Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

The Milkman posted:

For what it's worth I checked that site while shopping around and the 60" 120hz Vizio I ended up at was way cheaper and had better response time than most of the 'better' Sonys, Samsungs, et al

How did you measure it? Input lag is not the same as the "response time" listed on the manufacturer's specs(which means pretty much nothing). I'm sure it's fine if there's nothing noticeable, usually it's pretty blatant when there is a lot. It's pretty frustrating that it isn't a spec provided by the manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Jeffrey posted:

How did you measure it? Input lag is not the same as the "response time" listed on the manufacturer's specs(which means pretty much nothing). I'm sure it's fine if there's nothing noticeable, usually it's pretty blatant when there is a lot. It's pretty frustrating that it isn't a spec provided by the manufacturer.

I didn't measure it, I was going off the DisplayLag database results

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The Milkman posted:

I didn't measure it, I was going off the DisplayLag database results

Ahh okay, cool, I misunderstood. Yeah it's surprising, a lot of "high-end" expensive tvs are really bad because they do all sorts of post-processing that adds latency.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I always thought that the human eye can't perceive latency below 100ms. As in, you can't tell the difference between 10, 50 or 100ms with a regular naked eye?

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.

Furism posted:

I always thought that the human eye can't perceive latency below 100ms. As in, you can't tell the difference between 10, 50 or 100ms with a regular naked eye?

It's hard to see, definitely; but by god, you can feel even a few milliseconds of wrongness when you move the mouse and the view moves ever so slightly afterwards, making you drunkenly overcompensate.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Furism posted:

Well, you can probably notice 100, thats like 5-6 frames in a game. It's extra important in games that required precise timing, like guitar hero or fighting games. Keep in mind that he is talking about game streaming, so the tv is just another source of latency, which is already going to be a problem with streaming. Remember that there will be quite a few sources latency in the system, since data has to go from:

Controller->steambox->network->streaming pc, then the game responds to the input, then the visual response has to go through encoding->network->decoding and then finally that is added to the input lag from the tv.

Together this will probably be quite bad if he doesn't choose the right tv, and may still be bad without that. (Frankly I'm skeptical of streaming altogether for fast-paced stuff - it's fine for menu based games but I can't imagine using it for anything real time.) Games feel REALLY bad to play when there is too much input lag, even if the game is playable there's a psychological thing where if it takes too long, it feels disproportionately bad.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Yeah, so the difference between 25ms for a tv and 50ms+ is going to be a pretty sizable one when it comes to something like this. I definitely want to at least take it into consideration when making my decision.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
On that note, where do projectors stand in the latency spectrum?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ShadowHawk posted:

On that note, where do projectors stand in the latency spectrum?

There's a Benq here that apparently does pretty well:

http://www.cnet.com/news/best-low-lag-hdtvs-for-serious-gamers/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MMD3 posted:

My PC is upstairs in my office, cat-6 cable runs from the office to a utility closet in the basement, and then from the router there into the home theater room on the other side of the basement... in short it would be a very long run of HDMI and I decided not to go that route.

They make HDMI->dual Ethernet adapters for less than $15 these days which allow you almost a 100' run through pre-existing CAT-5e in the walls, etc., and you can repurpose the CAT-5e for regular data at a later point.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just want to note that this Bay Trail based mainboard/cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157494&cm_re=ASROCK_Q1900-iTX-_-13-157-494-_-Product is able to stream games great at 720p perfectly, 1080p is pretty good. It runs Steam Big Picture at a decent clip when set to 720p, but running it in 1080p is a bit too choppy for me; games typically average 50-60 fps at 720p and around 40-50ish fps at 1080p over wired gigabit ethernet from a Core-i3 4330 based gaming PC. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the performance, more so since I got the mainboard/cpu for $60 from Amazon :).

[edit] As an aside, my Steam box is currently powered by a 450W Antec VP450 power supply (which I realize is completely overkill), but I recently ordered a fanless 150W picoPSU with a 102W AC adapter with a PCI power port bracket for $60. Can't wait for this thing to be completely silent.

teagone fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 21, 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Has anyone extracted the stream streaming app that the nvidia shield uses? I wonder if the amazon fire TV has enough horsepower to decode a stream like that?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

teagone posted:

Just want to note that this Bay Trail based mainboard/cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157494&cm_re=ASROCK_Q1900-iTX-_-13-157-494-_-Product is able to stream games great at 720p perfectly, 1080p is pretty good. It runs Steam Big Picture at a decent clip when set to 720p, but running it in 1080p is a bit too choppy for me; games typically average 50-60 fps at 720p and around 40-50ish fps at 1080p over wired gigabit ethernet from a Core-i3 4330 based gaming PC. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the performance, more so since I got the mainboard/cpu for $60 from Amazon :).

