Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You should try turning it from the outside sometime. It's pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Isepic posted:

You're not wrong.

I was thinking more Deviant Ollam than The Lockpicking Lawyer, but that is also very fun.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Every job I've had in the last five years, all of them with security companies, I get the same "send me your whatsapp for an urgent task" spam within the first week. And it never ends.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH this is why people fall back on "people are the weakest link".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's a lot you can do but at the end of the day it's just another "tech can't solve societal problems" thing that gets the C-suite being all "what do we even pay you for?!?!?!" when you inevitably weren't devoting more time to the problem than the dude who needs to scam you so he can buy food.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Roasted Unicorn Haunch?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanks Ants posted:

"Hello I am trying to connect to some destinations and nothing works please help"
"Ok, can you give me the address for one thing you're trying to connect to so I can troubleshoot"
"It's everything, nothing works!"

Please, you want help, I sort of want to help you. Meet me halfway here, just answer the questions.
My Xbox support days taught me that you need to pick a thing and get them to try connect to that. Have a list of poo poo to test and eventually a picture will emerge. It'll take loving ages and they'll question your methods, but eventually you will get there.

And tell them to call their ISP back.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Generic Monk posted:

is there a loving wiki in teams???? are you joking?

e: the sharepoint online stuff in the browser i’m kind of coming round to; it’s almost preferable to having a bunch of weird special subfolders in onedrive for which editing stuff in the desktop office apps may or may not destroy all your work when it has a paddy. it’s nice to have that stuff bookmarked in your browser, especially in my company where no one knows where anything is.

i’ve never been able to understand why anyone would ever want to edit anything inside teams tho. the world’s most mediocre chat app becoming the world’s worst spreadsheet experience
Hey just so you know, if you work with a whole bunch of inexplicably uncooperative Irish people I've hilighted the reason why for you.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh yeah, I never heard it before a Welsh co-worker was complaining about our mutual boss throwing a tantrum. It suddenly clicked why he kept complaining that he hated spending time in the Cork office because nobody office liked him it made his job as project manager extrea difficult with people simpy not bothering to do stuff or tell him about anything. It's just baked into British culture that the Irish and Scottish are irrationally angry about something all the time so nobody notices just how deeply ingrained it is. Poor dude was actually a really nice guy, but those bridges were burned instantly.

ETA: you'll get better results googling "throw a paddy" BTW.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The stories I could tell, if not for an NDA.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fil5000 posted:

It always amazes me that this got made at all, but I'm glad it did. Graft's backstory episode had a bit in it that absolutely scared the poo poo out of me as a kid, and they did a good job humanising most of the villains in a way most cartoons didn't bother doing.
Yeah I really do not get why they were allowed air that in the timeslot they were. It definitely left quite the impression on us.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've just taken to manually hauling over my browser profile whenever I install a new version on a personal machine. Saves a lot of hassle.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A lot of the time that's just recruiters advertising what they're given, presumably to make whatever fee they get for stupid roles. I've been talking to some here and telling them not to post poo poo like that in the same post as the same role but for 20% more cash and no security clearance requirements.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

sfwarlock posted:

I've gotten the same role four times now from diff recruiters, all of them in the $22-$28 range. I've been idly wondering what the actual rate is that they're skimming off of.
These rolls are at different places, but what I mean is you'll see:
"Role 1: Hybrid, CRT required, £45-55k
Role 2: Hybrid, CTM required, £40-45k
Role 3: Remote, CTL required, £infinity"

and CTM is just "someone who has done the CRT, ticked the box before taking the exam, and then passed a security clearance check". That security clearance check is only passable if you've been in the UK for five+ years without leaving for 28 days or more, so for someone like me who moved over in 2021 that is simultaneously literally impossible and also makes me wonder what idiots are trying to underbid the better candidates.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm currently doing the "what's your salary?" "what's your budget?" infinite loop with a third party recruiter for a job I don't even want, in a different country. I have nothing better to do with my employer's time TBH.

Weatherman posted:

Do recruiters have to pay for unsolicited messages on LinkedIn? Or is it they pay if you respond or do not respond?

My profile shows I speak Japanese and experience in IT in Japan until a few years back and also that I'm clearly now in an engineering/architect role. But every so often, I'll get some muppet inviting me to apply for an M365 support role that requires Japanese language skills. Motherfucker does it look like I'm trying to bend my career trajectory into a U shape? Also gently caress off with that "invitation to apply" poo poo. If you think my profile has what you need then set up an interview already (which I will immediately turn down for the previous reason.)

I'd like to make sure I'm costing them the most possible for their message by responding or not.
I have been told, but cannot confirm, that an "InMail" from anyone you aren't a contact of costs a whole :10bux:, which they get back if you reply to it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Raymond T. Racing posted:

InMail pricing is different depending on your plan, and usually recruiters are using the recruiter plan anyway
Does it still cost per message then?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Internet Explorer posted:

Probably, but then after that I have to talk about, work with, and "sell" AI. I'm not sure it's worth the tradeoff.
A former colleague is using AI exactly as instructed and when he gets shat on in code review for what it produces he just asks if the guy forcing them to use AI wants them to stop trusting it. Zero effort trolling.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
For source code don't worry about GDPR, worry about the AI using you code to train their model and violating copyright.

