Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Can't use any software that's not already on your machine. Open Source software is a security and legal liability.

No notepad++ for you. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'd honestly reply to DickTramua's email with "Yes and one million dollars".

Am I the only goon that works on AS/400s? I'm sick of having work with SYSVAL, WRKOUTQ, STRPRTWRT, Fix Central, PTFs... :suicide:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Why does anyone use desktop shortcuts or the start menu when you may easily press the Windows Key and type for whatever you're looking, hit enter and it'll load?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

It's probably marginal, but isn't there a slowdown when you start typing HorseCocks.exe and Windows starts searching for programs/applications?

Sort of, but I think it's commonly used or just recently installed it'll show up right away. I have seen some really weird behavior where it won't pick up things like Internet Explorer, Word for 20-30 secs despite working previously but once that times has elapsed will work perfectly.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

This poo poo is what makes me turn on cruise control and stop giving a poo poo about my job performance. Oh you don't care? Me either haha.

:lol:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

C'mon dude, you know it's true.

Oh no, I agree 100% I just never though of it as cruise control. This is also occurred to me in the past.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I left an incredibly laidback unix app administration gig for a MSP/VAR specializing in Midrange computing. It was good bump in pay, no more on-call and general further career progression. Unknown at the time, my hire was done to meet specific business partner requirements. To maintain contractual agreements you have to have a tech with specific skills, certifications and their previous tech abruptly put in his notice. I was supposed to be shadowing him but the training was incredibly rushed and our first install nearly a disaster. Initially, I was extremely hesitant touch anything despite enormous pressure from my manager.

With patience, pushing back and some incredibly helpful and sympathetic fellow admins I've managed to keep my head above water. We also, surprisingly didn't have many projects as expected and other general admin work I could participate in. About a few months ago, bigger projects came up and I told my supervisor it's not happening. He said he understood but training would have to wait until next year. I spoke to him about it a few weeks ago and I was told this part of the business isn't doing well, the remaining work will be outsourced therefore training me isn't required but I'd still be able to remain employed but without any explanation as to why it was needed.

To make matters worse, the more I look at the situation in retrospect I'm certain the company knew this part of the business was declining but gambled with my hiring. I've heard there's restructuring in the coming months and without real training I don't have a good out.

:smithicide:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Holy gently caress, where do you live? I would bounce immediately that's poo poo pay.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

That's the only reason I haven't straight walked yet is I am learning quite a lot rather fast, turning that into a real job before I burn myself out is the trick I think.

That's a decent plan, get the experience, finish some projects then bounce.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

May employers legally cut your pay without notice or consent?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

A few years before I got here the help desk manager told the CEO's admin assistant to put in a ticket for something. She got pissed said she what she needed was important and basically tattled on him to the CEO. He was fired that day.

This is the most dysfunctional thing I've ever heard.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Some one needs to grow a spine and stand up to the sales people or it will turn into Wolf of Wall Street/Enron.

Sales are like frat bros, no doesn't mean no it means try harder.

You need to take a leaf out of their book when it comes to laying down professional standards while making it look like you guys are pulling for the team.

Tell them you are only staffed for a 4 week turnaround until you can get some more warm bodies but being the team player you will pull out the stops, put other projects on hold to get them the 2 week turnaround. If they want it quicker you can do that but you will need to get some temps in that are not in the budget yet so it will cost their department $X per urgent setup. Make it sound like you are doing everything you can with what you have got but you just don't have it. Provide solutions to the issue so it's sales who sound like the assholes.

I don't like this strategy, I love it.

For whatever reason, the IT Department is powerless to the demands of other departments. Pushing back doesn't work so instead re-frame it and say "We can't get the Sales IT Project done because Marketing IT Projects have been escalated."

Pin other departments against each other and maybe they'll get a clue your understaffed.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

She then said "We know people at your old place so of course we're going to call them and find out everything about you." Fantastic. I countered by saying I experienced the same thing when I left the prior employer, since the CEO's of the old and new companies knew each other. She asks me "What are they going to tell me?" I talked about the recommendations on my Linkedin profile that emphasized my responsiveness and experience. Then she says "I want to assure you we know people over there, so we're going to be hearing the full deal so what are they going to tell me?"

