Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Inspector_71 posted:

"Ok so I put together a Dell that will handle everything you need for about $540 before tax and shipping."
"Oh wow, that's great! I was expecting to have to spend $1000 at least!"
"Nope, desktops haven't been that much in a while now."
"Wow, that's great. So can we get a cheaper one?"

It's official, my mother has become every bad customer rolled into one.

This is why I bought my parents a second hand Optiplex off ebay. Avoids the questions of "could it be cheaper?", every time you find a great deal. (As long as it's not one of the cursed models, they are extremely reliable!)

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

sanchez posted:

Windows is great. Windows backup is poo poo, I've never seen it used IRL and find it hard to imagine where it would be useful.

Hm, Windows 7 backup really isn't so bad. It works. You can restore from it readily. I cloned my machine using it.

Yeah, it's not amazing, and it's useful to note that Windows 8.1 guts most of the functionality. Old versions of Windows backup totally blew, though.

I absolutely agree on the nonsense "low space" warnings, though. What the hell.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

TWBalls posted:

Speaking of which, did we ever figure out the Bottle Opener/flash drive thing? I don't recall a post on collecting payments so they can be ordered.

Good call! I'd still love one.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

:)"Dilbert can you teach me unix?"
:v: "yeah okay!"
:( "ughh can we skip to the GUI?!?!? I can't remember all these commands!"

Haha, oh, to have that little self-awareness. I guess he doesn't understand how silly that sounds.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

spog posted:

Today I learnt that what I call a 'kettle lead' isn't in fact, suitable for kettles.

And from now on, I shall be 'that guy' who corrects people when they misuse the term.

I've known that for some time, but I like the pure Britishness of referring to a lead after a tea-making implement so much, that I not only let it slide, but endorse this misuse.

I don't mind if someone says "oh, but did you know that real kettle leads have a notch (xbox 360 PSU uses one of these too!)" then we can go back to calling it a kettle lead.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ahh, Happy Hardcore. 90s flooding back.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Humphreys posted:

I'll find some of the payslips.

EDIT: It's how it has been explained to my dumb head, when in the office I'll check it out

In a progressive taxation system, once you go over a "threshold", money earned above that point is taxed at the higher rate.

The money below that threshold is taxed at the original rate.

It's pretty basic stuff. Having ALL your money taxed at a higher rate just because you earnt more would be ridiculous.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

Wasn't that what those DivX DVDs were supposed to do back when they existed?

DIVX - DivX is an unrelated codec.

I know. Way too similar.

What an incredibly wasteful idea. But then, we toss masses of packaging that holds small items all the time. Sometimes a pallet of packaging for a tiny item as some no doubt have had the experience of.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 31, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

gently caress trying to make emails look nice on multiple platforms.

Looks nice on Windows RT
Looks nice on iOS
Looks nice on Android

Pick 2 of 3.

What? You mean you don't only send email in plain text?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Humphreys posted:

I'm betting there are some OCD folk out there just hating that and wanting to make all the black squares a perfect diagonal line.

Ninja Edit: Not OCD, but those graphs always bugged me a little

gently caress, that was my first thought.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Lum posted:

Mine was "Why the gently caress is the sound defaulted to IRQ10? Everyone knows they come set to either 5 or 7". Then I realised that no-one knows that any more as it's irrelevant.

I had a sound card fairly late, but I do remember having to change jumpers on various devices to adjust the IRQ. Then again, I enjoyed PC Speaker music. Especially when you had a decent driver, not just a stupid buzzer like today.

I also once had a motherboard that lacked a CMOS battery (it was soldered on and had been torn off to remove the password), and no auto-detect for the HDD, so I had to remember the parameters on every cold boot for my cavernous 245MB HDD. Glorious times... kind of.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

PC speaker has always been 'just a buzzer'. And there was never 'PC speaker music'

Tell that to Pinball Fantasies. Or Lotus III. Or Monkey Island. Or Leisure Suit Larry.

I played plenty of DOS games that modulated the basic IBM PC speaker to be something that elevated it far above "beep".

Hell, I even had a Windows programme that could take a proper WAV file and output through PC speaker (albeit mangled to hell because of the inherit limitations).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 13, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

nitrogen posted:

This is incorrect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RealSound <-- this was a thing. I remember playing Mean Streets with this on it.

EDIT: Beaten. it happens when I have to do real work while browsing the forums :(

The link on that Wiki is great. A treasure chest of PC speaker at far beyond the designed purpose.
http://www.oldskool.org/sound/pc/#digitized

I would always take the proper large speaker from my older PCs to my newer ones. Toss away those silly piezo buzzers that came with cheap later cases. Well, not any more of course, boards come with them onboard or not even at all, and now you'd have no use for it. DOSbox can emulate PC speaker anyhow.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 13, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Crowley posted:

I thought sound cards was for chumps. Games worked fine without it and I just didn't see why I should dole out $10 for a Covox.

Then one of my friends called me frantically and told me I had to come over NOW. When I got there he put me right in front of his computer, closed the curtains, turned up his (awesome) stereo, and put on Dune II. The intro blew me away, and I just had to swing by the local electronics pusher and buy the components for a Covox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbe7DWi4xHw

Sounds great for such a tiny circuit, wish I'd known back then!

Pinball fantasies PC speaker (turn down, whiny noise)
Pinball fantasies Covox thing

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 14, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

TWBalls posted:

Wha...how? I didn't really know you could change it as I never bothered changing it because I've never had an issue with the colors. So, after seeing this post I checked to see where the setting is. I had it figured out in less than a minute how to get the text green (and I'm still working on my first cup of coffee, so I'm still not fully thinking straight). Was he legally blind or something? I just don't get how he couldn't figure it out. Your everyday end user, sure, I've come to expect that, but a tech?

I changed my text in PuTTY to green because it's just more awesome :colbert:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Switched to Spotify a year ago and haven't looked back. :smug:

Ah, how not so smug that face will look if Spotify disappears too. But I guess I'm old fashioned or something. I like having a goddamn copy of something I can do what I please with. I've watched things on Netflix and then bought a physical copy just because I hate having streaming only access to things.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

That Pentium CPU is worth a fair bit,due to the gold content in it. Around 20 dollars according to :http://www.ozcopper.com/computer-cpu-gold-yields/

Hm, so I thought I'd check ebay. If you look up Pentium Pro, sure enough, they're flagged as being for gold recovery. Oh well, people know.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yeaaaah, you aren't likely going to find any deals on ebay.

It wasn't so much that I was looking for deals there, it's more that I was interested to see if it was a thing on ebay, and it did not disappoint.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

VLC lets me use the mouse wheel to turn the volume up to 200%. Media Player Classic lets me click anywhere on screen to pause or unpause video.

Why can't I just have both!? "Okay you want to watch that movie? Just let me set up WinAutoHotkey so we can both hear the quiet parts and pause on a moment's notice to discuss things."

I know that wireless keyboards are things that exist but i like just using a mouse or something like logitech touch mouse. I shouldn't have to bring more to the couch.

First world problems.

Note, that volume past 100% in VLC is simply compressing the range and will result in clipping. Not much cop for audio fidelity, but I understand that a lot of videos may be quiet.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Crowley posted:

The 1022n is actually a network printer.

..barely.

(still wouldn't touch it)

I think he means it doesn't natively have a PCL or PS renderer in the printer, so the server needs to take the documents, render them, and then send them to the printer using some made up driver garbage.

It draws your mind back to things like Winmodems.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yaos posted:

Funny story, our supervisor asked our top sys admin how much more AD would cost over eDirectory, turns out that Microsoft does not nickle and dime us like Novell does and we'll be saving $40,000 a year which will more than cover SCCM licensing. Want to push out printers? Gotta buy Zenworks. Wanna remote control computers? Gotta buy Zenworks. Are they included in the same package? According to the sys admin they are not. :mad:

I guess nobody is moving to Novell, and all they have left to do is milk the ever-living poo poo out of their legacy customers.

Kind of sad, because Netware used to be pretty awesome, and had many features Windows was only having wet dreams about.

Then it became apparent that Microsoft Windows was going to be the desktop OS of choice, Microsoft made their server offerings usable, and that was pretty much that...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Misogynist posted:

Dell techs are contractors working for Banctec, Unisys, or some other big field support company, so there's a non-negligible chance that the person you got just has no loving clue what they're doing.

Because they are contracted out, plenty of money gets lost along the way, so the amount that's available to the actual end technician is poor. (I have done contract work for random companies that then send me to work on Dell machines. Paid per job, no expenses. It wasn't great).

Which also goes some way to explaining the above.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

ookiimarukochan posted:

In our experience, at least, SSDs are far far less tolerant of being dropped/knocked than normal hard drives, so there's that small joy to look forward to at least.

What the gently caress?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

afflictionwisp posted:

My company's archaic remote access policy, which is "We dont allow telecomuting, RAWR!" The owners actually get angry whenever anyone brings it up. Even though we've had to build a rather robust RDS environment to facilitate people doing there jobs because, well, it isn't 1992. Unfortunately this meant that, earlier this week when we had ice and snow dumped on us and no one could get anywhere and I was working from home, I was still forced to take PTO.

