Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KillHour posted:

It's a text editor like NP++. A really good one that doesn't look like it's 20 years old.
Okay but Notepad++ looking 20 years old is the reason to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SlowBloke posted:

It also uses 20 years old executable validation methods as, much like 7zip, it doesn't sign the executables or the installer, which is a good reason to jettison.
Yeah that's solid logic alright.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
In a perfect world that'd result in someone realising the security team is overworked and needs more budget but realistically all that we care about here is covering each other's asses, so Imma just point out that Teams chat is de-facto an electronically signed communication from the relevant member of the team, and any failure to input it into the correct ticketing system on their end is a failure on their end, so direct any enquiries to <name on chat> and sit back all :smugbert: TBH.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Wait, did he say "firefight" or "fire to fight"? The two things are dramatically different.

SlowBloke posted:

Not in Europe it isn't. Unless it has an attachment with an eidas signature it doesn't count for poo poo in a lawsuit. I could start a pages long rant about it(please don't ask).
It won't stand up in court, but it'll stand up in internal CYOA. Either the dude sent it or his account is compromised, so whatever happens it's his rear end in the fire. If it gets to court then way bigger things have gone wrong than a goon breaking procedure to ensure that business operations continued.

Also this is the thread to rant in, so go hog wild. I'll happily read it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
From my brief time in ediscovery I think the AES is probably "good enough" for most tort law use where you're going to hand over things like certs during discovery and only need to hit balance of probabilities standards, but I can see why it'd piss you off if the Italian government were expecting QES for most things and arbitrarily decided not to use it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

xzzy posted:

I got folks that are resistant to PTT because they're so addicted to getting work done that they don't want to have to swap back to zoom to be able to say something. So we get to listen to them slapping away at their keyboards the whole meeting.

Meetings are space out and chill time, if the company is gonna mandate me to attend I sure as heck am not going to reward them by multitasking.
I leave it on voice and look like I am working.

I am playing 2048.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If it makes you feel better, as an external pentester that :airquote: mitigation :airquote: pisses me off too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanks Ants posted:

I will never understand people who try and weasel out of having difficult conversations in the mistaken belief that wasting 1-2 weeks is going to make a problem go away instead of making it significantly worse. Specifically referring to sales here but really it could apply to anything. Nobody can start fixing the problem until you admit that one exists, unless you're taking night classes in this area and are planning to fix it yourself, what are you hoping to gain?
1-2 weeks of doing nothing, followed by making it Somebody Else's Problem.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KozmoNaut posted:

Man, gently caress zero-width spaces for loving up config files.

"The search DN string looks perfectly fine, why the gently caress isn't it working?"

lovely-rear end Unicode is why!
I bypassed the mitigation that MS made in Forms back in the 2018 phishing attack that did the rounds by using zero-width spaces and their response was "not a bug" and then they fixed it and didn't give me money or credit for it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KillHour posted:

My coworkers already set bad expectations and they accept them as soon as they are sent so I'm kind of boned. I yelled at my boss about it.
If you have a boss you auto-decline anything outside your contracted hours.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Welp. Maybe tomorrow, on day 2 of a 3 day pentest engagement, the nightmare client will actually bother to answer my questions about how I authenticate with their API.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I applied for a job in Deloitte once after I'd already been consulting for a small company for a couple of years. Didn't realise it at the time but they were just curious as to why I'd even bother when everything I was unhappy with about the place I was working for was the same but worse at Deloitte. Oh well!

tactlessbastard posted:

It would be mod brained to hire Deloitte.
Username/post combo new high score! :golfclap:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Wibla posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: a significant portion of our cctv network had a short outage this morning and I haven't figured out why yet :argh:
Someone briefly knocked over the switch connecting everything to the recording box.

Why no, I've never done that. Why do you ask?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Someone called our prod line for urgent issues (usually the only people who call are nuance when they're having datacenter issues)

They were very insistent that they called u-haul. It took a while to convince them otherwise and then they called back the next day looking for uhaul again. Lmao
Way back I used to work for a place with the misfortune to have the same phone number as a lovely delivery company, except we were based in the capital and they were in the arse end of nowhere so the area codes were different. Everyone would just ignore the area code and dial as if they were in Dublin. It would often take quite a while to convince them we were a security consultancy and not a delivery company. Over Christmas to new year when we were shut you'd get the same person ringing once a day ignoring the voicemail message telling them who we were and getting more and more upset about their lost package and nobody answering the phone every time.

