Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

^^: Mother fucker! :argh:

teethgrinder posted:

I first got 97 and didn't realise you could do much better until you guys said that.

Just matched that. Wonder if you can get higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sirotan posted:

It was 28F when I left for work this morning, and I even had to scrape ice off my windshield. I wore a cardigan. :smug:

Some of us are not polar bears. :smith: (or seals :v:)

(I grew up in Houston, so "cold" to me is anything south of 50F. Then again, "hot" for me isn't until north of like 95F, whereas there's loads of people around here that start acting like they're dying at like 80F.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

taremva posted:

I hope it's a typo, because it looks like it's a 22hour shift, 4 days in a row for the grave shift position?

I like working crazy hours, but that is not physically possible.

I assume you start at midnight and leave at 10 AM, so ten hours a day, 4 days a week.

I used to work a schedule basically identical to that (10-8).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Moey posted:

Four 10s is the way to do it. My girlfriend is currently working that and I am insanely jealous.

Yeah, if you're going to do overnights, 4/10 is really the way to go. It gives you a day or two to actually function at normal daylight hours before you have to go back to your 3rd shift sleep schedule.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Humphreys posted:

Now this creates another issue where if I hit that 'sweet spot' of overtime hours (after my regular 40 hour week) I will actually enter the new tax bracket, and end up with LESS money than if I wasn't dedicated to the cause etc.

That's not how progressive taxation works.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

GargleBlaster posted:

Stinkray?

Don't give them ideas, or before you know it we'll have "rental" type discs that start to pong if you've had them too long.

Wasn't that what those DivX DVDs were supposed to do back when they existed?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

ESPECIALLY when there's a perfectly fine commercial grade high-output COLOR MFP not 20 steps away from the bloody room/Cube/Office/Workstation

But it's so far and I'm busy and it's not secure and look it's affecting production so I really just need a personal one :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Lum posted:

I've found that some of the more recent Canon DR drivers are missing critical files necessary for TWAIN support. If you still have the CD for that one anywhere installing their lovely CapturePerfect software fixes it.

I had the same issue with one of their all-in-one printers that have a scanner.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Lum posted:

Well, no-idea if it will work for you, but here's the package of necessary files I found so you can avoid having to install CapturePerfect

http://www.lum.co.uk/temp/DR5010c%20Missing%20Files.7z

Sweet. I eventually got it working (read: I gave up and installed CapturePerfect), but I'll keep this in mind.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sirotan posted:

nooooooooooo :qq:

RIP all those whipped llama asses

They'll pry it from my cold, dead hands. :colbert:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

MisterOblivious posted:

That's At-Will employment no matter how many times the talking heads call it right-to-work.

They're both horrible pieces of legislation, so conflating them is really not a bad thing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

pixaal posted:

It's still stupid to place your phone inside a computer case never mind close it in there.

I dunno, I've done it once when I was using it as a makeshift flashlight when I had no other alternatives at hand. v:shobon:v

edit: Putting it in a case, that is, not closing it in there.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

No, it got pulled because a goon actually took that job :haw:
(It was a real posting)

I would say that makes blackswordca's posts make a lot more sense, but he talks about a management heirarchy and that's anathemic to Rogue (as is an HR department, apparently! :v:), so that can't be it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

:stare:

Definitely drinking something hard in your honor when I get home tonight, good god.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Lum posted:

Problem with that is I never remember to turn it back up again afterwards >.<

No no, while the ringer is active, just press vol-down once. That mutes the ringer (but it keeps ringing on the caller's end) and IIRC doesn't modify your volume, either. Works fine on my Droid 4 (which last time I checked, is the same phone you use).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Looks like I need to move further south again.

It was 16F/-9C this morning in Dallas. Not much further south you can go than us...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

I got to walk to work in this.

Admittedly, my office is right across the street from where I live.

Luckily, my girlfriend was around to take me to work today, I was not looking forward to cycling to the DART station to get to work this morning.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I wear khakis willingly, I find them way more comfortable than jeans. :shobon:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, I was already replacing LogMeIn with Teamviewer for the people I support remotely (primarily my parents). Looks like I was ahead of the game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sirotan posted:

If I can get ONE person to scan it, it will be worth it...

Ahahaha, nice. See, this is a clever way to do that.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sickening posted:

Texas (DFW area)

Wife is trying to talk me out of my boat and wants to plan a trip to Europe. More money = more problems.

drat, if payday wasn't a couple of days out I'd buy you something. That post put a smile on my face.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

The new dartboard in the office...

The office jester is now throwing metal tipped darts towards peoples feet. He actually got me in the foot on the boot, fortunately I wear steel toes but I'm NOT loving happy. As par the course in this thread, management ain't doing poo poo. Can't leave this job soon enough

What in the actual gently caress? How is that not bare minimum hostile work environment if he's throwing things that could injure you at you intentionally?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

dogstile posted:

Step 4: Point at your work logs and laugh. Get back to doing your work.

Log files? That sounds like entrapment, mister.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

wa27 posted:

I hate executives that *must* have a phone with a physical keyboard. It was bad enough two years ago but now Verizon doesn't even sell the Droid 4 so I'm buying a new one from some weird seller on Amazon.

You're going to have to let go eventually, people. Learn to Swype or something!

As soon as Swype stops occupying half to 80% the drat screen when I try to use it and isn't an inaccurate piece of garbage, maybe I will. :colbert:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Partycat posted:

I got sent for training to a hotel on Wall Street. Ordered a burger from the hotel restaurant, walked in, in a shirt and jeans to a bunch of people in three piece suits. Felt like a scumbag.

You were on Wall Street, I would imagine you were the only person there who wasn't a scumbag.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Webbeh posted:

Because it looks good? I can never understand why IT folks dread the idea of dressing up. Style isn't a bad thing, guys. :sigh:

People dislike the idea of being forced into it, and to a lesser extent the idea of wearing attire unsuited for things like grubbing under peoples' desks or working inside of computer cases. I know I certainly would not want to have to wear nice slacks and a tie in previous jobs I've had, mostly because the former would get grungy constantly and the latter would try to kill me on the regular.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

TWBalls posted:

I have a working one sitting on my desk if you want it. I seem to recall that Lum likes them as well, so whomever wants it can have it (just pay shipping).

If HalloKitty bails out, I wouldn't mind replacing mine with yours. I've actively been considering buying a used one to replace mine since the battery in mine isn't holding a charge anywhere near as well as it used to and I'm kinda skittish about replacing the battery myself.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

evobatman posted:

I know how special your exact model of phone is to you, but isn't that model so old now that they should be cheap to get off eBay?

Yeah, Droid 4s are something in the range of $50 on Swappa, so I can't imagine they'd be that much higher on UK sites.

E: Which is good, because I need to replace mine too - the battery is starting to swell. :ohdear:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Lum posted:

Replacing the battery is pretty easy, you just need to undo two screws at the bottom right of the battery hidden under a little rubber cover, then force the thing out as its glued in place. The replacement battery kit comes with a replacement sticky sheet to put the new one in.

Already tried twice, both replacements made my phone throw that "unrecognized battery" error. Made sure the contacts were tightened properly and all. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Sorry if the thread has moved on, but I thought working visas were only something that could be obtained if you've tried and failed to fill vacancies with US staff, which obviously isn't the case if you currently have US workers training up cheaper replacements? Or am I just being massively naive?

Massively naive. That's technically correct but if you "can't fill the vacancies!" because you're asking for practically indentured servitude wages, well, you can't fill them so gimme those H1-Bs. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I thought we were above one-anecdote condemnation of an entire concept, but I guess not.

Then again, your quip about "oh I could never fire incompetents" betrays your position more than anything else. Sorry that actually following a proper, documented, justified termination process is such a hardship. :rolleyes:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

"Hello, would you like to hear a TCP joke?"
"Yes, I’d like to hear a TCP joke."
"I’ll tell you a TCP joke."
"Ok, I will hear a TCP joke."
"Are you ready to hear a TCP joke?"
"Yes, I am ready to hear a TCP joke."
"I'm about to tell the TCP joke. It will last 10 seconds, has two characters, does not have a setting and ends with a punchline."
"Ok, I am ready to get your TCP joke that will last 10 seconds, has two characters, does not have a setting and ends with a punchline."
"I’m sorry, your connection has timed out. Hello, would you like to hear a TCP joke?"

Maybe it's how poorly I slept last night but holy poo poo I'm grinning like an idiot at this.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

There's also an inaccurate perception I've encountered where working from home is not considered "really working" when compared to being in the office. Like putting on pants and fighting through traffic somehow prove your worth in some intrinsic fashion.

That's how our CEO feels (small business problems), and has basically said that he cares more about people being at their desk than their safety (like, during snow/icestorms or really bad rain, especially since I don't own a car).

Yes, I know I need to (and am actively trying to) :yotj:.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, I don't get the annoyance at bandwidth, it's a perfectly salient encapsulation of time/mental energy/resources. Lots of other corporate repurposing of words annoys me, but not bandwidth. :shrug:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

skooma512 posted:

I'm starting to bring my own lunch today. Im tired of spending 8 to 10 bucks a day on mediocre food.

I invested $20 in one of Crock-Pot's lunch warmers. I can plug it in at my desk and warm up leftovers of whatever the girlfriend and I made the night before. It's nice being able to have stuff like beef stew, red beans and rice, etc. instead of yet more sandwiches or going out for food.

It's lasted me like two years, to boot.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

nitrogen posted:

Wish me luck. I have a job interview tomorrow afternoon in Downtown Dallas. Hopefully :toot:-age is forthcoming soon.

Good luck! If you see someone on a bike, please don't run them over, it might be me. :shobon:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Question for you, nitrogen and madmaan - where's everyone from? I'm busy as poo poo so it's not going to be this month (closing on a house, yay), but I've got thoughts of expensing a lunch on you guys. I'm in Frisco.

Basically I can throw a rock from my porch and hit the Dallas/Richardson border. I work downtown, though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

dissss posted:

People still fall for this poo poo in 2015:

It's always the same people too

What's most odd about that to me is that it's not tripping Firefox/Chrome's "hey dumbass, this is a phishing site" warnings. :psyduck:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Do you work here? YES/NO
Yes
"Please type line 3 on page 2 of the employee handbook"

Make sure you have your decoder ring first. (there was some old 90s PC game that had a decoder ring for copy protection, wasn't there?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

anthonypants posted:

Believe it or not, it's a different guy!

:ohdear: Hopefully your office has rigorous enough access control. I had a ticket once at a data center I worked at where a dude flew off the handle about like that, and then about 45 minutes later (bear in mind this is third shift, so it's like... 1:30 AM?) the front door access phone rings and first thing I hear is "hey you little fucker, it's $NAME from that ticket, you going to be a little bitch about things now?"

Luckily our main entryway is a double door setup and the second door was access controlled - and the first doors can be remotely locked in a panic situation. Police got to find him futilely pounding against both sets of doors to get out one way or another.

People get really mad about email for some reason (he was complaining about bouncebacks due to landing himself on Spamhaus CSS).