Happy Litterbox posted:

Sending off an application and not half an hour later I get an answer "What salary do you expect?" Guys, stop hiring the cheapest people. :( Also it depends on a lot of factors, like how many hours do you even want me there.
I had that dance a couple of weeks back and ended up just ignoring the recruiter. Turns out they didn't need it and put me forward anyway, but didn't tell me. I was very confused when some rando yank company demanded I give them an interview time in the next five days to start the 6-7 stage multi-week process with them.

So of course I told 'em I'm on holidays and have poo poo internet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

J posted:

open all the ports, turn off UAC, allowlist C:\** in your security software, put the application account in the domain admins group
I had some fun of late when I was denied access to C:\ but was able to visit \\127.0.0.1\c$.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mllaneza posted:

That gave me a cold chill that lasted until I remembered that on the systems where we lock users out of any drive, we also block Windows search and Run.

I'm going to have to check on that, the locked down systems are GxP.
If it makes you feel any better I accessed that via the save dialogue of the native Windows print to pdf functionality, then was able to abuse that to get an explorer window by zipping and unzipping a random file I found somewhere and telling explorer to show me the files on completion. After that I was able to create and run batch files from the user directory and that's just silly for what should be a web app.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mllaneza posted:

We're in luck, our lockdown implementation also blocks \\127.0.0.1\c$ More good news for my team!
Does it block 127.0.0.1 specifically or all the addresses that resolve to localhost?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Keep it in the back pocket for an easy win down the line so.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah I got that way back when with a team lead. Dude was new to the company so I decide to try get him looped in and feeling helpful. I ask him for advice on crafting a path traversal payload that'd get me somewhere juicy on a target system, having already bypassed Cloudflare's filtering and gotten basic traversal to work. He points me at a script for bypassing Cloudflare entirely. All it does is take the domain you hand it, stick "ssh." to the front of it, try make a DNS query for that, and then returns the IP address of whatever exists. Utter stupidity on so many levels.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

xzzy posted:

Around the turn of the year Google cranked up their buy poo poo interface and it's now impossible to look up any product without it looking like Amazon. The Reddit magic word usually fixes it but they are really spiraling that drain.
uBlock Origin fixes most of that TBH.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Discord are late to the party. This is Facebook finally managing to pull off what AOL tried so many decades ago.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sounds like no adblock too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My dad used to steal reams of dot matrix paper from work when I was a kid, and it was great to draw on basically infinitely long paper.

Agrikk posted:

It’s this. Google used to Just Work, like a toaster or a screwdriver, and having to futz with settings and extensions and plugins isn’t something I’ve bothered to do.

Like Bluetooth toasters, it’s adding a bunch of functionality to a device that doesn’t need it, while adding distractions and potential points of failure.
To be fair, toasters always had settings you needed to gently caress with until you first got them right. This is much the same as installing uBlock Origin and having a way better time online for decades.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's very simple. Step 1 is doing that poo poo to everyone who knows you until they're sick of you and you have literally nobody in your life who isn't another isolated crank.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I believe it started off with cops telling people to stop filming and people starting to film them just to get the cops to break the law, but the end result is the cops have learned to not rise to the bait and the people who got e-famous off the gimmick need to keep chasing the high of internet dipshit approval.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Currently pissing me off: sending everything as flattened PDFs via a single docusign link so everything is a mess. Maybe I want to Ctrl + F through your health insurance benefits so I can work out of the things I've got are covered or not? Why is this even hidden after the contract and background check in a single giant scrollbar? gently caress sake.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Misread. Nevermind.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
How do you know if it's a timeout because a thing is down or a thing doesn't even exist? If you build something into the local network stack that does a query against a source of truth when things are timing out how do you prevent that being abused to enumerate your entire network without any privileges at all if you get popped? It's a non-trivial problem to solve TBH.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

xzzy posted:

That's why I said a genius should do it, I'd gently caress it up.

I just want errors telling people to ask to their administrator to die.
Ah, okay. Yeah, fair. I've wished for that sort of tooling a few times, and once in a while it actually shows up.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Don't even bother with that poo poo. Just stick a bridged card on the VM and SCP to it or something.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Pfft, make a virtual floppy image then mount it to the VM.
Okay but mine will both work and is easier than getting an Oracle product to work as advertised.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You've just added another layer via making it work from outside the network, so now you need to worry about other people's networks too. That's even more complexity and still hasn't addressed the security issue it causes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Potato Salad posted:

maybe you're thinking of, idk, a network module extension and I'm just thinking of a very small browser extension
That's what the post you quoted is directly replying to, so yes.

Potato Salad posted:

going back to the op, I do find it really weird that the big browsers don't say "hey you have no network connection, idiot" because they're in a great place in the system to safely see if one exists at all. similarly, "something's not right with your gateway or ISP" or "there's no route to that private (rfc1918) network, should you be on a VPN?" it's really low hanging fruit and it doesn't have to nmap your entire network and attempt to kidnap the children of your local isp's support team
Chrome does tell you that you have no internet at least. It's not always correct whrn it does that, but it's better than nothing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mllaneza posted:

Firefox has had a "you're offline, do you want to go online and here's how" status page for about 15 years. I remember this because one of the stupider senior people I've had to support stared at that all morning and only asked me about it after lunch, a really good look for our Director of New Business.

The status page for that tells you how to go back to online mode. Reading comprehension was beyond this idiot.
I have never been in offline mode so I guess it's time to go play around and break my laptop.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's why it's extra annoying when it's *not* free and you're just trying to find out how much it costs or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's a really affordable and solid solution.