Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Sirotan posted:

Get into work this morning, turn the corner to get into my cube and...

Spiders. Everywhere.

Well ok plastic spiders but I certainly let out a gasp when I saw them and thought they were real for about a split second. Now I have to think of a suitable counter-prank...

Grab some brown pipe cleaners and re-create clock spider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Used to VPN/RDP into my work PC on a 1.5mbit DSL line, its fine. 3 mbit is fine for non-HD streaming too, so you don't have to scuttle the netflix/hulu accounts.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I had to explain to someone that I have no idea what she did to a spreadsheet last week that caused her to break all her formulas, because she was the one that did it. She works in HR and tried to write me up for it.

I also had to explain to our financial advisor, in a meeting with the firm's partners, how to calculate sales tax in Excel.

Excel is haaarddddddd

HR got upgraded to Office 2010 a few weeks ago and one of the payroll jockeys has called me up three or four times about Excel issues where she's hiding rows, password protecting cells, linking workbooks, and other such functions which occasionally causes Excel to die a flaming memory death. Lady I barely know how to add a bunch of cells together, I can't fix your massive spreadsheet <:mad:>

At least that KB I found seems to have solved her problems.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Brought my boss almost to tears when I let her know that how bad she thought my one co-worker was and how bad he really is at his job is a lot different. All this because he copped an attitude over the fact I took care of two tickets for a group he'd been badly handling, which I then took to my boss on the recommendation from a few people I showed the angry texts to (don't get pissy with your coworkers over texts, especially when people are already tired of fixing your mistakes, seriously). Now she doesn't know what to do, the guy is so bad at his job it would take a gargantuan amount of classes and training to get him merely competent (though how do you teach a basic skill like "setting up a printer on the wireless network without hand holding") and she doesn't want to fire him, as outside of a few events like this he's a nice guy who gets along with everyone, even the worst of the users, and it would pretty much wreck him financially.

This is going to get really, really ugly before it gets any better.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

rolleyes posted:

This is management being spineless again. It is not your company's responsibility to train this guy to do the job he claimed to be qualified for, nor is it their place to act as social security for him.

There are a couple of points which could avert a firing:
- Has your boss actually brought up his poor performance with him and set out an improvement plan for him with targets to meet? If not then this should definitely be done first.
- Is there any training or qualifications he could get (outside of work time and on his own dime) which might improve matters?
- Can he be reassigned to another position?

If none of that is a help then there's not really much choice. It's not nice having to fire someone and it's worse when you know it will cause them hardship, but sometimes it still has to be done.

I'd also suggest your boss has a look at your hiring process to see why he managed to get through it, as from your description it sounds like he's almost comically bad. If she wants to avoid having to fire under-performers then the easiest way to achieve that is to not hire them in the first place.

The biggest problem is we don't know where to start on improvement; I'm no help since I'm one of those "always been good at computers" nerds and he hasn't shown any ability to learn on the job. The only thing that comes to mind is something similar to a "computer/network technician" associates that the local community college offers, but that's two years of full time classes and he needs to get up to speed a lot faster than that.

I'm going to bring up transferring him to another department on Monday, though I'm not sure how well it'll go over; part of the problem is we're very tight on staff and pulling someone out of our ticket queue, even if they mess up half of them, is a blow.

And she hates the job description we got hired under, but she only inherited our department about 7 months ago along with our problem worker, and has yet to actually hire anyone else (budget concerns; last years was not good though our partner org easily covered it)

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

That's difficult to quantify since I've got enough work to do that I stopped babysitting him a long time ago, so I only know when other people either complain about him or I get stuck fixing his mistakes. The most recent one I know of is the potential loss of patient data after he re-imaged a computer without backing up anything on the local HDD. The department that uses this computer was re-staffed about 4 weeks ago and from what I heard orientation and training was non-existent; managerial problem there, the new group basically got handed the work of the old group and told to have at it. Nobody even knew they had network drives until about 3 days ago, so lots of locally saved data. So all he did was ask the new manager if any files were saved locally and went ahead and re-imaged it after she said no.

