Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Cable lacing is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

How do people in Private IT live with this slowness? I mean gently caress this is annoying as gently caress.

It's like work on poo poo, and answering emails at home is hard... Holy poo poo, there is little push do devolve in advanced certs or knowledge of IT just "going with the flow". I hated those MSP's/VAR's maybe, Varrow and charlotte are different to a VCAP-DCD/EMCISAv2/CCNA-DC.

Probably should publish my certs on linkedin sometime...

shouldn't you be training for some stupid race instead of drinking

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I have my "local" boss on this assignment in Mexico and my "real" boss at home in Sweden.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Trying to bribe people with SSDs to write his homework essays?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Are they just out in the open? There should be a cover over it.

Shouldn't E-stops be a mushroom and explicitly not covered or guarded?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

No? It takes less than a second to lift up the cover and press the button.

In europe I don't think that's permitted - partial shrouding seems to be OK but I don't have EN 13849-1:2008 lying around.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Phobeste posted:

What in the world do you have e stops in a data center for? What occurs in a data center that is hazardous to human life? And if that situation occurs, are your e stops anywhere near the person who would be in such a situation? What is the point?

A shitton of electrical stuff you want to remove power from in the case of shock / fire / overtemp.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

To be fair that is not a terrible policy, because most stuff addressed to a function instead of a person IS junk mail. If you've negotiated a contract the issuer should have the name of a counterparty on it, so in this case it's the sender's fault.

We named our shredder "IT Manager" for this reason.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo pissing me off: our datacenter ISP routing traffic from our office in Mexico City to our datacenter in Mexico City via Houston and Dallas.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo pissing me off: our datacenter ISP is announcing our 2 mexican datacenters /26's (in different aggregate /24's :v:) via Texas. So traffic from my apartment in mexico city to my dev server in mexico city goes to Cogent in McAllen TX, Houston, Dallas, to Level3 in Houston, McAllen and back to mexican city. Thanks, extra 80 ms of latency.

Apparently this is done to improve our US connectivity, which is great since we have no US customers at all.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Our Stockholm office is all stand/sit desks that you can adjust and I have an Aeron. Unfortunately our mexico city office has just big long tables because ~~startup feeling~~ (and because there aren't any IKEAs where you can cheaply acquire these). My back isn't happy.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

For individual users, Google Apps is the poo poo. But if yo have to manage groups and stuff, it's a loving nightmare (I know there is PowerShell stuff, but out of the box it's all so loving rear end backwards.)

We're well north of 2k people in the google apps domain at work and it works well. Idunno what they use to manage it though, but probably some scripting on top of the HR system (or the AD that HR feeds into).

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

Business critical web application using java and flash, that only work in IE7. An unholy trinity of awfulness.

HP iLO Remote Console :negative:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

mllaneza posted:

I came in the next day to pick up the rest of my stuff (books, action figures, etc.) and get my check. She tried to get me to sign a statement that I quit without notice, I told her I'd told my boss in writing that poo poo was about to go down.

Things might be different where you are, but in my staff handbook it actually specifies the format of giving notice, which is basically "I, <name> with national ID number <blah>, resign from my position at <company>. Signed, ______ <date> <city>".

Saying "bad things will happen" would be interpreted by me as a threat, not a notice.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo pissing me off: my 802.1X certificate expired so now I have to sit here like some peasant on the guest network until servicedesk gets back from lunch they took at 10.30am.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I have brand loyalty to Dell because it's not an absolute chore to purchase Dell hardware. Whatever HP have done has totally hosed the process.

My ordering process for HP owns. I call my salesperson at my VAR, say "I need 3 more servers exactly like I bought last month and VMware licenses for them, let me know when they're ready for delivery to the datacenter and I'll give you a delivery number".

you're probably doing it wrong

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I might just have poo poo suppliers. When I buy Dell I have a list of options, and I build a server up from those options. At every step the compatibility of the parts is verified and an order sheet is created.

With HP you seem to have to go back and forth after listing a spec from their datasheets, assume the supplier is checking the compatibility for you, and then when you get amendments made you have to hope they haven't hosed up and removed a line item that you really needed. HPs reliance on their partners is their downfall in this situation.

You have a poo poo supplier, mine checks compat for me and only sold me stuff that works. Hell, there's even those do Supermicros that they guarantee will work well with FreeBSD (mullet.se is one) so there's deffo for HP. Mine hosed up once when they didn't update the firmware on the new Gen8s, not enabling AES-NI instructions and therefore screwing up vMotion cluster compatibility but that's about it over the 4 years I've dealt with them.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Trammel posted:

He was suggesting that the other poster was "doing it wrong", because the solution was simply calling your supplier for hardware if you need a new server. Then presumably waiting a few days. There's other solutions now.

I'm aware of this - I use most of my physical machines to run VMware. :yayclod: or rented VM solutions sadly aren't always the best given certain criteria, and sometimes you need physical hardware in a specific location. (In my case EBS performance wasn't up to scratch for Postgres when I built it out, and rented VMs with the SLA I needed would cost more than running it myself with less overall suckage)

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 14, 2015

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

psydude posted:

I'm assuming you're running this at layer 2. Is there even anything out there right now that can do 40G/100G over long distances, or are you guys doing some sort of metro-e layout?

e: Looks like 30-40km is the max range for 100G at the moment.

Using DWDM you can probably get 100 GBps over like 400-600km from a quick glance at some optical gear manufacturers cutsheets.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Congrats Dick Trauma!

poo poo pissing me off: The interaction of OSX, my macbook pro, a Dell monitor and HDMI.

