Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Volmarias posted:

poo poo that's not pissing me off:

Apparently HP now makes an "Enterprise Driver" for my home printer/scanner, which is an installer with just the relevant drivers and install program, and is 20MB instead of 200MB for the "Full Feature Driver".

:stare:

I... how did I find an HP driver that doesn't want me to install bloatware? I don't even

Edit:

Nope, HP's driver can't figure out what the printer is. There's the bullshit company that we all know and love. :sigh: Trying the "Consumer" drivers instead...

Double edit: Nope, that's just a wrapper around their "Enterprise Driver", still no joy. And they can't just loving package DLLs with an .inf file...

Try opening the .exe with 7zip or something close, there's always a .inf buried somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, to follow up on this, competent HR departments are like competent IT departments, or really any other department. We have all had experience with incompetent IT departments, or some in this thread have (or still do) worked in them. That doesn't meant that people in IT are all glorified computer janitors. Compare Dick Trauma to Tony.

My current HR department isn't named HR, and they do some pretty magical things which I'm not even sure I can share.

It gets better :unsmith:

Ours is actually pretty good, they're not very needy, notifies us of terminations right away, seems concerned that the application side of the IT department is looking grim (long, boring story, doesn't affect me all that much), and I've been able to call any of them up and get an answer on something if I need it almost straight away.

Plus the one guy who interviewed me was awesome and told the CIO "if I was you, I would hire him right now" after my first round of interviews. I'm more than willing to do favors for him if he asks and he's more than willing to give me locally-made chocolate bars in return :3:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Two phone calls today, looking to speak with certain users;

Call 1 posted:

*background sounds*
*call disconnects*

Call 2 posted:

"Hello????"
*call disconnects*

These are public facing nurses stations, going to main lines families call looking to speak with family members...

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Using an access DB as the backend DB for paid software should be banned as cruel and unusual torment. You should forfeit all rights to a fair trial if you package it in a single user install only msi.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

That's fizzbuzz, and it's become popular in interviews for programmers to weed out the ones who struggle to come up with solutions to problems that require some thought. I'm not surprised to see it come up in a scripting environment.

edit: dangit

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

mewse posted:

Look at the syntax for the bash script version that was posted and tell me you wouldn't get tripped up by the millions of braces and brackets. I could write fizzbuzz in 3 minutes in C but bash scripting is a nightmare

About 4 months in to my job I wrote a handful of bash scripts (first time) to do some file operations. When it came time to change one of them about 6 months later I re-wrote the thing in python. I'm sure it all makes sense in some context but working with variable syntax drove me up a loving wall.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Boss keeps bringing in candidates for a desktop support position with way overqualified resumes. Then they bomb the group interview because it turns out someone with 10+ years of IT experience applying for desktop support means their skill set never evolved beyond help desk, and with our IT department being as lean as it is dead weight is a huge liability. Trying to engage them in anything technical becomes "well, I know how to make users" and then everything just gets awkward.

I'm starting to feel bad for these guys... just not bad enough to approve them.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

I had a user ask me where the enter key was in a keyboard yesterday :shrug:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

TWBalls posted:

To be fair, some ergonomic keyboards do have the enter key in strange locations. See: Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox etc.
That said, if they're ordering strange keyboards like that, it ought to be up to them to know where the key locations are. Plus, it's not hard to simply look at the keyboard to see what key is what (unless they bought a keyboard with blank keys, but again that's on them).

Nope, standard keyboard from an HP Probook 4440s

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Hell even on modern computers, I can't imagine why "shut down" is even a thing this button can say, and I believe it's even the default, whose idea was that?

Oops, I missed that 30x30 arrow, guess I'm rebooting.

GPO'ed the default to log off after the 50th user hit shut down instead of log off like I asked them to.

Now we have a problem with users leaving their computers on for way too long :v:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

Dear God why did you have McAfee prodcuts within 100 meters of a server environment?

Ask me about our 30 Server 2003 Citrix app servers all running McAfee. Go on, ask me :unsmigghh:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Sir_Substance posted:

Tell me about your 30 Server 2003 Citrix app servers all running McAfee. :allears:

10 of them are dying and getting replaced with the same OS still running McAfee because something about getting P2V'ed (the other 20 have always been VMs) causes McAfee to overflow in the kernel memory and kills the host after anywhere from a day to a week. For whatever reason they were fine for about 2 years but a month ago we started getting calls from the helpdesk on users unable to launch apps at the middle of the night because they won't die at sensible time like 3pm, no it has to be 1am when they die and need to be rebooted.