The computer is back in the IT department on our bench, powered off, until I can get to it on Monday and start looking at restoring the data. Depending on what was lost, legal might get involved as any loss of patient data gets filed as an incident, which goes straight to our lawyer and the bigwigs of medical.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Misogynist posted:

My professional opinion is that what happened wasn't this guy's mistake, and you shouldn't treat it as though it is. You have an IT environment where patient data that you are legally liable for underneath federal law is being allowed to be saved to locations where it is not auditable and not being backed up. In what hosed-up bizarro universe does this get to be a single person's fault? You don't even seem concerned about the lack of auditing, so what other HIPAA mandates is your company completely loving up and slacking off about?

That's a huge issue in itself, one our security administrator has been fighting ever since she was hired almost two years ago. The state of IT in our org is abysmal, mostly due to the lack of resources and thought that was given until a few years ago. There's a divide in both the IT department and the org as a whole; those who have been there for a long time and don't care/gave up, and those who are more recent and are fighting to make things better. Unfortunately I think it's going to take a HIPPA lawsuit for major change to happen.

quote:

You should be treating legal as an ally in this case. Understand the underlying causes of this issue -- which, as far as I can tell, do not at all involve this guy doing his job the exact way he was instructed -- and use the pressure from legal as incentive to implement better solutions. Legal explaining this to executives is a great motivator to allocate more budget money to this stuff. Your network drives should be mapped at logon. You should not allow patient data to be saved to local drives. This should all be covered in documents and training sessions co-sponsored by IT and legal that explain everyone's duties under Federal loving Law.

You make a good point there, I'll get in contact with our HIPPA compliance officer on Monday and she what she says. While we do map drives, redirect local documents to a network drive, and have all this explained in an orientation session (mandatory, and should be your first and second day; if not, you have to read and sign a binder that explains all this and still attend the next orientation session), this new group somehow didn't go through this. Why they weren't saving to their network drives I'm not sure; it's possible they were and didn't realise it. But it's reasons like this we don't wipe any computers for 30 days after they're retrieved, so his mistake was not doing a local backup and not following the usual procedure.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

I don't know what the data is yet, just that it was lost. Most likely it was dietary info (dieticians were using the PC), and was used not by employees of the org, but a 3rd party that handles dietary and food services. I think the incidences of PHI leaving a secure location is actually fairly low since our repositories are not conducive to doing anything more than printing and all charting is done in applications that have no ability to save locally; any potential loss of PHI would be because it was copied down into a word/excel document. They do take data loss very seriously though (went through something similar when a few images were automatically cleaned off of a staging server I made that was never meant to be permanent storage before they could be attached to patient records. Ended up being a non-issue on my part since they broke procedure by not attaching them to a record within a certain timeframe) which is why this is could be a huge issue.

In short, any potential loss would have been patient related at the most, while no actual records or PHI was lost.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Negromancer posted:

I see nothing wrong with this response.

I have about 20 billion emails from finance's pet DBA because she treats it like instant messaging. I'm half tempted to give her an account on our openfire server just to cut down on them, but that's about all I can complain about with her; she's actually incredibly helpful with solving any problems finance has with their mess of applications, excel documents, and access databases :unsmith:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

guppy posted:

What the others have said is true, but to make it more explicit: IT doesn't directly make money. It enables other groups to make money. When the sales department generates $8 jillion in revenue, and a big part of that is enabled by IT's work, it doesn't matter -- Sales is credited with making $8 jillion, whereas IT just incurred costs, on paper. This is what happens when IT doesn't have a seat at the table and no one who does understands what they do, basically.

Speaking of seats at the table, our new (as of 5 months ago new at least) CEO just "let go" our CFO so now the CIO reports directly to him, when before it was CEO -> CFO -> CIO -> IT. While everyone in IT is cautiously optimistic, the mood upstairs in finance is... frosty.

Also got to spend half the day with our ex-CFO's secretary upgrading her to Windows 7 since she's staying on due to other duties. That was a little awkward!

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Lum posted:

Mine was "Why the gently caress is the sound defaulted to IRQ10? Everyone knows they come set to either 5 or 7". Then I realised that no-one knows that any more as it's irrelevant.

Thank god I wasn't the only who thought that. So many years in that blue menu on grey background setup.exe setting sound card IRQs and DMAs it's permanently etched into my brain.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

There were some wizards who could push that tiny little speaker to its limits. The PC game Ghostbusters II even had a passable "I, VIGO, THE SCOURGE OF CARPATHIA" that scared the hell out of a 7 year old me.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

AT E1Q0V1X4 &C1 &D2 S0=0 S11=34

Had to break out hyperterm to troubleshoot a 56K used for electronic billing and was surprised to see I still remembered the commands.

