Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?

underlig posted:

That i today, after fiddeling with it since thursday morning, learned that the reason i can't do windows update on a freshly installed XP is because IE8 and KB2870699 wasn't installed. (Just 100% cpu for 24+ hours for the windows update service). (And that microsoft.com makes IE6 lock up for 30+ seconds)

That i had to learn how to get windows update to run on a freshly installed XP (EOL:ed software that only works there with printers and everything).

That i felt like i couldn't ask here if anyone's had problems with XP and windows update lately because i figured i would get told to do what the frog says..

Seems to only want to install from windows update with a manual windows update download. And WGA has to be installed and verified FIRST, before any other updates are installed and that computer cant be joined to a domain first. IE6 just cant run with the Windows Update page anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?

guppy posted:

Edit: oh hey, new posts. This was about the LJ 1022.

That specific model's also likes to break the local print spooler, preventing printing even to other printers, so badly that the only way I've ever found to get it working again is to manually delete the files that represent the print queue. It isn't a consistent behavior, some jobs just make it poo poo itself, and if you just try to restart the print spooler service without doing that it will just break the service again.

Agreed, I have this issue at the school I work at. Something about offloading a process that most printers do onboard to the driver/software. I get this problem when printing to PDF's and certain word documents.