Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Bob Morales posted:

Some old Engineer kept calling his laptop a labtop, and then he said back in the 70's or 80's they made lab-tops that sat 'on top of your laboratory table' and that's why they were called that. I wonder if you spent an hour Googling old magazines or something if that turns out to be a real thing.

Sounds like a man trying to save face, honestly.
The whole point of the word "laptop" is that is meant to convey portability.
Why the hell would they market a portable machine for its ability to be used on a bench, in a laboratory, no doubt close to a power socket.
Sounds a shitload like a "desktop" to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

evol262 posted:

Where do you even find alternative software to flash?

I was trying to make it general, but to be specific about it, my car is a Vauxhall Astra H (so, Opel - built in 2007), and there's a nice cheap Chinese clone of some expensive Opel specific diagnostic kit called "opcom" that can be bought on ebay. They often ship it with some software which you run on a Windows machine. So essentially, the setup looks like a black box that plugs into my OBDII connector, a USB port on the other end that goes into my Windows laptop, and some slightly ghetto looking software.

You can see all kinds of values, it works with a lot of models, you can output logs, but crucially, you can go into specific ECUs (one in the steering column, the main one, one in the rear, etc.) and see fault codes, and change values. The software was fairly friendly to use, with drop downs to select values from, as opposed to just letting you write garbage strings which would probably result in misery. This specific car uses CANBUS as its network, but I know the previous version of this car, it had a different standard, and you could do crazy things - change the mileage (trivially) and remap the car for better performance, so you could quite literally download a faster car. I don't really know how to do that on my current car, and I doubt there's much more performance to be wrung from a small diesel anyway. But the cruise and the other niceties were well worth the £20~ I paid for the kit.

vvv Haha, so true

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 23, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

evol262 posted:

I guess I should rephrase. I'm broadly familiar with how ODBII works and aware of the existence of CANBUS, but I wouldn't know where to start procuring software which actually lets me change values on the ECU. I've used generic tools for checking fault codes, and Torque is installed on my phone talking to a generic bluetooth ODBII adapter, but where do I find something which lets me use drop-downs instead of garbage strings? And where do you find information on what ECU values to change to enable cruise, automatic window control, etc?

I wouldn't honestly know what works for your car specifically, you'd definitely have to do some searching. Because although there are standard OBDII fault codes, for example, the actual control systems for each manufacturer are different, so the only thing I can suggest is to search online about your specific car and see if anyone has had any luck with it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

frogbert posted:

Here's the latest BackupExec cock-up I found.

I hate non-resizable windows, but luckily, that control on the left with the snapshot list is not a fixed size!

So if you use a script to force the window to resize, that list scales perfectly and fills all available space.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 31, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

New software for controlling the LED sign out front of the store... coded in Windows Media Player???

Oh goodness.. Windows 2000 explorer style sidebar with XP buttons and an old Windows Media Player look.. awful layout with text going off the bottom.. What the?

Well, I guess they designed it over a decade ago and never bothered to re-do it.

But it would have looked pretty tacky even then.

Motherboard utilities are especially bad for this - they always come with some extremely gaudy design, and a non rectangular window, just to show off that they knew how to do it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

evol262 posted:

The ui is antiquated and looks like it belongs in XP MCE, but mostly that it was crippleware which could use virtually any non-teamed/non-esxi feature workstation supported as long as you imported a VM from a "real" VMware product but couldn't actually create the vmxes, and wasn't (probably still isn't) at feature parity with virtualbox

Uh, no. It can create VMs. It doesn't need to import one at all. It can definitely generate vmx files. There was probably a time when it didn't, but it is not this time, and hasn't been that crippled for a long time.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Helushune posted:

"It's running slow and won't let me on the internet"

gently caress our "Bring in your personal machines and our IT department will fix them (for free)!" policy.

The "AVG Secure Search" in the actual search bar is the icing.