AT Z
AT DT 8675309
AT H

edit: just realised I had those reversed

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 13, 2013

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

You mean kind of like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmfHHLfbjNQ

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

I treat anything sent to my e-mail instead of the ticket system as a vague suggestion as to what I should do should I ever have free time. I never have free time.

I like to explain it to users as "how do you think the chances compare between me missing ignoring your email/phone call and the entire IT department ignoring your ticket?"

The answer is 100% on both because you have IT Munchhausens and nobody on earth can fix your problems.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Helushune posted:

What does your company use for antivirus? We're currently using Sophos but I'm pulling my hair out because it thinks that everything is some sort of trojan bent on taking over your computer. It's blocking WSUS and pushing packages over SCOM/Systems Manager from working. It's even been blocking Windows 7 SP1 and any updates to the Sophos program itself, constantly claiming everything's a trojan. I can't believe we pay a subscription fee to keep this thing around. :psyduck:

We have Sophos and it isn't nearly as bad as this. You have a subscription, did you contact their tech support? It sounds like your behavior monitoring is set to block anything suspicious and got tuned extremely tightly.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Yaos posted:

Does anybody use 3rd party software the deploys 3rd party updates? Right now we have people on a variety of versions of different 3rd party software since we have no way to deploy 3rd party updates and we would like to keep everybody on the same version. SolarWinds looks good, but wondering if anybody has any experience with it or other software of it's kind.

Since we're too cheap for SCCM I got my boss to spring for Solarwinds' Patch Manager and it works pretty good. Building your own update instead of one of their pre-built configs is quite the process though.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

After the fetid response of the medcarts given to the long term care facilities (large, cumbersome, paired with ThinLabs all in one units that break constantly), these new carts intended for use in the hospital seemed a lot better. They were meant to replace the COWs, had their own display for dispensing meds, and an onboard battery that could power a PC and monitor. We ended up pairing them with Lenovo M-series which seemed pretty decent despite the demo unit's HDD dying. Then the carts arrived and things started to go wrong.

The carts themselves run Windows CE (:wtf:) and can't connect to hidden SSIDs, so they ended up bridging the carts to the wireless via ICS on the Lenovos. Then the people the cart vendor sent to get everything installed and working discarded the labels on the Lenovos so when they went out to the floors they only had a 33% chance of having their location match up in AD, messing up assigned printers. Of course this necessitated overhead paging IT multiple times, then not answering the extension when we called for whatever reason (CIO didn't look happy and wanted names). Then the nurse managers changed how many were going to each floor and said four were supposed to float between the floors and needed all the printers. And now I just learned two of the carts had their screen lock up; one just had to have the management program restarted, the other is completely frozen and needs to have a fuse pulled in order to reset it. The cart vendor guy is going to show up tomorrow morning before his flight to show us how to do it and if it's anything more complicated than removing a car fuse I'm doing what I did with the LTC carts and running from anything more than token responsibility with these things.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

We had our free (org wide) christmas lunch today, then Monday is christmas lunch for just IT. Beyond that, christmas bonus is "well, you can cash out some PTO if you like :) "

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Health Records got upgraded to Windows 7 and Office 2010, and a day later one of the office workers put in a ticket saying they were unable to print patient labels for one of the inpatient sites; none of the data was filled out and just had blank constructors.

Once I found out it was a 14 year old Access database written in VB that uses an ODBC to interface with our clinical DB server I kicked it over to the applications team to deal with. :fireman:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Yes, that old terminal program that is being replaced soon is poorly documented. No, that's not an excuse for the fact you wasted over an hour trying to get it working when the steps are literally "Install terminal software, copy down config file, place shortcut on desktop" there is literally no steps in the installation beyond "put in software key, choose install directory" and the files are right there in our software directory there are only 10 whole files in there and half of them are just .txt files.

Christ I can understand the need for accurate documentation but if you can't do anything without it why are you working in IT.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

poo poo that soon won't be pissing me off daily... after almost 2 hours of negotiating, our contractor (the closest thing we have to a greybeard, only without the beard, and soon his own brewpub) has convinced the bosslady to upgrade the domain from 2003 to 2008 r2. We meet tomorrow to discuss what needs to happen and I am excited :woop:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Misogynist posted:

You're upgrading to an operating system that's already two versions behind the current one? :raise:

Healthcare IT, so we're ahead of the curve there :v:

I'll bring it up tomorrow but she'll want concrete benefits of the upgrade beyond "not dealing with an EOL operating system on the DCs as quickly". There's no plans to bring Win8 into the environment, especially since we're just getting to upgrading to Win7 now, so that cuts down on a lot of benefits.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Potato Alley posted:

Why not 2012 R2?

We actually discussed that today and it turns out everyone was interested in going 2012 r2; so now we have it running on a VM along with instructions to find a reason why we shouldn't, and if no one can come up with a good reason we're moving forward with upgrading the domain controllers to 2012.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

pixaal posted:

Almost everything includes that in non business lines, they don't care unless you either use a gently caress ton of bandwidth or are making money. Even then they normally just call you and tell you to either cut it out or upgrade to business.

Pretty much this, it's there so that when Mr. "I'm-too-cheap-for-a-business-line-This-downtime-is-costing-me-THOUSANDS-!!!!" threatens legal action he doesn't have any basis for it. They won't care about some home use SSH servers, the traffic is no worse than your average multiplayer game that uses P2P instead of hosted servers.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Not just how, but why would you even admit to something like that?

Unless he had people watching but then that just raises even more questions....

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Today I had the Windows 7 troubleshooter tell me the solution to a missing HP LJ 1200 driver is to install no driver, because one doesn't exist. And then it proceeded to work without issue. :iiam:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

stevewm posted:

I have had enough of loving printers....

We have 50 printers spread across 8 different branch locations. All various makes and models. Spent just over $30k last year on toners/drums alone, and a few more $k in replacement and repair of said pieces of poo poo.

Time to look into printer leasing or "managed print services".

Anyone have any experience with such services? Any recommendations? All of our locations are in the area between Indianapolis, IN and Cincinnati, OH if anyone here knows any "locals".

We have about that same number of printers spread across over 30 sites (1 main campus, a few large off-campus sites, a bunch of tiny satellites) and if we didn't have a managed provider servicing them for any issue beyond "the paper's stuck" 100% of our time would be fixing printers. They're definitely a benefit, just make sure you go with one that offers a make and model that will work with what you want, and not just whatever they think you need.

Speaking of printers, the reason I like fixing any issue the receptionist at our one satellite puts forth is the :neckbeard: responses I get whenever I do. She's been having a lot of issues with hung jobs on a desk MFP (not one of ours, a separate leased provider that a different department brought in for copiers) and she was smart enough to look at the queue, see who's job was hung, and go to their computer to clear it, so I gave her rights to clear jobs straight from the queue. Her response? ":aaa: That's awesome! Thank you so much! *high fives*"

It's nice to be appreciated.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Hah, reminds me of the time I opened up the side of a PC and stuck an oscillating fan right next to it to keep a video card cool. The fan on it died and it ran the room info abstraction display for the nursing station; if it ever goes down or doesn't display the right info it takes them milliseconds to call about it. No spares so it had to run like that for a day while a replacement was overnighted. Ended up being two days but it held on until then at least.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Planning and meeting for the domain controller upgrade continues, and the more I spend looking at certificate services, the more I hate whoever put it in place in our network. Not only was the root CA a domain controller, it's also the FSMO holder, and they named the cert after the server itself. It was pushed out via GPO to everything in the domain, but then I went looking for what was actually using the cert. Here's a list!

code:
Error: Index (0) out of bounds
I've been jamming myself into everything related to AD partially because I was only hired on for desktop support and have basically forced my way into more complex roles so I can advance my career (and the boss has been great in letting me at it), and partially so I can prevent crap like this from happening again.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Coworker went to a satellite to put a printer in place of a malfunctioning copier so they could print, told him to just set the IP to the same as the copier and I'd change the driver on the print server and everything would be okay.