Heh.

There is such a thing for asking as too much and I honestly would have said that "Well, my boss would not the best but the greatest System Administrator on the face of the entire planet and there is no one better than I." or some other some such nonsense.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

5er posted:

I should have amplified my previous post with how most of the time I get that question about RAID units, it is preceded or followed immediately by a roll of all their computery credentials. MCSE, Certified Apple genius, Cisco admin, Mensa membership, Church of Satan Society of Network Admins, etc et al, and how they were programming in COBOL when I was still sucking on a tit for nourishment. I've learned that the more credentials someone lashes to their opinions of how they know right what the problem is, or how incompetent the helpdesk person is, the more wrong and irrecoverably stupid that person genuinely is.

This is a five-star post.

Thanks,

Tab8715
Junior System Support Midrange Analyst IV
<2-Year Degree><Cert1><Cert2><Cert3><CompletlyUnheardofCert>

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Making or taking a call while using the restroom is pretty goddamn gross.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Law Enforcement getting away with murder or manslaughter has little to do with Unions and hell of a lot more to do with internal procedures, existing laws and the court system.

Yea, if Unions exist there will inevitably be abuse but that's a ridiculous argument.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

e: For some real content - why are people so upset that you'd confirm their access to something, like it's a trust issue? I would say this has happened and honest 10+ times in my life - someone will email me something directly, "hey Stripe can you give me access to X?", and instead of granting access, I loop in the person whose problem X is, "hey do you mind if Dave can RDP into X?" - why is that something to take offense to? Should you be surprised that the person who decides whether you have access to something is not yourself?

Personally, I wouldn't care but I could see someone taking offense as this paints them as untrustworthy. If anything, I'd tell everyone access requests need to go directly to whomever authorizes it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is TrendMicro really that worthless for AV or is something terribly wrong elsewhere?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Most techs don't know about MAPT

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What the hell? You just instantly went from Saturday to Monday?

Couldn't the same behavior occur with a GPS unit?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

And 5 other names for the iSeries that they had for what seemed like 3 months then dropped :v:

Ugh, its one of the most bizarre IBM decisions. At least with Windows you still have Windows then a suffix of 3.1, NT, 95, 89, etc

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

$product-name-this-week

Here's a good rundown. The left is hardware and the right software we could even throw in a little System 32/36 if you really wanted.

AS/400 - OS/400
iSeries or eServer iSeries
System i - i5/OS
Power Systems - IBM i

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

If you want job security, learn Cobol, OS/400 and/or a mainframe system. Those systems will be around until the heat death of the universe because of how risk averse businesses that use them are and will rather pump millions into keeping the old, tried and tested systems running than chance replacing them.

Yes and no.

With the market and solutions available it's an acceptable time to at least consider moving off Midrange. I know of few companies that are booked for years to pick through COBOL and re-write it in .net or alternatively just get your midrange environment hosted and it's someone else's responsibility to maintain.

One of the biggest drawbacks is unlike literally every other technology company Midrange resources and training are behind lock and key. There's no Sybex, CBT Nuggets or SA Midrange thread but there is a mailing list! If you want to truly know what you're doing you need to shell out $4-$5k to an IBM Training Partner.

You'll also need your own lab and you can't spin up a midrange vm on your laptop.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

That's true- And probably also why IBM themselves have been pushing just running Linux or AIX on the same Power midrange hardware. I don't really mind the i5/OS though personally. It's pretty damned easy to pick up so long as you aren't terrified of command lines or something. Even if you are (you bad) there's the GUI based iseries access stuff as well, even though it's not super great. And it has plenty of sysadmin/usability/automation tools built in. I'm a pretty big fan of the ability to trivially dump the output of all sorts of commands right to database tables, it makes some stuff that takes more effort on a windows environment much less hassle.

AIX and IBM i are both legacy but IBM says it isn't because linux and windows are old too :rolleyes:.

IBM is pushing Linux On Power and Power KVM excruciatingly hard. For those that still have a Midrange environment but also want to use Linux that's where things like Power VM comes into play and involves the whole plethora of PowerHA, PowerVP, Power<$thing>.