Seriously though, I never knew Firefox had that many toolbars available for it. Some serious effort was put into loving that up.

vv I guess I was going more for the fact that this system supposedly has anti-virus, AVG has a Firefox aware plugin, yet obviously it was completely useless against the onslaught of the hopeless user

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 8, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

President Ark posted:

Go to google, google "skype", click first link

Those are probably the very steps that caused the problem.

People who don't use AdBlock often get malware links in a yellow ad box above their actual search results.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

Returning to our topic: people who wear heavy fragrance

poo poo, this can be as bad as someone who reeks. You go too far one way or the other and it's never good. Also, people should never use spray on poo poo like Lynx (Axe in the US) because all it does is coat the back of your throat with this horrible choking poo poo that makes me think of school locker rooms.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

dogstile posted:

Update: A total of 10 people have been laid off for smoking outside of work/on their lunch break. Some had been working here for years. What the gently caress, why hasn't this guy been taken to the cleaners sooner?

Uh.... those people had no backbone. poo poo, they should all join forces or something.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

Not giving me a raise when I think I deserve one is damaging, but adding insult to injury is going to put a NOS booster on my timeline, to say the least.

I feel like this at the moment, so I've been packing up my stuff in preparation for hopefully getting another job soon.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Lum posted:

Mostly off topic for your situation, but I hear you on that last one.

gently caress working in London. I'd rather work with printers.

Short version: Unless you're a stockbroker or some poo poo, anyone who works in London can't afford to live* (or park a car) in London, you're looking at 1-2 hours of overcrowded, overpriced public transport from some shithole dormitory town like Aylesbury or Romford every bloody morning.

*Unless you're prepared to live in a rented shoebox at the side of the road for £1200 a month and still spend up to an hour on the Tube.

Yeah, my older brother lives in a small town just inside the M25, and ended up living in what can only be described as a converted garage in someone's back garden. (Not even kidding, it's not even a large one - not even built properly). For £500 a month. Remarkable value! Even that was hard to find.

London.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 14, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

"That's unreadable! No one can read such small fonts!"

If only there was some kind of zoom feature.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

They use excel for their job, so they're presumably supposed to have some level of proficiency in it, they should be able to figure it out themselves.

You mean a structural engineer doesn't call the cleaners to ask what materials can bear X amount of load?

The doctor doesn't ask a waiting patient if they can perform bypass surgery?

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 17, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

TWBalls posted:

As far as I'm concerned, trying to watch Blu-Ray (or DVD for that matter) is a dog poo poo experience since more often than not you have to sit through a bunch of bullshit before you can even watch the movie you paid for.

I bought a couple of BD burners so I can rip them and watch them over my home network. The discs just sit on a shelf.

I don't know why you'd spend more for a burner, but I do this. I have Blu-rays and HD-DVDs, but I never actually play them as intended.

Ultimately if there was a legal way to simply get a high quality file as if you'd ripped it yourself for a low price, that would be thoroughly reasonable.

As it stands, if you want a good quality copy of a film, you have to buy a chunk of plastic and have it mailed to your house and copy the contents to your machine. Which is utterly ludicrous..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

fakeedit: I'd link but am on my phone.

I posted in a thread on here and linked to an external website while getting up this morning, with my phone. Not trying hard enough ;)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

Lets form a union. Someone find a way to make our acronym "NEEDFUL".

Nimble Engineers of Electronic Data Frantically Use Liquor

Not really a union name, but it was something

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 13, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I think last week he just sat here running speedtests till 6:30

It'd be fun to find out what exactly speedtest.net looks for on the target server, because of course it uploads as well as downloads.

Then you could simply add a DNS record to point to a local server with the same software on to reply with, so when the guy runs the test, it comes back as amazingly fast, and he can stop wasting his time.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Sickening posted:

Welp, I just got the phone call I never thought I would get. Looks like I am getting a boat after all. Talked to my new boss and he gave me the greenlight to take off after lunch. We didn't quite hit the 10k mark, but its close enough. I asked for a cash-years check and they are ready to receive me at about 11:30 today.

I believe the current status is that the consulting company got the internet working but none of the web servicing back up. I am probably going to configure a few firewall natting rules for external ip's or something simple.