For some reason I want to see a 290X or some other high-end video card in that just to see how it'd run.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SwissCM posted:

For some reason I want to see a 290X or some other high-end video card in that just to see how it'd run.

Do you mean in my gaming PC? I currently have a Radeon 7850 2GB OC Edition paired up with my Core-i3 4330. Might upgrade soon, but at the moment, I'm ok with running stuff at a mix of medium/high settings.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

teagone posted:

Do you mean in my gaming PC? I currently have a Radeon 7850 2GB OC Edition paired up with my Core-i3 4330. Might upgrade soon, but at the moment, I'm ok with running stuff at a mix of medium/high settings.

No, in that little Celeron HTPC :3:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SwissCM posted:

No, in that little Celeron HTPC :3:

Haha, wouldn't be possible with the ITX mainboard I got unfortunately, since it only has a PCIe 1x slot :D

You could "run" it in this micro-ATX version: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157513. I put run in quotes because despite being a full, physical 16x slot length, it only operates at 1x.

[edit] Well I guess you could get a 1x to 16x PCIe riser/ribbon cable thing on the ITX version, but still, it'd be a hilarious waste of GPU power.

VVV or physically mutilate the video card too, haha

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 22, 2014

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

teagone posted:

Haha, wouldn't be possible with the ITX mainboard I got unfortunately, since it only has a PCIe 1x slot :D

You could "run" it in this micro-ATX version: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157513. I put run in quotes because despite being a full, physical 16x slot length, it only operates at 1x.

It'd actually be compatible if you modified it. You can carefully file away the plastic at the end of the slot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

http://t.co/kFVhMQ0XrC

Looks like they dropped the dpad for an analog stick.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

http://t.co/kFVhMQ0XrC

Looks like they dropped the dpad for an analog stick.

Really would think a discrete dpad would be more useful than a stick when you've got those huge touchpads.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

looks bad gonna keep using a keyboard/360 controller, sorry valve

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The finalized steam controller will probably just end up looking like an xbone controller.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

what? people like precise controls? well if you don't like this mushy analog stick there's a touchpad right over here~

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jeffrey posted:

what? people like precise controls? well if you don't like this mushy analog stick there's a touchpad right over here~

I like how it went from 8 face buttons to 1 dpad and 4 buttons to 1 analog stick and 4 buttons. I expect the next revision to have 2 analog sticks.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Hadlock posted:

Has anyone extracted the stream streaming app that the nvidia shield uses? I wonder if the amazon fire TV has enough horsepower to decode a stream like that?

There's an app called LimeLight that works as a game streaming client for the Geforce Experience app and you can sideload that on the Fire TV and apparently it works pretty well at 720p/60fps or 1080p/30fps: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?s=8af0a8027fbfac80290db9931961d245&p=51649755&postcount=542

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
That would make for a nice Steam Machine if they can also cool the GPU. They claim an i7, 500 GB HDD and 8 GB of RAM without a single fan.

http://gizmodo.com/a-nest-of-copper-foam-lets-this-tiny-pc-run-silently-wi-1613237476

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'd personally rather deal with a discrete fan than have something that ugly in my living room.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It would be a nightmare to clean and maintain in any home with pets.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
It seems easier than a normal system in that regard if it's completely closed. Dust basically never gets inside to the actual components but just settles within the foam which you can just vacuum out.

I can't really tell from their website whether it's really closed though (custom psu?).

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

koolkal posted:

It seems easier than a normal system in that regard if it's completely closed. Dust basically never gets inside to the actual components but just settles within the foam which you can just vacuum out.

I can't really tell from their website whether it's really closed though (custom psu?).