Wibla posted:

So mystery partially solved: A switch is starting to fail, rebooted and somehow triggered an STP root change that made a lot of noise :argh:

Several L3 routers along the way are misconfigured and I guess I know what I'm doing next week.
I was so close to calling it! :argh:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Maybe I'm just not in the tech bro mindset yet since this time last year I was still slinging boxes all night at a retail warehouse, even a lovely job doing the same type of help ticket every day would be the best job possible comparatively.
I have been the helpdesk monkey trying to escape by applying to retail warehouses to sling boxen. It's way less stressful work.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I just received an email from Equinix, for an additional fee you can have a video conference with the smart hands while they work on your ticket.

I am pissed off on behalf of the smart hands because that sounds like a loving nightmare.
Having been one of those smart hands it's not much worse than the time that $CLIENT filed a trouble ticket for a connection that was down, had my friend go clean the cable connectors to check if that would fix it, and then sit there and watch the blinking LED for "a while" until they verified it was okay.

They left him there for four hours.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Anyone else getting LinkedIn requests from people who immediately offer you training courses if you accept? It's like there are entire fake profiles claiming to work in one field and then magically they're actually just selling courses for that field.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Like he wanted you to get him to sell your house or he wanted you to buy a house from him? Either way that's bizzare, but one is slightly more bizzare than the other.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Fool posted:

They won't ship to me, I am now incredibly angry.
:emptyquote:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Iron Rose posted:

Nothing better than half our GCP artifactory images failing to pull on a Friday. All our repos are federated so we can at least tell folks to pull cross cloud but there’s no rhyme or reason I can tell why some of these images pull successfully and some don’t.

Adding insult to injury the error message is a completely incorrect false message about untrusted certificates which I just know is going to waste a few hours with support :negative:
Have the failing ones somehow managed to end up with a broken chain of trust?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's a real interesting and fucky error.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Iron Rose posted:

The issue ended up being missing manifest.json files, which was caused because we had to delete the underlying storage for one of our clouds awhile back before we realized we could orphan services using PVCs. Federated repos only update new files by default though, so images that hadn’t been updated in time didn’t get replacement manifests but did get the image itself apparently. Regardless, running a full sync fixed it nicely.
So the manifest.json files were telling things where to check the certs and lacking updates they were pointing to certs that didn't exist?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Polio Vax Scene posted:

somebody fidgeting in a conference room brought our entire office's network down because they plugged an ethernet cable's two ends into the same port. it really seems like something that should be more idiot proof.
Uhm... they got both ends of the cable into the port at once? How?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm figuring it's more along the lines of a plate with two physical ports labeled something like 43A and 43B.
That'd make sense, but that's not what was said, and I'm imagining some truly creative end user destruction.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Pretty good way of ending the call though :hmmyes:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

"What do we even pay you for?".
Being able to honestly reply with "accounting poo poo" is almost worth making things progressively worse until a disaster prompts this question TBH.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bargearse posted:

That’s where they angrily point at “other duties as directed”.
Contrary to popular (management) belief, that actually has legal limitations to it. Knowing just enough to explain how you can ruin everything by not knowing any more is a great way to remind people of those limitations. Bonus points if you can fit in the words "risk of death", but I don't think STP can do that unless it goes very wrong.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PremiumSupport posted:

We'd just restore from offline backup and get on with things. Not worth the effort.
Good cryptolockers wait a quarter or so before popping the ransom message. That way your offline backups are also hosed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I gotta ask, how the hell does that work, if you're also in theory accessing those files during that quarter?
The ways I've been told about, since I've only seen one lovely Locky infection personally, are that they encrypt the backups as they're being written, they prioritise files that aren't used regularly first, or they keep the encryption key in memory prior to the ransom and just decrypt live on the assumption that helpdesks will ignore "my computer is slow" complaints from users.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ConfusedUs posted:

My favorites are the ones that install/enable some kind of RDP and someone just logs in and deletes all the backups by hand.
Those only work with online backups. To deal with airgapped backups one way of doing it is the ones that embed themselves in firmware and after the OS is wiped they fire only when a backup solution is attached to a device. Hope you didn't attach your only copy!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

tango alpha delta posted:

Oh; he can’t pay me yet. He needs me to make something so that he can apply for some kind of grant. Totally not a scam. Honest.
Just make an app that lets you put all the variables he thinks are important into some fields, and then when you hit "go" it says "replace bit now".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've been asked that question every single place I've interviewed the last 3-4 years.

They arent looking for some incredible answer. Just a "I subscribe to these RSS feeds or sites/twitter/newsletter blah blah whatever" with one example is all it takes to move on to the next question. No one says you have to read that poo poo off the clock either unless you want to.
I made the mistake of interviewing with Deloitte at one point and they literally phrased it as "what do you do to improve your skills in your own time?".

I have no idea why I wasted a day on that interview beyond being desperate to move.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah bosses bad or whatever, but we should cherish self motivated learning and the career progression that comes with it, not look down upon it.
When the "beginner" certs in this field cost $1499 + tax to even look at the training materieals work can pay for it or it doesn't get looked at.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

klosterdev posted:

What on earth could posses a company to only want some of their users on MFA.

At least I got the risk acknowledgement in writing.
"CEO is too important for MFA"/"Bob in accounting is not important enough for MFA".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Silly Newbie posted:

Response: please give me that in writing so I can properly attest to our cyber security insurance people.
The correct answer.

sixth and maimed posted:

"There's an additional monthly associated with every MFA user*, so we need to only give to those that really need it."

* = whole company still on-prem for everything, nothing in Azure/cloud yet, so MFA was an additional monthly subscription cost per user**
** = 500 million euro per year multinational with 11 sites in 5 European countries***
*** = were crypto'd couple of months prior
:negative:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Had a three day engagement to do a hardening review on some client servers. They failed to get me credentials by the end of the three days, so they got billed for the time, I went on annual leave for a week, and when I got back on Tuesday I found it had been rescheduled to start again on Wednesday.

Guess what they still haven't gotten to me?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The one I used is "if you put a ticket in then your rear end is covered when someone asks you why you haven't done the work yet. You just tell your boss that the thing's broke, but here's the ticket if they want to chase it".

Thanks Ants posted:

A purchase order?
Happily that is not my problem and they pre-pay us in advance for the quarter.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Happy Litterbox posted:

Things that piss me off: Our management.

This company has always been closed between christmas and the first january week and you were forced to spend your PTO. Last week this has been cancled thus I cancled my not very exciting vacation plans. Now this week HR comes around and wants a written statement what I'm doing at work during that week or want me to take PTO.

No and no. I'm not taking PTO if my plans are cancled and you are not getting a plan out of me on what I'm supposed to do that week. What are you gonna do? Fire me?
I'll do it for you:

Happy Litterbox's week plan posted:

Monday 26th: calculating number of hours wasted by cancelling vacation plans after notice of change to standing company policy given two weeks ahead of go-live date.
Tuesday 27th: spinning on chair.
Wednesday 28th: calculating number of hours wasted drawing up written statement of work for week ending 30 December.
Thursday 29th: billing company for wasted hours.
Friday 30th: awaiting argument with HR, who have probably hosed off for the week.

Solid odds they'll never check.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bull3964 posted:

I'm Mr. Passive Aggressive when it comes to that stuff.

Person: "Hey, you didn't respond to my email!"

Me: "Oh, it looks like you sent that at 3pm on a Saturday. By the time 9am on Monday came around, it was buried with new stuff that came in and in the "last week" grouping of Outlook. Sorry. I probably would have found it by Wednesday."
I get very literal with that sort of thing. I agree that I haven't responded. They ask why. I tell them it's because I am now talking to them instead of doing work. They get mad. I get to them when I get to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I would have to point out that it would have been "email" rather than "emails" if they had simply replied the first time.