Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Ursine Asylum posted:

Bastard, I capped at 168.

e: aha!

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Is anyone familiar with AWS here? I'm pulling my hair trying to bring up a simple mumble VoiP server, but I cannot get any clients to connect. The service is listening on the default port, and I have the port open in iptables as well as in the EC2 security group assigned to the instance. I even tried scanning it with nmap and it is saying the port is filtered. 22 is open for SSH, and I was able to open ICMP via the security group as well and it is replying back to pings just fine. Am I missing something obvious here?

EDIT: I even installed lynx and and went to canyouseem.org and it confirms it cannot see through the port.

The Third Man fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 30, 2013

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

quote=!edit

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

EDIT: loving phone, jesus...

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

evol262 posted:

Can you telnet to whatever port Mumble runs from the host itself? What's your security group rule? 64738 TCP/UDP?

I cannot telnet to 64738, and yes, the rules in the security group are custom TCP/UDP rules 0.0.0.0/0 to 64738. I verified with netstat that murmurd is listening on 64738 as well. I also just created a fresh RHEL instance, with a new security group using identical settings, and canyouseeme.org still cannot see 64738, with the reason ":No route to host". It does see SSH running on 22 though...

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

evol262 posted:

If you're on the EC2 console, can you "telnet localhost 64738"? Is it listening when you take AWS security groups out of the equation?

I can telnet to localhost 64738 from the EC2 console. I even tried adding rules to the group to allow ALL TCP/ALL UDP and it still did not work. I can't help but feel I'm missing something incredibly obvious here...I've done this before and never had any trouble opening up ports.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

evol262 posted:

netstat -anp

See if it's listening on all interfaces or just localhost.

Here's the output, but I'm not familiar enough with netstat to really know what I'm looking for:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=wstPRWCV

EDIT: The only local address that are listening on 64738 are represented as ": : : 64738", does that mean it's only listening for IPv6 connections?

The Third Man fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 30, 2013

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

SolTerrasa posted:

Are you sure you actually set those rules, though? I used to work for that team at Amazon, I've seen a billion people add security rules through the console then not click the completely-offscreen-even-on-a-1080p-monitor "apply" button which is hidden by a nigh-invisible scrollbar in that shithole of a web UI.

(can you guess what's pissing me off?)

I have applied the rules, yes.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

evol262 posted:

iptables -L ?

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=EurupkMV

Rules are in there twice for some reason, I must have added them again earlier when I was trying to figure out why things weren't working.

Negromancer posted:

^^^ I believe that is correct. I would just disabled ipv6, it usually just messes everything up.

First, turn off iptables on the instances, its just gonna screw you up. Are you running in the "classic" ec2 or in the new forced VPC setup? If your in a VPC, you have to allow in and outbound rules, but ec2 is just inbound restricted.

This is an ec2 instance, and stopping iptables did not help.

EDIT: what the christ stopping iptables again for shits and now it's working :psyduck:

I don't know what the gently caress, but thanks for helping my troubleshoot this, I feel like I learned a lot but I'm still somehow an idiot... I had those rules in the iptables input chain this whole time, is there something in there that was loving this all up? Are iptables chains read from top to bottom like an acl? If so, why the hell wouldn't new rules be added to the top of the chain?

The Third Man fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

evol262 posted:

"iptables -I" inserts in the beginning. "iptables -A" appends to the end. You get the option. And you can insert at an arbitrary line if you really need to (you probably don't). "service iptables save" will dump rules in /etc/sysconfig/iptables (and somewhere in /etc on debian) which does nothing but write rules to a file. iptables-restore executes them. You can check iptables-save and iptables-restore (which should be plain-jane scripts, but depends on your distro) to see where it sticks them, then edit that file willy-nilly if you don't want to muck with adding rules one by one...

This is what I get for mindlessly copy-pasting commands from the install guide :downs:

I'll chock it up as a learning experience... Thanks again for your help.