The issue is that dust and pet hair might get tangled within that foam. Using a vacuum to clean it may not be as easy as it sounds. Still, it is a neat concept.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Xavier434 posted:

The issue is that dust and pet hair might get tangled within that foam. Using a vacuum to clean it may not be as easy as it sounds. Still, it is a neat concept.

but there's no fan... so it's not actually sucking anything into it... I mean I suppose if your cat decides it's a nice place to sit on top of it could get lodged in there, but otherwise put the drat thing in a cabinet or something up off the floor and voila, problem solved.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MMD3 posted:

but there's no fan... so it's not actually sucking anything into it... I mean I suppose if your cat decides it's a nice place to sit on top of it could get lodged in there, but otherwise put the drat thing in a cabinet or something up off the floor and voila, problem solved.

I wish I still lived somewhere where my mother cleaned all the things for me :allears:

My TV has no fan either, yet somehow there's always a fingers' worth of dust living on the top by the vent. Check out the Apple Cube, it's called convection; it's a thing.

Also yeah, cat hair. Ugh.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Hadlock posted:

I wish I still lived somewhere where my mother cleaned all the things for me :allears:

My TV has no fan either, yet somehow there's always a fingers' worth of dust living on the top by the vent. Check out the Apple Cube, it's called convection; it's a thing.

Also yeah, cat hair. Ugh.

You should be wishing your mom taught you how to clean for yourself ;)

I'm not saying it wouldn't collect dust but is imagine it's nothing some compressed air on occasion can't deal with

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH
Is there a guide for what's good for a steambox and what's not? I'm planning on just taking my current desktop (i5, 560 ti, 8gb ram, micro ATX) and putting that into an HTPC case when I upgrade this thing in a few months but I'm wondering if that's overkill since it runs most modern games fine. Streaming would be unnecessary except for Windows games. Am I better off using a lesser video card for keeping noise/heat down?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

By the way, not to open :can:, but seeing as this thread's been kinda dead, would it be safe to say that the idea of "Steam Machines" as marketed devices is also dead, or are they all just still "in development"?

I mean, I haven't heard any new news about this stuff for a long time (unless you count the small headline about the changed controller).

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

JazzFlight posted:

By the way, not to open :can:, but seeing as this thread's been kinda dead, would it be safe to say that the idea of "Steam Machines" as marketed devices is also dead, or are they all just still "in development"?

I mean, I haven't heard any new news about this stuff for a long time (unless you count the small headline about the changed controller).

I read this as more or less summing up the current status of steam boxes http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/12/alienware-alpha-software/

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

This is the problem with Valve announcing something that wouldn't be ready for the general public to buy until a couple years later.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

JazzFlight posted:

There's no posts because nothing's come out yet. They're definitely still plugging away at the controller since leaks of its evolution come out from time to time. Glancing at the SteamOS repo it looks like that's still being worked on too. Valve time.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Actually I would say that there are 3 steamboxes out there already, but I only say this because they are small form factor boxes that are around the same processing power as a "next-gen" console. One from MSI that is kind of big and too expensive and two from zotac: one that have a 860m GTX card in it, slightly below current gen consoles in terms of power and the other have a 760 GTX in it but throttles because of heat, and it's a bit expensive as well. That's from the top of my head so there might be some mistakes in this info.
They are not there yet but almost.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

My old gaming PC is about to die, and I'm thinking about building a new one soon to replace it. Is SteamOS anywhere close to ready for general daily use yet? Or should I just stick to Windows. Literally all I'll do on this is play Steam games, so I don't really care about the Windows ecosystem (except for of course the Windows-only games, which are becoming fewer and fewer.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tankadillo posted:

My old gaming PC is about to die, and I'm thinking about building a new one soon to replace it. Is SteamOS anywhere close to ready for general daily use yet? Or should I just stick to Windows. Literally all I'll do on this is play Steam games, so I don't really care about the Windows ecosystem (except for of course the Windows-only games, which are becoming fewer and fewer.)

It has some partial coverage because games have to be ported to SteamOS, and I'm working with a HTPC, so I'm looking for the intersection between controller and SteamOS, and it's not great. I'm also slightly handicapped because RADEON SUPPORT IS NON-EXISTENT. Witcher 2 won't even start due to the AMD drivers being a bag of smashed assholes.

If you keep the second machine you could go with streaming, but be warned that wifi/ethernet over power won't cut it, and you'll need bandwidth.

TL;DR - it's not ready to replace a windows machine.

• Locked thread