I've managed to teach myself a lot with just Knowledge Center but it's still exceedingly difficult compared to every other technical product.

Aunt Beth posted:

It's funny, the OS on the 400 went from OS/400 to i5/OS to just IBMi. It's fun when someone mentions "iOS" and you have to listen for context to know whether they're talking about their phone or their server.

It's annoying as all hell and makes googling problems even more difficult.

EDIT: Depending on your definition, IBMi may or may not be legacy.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 17, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dispatched to a client site to move around a few workstations. Second I arrive two co-workers immediately start arguing over who gets which computer and eventually all I need to do is move Bill's profiles from A to B and re-install Windows on A.

I move the profile over and I take a peak as to what's actually on A. There's a ton of documents, user data, programs and I get a feeling this is a bad idea. I bring this up with Bob and he tells me don't worry about it, there's a bunch of old programs, tons of previous employees have used it. He just wants it cleared and he'll restore the important stuff just get it up and running. I triple-check, he says go for it and I blow away the machine.

The next morning I get a call, I go on-site and a user is missing data. I tell Bob he told me yesterday that he told me to delete everything and he'd complete the rest. He replies "Yea, I told you reformat it, restore the data for Tom's profile and I'd put the programs back on."

:bang:

Fortunately, I saw this red flag and saved everything but IT is just annoyingly stressful.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Hah, I did the same when we decommissioned our previous file server. I get a "Ok to go, all user home directories have been migrated, just turn it off and toss the disks in the shredder".

I got a gut feeling and stuck a USB disk in the server and made a copy of all the user data just to be sure. It's saved my (and the users') rear end four times in the past two months.

For big changes you should really have a documented approval process. At my last gig we had Change Requests where techs would list steps and techs, tech leads and management would sign-off.

If something went wrong you have a trail.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evol262 posted:

You may be interested in such classic IT tales as "The Speed-Up Loop" if you think doing Daily WTF-worthy half-assing of your job to "manage expectations" is a valid or valuable strategy.

Are you referring to this? The Speed-Up Loop

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That's why I'm skeptical of positions that require references before getting an Interview or Generic HR Screen.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That sounds kind of illegal.

I know a manager made a policy at a big tech call center that everyone had to been signed in on their phones exactly at the start of their shift. If you were scheduled at 9AM you must be signed in at 9AM or prior but anytime prior the start wouldn't count on your timecard.

A bunch of employees got a lawyer and the decision was reversed.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Eargesplitten, who in God's name do you work for? Is it just me or is every hardware servicer scammy as hell?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Are you based in the United States? Depending on your financial situation I would bounce(quit), get a new job or drag your feet and once you've got a new job - bounce.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Wouldn't those expenses be tax-deductible?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The reason why things like 40-work weeks, OHSA, paid vacation, paid holidays, emergency leave, etc exist is because of unions.

Bringing unions back especially in IT would be overwhelming good thing but public opinion of them is incredibly poor. I don't know what has happened since the 20's but for whatever reason unions are largely unpopular because the free market will eliminate employee abuse and unions only protect poor employees. :rolleyes:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 11, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

psydude posted:

As a counterpoint, I do think that IT's general attitude toward rewarding competence over tenure has helped people take the field a bit more seriously and has sped the adoption of newer technologies. And while yes, everyone has worked with incompetent people who have been there forever (especially anyone who has worked in higher ed or the government), the industry still tends to reward those that know the most, or those who have kept up to date with current trends, over those who have been there a longest. Unions generally do not.

I agree that IT rewards those with competence more often than not but that never hasn't stopped a business from making incredibly stupid and immoral decisions.

Mogomra posted:

You guys realize that the last line is a joke, right?

And it wasn't funny.

lol im just kidding guys why you mad

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Piggers just lost by three points. They were winning at halftime but....

:lol:

I get weird reactions when I tell people I don't watch football, baseball or any sport.

I have one co-worker who has zero social compass. When I'm staring and leaning into my monitor an obvious indication I'm working. He will stand in my office door and begin a one-way conversation without any warning and acknowledgement from myself.