He set the printer IP to the same as the copier. And set nothing else. And left the copier on, connected to the network, with its original IP.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

potato of destiny posted:

Things not pissing me off today:

code:
PS C:\> (Get-ADDomain).DomainMode
Windows2008R2Domain
PS C:\>
:toot:

Of course, last I checked it is in fact the year of our lord twenty and fourteen, but I can't find it in me to get pissed at actual, definable progress, slow as it is.

(Edit: it was win2003 last week)

We just did a dry run of 2003 to 2012r2 in a sandbox to prep for our own upgrade. It's going to be nice to actually have DC's I can work off of instead of loading RSAT on to a 2008 member server that doesn't really have any business having the tools in the first place.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Compromise and take a yacht to Europe. Preferably one that will stop for some deep-sea fishing.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

VanOwen posted:

I live and work in Boston. I work for a security company that creates applications for penetration testing and security analytics. I recently had the delight of doing the technical interviews for all the potential folks looking to get into one of our senior support roles. Due to the nature of the work the people we need to know networking pretty well and know a good bit of linux admin. My boss made me do all the technical questions of which I made a page or 2 of softball questions just to screen out the idiots. The follow is a typical conversation with people that actually came in to interview.

VanOwen - :) Your resume says you know linux!
RandomPerson - :downs: Sure do!
VanOwen - :) Great! How would I see all the files in a directory?
RandomPerson - :downs: - Uhh... Not sure!
VanOwen - :crossarms: Uh... OK. Maybe you're nervous? You must be nervous. Its 'ls'.
RandomPerson - :downs: Oh right. Of course! Ha ha!
VanOwen - :) Ha ha! OK so how could I show all the permissions on files and folders in a directory?
RandomPerson - :downs: Uhh... Not sure!
VanOwen - :stare: So... you... ah... OK. Hey! Your resume says you know DNS! That's a thing!
RandomPerson - :downs: Sure do!
VanOwen - :) So how does name resolution work?
RandomPerson - :downs: - Uhh... whats that?
VanOwen - :cripes:

Repeat this half a dozen times. And bear in mind I haven't even gotten to the stuff on networking, LDAP, SQL, python, regexp, or up-teen other items on my list.

It's fizzbuzz all over again. Surprised there isn't an equivalent for tech support.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

VanOwen posted:

Per the question before, it isn't Tenable (they have offices in Boston?) which I think is in MD.

They are, near Bethesda in a high-rise out in the middle of nowhere. Went there for a demonstration of their reporting software, their CSO is a pretty interesting guy.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

evobatman posted:

This is why any and all requests from users for wireless equipment are straight up denied by me. It's hard enough for us IT people to keep it working, I'm not willfully putting it in the hands of people who don't know that it needs charging or new batteries, or who can't reconnect it when the connection inevitably drops.

Around 25% of our devices are wireless yet they account for 90% of the "i can't log in it says server is unavailable" tickets and they are all because someone turned off the wireless NIC. We're too cheap to order proper wireless devices so everyone gets laptops and no one can use them properly.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

I know I didn't for my first SSD. It's screwed into the floppy bay by one screw since the case predates SSDs becoming common.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Depends on the org. Desktop support can be either the end stop for all issues that aren't network/server related or the poor bastard who goes out to the PC when remote tools and a clueless user aren't able to solve the issue. Think level 2 helpdesk with the ability to leave their desk.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

dogstile posted:

I currently have a ticket for this. What does that actually do?

shutdown /r(eboot) /f(orce all programs to close) /t(ime to shutdown in seconds (miliseconds? can't remember)) 0 /(co)m(puter) <target>

Other common flags include /s(hutdown) and /l(ogoff)

Linux is pretty much the same except the flags use "-" instead of "/", shutdown is -h, and you don't use -t for the time you just append the time at the end.

edit: it is seconds, and apparently you can specify a shutdown time of up to 10 years in the future :eyepop:

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

MF_James posted:

It's extra fun when you're logged into some device and screw this up like I did. I may or may not have been logged into a print server and did a reboot... except the reboot was 10 minutes from now. The best part? It helpfully logged me out after the shutdown command, but wouldn't let me log back in to do an immediate shutdown, it also wouldn't do anything else except wait for the reboot to happen. Thank god I didn't accidentally put 10 days or something dumb, although I was on the phone with someone on site at the time so they manually rebooted.

shutdown /a aborts the pending shutdown :ssh: