Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

Thermal printers. Over serial.

Specifically, Zebra printers.

gently caress Zebra printers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I should read this thread more often, I thought Dick Trauma had disappeared from the ticket thread.

Congrats on your new job Dick! I'm glad to see you in a new position, one that you (hopefully) deserve and will (hopefully) keep for many years.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

peeNamaste posted:

Part two
Hey peen are you free on thursday?
Well I have one meeting, with you. What's up?
I need you to take over this call for me. It'll only take a few minutes.
Okay sure.
Okay. I introduced you to the person. You now have 2 calls on wednesday with them, and the one on thursday for you to manually QA their site, because I don't have time.
:suicide:
I fell into the trap.

"You never mentioned anything about Wednesday. I'm all tied up. Sorry, can't help".

Or just a simple "gently caress no i didn't agree to that".

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
poo poo not pissing me off: my vacation

About the wfh stuff, I have 2 days that I can work from home each week, but my boss and I have a mutual understanding that I'll float my wfh days for whenever I need them. Usually when I'm expecting a package to be delivered or something.

That and Christmas. Best time to wfh since nothing is happening.

I guess I just like going into the office v:shobon:v

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

TeMpLaR posted:

Just got my first do the needful email!

Welcome to the big boys club. Your membership T-shirt is in the mail

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Jim posted:

Now how much longer until our Lync is replaced with Skype for Business I have no idea.

To be fair, never, because it's the exact same product with a different name :v:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

:gonk:

yeah, nah, gently caress that

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You know what pisses me off daily? There's nowhere near my office that's good to go to for lunch.

Burger joint we used to go to for lunch near work closed down. No one is in the mood for burgers anymore because they were the only decent place within walking distance.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

Serious Eats has some great "instant" noodles recipes. They're all pretty great (and healthy).

THANK YOU! I've been looking for this for ages!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Crowley posted:

I bring lunch to work every single day. It's far easier for me to control my calorie intake by (politely) refusing anything people bring into the office and only eat what I bring.

I allow myself 2 cheat days (non-home food prepared days) during the week: Friday and one day on the weekend. Otherwise I'm always making my own food at home. Eating out gets expensive after a while.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

topenga posted:

IBM does it. Better machines than full time developers, even. Don't you want to be like IBM? Every one wants to be like IBM.

Fun thing. When I worked for IBM in the past, they were suppose to give me an older laptop to work on, but I ended up getting a new one because they had run out of machines to hand out. The laptop I got was suppose to go to someone else.

Luckily they didn't mind. Guy was cool.

It does feel weird, though, getting a brand new machine on your first week of the job.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My company uses IE9 (soon to be 11) by default. We only use Firefox, strictly, for maybe 1 or 2 other applications, and that's it. Everything else is IE or bust.

That doesn't stop people from openly installing Chrome, Firefox, Opera, or any other browser, and then accidentally making it the default browser, and them screaming "WHY DOES THIS NOT WORK THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION!!!"

I understand the reason, and why he would need to find a justification. If the environment doesn't need Chrome, and your IT policies say otherwise, then there's no need for it.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
"I'm a consultant"

Oh really? What do you do as a consultant?

"Consult, consultanty things, you know, the usual".

I never tell anyone I work in IT anymore. Saves me so much headache.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I give thanks every day that most of my friends are in IT, and if there's a problem they always call my buddy first - he enjoys tinkering and gets a kick out of helping people. Plus he's like the IT Buddha - nothing can crack his serenity (I've tried, but the fucker pisses me off instead).

To be fair I do like helping people. There are some people I'll help no problem, I just don't want to make a habit of it. I don't want, say, my landlord, or when I meet new people, to be asking me to fix their computer. Luckily, there's enough nerds out there nowadays that almost everyone knows someone who can fix something.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

K I will do monday (tuesday, we are off monday). Me in space dandy (everything but the wig because that is hot as gently caress).

Didn't I already send you a pic of the PSG cosplayers I work with?

:toxx:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Goddamnit, when I tell the boss "Hey, my wife is having brain surgery for a tumor in July, I need a week off" the proper response is "I'm sorry to hear that" not "That is a really inconvenient time."

Nor is it appropriate to suggest that I drop my vacation in favor of taking that time off, just because they're somewhat close together. They're only two weeks combined, total.

Seriously pissing me off.

How inconvenient of my wife to have brain surgery at such an inconvenient time for you. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, as this inconvenience is simply inconvenient to all parties.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Watch this one like a hawk. Grow eyes in the back of your head. Make sure she's the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

It's hard to organize a revolution when I'm distracted by a literal punchbowl full of mini dark chocolate KitKats in the kitchen.

Send some my way as tribute to my patience

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
poo poo pissing me off: Guy at our desk loves to hoard lockout tickets. I've told him "update it with all the information the Helpdesk needs to fix the issue themselves, then route it back", but nope, he wants to take care of all the precious little babies all by himself.

Over half the tickets we're investigating root causes for are assigned to him.

There are other tickets that need to be handled for fucks sake.

MJP posted:

I will take them off your hands, green tea Kit Kats are the poo poo.

Oh no you don't, I got there first!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

People who don't email back are cocksuckers.

To be fair, I've been handling an escalation for the past 2 months where we've told the guy at least 10 times "this is not our issue, the issue is with the vendor end, contact them", and they STILL insist that it's a problem on our end.

I've stopped responding to those e-mail because gently caress you if you don't listen to me the first goddamn time.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've been working for my company for 5 years. I'm thinking it's about time to move, but oh god I'm overly paranoid of things going horribly wrong.