It appears I will be showing the consulting company my magic during the fix. Hoping to be browsing the bass pro boat yard by 3 today.

Its like I just won a loving scratch off or something.

Well drat. A happy ending? Someone admitted fault and then paid to fix it?

This is amazing. Enjoy the cash injection!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

anthonypants posted:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If it broke, reboot it.

If all else fails, call the vendor.

Vendor tells you to reboot it

If you haven't tried rebooting, tell them you already tried that, just to add some excitement

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Caged posted:

The best bang for buck way of doing office PCs, ignoring VDI, is to cheap out a bit on the CPU but make up for it with an SSD.

If there was an Optiplex with a 3 year warranty which was a copy of the i3 NUC, had an internal PSU and came with a 256GB SSD and 4GB RAM I would order the gently caress out of it. Nobody needs an optical drive, it's just another moving part to break.

Yeah. We buy PCs from a small company that builds us Shuttles with everything we want at prices not far from buying everything yourself.

That means getting a machine with an i3 and SSD for reasonable money. It's exactly what you need, and Dell are still ballsing this key point up. No, my desktops where all the data is stored over the network do not need 500GB slow as poo poo drives, Dell.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I have a Server 2012 box on which I am domain admin yet any time I try to do anything, as simple as copying a file to the server, I get access denied. Why? Please fix this, I don't want to.

Wild guess: UAC disabled?

I believe the default behaviour after UAC was disabled changed dramatically from 7 to 8, to silently fail when an event that would normally trigger UAC was encountered, as opposed to succeed.

That could be bollocks though, since come to think of it, I've never tested that scenario myself.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Lum posted:

edit: ^^^ Should have just said "plays videos and music" rather than "media".

A company car came in...

So our new corporate overlords are apparently more generous on company cars than the old lot. Under the old lot I could only get a poverty-spec Ford Focus hatchback.

Under the new owners I've managed to order myself a Focus estate (wagon) 1.6 Econetic Titanium in ink blue, with all the important toys like cruise control, AC and climate control, and because the CO2 is lower I pay less company car tax too, which should gain me £30 a month. Being a wagon means I can throw my partner's wheelchair in the back without disassembling it, which is a huge plus for me.

Actually quite happy with the new company at the moment, even if they did gently caress up the car ordering portal for 2 weeks meaning I could only choose 1 litre 3 cyl microcars.

Ok I realise this post is a bit more AI than SH/SC but it's related to my job and I'm actually happy for once.

It should look similar to this one, same colour and everything, and this pic shows why I'm so happy about being able to get the estate instead of the hatchback. According to the book it does 75mpg. Real world testing puts that at more like 55. I'm happy with that since the only costs I have to worry about is company car tax and fuel for personal use.

Nice estate. Always think they look better the saloon or hatches to be honest, and you gain all that space! (Have an Astra H estate myself).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

less than three posted:

poo poo currently pissing me off:

Time to buy some new desktops!

Use case? Word, Excel, Internet Explorer.

I spec: Core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD.
I receive: Core i7. 8GB RAM, 1TB 5400rpm HD.

The processor and ram don't matter because the HD chokes everything, can't even run Windows Update and another program at the same time. :argh:

Yeah, I'm not sure why SSDs aren't standard these days, most people aren't heavy on the CPU. Yet everyone still wants to sell you large and useless HDDs.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

He's an embedded hardware engineer. :smith:

What the hell? He's the type of guy you'd expect to understand those concepts

vv Sorry, I had too much faith

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 2, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

vibur posted:

Someone with a sense of irony?

Thing pissing me off the day after an Office 2013 install - constant bitching from purchasing agent about how she doesn't like "the new email" because it doesn't work and it's all different.

It would loving work if you would loving turn off loving caps lock when you loving type your loving password in.