It all goes away in a few months for Server 2012r2 hosts running XenApp 7.5 and maybe Sophos if it plays nice, probably nothing if it doesn't.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Yaos posted:

There's a super secret group policy in Windows 7 that prevents Windows 7 from connecting to non-Windows machines over SMB. It's not called this though, looking at the policy name you would never know what it does, I can't even remember what it's called. :hehe:

There's some obscure settings with samba that will let Win7 clients connect without doing the change, but I don't remember which ones.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

TWBalls posted:

Do you have their Host Intrusion Prevention installed? I'm guessing it's that. It installs a bunch of poo poo that you can see in device manager if you enable the 'Show Hidden Devices' option.

Don't think so, but there are some McAfee devices in there, one of which is the one I think is the culprit; it was behaving when I was running poolmon but by then the server was out of production.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Windows hex error codes can be translated right at your computer, no Google required.

End up googling the error message most of the time anyway.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

They are the same, the print queues exist in the print spooler, devices and printers/print management just interface with the spooler. Print Management just gives you further control over installed printers and their queues, drivers, and remote print queues.

Do they think there's a difference in queues between the two? Have them open both and send a print job to a printer.

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 8, 2014

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

This software I've been dealing with asks me if I want to save my settings every time I hit cancel in the settings menu. This bothers me way more than the migrating settings.xml file or the fact I had to load mssql server express management so I can change its DB security to allow users to even launch the program without administrator rights.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Prepping for migrating a 24/7 department off of a Novell file server to a Windows fs tonight and running through everything to make sure when the time rolls around all I do is run a batch file and go back to doing whatever. Boss said a few days ago she would prep the list of specific users who would get their personal data moved; guess what list is empty :argh:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Next time, try the software with the best name ever, PC Decrapifier.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

It's been almost 2 months of "There I fixed it... *DAYS GO BY* ...wait no it's still hosed." with a linux box running samba and winbind; anyone who had their AD account renamed due to name changes could no longer map the samba drive, with auth.log saying they were trying to log in with the old name. Funny, since the mapping is done entirely through GPO and should pass through with the credentials.

After a few reboots, unjoin/rejoining the domain, name changes, and oh so much testing, I thought I finally had it when I accidentally broke the server and had to redo the pam configs and specified some extremely small refresh intervals for the tdb backend. Not a peep from the complaniest user until this afternoon when she says it's still not working. More testing and setting samba log level to something more chatty showed the kerberos ticket was generated using the correct name but pam was passed the old name.

Google eventually pointed me in to the direction of the netsamlogon_cache.tdb database and its tendency to not refresh SID mappings. Poking at the db revealed the incorrect username linked to the user's SID, and one DB erase later resolved the issue on the test account, so nothing left to do but wait for the user to confirm it's working.

Pre-emptively celebrating fixing a problem by nuking a DB with a somewhat fruity witbier.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Every server has the same local admin password to rule them all, so at the kinda-monthly department meeting today I floated the idea of a password management solution and everyone was pleasantly receptive to the idea. So that may be one less thing pissing me off daily in the future.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Caconym posted:

The one good thing about working in medical IT is being able to shoot down the vendors as soon as the word "cloud" comes out of their word holes. We're not even allowed to have data in clear-text in RAM on a message broker when in transit between different hospitals (but still inside our internal network), storing anything in the could is right out.

The cloud's answer this is apparently java VPN tunnels. I hate them all, every single one of them.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Why does everyone think they need Acrobat and not just Reader? WHYYYYYYYY?

Round here everyone wants acrobat so they can convert PDF's to DOCs. Well the jokes on them, all the licenses are in use so if they want it they gotta fork over the cash, and people start getting second thoughts when they find out they're paying $300 for a PDF converter.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

anthonypants posted:

A guy called in, said he'd been put on light duty so he was going to help out the office staff with some computer work. But he doesn't have an account, so he can't log in. The user who usually sits at this computer is on vacation, and he wants to reset that user's password. I tell him we'll need his manager to send us a new account creation request, and then we'll be able to get him an account.

A few minutes later, his manager calls and speaks with someone else here. They reset that user's password.

Hahaha, hope this isn't an org covered under HIPPA/FERPA/SOX,'cause that's a violation!

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

I'd honestly reply to DickTramua's email with "Yes and one million dollars".

Am I the only goon that works on AS/400s? I'm sick of having work with SYSVAL, WRKOUTQ, STRPRTWRT, Fix Central, PTFs... :suicide:

I work around an AS/400!

Ynglaur posted:

I replace software systems that often reside on AS/400s. Does that count? (It probably doesn't.)

this thread makes my Java rant seem somewhat trite. Thanks for cheering me up, SA!

You're our aging AS/400 analyst's worst nightmare. He's getting close to retirement and he's deathly afraid we're going to replace ours and he'll be out of a job.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

Won't happen. My clients can't find people who know AS/400's fast enough. Do you want to make a lot of money writing code? Learn COBOL. It's not a fun language like C# or Python or whatever, but there is a huge demand in the marketplace for it right now. Nobody replaces 40 years of code overnight. They don't even do it in 40 years.

That's what I keep telling him, but he's old and doesn't want to lose the job he's had for almost 20 years.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Just found out our main clinical application will let users enter invalid characters into fields without warning them (i.e. letters in to numbers only fields) until they finally go to "sign" the note, at which point the database will reject the entire note. These are branching path notes that can take 30+ minutes to fill out.

Oh and the vendor blames our "network" (read: citrix application on a VM talking to a DB on a VM in the same environment) whenever it flips out and takes up 100% of a vCPU or locks the DB.

Bob Morales posted:

There's a dog in our server room. That is all.

I have deja vu...

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

: Hey these two master data items are hosed up this is affecting production.

:smug:: Nah they're fine you probably looked them up wrong.

*checks item change log because key user superpowers allow it*

*posts about it on internet "comedy" web site Something Awful's user forums*

Speaking of loving things up and avoiding responsibility, a few months ago I started up Patch Manager and got a warning that it was 700+ nodes over the license limit, and found out it had inventoried every single computer in the domain, including the servers. I freaked out a little because when patch manager inventories a computer it has the option to install its client extensions, a set of WMI namespaces that provide more information for inventory reports, and some of these servers are old, somewhat unstable, and very mission critical; anything unusual on them would spark a witch hunt. Fortunately a spot check showed the client extensions hadn't been installed.

Then I went looking for why, which was easy since patch manager logs every task, and the culprit was the most recent one; an incompetent sycophant who had been told "look, don't touch" had set off an inventory of the entire domain. I SS'ed the event, and emailed it to him asking WTF. When I got no response after a day, I yanked his access. Still hasn't said a word to me about it.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

KaneTW posted:

But yeah, this sort of adware poo poo is really terrible and I don't know why companies do that.

Is it Java or Adobe Reader where you have to hit cancel to not install the lovely toolbar, instead of just unchecking all the options and hitting next?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Take me off the mailing list please!!

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

Eehhhh, you know what, if you weren't running Exchange on it W2k3 had a pretty good run. Sure it had a lot of foibles but in the end it was relatively stable for all that.

Our prod citrix environment is still 2003 and for how much pain we put the hosts through the only ones that really had an issue were the 10 that were P2V'd about 5 years ago and still had junk hardware drivers and references on top of McAffee AV. Won't be long until our Xenapp 7.5 farm is ready to replace them though.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

My brother asked "is there anything you can do to get them to fire you?" and I figured, yes, lots. :getin:

I feel a little better now. The CEO's assistant sent me some really nice emails. I'll get started on my LinkedIn/Monster/Dice stuff in the next couple of days. Thank you all for listening to what is now multiple years of work horror.

As someone who quit by post-it-note, I emphasize. In hindsight, I regret quitting the way I did, but do not regret quitting. It sounds like your job was even more toxic than mine, so good on you for putting your health and well-being ahead of being these people's IT scapegoat. Enjoy the feeling of waking up tomorrow knowing you won't have to put up with any more of their BS.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

n3rdal3rt posted:

Not pissing me off: Today is free ham day! :btroll:

Kind of pissing me off: Who needs a Christmas bonus when you have a $12 ham?

What the hell, is this a holiday or something? Today was the day to collect your free turkey at work.

I now have 4 lbs of smoked turkey sitting in my fridge.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Our christmas party is a free lunch at the cafeteria (the lunch is actually pretty good, they make a pretty good effort) where they cram people in asses to elbows in chairs with arms so to get out you have to push the person behind you in to their table and push your chair waaaayyy out. Then make everyone else slide in as far as they can as you crabwalk your way out. God help you if you're up against a wall, you sit down and stay there until everyone else leaves.

stuxracer posted:

My company finally got around to blocking SA from being accessed from our network when I was on vacation for Turkey day. You unfun meanies :(

Of course social media sites are totally cool though.

Ours blocks everything fun except social media because marketing wanted people to be able to post about how great their job is to facebook. Yes, this is the actual reason.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Support for our main clinical app is utterly terrible. We installed it on some 2012 r2 servers to host it as a citrix app and there we noticed it sometimes cuts off the arrows on numeric fields and drop down boxes, making them only a few pixels wide. When we raised a ticket with support they closed it going "we don't support 2012". So we tried it on some 2008 r2 servers we had since our SSO doesn't work on 2012, and got the same issue. Re-raised the ticket with support, and they closed it going "other people run it on 2008 r2 without issue, it's a problem on your end".

No, assholes, it's a problem with your application being unable to handle the aero rendering engine since it doesn't happen when we turn it off on 2008 and when we switch to a high contrast theme in 2012 (different gui rendering engine than non-high contrast). Christ, 1 mil+ a year to be told to piss off when their application has a problem with something.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Common theme around here is a department requests a project from IT, nobody documents anything, and it becomes a mess of broken verbal promises and feigned surprise when someone trips over functionality; when I got tapped for a small project (build a server, install some software, push a client, done) I spent 30 minutes writing up a project outline from a template I found on google and emailed it to the requestor, my boss, and the requestor's manager. No real responses from anyone except an "attach this to the original ticket" from my boss.

Before I left for the day I talked to my boss for a bit and brought up the project outline, and when I asked her if that all was kosher she went "Yes! It was simple and outlined everything that needed to be done and what our responsibility is. I saved a copy of it myself and we're going to push to make this standard moving forward."

So hey, documentation. I hear it's popular these days.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Volmarias posted:

There is a penis where the booze should be.

The dickbag icon would be perfect but it doesn't shrink down to 10x10 very well. Maybe if someone spent more than a minute trying.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

I cleaned out our print server's spool directory and found a spool file 356MB large, dated back in September.

I can only assume it was either a PDF or a crystal reports document.

Probably knocked offline whatever printer they tried to print that to.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Actually seeing those four letters together brought back a deeply-buried memory of a previous job where my boss kept massive spreadsheets of static IP addresses for things like printers, scanners, cameras, access points etc. and made the argument against setting static leases of "well, what if the DHCP service fails?". Which I never really understood because the clients wouldn't be doing much at that point and so it wouldn't matter.

Speaking of static IP spreadsheets, we recently scuttled ours for GestioIP ( :france: ) and it's pretty nice. Took all of an hour to get going with AD auth. Our infra engineer and vm admin get the most use out of it but it's nice to have if I forget the name of a server and don't have the DNS MMC snapin loaded on the computer I'm using. Infra guy set it to poll all of the subnets so now it's a central list of every IP device out there in a nice organized list. Bonus, it comes with a plain user group so I can give "look, don't touch" access to our more fuckup prone techs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Wizard of the Deep posted:

The big problem with Invoke-Command is, from what I can see, you have to have the remote computer set up to support it. Since it's a configuration setting that has to be positively changed and deployed, it's probably not. Get-WMIobject only requires that some standard ports are accessible, and you're using an account that has admin access on the remote host. Also, you can easily pipe everything GWMI outputs to Export-CSV, and go from there.

Also, you might want to check the processor/OS bitiness, which you can also do with GWMI. No point putting 8gb of RAM in a machine that will only see 4gb of it.

("GWMI" is a built-in alias for "Get-WMIObject". You can see all the aliases with "Get-Alias", or its alias, "gal". Many of the old DOS commands and common Un*x commands are pre-populated, like DIR (get-childitem) and MAN (get-help).)

(Also, Powershell is depreciating gwmi for get-ciminstance, but I've had much better results overall with gwmi)

Yeah I don't think I'd ever use invoke-command to pull from WMI namespaces. Maybe use with a piped foreach? i.e.

code:
Get-ADComputer -filter * -searchBase "OU=foo,DC=bar" | % { GWMI win32_physicalmemory -computerName $_.Name | select things,stuff | ConverTo-CSV > c:\RAM.csv }
Or get fancy and exploit namespaces for multi-threading to make it go faster, but last time I did that it was a chore to get working.