting on I/O. Once the server comes back from disk latency purgatory, it'll generally recover gracefully and the clients will stop locking and go about their day.

If it lasts longer than 30-90 seconds, some clients will abort with a generic 'disk IO error, please reattach disk and/or go gently caress yourself'.

Somewhat related but this was a fun thing back in my college days. The machines we used ran Windows 98 but we were using harddisk caddies where every student had their own 3.5" HDD(This was back in 2003). There was also a switch on the front of the drive in the machine itself which you could use to turn off the HDD, with the strong recommendation to always turn off the machine before removing the disk, and never touching the switch.

Windows 98 chugged along nicely until it tried to access the disk, at which point it just froze until you switched the HDD back on. Nothing quite like switching off someone else's disk and seeing how long it took for them to figure this out.

Also fun: Popping out the HDD and booting it in another machine, then returning it to the original machine. It usually kept on trucking.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
Belgium is covered in unions and they go on strike for every little thing. It is terrible. Especially when strikes involve blocking access to the parking, but not to your actual building, like the last time there was a major one.

Also, public transport seems to spend more time being on strike than working.

They have their use, but there is such a thing as too much unions.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Che Delilas posted:

Pissing me off today:

Thanks for your resume and cover letter, Che! We know you must have put a ton of hard work into them - even agonized over them, dare we say - to make them look good and interesting and make you stand out in some small way. Now if you'll be so kind as to spend the next hour re-entering every piece of that information into the ugliest, slowest and least efficient web form you've ever seen (broken up into 17 separate pages, of course), so we can vomit it out onto a PDF as a semi-wall of text that removes the individual 'you' from this process as much as possible.

THANKS! :haw:

I've made it a habit to discard any potential job offer that requires me to do bullshit like this. I have a nicely-formatted and clean resume, I don't need to pick various options from massive dropdowns to enter basically the same information again which just looks slightly different because the poo poo in the dropdowns is only half-accurate for some of the jobs I've had and I get a tiny textbox to explain what my job actually entailed. Also, why do they need to know the exact dates I started and quit each job or education? Is just a month not clear enough?

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Collateral Damage posted:

I finally managed to hammer into the skulls of our devs that database indexes are A Good Thing To Have, got them to analyze all the long-running queries and set up somewhat proper indexes for them.

Except that now they blame every slight hint of performance degradation on indexes "being out of date". Oh no, a report took 10 seconds to run instead of 5! Check the index something is wrong! We need more indexes! It's one percent fragmented, rebuild, rebuild!

:negative:

Ah, magic fixes. I work for an ISP helpdesk and I see a hell of a lot of this pop up. The moment a coworker learns a new trick they instantly apply it to everything.

One notable incident: The older modem/router combos the company supplied had unsecured WiFi by default, so customers had to secure them by themselves(or the installation tech would do this). The moment a customer doesn't remember their wireless key, they were supposed to look it up on the modem configuration page(shown in cleartext) using a wired connection or an already-working wireless connection. Later models of the same modem were presecured and had the default wireless key printed on the bottom label.

One coworker ends up talking to a customer with a non-presecured modem. Has them look at the bottom(where no wireless key is printed of course), and ends up trying the other data on the bottom. Turns out the product number worked in this case, customer or tech had decided to use this as wireless key.

Afterwards he asked every single customer to try the product number when they didn't have the wireless key, usually wasting a lot of time for something that had just happened to work for one singular instance.

Ended up telling him to cut that out and just follow the normal procedures.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
A bank in Belgium has ATMs that make sounds straight out of Windows 3.11 for withdrawals. It was rather unsettling the first time I withdrew money there.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Thanks Ants posted:

What leads people to decide that their phone service is so business-critical that they select a SIP provider based purely on price, and then are surprised when the call quality and support are complete poo poo?

The same thing that leads people to get residential-class internet subscriptions without any form of SLA contract, and then complain about the thousands they're losing for every hour their line is down, especially when they then learn that calling in on friday afternoon after 5 PM means the earliest a tech can come fix it might just be tuesday morning, and then refusing to pay the (relatively) small fee for an on-call technician.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I am genuinely unsure why companies don't fire people who reply all to those emails. File it under fraud waste and abuse, or file it under you're too stupid to work here.

Best Reply All stupidity I've ever seen was in a mail for a position opening up. The original mail stated that interested people would have to go to an intranet site to apply, and was sent to a reasonably large group of people via a mailing list that everyone can access(since it's used as a general informative mailbox for the entire project) Reply-All on that mailbox is a bit of an annoyance in general due to the project being split over two locations.

So naturally someone reply-alls with their resume and cover letter attached expressing interest for said position. About half an hour later, someone else reply-alls to that mail with their own resume and cover letter attached. Best bit was that according to the requirements for the position, neither of them would have gotten it. One even stated 10+ years of experience with using MS Office apps, such as Outlook.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

5er posted:

Middle management at my employer wonders why their first-tier call receivers don't respect them.

For the third time, since the middle of December, I've seen this scenario play out. Support rep is called with a product that's significantly out of warranty. Customer wants it replaced, but it can't be, because that's how warranties work. Customer takes the 'let's get abusive' route to get to a manager, without any provocation by the support rep. Support rep is subjected to vulgarity and personal attacks as they do their job standing up to policy, and eventually escalate the call. Support rep in every example is a bit demoralized and flustered, but largely advised they did the right thing, a good job.

Manager gets call, capitulates within 5 to 10 minutes, and gives in to customer demands. Manager *emails the support rep back that originally handled the call and took the bullshit off the customer*, to have them call back the customer and arrange the orders for whatever demands the customer got the manager to cave in on.

Middle managers who are likely not ever to read this; please don't loving do that. Either set up those orders yourselves (and if you don't actually know how to use the order processing utilities you expect your subordinates to, you're incompetent), or at least have the sense to arrange for a different representative to call the shitheel customer back.

It's not just middle managers that do this, I sometimes get to deal with fallout of overpromising and underdelivering to customers that get angry.

I work for an ISP(also IPTV and telephony) helpdesk, and we have quite a few cases where the customer was promised something that's technically impossible by physical stores just to make that sale. Same with home network issues(which we do not support), where a coworker has suggested something that either won't work or is just wrong, customer tries it, calls back, then hears we don't support it, then yells at us because "the other person told me you support this". Usually it turns out that said other person folded under pressure and didn't know what to do.

Similar things happen with devices that are defective but out of warranty: Customer is sent to a physical store for a swap, turns out the warranty has run out, customer then calls us or yells at people in store because the agent never bothered telling that the device might not be under warranty(we have no way to check, normal procedure is to ask the customer to check the receipt from when they bought it, no receipt, no warranty) out of fear that the customer might get angry.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Skandranon posted:

You have to know he is cooking up a CRM/Billing tool that will eventually be used by the entire sales team and need support from IT.

Back in my first helpdesk job in 2002 for a certain discount computer manufacturer(they also branched into other consumer electronics, we supported everything the company sold) the entire CRM/ticketing system was built in Access. Every month or so it started grinding to a halt, taking a few minutes for a basic query, and needed maintenance/cleanup to get it back up to speed.

Eventually it was just replaced by a SAP system, but this took a while(said SAP system ended up also being replaced by a different SAP system, but we still had to refer to the old system for some cases)

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

pixaal posted:

I have no idea what the hell one department does but the pickup rollers in the 2nd tray get sticky every so often. I replaced them a few times and cleaning them with alcohol wipes fixes it. One of the users now cleans the rollers when it get jammed and I left a stack by them. I also have another set of rollers from the maintenance kit for when they actually fail. Replacing rollers every month is not something you should be doing. The wipes end up with lines of pale yellow which is apparently whatever is getting stuck to the rollers and causing the thing to jam.

Are they printing any kind of labels with that printer and just shoving the required amount of sheets for their current job in there, leaving no evidence behind? I've seen a few cases where lovely/cheap label sheets not designed for laser printers ended up leaving stuff all over the rollers, although that usually doesn't limit itself to the pickup rollers.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Thanks Ants posted:

For gently caress's sake people, stop putting different branches of the same customer on different Internet connections provided by different suppliers, and then acting surprised when voice running across the public Internet over a VPN provides a less than awesome experience.

I bet they're also all basic residential contracts with no SLA too, as a "cost-saving" measure.

I work for an ISP, and the amount of large companies using (sometimes the cheapest of the cheap) residential contracts for their various locations is almost depressing. Of course, they will also complain the moment there's an issue and they find out they have no kind of priority whatsoever, and refuse to pay for an intervention outside of normal service hours, or that we don't offer any phone support on modem configuration for port forwarding or using a separate router/firewall(ISP provides the modem/router combo, they're not locked down or anything and port forwarding isn't that hard to figure out on them either, and it's very easy to get a router/firewall running considering it's just PPPoE. Hell, you can hook up your own VDSL2 modem as long as it's whitelisted for VDSL2 vectoring, you just get no support on configuration)

And it's not like a professional line is that much more expensive either, plus it comes with a lot of nice features and better support and SLAs.

Less than two months to go though, then I'm getting out of here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Super Slash posted:

Is this like a home router or something? I figured these days a lot of stuff is just on auto-update form the carrier.

The ISP I work for does this with their own devices, and we can remotely reboot and factory reset them as well as making basic configuration changes to the wireless AP part(channel changes and enabling/disabling wifi) TR069 is quite neat.

Also, one of the first questions asked when someone calls in is if they've rebooted their devices, even the IVR asks it, and a next step is to remote reboot the device if people call in.

It's quite amazing how many people lie about having done this without realizing we can see uptime, time of last reboot, and line status changes, or will refuse to even try it.

As a sidenote, I can confirm that Draytek devices tend to have the shittiest interfaces around, even if they're reasonably stable.