I just started a new job and got a rMBP, and since this is a hyped tech company, 2 27" monitors. Our office wifi is not very good (i got dropped like 5 times in as many minutes in one meeting), so I got a Thunderbolt ethernet adapter. The 27"ers are Dell so they don't do Thunderbolt, only MiniDP - if they were Apple displays they'd a) do thunderbolt and GbE built-in and b) be glossy as gently caress. So, one monitor is plugged in to thunderbolt, the other on HDMI.

For some reason (probably just to spite me), the HDMI monitor won't work if I wake the computer from screensaver - just the built-in display and the MiniDP display. Solution? Unplug and plug in the HDMI connector. I'm soooo looking forward to getting a thunderbolt hub.

Also pissing me off: my wireless gaming mouse they provided is stuttering and not actually tracking the pointer. But it's got like 700 butans so I've got that going for me.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

dissss posted:

You should never specify VARCHAR without also specifying a length.

Unless you're on Postgres and want faster insert performance, since
code:
buttes VARCHAR(255)
is seen by the database engine as
code:
buttes TEXT CHECK (length(buttes) < 255)
(text and varchar are stored the same, see character types in Postgres docs)

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo not pissing me off: We had a little incident which resulted in a lot of long days and loads of work. My boss said "Ok team, everyone gets a week off - half this week, half next week. If you feel you don't want a vacation, work from home just don't come in to the office".

A week at the beach after working there for 4 weeks, don't mind if I do :toot:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

Take note, management: this kind of thing is exactly how you handle crunch/crisis.

Not to mention how we were taken care of during it - beyond the normal "catered lunch and dinner every day", since we were working long hours taxis/ubers home were expensed and there was always a coffee station set up in our work area (with HR coming in on weekends to make sure we were fed and caffeinated).

I mean, the crisis sucked but there are a lot worse ways to handle the aftermath.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

So who do I send my resume to?

Basically anywhere in the bay area but you can start right here

edit: we also do breakfasts T-W-T as well.

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 5, 2015

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

poo poo that pissed me off a few years ago:

There's McAfee for Ubuntu v:shobon:v

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

So you're paid to be the greasy male cosplay version of a booth babe?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I hang out with some girls at a con, how is that considered bad?

your drunkposting is so incoherent i kinda just assumed you were paid by vendors to dress up as your favorite my little pony

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I make a lot of money and show up between 9-10:30, or I just drink too much and say "don't want to show up today but if poo poo is broken I will fix it and go back to bed".

same but i live in SF so all of it goes to rent and handcrafted coffee

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

why does emc or vmware pay you to cosplay, idgi

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Well hang on because that looks pretty cool, is that an app that pop-ups replies to your posts? That's pretty sweet.

That's the new indie game Forum Simulator

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

shouldn't you be dead by now, or at least have your VCDX

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Does thunderbird still do RSS?

poo poo pissing me off at work: Everything I touch recently all has to do with ASN.1 - LDAP, Kerberos, X.509 certs. I'd scream but it would probably cause a parser bug, or be picked up as a Vendor-Specific OID.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Comcast.

Bought a modem, signed up for a plan, connected at my new place. Activated modem, got link. Then I checked my speed and got like 0.1 Mbps through it and internet is unusable. I did some troubleshooting thing where they rebooted my modem and now I get no link at all. Great, MiFi for the whole weekend it is I guess. Of course, the only time slots available for a guy to look at it tomorrow are 07.30-08 and 08-10.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Karanth posted:

Are you on WiFi? Does your upstream look reasonable but your downstream is garbage? http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Comcast_download_speed_fix_for_Linksys_eSeries

Ignore URL, the issue affects multiple consumer routers.

Nope, ethernet directly, in glorious bachelor fashion running through my hallway coiled like a sidewinder snaking gracefully down my carpet. Comcast tech came, looked at it, said "your modem's bad", hooked in a comcast provided one and lo and behold I got my hard-earned 125/12 Mbps.

Of course, now there's an outage that won't be fixed until 1AM. loving third-world internet in the bay area, I long for my Mexico City ISP that gave me 100/100 on fiber.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

DAF you should come work in the bay area. Showing up at work before 11 isn't always required and nobody gives a gently caress how you're dressed. Personally I roam the office with a wizard hat when i'm troubleshooting, and we have a guy that walks barefoot everywhere. You'd probably fit right in here.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Mogomra posted:

Is that where everyone's job title has "guru" in it? What the hell is a "Gamification Guru" anyway?

I wasn't allowed to have "Burrito Reliability Engineer" on my business card :smith:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Seriously my boss asked me what hours I normally work when I interviewed and i'm like "uhhhhhhh like 8.30-5" and he laughed in response "you'd be the first one in by a hours"

Now i'm like 11-7pm only because we have a standup at 11 and dinner at 5.30. Some days i'll come in at 9.45 so i can grab breakfast.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I just realised that VMworld is in town this year, if DAF wants to get lit I'm afraid we don't have any breastaurants in the area but I know of a couple good bars in the area.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Ursine Asylum posted:

Late morning buddies for life. I basically wake up at 9:55 and roll into my morning Skype meeting at 10.

I used to have a job that made me wake up at 7, like some sort of savages.

When I lived in Mexico City I had to get up at 6 to catch the carpool at 6:55 so we could beat the traffic and also be able to chat with Europe. That sucked but my afternoons I got off early at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I had loads of fun trying to schedule phone conferences between Central Time and Europe (7 hours difference), especially when the Swedes leave early to "pick up the kids at daycare" when it's a nice day out.