I do my best not to pay attention but the last conversation I remember was about how kids these days don't have any discipline because we're not allowed to physically smack'em when things get out of hand. :barf:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Okay everyone:

For the love of all that is good and righteous, please learn the difference between TCP and UDP.

What position are you hiring for?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

flosofl posted:

Well, I'm going to guess something infrastructure related. After that, does it matter? That's foundational knowledge. It's one of the questions in our phone screen we use in my group. We start easy with questions like that and then ramp up the difficulty and start focusing more on the technology and concepts related to the position. We never expect someone to answer all the questions, it's a good way to test the limits of their knowledge and gives us a rough idea of any gaps that will need to be addressed if hired. But if the limits are at fundamental concepts like the difference between TCP and UDP and being able to give an explanation of subnets, then we're not going to spend a lot more time on that person.

I'm not disputing that it's a bad question. It's a standard one to ask even for entry-level positions but I am curious as to what the answer he was looking for.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

slartibartfast posted:

Anybody here ever work for EPIC, the company that makes the health records software? I've heard sysadmins/helpdesk people bitching about their software in these threads, but that can be chalked up to a lot of different things. EPIC's got openings for my specialty, they pay on the high side of average, and I like WI beer, so I'm thinking about it.

Just curious if it's paradise with hookers and blow, just meh, or a complete clusterfuck.

EPIC pays well they're enormously successful medical software company but there's large amount of :sperg: to the company. Expect them to extraordinarily nitpicky when it comes to interview time but again it pays.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Old AS/400 guy did something with the iSeries last night. Bunch of tickets this morning with people having slow logins, 'Internet not working', that sort of thing. I never logged out so everything appeared fine, until I noticed I had 2 DNS servers that were public, Verizon 63.98.26.67 and something on the same subnet.

Because of the Verizon IP I assumed someone plugged a MyFi or something in somewhere, but we couldn't find one. Started a tool to look for rogue DHCP servers, and found one with some Serbian IP (109.something, /24 network mask). That's weird.

30 minutes in I asked the old guy, "Do you have DHCP running on the iSeries for some reason?"
"Well, it should be."
"No, it shouldn't. It better not. Can you check?"
"Well it needs it for the connection..." then he stumbled into his office

He never comes out with an answer, so 15 minutes later I fire up iNavigator, and sure enough there's a DHCP server running and a scope that matches the one our LAN uses, and the DNS servers are those 63.whatever IP addresses are. Mother fucker.

I stopped and disabled the server and deleted that scope. :argh:

So incompetent that he doesn't know what he's doing and so incompetent that he can't even check something I ask.

He told our receptionist to 'go have a heart attack' yesterday so I was hoping they would have fired him then.

How do you accidentally create a DHCP Server?

Either way, if I did and wanted to be a dick about I'd say something about how ole' reliable AS/400 makes a better DHCP than those Winblows boxes :dukedog:

Also, if you have software maintenance of the 400 you should be able to call IBM and ask general questions. Technically, they're only suppose to do break/fix but if your nice they'll help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Nothing complicated at all, which is why my mind is blown that people with "ten years of experience in infrastructure and network" can't even make a stab at it.

If you mention that one blasts packets and doesn't listen for a response and the other uses acknowledgements you are well on your way.

If you can tell me that TCP is more reliable than UDP because the destination acknowledges receipts, even better.

If you can tell me that UDP is more lightweight than TCP and is used in fire-and-forget communication like streaming applications, you are solid.

If you can tell me a TCP / UDP / SYN joke and tell me why its funny then we are loving done with networking fundamentals.

Then I'll switch topics on you and move to high availability, vertical/horizontal scaling, encryption in transit and at rest, databases, linux/windows operation, 3-tier architecture, etc and like I said, two in twenty will make it through to the on-site.

For those who haven't been to the SH/ST jobs thread, this is the job: Senior Cloud Technical Account Manager at Amazon Web Services. Offices in Seattle, DFW, Virginia, Boston, Ireland, Frankfurt, Japan, Australia, South Africa with 100% telecommuting an option as well.

Send me your CV to my user name at gmail.

Ah hah,

Unfortunately, I'm happy employed and completely at a loss with the rest unless you want to dive into those too? :angel: