Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
We bought 365 recently. Imagine my disappointment when I realized onedrive was garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
We have a database application with a frontend that doesnt do any validation. So records get added every day required data missing. Important poo poo like client email and address.

Each week, a member of staff gets a report of all the records that were are missing data. She highlights the missing element on a piece of paper and sends it to the person who added the record so they can add the missing details.

Now the normal thing to do would be add form validation but because we are here, in this thread, we can't do that. Instead we want to blast the input user with an email as soon as the record is added.

Before we go any further, yes I know this is stupid. However this is the world and the office that we live in.

On SQL Server 2008, what can I use to detect when a record has been added, and validate what data is present\absent in the relevant tables? Is this idea so bad that it's worth telling management that it cannot be done?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

dissss posted:

Really this (and the 30 copies of the same data) cannot be solved without changing user habits.

So you're saying it's impossible?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

dissss posted:

Possible? Sure

Worthwhile? Absolutely not.

I was more suggesting that our staff are untrainable which is why I'm going down this rabbit hole.

The thing is, we don't even analyze the data. We spent so many manhours chasing people and getting the details but management don't see value in analyzing what we collect.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
What part of 'test this before you leave' do you not understand?

Good job leaving the building with the entire sites' phones offline. I'll just fix it up 6 hours later.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
We're being sold a distributed scanning workflow application. The only technical person on the vendor side I've spoken to recommends running the three nodes on three Intel NUCs. In our DC. This is their suggestion. This is what they want us to do.

There have been several delays in getting the software. Why? Oh we get a lot of excuses. The real reason? The software is not complete yet. Its not finished. We are customer uno. We're going to pay for the piviledge of beta testing this poo poo.

Oh but they're throwing in three NUCs and their load balancer(what?) for free!

"Why NUCs?" My colleague asked. Well because the dev team only has a crappy slow VMware enviroment "Not production class", and they got better performance on the NUCs than on their loving test environment.

So naturally I dont want it to go ahead, but my boss has been promising this project to higher ups for months and we havent delivered. So we'll just push ahead into the literal unknown with this software and these NUCs and see what the gently caress happens. Good God.

The last chance: Can anyone recommend software for one-touch scanning to PDF from Toshiba copiers. Integrating with Papercut. Save me.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
The kofax website is intimidating. But thanks.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

My mom's office uses a Windows server farm that everyone RDPs into to do pretty much all of their work. Some of the software she needs doesn't work on some of the servers, so I set her up some shortcuts that connect directly to specific servers via IP. Did I just create a "poo poo that pisses me off" thing for her IT guy?

If your mums IT dept has an issue, she can reply by saying 'fix your poo poo'.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
On Asana: "I'm no good with technology"

It is not technology, it's a product. Like a microwave. You can reheat pizza without being a physicist, you can add and complete a task without being a goddamn computer scientist.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
We use asana to move an item between stages. For example, to bill a client we have a gargantuan 50 step process. So a clients bill will move through Asana 'sections' during its life and only be marked complete when the bill is paid (a million days later. )

I personally use it as a big todo list. I only really use it so I know how to support the teams that rely on it. I find the interface sluggish since the upgrade, they have said they're working on that issue.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

nitrogen posted:

We use Asana here and its awesome. Check it out. It's cancelled four weekly meetings by allowing people to see whats up.

Using asana necessitated an additional meeting for asana related chit chat. Can you loving imagine what that's like?

We're starting to use Slack. I can't wait to see what bullshit comes from that.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Cisco VPN and shrewsoft are for IPSEC vpns. You need to configure a nice SSL VPN and switch to anyconnect. It owns bones.

I fought with shrewsoft for months but now those connection problems and annoying error messages are a distant memory

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Signing into Microsoft sites 3 times in a row to access a tech net article

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
A lot of our installed applications are replaced with web apps so the Win10 build I'm preparing has virtually nothing installed.

Complaints of 'this app doesn't work' have been replaced with 'what's my login for X?'

Hint: it's the same login for literally everything. What is the matter with you?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
You never realize how many variations of PDF elements exist until you deploy something that can't render half of them.

#nuance

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
The printers and devices list takes loving forever to display printers in Windows 8 and 10. Why is this? Is it the Toshiba Universal driver?

I've got staff asking me why we're even bothering to upgrade, given that Win7 was so stable. I dont really have an answer for them.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I'm working on implementing basic change management in my dept. are those irrelevant questions just a symptom of beaurocracy where every box has to be ticked?

What I'm really asking is, how do you do change management right, without giving everyone the shits?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I'm getting those win10 auto updates. It's not respecting the WSUS settings. I hate it.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Through trial and error I concluded that that is the only way to do it.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Because the users don't know any better.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm attempting to evaluate Intune for managing our users Windows 10 Pro laptops to decide if it combined with Azure AD join gives us enough control / ability to push nice things to machines or if we need to look into DirectAccess with 10 Enterprise and keep everything on the domain.

I cannot find a way to use the new Office 365-integrated control panel in Windows 10. It won't load in Chrome or Edge because it wants IE. If I use IE 11 it wants Silverlight, which is apparently already installed. What a piece of poo poo.

I don't have anything to add but I'm interested in your experience with AzureAD and Intune.
I really want it to be good but I sorta think it's gonna need 5 years before its usable as a legit replacement for onprem AD.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
^ I'm in my civvies, got my backpack and sunnies on. Walking briskly towards the exit, I hear "before you go, how do I print a zip file?"

I could pretend I don't hear them. I could just run for it.

It's useless. They have me. God drat.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
We have that same list for our company. However we hire for 'fit'. The person who fits best with a bunch of dinosaurs is another dinosaur.

The company has no IT competency, it's expected that the IT dept somehow bridges the gap by delivering.... Something.

I'll let you guys know when I figure out what it is.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
So apparently group policy is not supported on the non-ProPlus installs of Office365.

I'm seeing this in action, only half of the policies I set actually apply.

How the am I supposed to manage 200 installs of Office?

Is this a supreme 'gently caress you' to small shops or am I missing something?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Visibility on your projects is important. The tool might help there. You're going to have to make people aware that the new project they want done is at the bottom of the list of existing stuff.

I had that same problem: anyone can rock up with work and I just have to do it. I voiced concern to my manager. Then I quit.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Hah yeah it's super third world over here buddy. I gotta hunt my own whales to keep my lamps burning.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I'd point the camera to a picture of me flipping the bird.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
We have the thing where you tap your credit card on the machine and it beeps and you take your liquor and go.

Chips are oldscool.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I learned a while back that sometimes business doesn't care if things are happening in the most efficient manner, as long as they happen and the staff doing the thing clocks their 40 hours without causing a fuss.

Money still gets made. Wheels still turn.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Pipe a digest message to Slack via a web hook.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Just let it go man

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Can anyone recommend a USB boardroom style mic for a rectangular room of around 15-20 people? We're currently using the JABRA 510 (http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-SPEAK-5...4bbd47326fdedc8) but the CEO is saying it doesn't cut it.

Something flashy with little satellite mics would be good.

Things I hate: Boardroom AV.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I can't afford your company so I gotta solve the problem by buying something that works ok and but most importantly looks impressive

Swink fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 16, 2016

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Did they offer you a job in sales?

:golfclap:

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Someone snapshotted and reverted a domain controller.

Dfsr is uber hosed.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Haha us IT people reckon we've got it tough. Try med school.

Gods speed!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I do that. I'm a terrible person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Today I realised our "Guest WiFi"is just WiFi on our subnet, named 'guest'.

Now I'm a bit of a network dunce, I have a Draytek Vigor 2960 gateway and a spare Cisco RV220W Firewall that I can use as a radio. Can I break those two things onto their own VLAN to create an isolated network that only have access to the web?