No, that would require them to think for themselves, as opposed to immediately blaming someone else because a problem HAS to always be caused by a change!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, I actually really hate the native app, or at least the one Verizon puts on the phone. I just think of the Gmail app as the "native" at this point :v:

I use AquaMail. By far the nicest when I was going through email clients. I think it supports Exchange now, but I only use IMAP. Then again, I don't use Gmail.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

BYOD - Sure, fine. No subsidy - Go eat a bag of dicks.

Your employer should supply you with the tools you need to do your job. If they expect you to use your private phone for work without compensating you for it then just treat it as if you didn't have a phone at all.

Yeah, having to use your personal phone (which could be remote-wiped by Exchange) for work use with no compensation is pretty ridiculous.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Swink posted:

It has come! After an eon of searching, our people can finally find peace.

Clean up the WinSXS directory on Server2008R2:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfepl...new-update.aspx

(does the linked script not work for anyone else, despite definitely having the update installed?) :suicide:

Jesus, what kind of round-about poo poo is this? Install the desktop experience so you can run disk cleanup?

Why don't they just make Disk Cleanup part of the update?

What the hell does Ink and handwriting have to do with this? Now and again you see something that makes you realise how much of a fragile mess Windows is.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 15, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

You see, Brian over there has 37 pieces of flair. If you only want to do the bare minimum, that's 15. But Brian has 37. Okay?

Why don't you just make 37 the minimum?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Loten posted:

How does this make you guys feel?

#edit no idea why that image attachment didn't work.

Someone running from one end of a building to another with a 500MB USB stick?

I can't think of anything else that's that appalling.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

We're still going to use Paychex, just not the timeclock portion. :psyduck:

Here's what the new program looks like

The instruction book has screenshots from Windows 98

Jesus Christ, did they find the software in a dusty unopened cupboard?

Just think, someone, somewhere, their job is to develop that archaic mess.

Although apparently nobody's job to update documentation.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Moey posted:

What kind of feature set are you requiring?

I rolled an openfire server here and deployed out Spark to the workstations. Works for basic chat.

OpenFire and Spark is what I'd have suggested initially. It may well not be the best, but at least if it doesn't work out, you didn't spend money on it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

09:45 - filling out stupid time form
09:46-49 - working
09:50 - filling out stupid time form

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

What hilarious socialist land is this? Some Scandinavian paradise where summer is only 4.5 weeks long and people kill themselves if they're forced to work during one season where 80% of the sunlight received annually actually occurs?

Sounds about right for Norway.

Then again, I'm sure Danes also get a summer holiday.

The whole thing is such a pleasing yet quaint concept.

Having holiday time off is a must if you actually want to visit the shops though, everything is closed all the time when you might have the time to do it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

So the mdb file of a 90s software was corrupted after a pc freeze. poo poo happens, w/e, put the file from 2011 in since thats on the pc so they can use the attached device again. I suggested to maybe get the company to look at the file since what was recoverable with ontrack is not functional. Instead, my senior coworker asked me to look at the 2011 file (which our access cant even open anymore) and just fix the recovered one. All my attempts to tell him that I wont reverse engineer this database or software were ignored, just "figure it out".
Tried to install office 2k3, no license key around. I feel like I already did too much, if there arent any backups of this, tough luck. Apparently the department lost the printout ( which after being scanned is the legal archive format for this old system, only newer systems are digitally archived.) I cant magically reappear 1/3 of this file.

I magically found a database earlier when it turned up in some dfsr hidden folders, nobody claimed to have deleted it

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

VodeAndreas posted:

I think it started with with Office 2007 alongside Windows Vista... So yeah it's been a while.

Not to mention you could still open Office Open XML files in 2003 with a free compatibility pack from Microsoft.

I'd say it's completely reasonable by now to use it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Never Twice the Same Colour

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 31, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

spog posted:

I actually quite like Barclays for continuing to support old formats:

It also makes me sad that Money is no more.

Microsoft did release a post-support version of Money, which requires no codes or activation of any kind. So really, it's around as long as you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Also, I think the hair looks fine, but go to a barber/stylist to trim your beard/hair.

Yeah, to be honest, it's the facial hair that makes the appearance lean towards untidy rather than the hair.