And since its our busy season, they wanted asses in the chairs this weekend, just in case. Like we're not always on call by default anyway. And, since its our busy season, we're not allowed to make any changes right now. So here I am, in the office on a Saturday with next to nothing to do, not even getting comp time.

Yeah, working for free is ruining it for everyone..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 14, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Thankfully we're away from XP, but for those who aren't: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/12/exponential-algorithm-making-windows-xp-miserable-could-be-fixed/

Essentially: yes, XP is slower than it was. Thanks, Windows Update! Then again, that problem will solve itself in a few months, eh?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

The thing is, I reckon it would just about even out vs extended support for maybe year one but there's no way that if we do that they'll get their act together to do the roll out a year later and we'll then end up having to pay even more.

And what's worse is that they had a golden opportunity to start it off years ago when they upgraded a load of desktops but wasted it. I just want to be able to pin poo poo to the taskbar dammit :mad:

Edit: gently caress I just realised, if they haven't started yet then it wont be done until after April anyway so the company will basically have to buy extended support (which I guess is in 1 year increments) and put money into the rollout over the following 12 months to avoid getting stung for even more the year after when the cost ramps up further. I bet the amount this costs totals a tiny fraction we've pissed away poaching teams from other companies then firing them after 6 months.

That's just standard practice for ill-educated management, right?
Ignore the advice of technical people because you have no loving clue what they're talking about, then flap and moan later wondering why nothing was done because now it's costing money.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yeah, in no way is that BS1363 compliant. Earth pins are never supposed to have insulation, and there has to be 9.5mm between the outside edge of the plug and the pin leg (to stop your fitting fingers behind it). Fuse missing of course you already mentioned.

Whenever I get one of these laughable pathetic cables that have ignored all the relevant standards, I toss them immediately. Same with adapters that sometimes ship that go from Europlug to UK. It's perfectly possible to make them to standard, but some businesses simply don't give a gently caress.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

ookiimarukochan posted:

The butt plug? Autocomplete gone crazy? over-agressive Cloud-To-Butt (though even then, I have no idea what a "Cloud Plug" is)? or just dislike of God's Own Plug Standard, the Type G?

Type G, BS1363 truly is the best. Whenever I have to handle some other type, I marvel at how goddamn flimsy they feel. I also absolutely hate cords that stick out straight from the wall.

Europlug is probably one of the worst. It feels like it's barely suitable for running low voltages through, and wobbles around with its pathetic pins.

Of course, Type G is awful for travelling with. But that's where ThinPlug comes in. Have one for my laptop. Nice bit of kit.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

dogstile posted:

Things that are pissing me off, people who take time off for sick days and don't realise you're still contagious for a day or so after it goes away in most cases. I'm ok if you can't stay home and work because you have important things to do but if you can afford to stay off, stay off until you're not contagious please, drat.

The entire support office is infected, i'm watching the lights on the wallboard drop off one by one. And thus, we end with not a bang, but with a whimper.

Edit: And i'm one of them, it hurts to loving breathe, what hellspawn is this thing? I'm going home.

Isn't that really a problem for US employment law, though? Because there's no enforcement for paid sick day amounts, I believe. I don't know a huge amount about US employment law, but from the scraps I have seen, it's bloody awful.

In the UK, there is no such thing as a limited number of sick days. If you're sick, you're sick. You may get reduced pay after 4 consecutive working days, but some will pay you the normal amount. (Well, there is a 28 week limit on sick pay you're entitled to at a low rate, but gently caress me, if you're ill for 28 weeks, there's only so much you can expect without some kind of insurance).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 9, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Powdered Toast Man posted:

This doesn't piss me off because I don't have to deal with it, but it's still loving hilarious.

So, a while back someone at the HDQ of my company (read: not someone in IT, since all the IT people including myself are at a different office) took it upon herself to upgrade a bunch of workstations of Office 2010. She is a complete loving dingbat airhead, so her logic was, I'll buy one copy of Office 2010 and upgrade all of these systems!

That was 90 days ago as of yesterday. Guess what just happened? :magical:

Haha. Their logic is clearly "IT makes everything so complicated! See, I just bought this disc and installed it! Everything is fine!".

No, Windows volume licencing and actual licence contracts are for a reason. But hey, what do we know?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Only slightly related, I noticed the Java updater has switched from bundling the Ask Toolbar to some McAfee bollocks now.

Why the hell does Oracle pull this poo poo? Ugh.

vv, Yeah, I heard that it was supposed to be Intel Security, but there it was, McAfee, in huge letters, in the latest updater. Who knows.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 16, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

DagPenge posted:

In Denmark all banks and your access to everything provided by the Government via the internet is secured by... you guessed it a java application. The application uses three factor authentication sure, but I still need to update Java on all our client PCs and Remote desktop servers constantly.

Oh, but wasn't there a time when it needed an old version of Java?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Just to add some extra coal to the fire here:

So yeah, you can moan about Adobe all you like (and boy, is it fun to). Turns out, their issues are a gnat's fart compared to the hurricane of issues with Java.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 17, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Lum" port="424548996 posted:

I want to know if it's doing something really dumb like checking the contents of the Uninstall registry keys to see if the uninstaller for 4.0 is there, or something stupid like that.

Haha, oh god. Well, no language can stop people from making arbitrary specific checks.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

:psyduck: aside from the fact that it'll broadcast the SSID on every new connection for a snooping kit to pickup? That's not security, that's just plain lazy

Woah, woah, it's not lazy.

Insecure and pointless, but not lazy. Logging on to a ton of unmanaged wireless points to add MAC addresses to a whitelist? That's not lazy, that's just braindead busy work of no use.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

No, Lazy. Instead of putting together the effort to do things right and getting a proper solution in place that can be centrally managed to reduce the amount of time (billable?) taken to add a single computer to the network and reduce the possibility of $ImportantPerson not being able to connect to the wireless and raining brimstone on your face.

See, that's what I'd call efficient, which you could also say is lazy. I don't see lazy as a bad thing. It's far more efficient to have a proper solution, allowing you to be lazy later on. Manually configuring countless APs requires a lot of effort, and is totally idiotic.

I guess this sort of sums it up.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 20, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

Whats wrong with Teamviewer?

No idea. Always used it, it's always pretty usable even over a mediocre connection, and is dead simple to use.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

I didn't know they did a centralized list of computers with the free accounts

Yup, this is possible!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

evol262 posted:

Am I reading a post from 2003? Most of these things have been non-issues since the first days of dual channel on A3200+es, RAMBUS, and Granite Bay P4s. Timing doesn't even need to match these days, and you don't need matched pairs.

Also, the 4GB limit is vastly overblown. PAE exists, and while direct memory mapping for video cards and PCI devices happens under the 4gb barrier, and you can't use 64 bit binaries to allocate more than 3/4gb per process (depending on the OS and the heap size), people happily had 12gb SQL servers on 32 bit chipsets. 4gb is not a hard limit.

On consumer versions of 32-bit Windows, even though PAE is enabled, it still won't let you address above 4GiB. So for most people, that is a hard limit.

I know someone who has a Socket 775 motherboard with a Core 2 Quad in it (Gigabyte board) that only supports 4GiB RAM, no matter what the stick configuration.

We have fairly new machines (Socket 1155, Ivy Bridge i3) that simply do not boot with RAM that should be compatible, and only likes certain RAM.

My own motherboard (Z68) was running OK at DDR3-1600, but when I added another 8GiB of identical model and brand RAM, I would get occasional BSODs, and errors in memory testing, until I lowered it to DDR3-1333, since then I have had no issues. I did notice the new RAM has slightly worse information when viewing the SPD data, but you'd think they'd be the same.

Even when building a new Z77 machine (a little while back now), I had two identical sticks of RAM, and one would cause problems, then the other on its own, sometimes it would boot with both, now it's running fine for a long time on one (one that originally gave issues).

So in my experience, RAM can still be a real rear end.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

evobatman posted:

My 2004 Saab 9-3 had this. Since the throttle body was electronic, all that was needed to add cruise control was to replace the turn signal stalk with one that had the switches for cruise control on it, and activate the feature in the ECU. On older cars you had to have vacuum pumps, chains, mechanisms, wires etc to actually pull down the throttle pedal and keep the throttle body open.

Same thing with an Aux port for the stereo. The functions were already there in the stereo, I just had to plug the wire that had the actual headphone plug into the back of the car stereo, and the dealer had to activate the function.

A lot of modern cars have features that are there but are deactivated, artificial price point segmentation.

My car is the base model in the range, but by replacing the indicator stalk with one that has 3 buttons in it (no tools, literally pull it out and push the new one in), and enabling cruise in software (using an OBDII connector and some proprietary software), I have cruise. The light is already there on the dash.

On the same line, playing with the software, I also can now lower and raise the windows using the remote, which I couldn't before. I can have the lights stay on for a short time when I get home in the dark - which again, didn't have before. Both my electric windows (front) are now fully automatic up and down.

There's a lot of crap you can do if you have the right software, basically.