I'm not in a great financial situation either, so if something does go wrong then I'm hosed.

Someone I know may have a job lined up for me if I do decide. Decent pay, no having to do night shift, and on call once a month. Sounds great, but again, no backup plan if it goes south.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

Make sure you have your decoder ring first. (there was some old 90s PC game that had a decoder ring for copy protection, wasn't there?)

Help us! We are being held captive by ScumSoft on the small moon of Pestulon. An inpenetrable force field surrounds the moon. It must first be deactivated. It's origin is unknown to us. ScumSoft security is armed with Jello Pistols. We're counting on you whoever you are.

Two Guys In Trouble

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I walked into a job interview once for a company that basically spidered company websites, put their company up on some advertising front for a year, then at the end of the year, contacted accounting and was like "Hey, we've been advertising your company on our website but your 'subscription' is running out, would you like to continue advertising with us for $400/yr?"

Was shady as poo poo and looked like the office could be closed out and disappear overnight. They wanted me to work for them, I told them "yeah I'm not comfortable with this, later".

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Westie posted:

Is wanting to fall asleep for the entire day an acceptable use of work time? I don't get this place. There's something about it that just makes me want to sleep. When I get to work I'm full of energy, when I leave I'm full of energy, but this place... it just wants to make me sleep. All day loving long.

This happens to me too, but for me it's because I fall asleep in temperature controlled environments.

Air conditioning puts me to sleep. No matter where I am. As long as I'm in a stationary position for an extended period of time.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The only important thing you should add to your signature is BSc SSc

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

And set a reminder in your calendar to seal that drive plate.

Gazpacho soup!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

They fired my temp. Hallelujah. :dance:

Of course this now means I might have to be taking calls while I'm sitting on a beach on my day off tomorrow (my birthday) but I'm not even mad.

Going to be hard to take calls when you're swimming in the ocean pretending not to be a seal

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

They didn't even offer me a counter offer. :smith: I expressed that I was concerned with moving to SoCal because of the company burning cash, and all i got was just a bunch of "Well we have contracts coming soon" and "our industry is growing!"

I am giving my two weeks later today. :yotj:

Good poo poo either way.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

It wasn't an office wide advisory, it was a direct message from our HR VP to cut it out. We call her "The Reaper" because she never gets involved in most things here unless someone's getting fired or we're encroaching on a terminable offense.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that I did all the groundwork getting approvals from the building management company and working on the reasonable assumption that if I could get it under my desk I could keep it like all the other stupid stuff we have here.

Get the approvals again and e-mail her back. She's just made this policy up right there and then and told you to stop it. If she makes a fuss, e-mail it to her boss and tell her the policy is absolute bs.

If everything is fine with the building code, and everything is fine with other company policies, and she feels it could be used as a weapon, start asking if you should leave other poo poo at home because it could be used as a weapon. I could certainly use my work laptop, or monitor, for example, as a weapon. What about my water bottle, or my mug, or a pen?

This is a stupid policy made up by some stupid higher up because she feels inconvenienced for some stupid reason. Call her out on her bs.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Using Sharepoint as a AS/400 front end is a great idea!

:suicide:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Agrikk posted:

So is it:

Jail time and then a career in printers.

A career in printers then jail time.

?

I feel that one is penance for the other, so take your pick.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Finster Dexter posted:

On my last day (this Fri) I'm totally sending an email to the "ALL EMPLOYEES" email list.

In the smallest font possible, in the same colour as the background, add something like "9/11 was an inside job", then ask someone later if anyone saw the secret message.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
poo poo pissing me off: People scheduling meetings before I actually start work, even after constantly telling them "I don't start until 8am EST".

I also have the first 15mins of my day blocked out so I can take care of any urgent issues early, but nope, people still schedule meetings during that period as well.

Please learn how to schedule meetings people.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So I mentioned to my manager if they could try to not scheduled meetings before I start as it makes it hard for me to get to them, and they were all cool with it.

So instead they scheduled a 1hr meeting with a whole bunch of people at a time where I have another 1hr meeting.

For fucks sake.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm horribly tempted to enable "Decline meetings that conflict with others" just to piss someone else off for a change.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

J posted:

Meetings are hard.

Apparently so, but this isn't even for a meeting room. This is a web meeting. A meeting that they can go in, check who's available at what time, and schedule.

What's so hard about that?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
poo poo pissing me off:

WINDOWS

loving

Yeah, my computer just got the goddamn reboot bug. Apparently it didn't decide to download the fixed version of the update, and went with the old version.

I'm currently in safe mode, trying to get the most recent version of the patch, but nope, Windows Update just wants to sit there with its goddamn loving thumb up its rear end and do gently caress all.

And I have no restore points because I'm goddamn retarded.

And before anyone asks, there are no corrupted profiles in the list. There are only 4: 3 system, and mine.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not to mention how loving hard it is to get into safemode on this version

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

Not any worse than windows 8

At least Win8 didnt require me to fix a hosed up patch, one which I cant fix, and now need to reinstall Win8 to fix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Why the gently caress does Microsoft's media creation tool ONLY let you download the type of OS generation you currently have?

My x64 backup of the install for Win8 went awol, so I had to download it on my tablet... Which is x86

I only found out after installing it that the MCT created the x86 boot disk and there's no way to loving download the x64 version without going to dodgy sites. I'm currently using my work laptop to download it, and I'll be drat near lucky if ITSec don't message me on Monday asking why I was using unencrypted USB devices on our machines.

I'm sorry, I know this is a personal home issue, but this is something really pissing me off.

For fucks sake Microsoft, this is the stupidest poo poo. Get your shut together ffs.