Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

When he said "demographics" and watching "certain people", my first thought was "oh hey it's the leader of the racist division, here to hire a black guy he can point to and say 'no look we're not racist, if we were racist Detective Bell wouldn't have joined up'."

Or maybe that's just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

My husband likes to turn procedurals into a sort of game where we try to solve them. He is very thoughtful about it, while I pull things out of thin air because I think it's funny. He was really mad that my "she pulled a lebowski but with ear rats" theory turned out to be essentially correct. :haw:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I was kind of hoping the Holmes brothers would find Watson only to discover she'd already saved herself. "I escaped hours ago, I kept trying to call you but your phones have been disconnected for some reason?"

I still don't know how I feel about her relationship with Mycroft. Originally I just justified it to myself by thinking that Joan doesn't get a lot of opportunities to get laid, so maybe Mycroft was just... available. And since she figured she'd never see him again, convenient. But then he offered to have a more long-term relationship, and she seriously considered it, and then I was just kind of baffled. I don't get what she sees in him!

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

It always feels like he's not comfortable just asking things of her, so he shows up with breakfast and clothes and a turtle as if that somehow makes it better. So awkward. :3:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I like the Mycroft moment even better if you imagine that he's forgotten himself, that he's also worried about Joan and he wants to investigate this to the best of his actual abilities. But then his brother gives him The Look, and he thinks oh poo poo that's right he thinks I'm an idiot and says he's just trying to be like Joan. Both brothers thinking they're following the other, each one under the impression that they're trying to stop the other from cocking this whole thing up.

One thing I love is that when Sherlock is being petty, there is no question that he is being petty. From the perspective of the viewer, of the writer, he is being petty. There's no feeling that the writers want you to think he's a cool dude getting in sick burns on the peons - nope, he's just a petty rear end in a top hat.

I've thought about it and I still really hate that moment at the end with Mycroft and Joan. It really just felt like everything Joan did and all her work the whole episode trying to keep it together, it all got taken away from her so the big man could have his big man moment. "Don't worry Joan, Mycroft is here to save you!" It felt... emotionally manipulative? Not for the audience, necessarily, but for Joan. Or maybe that's anti-Mycroft bias seeping in.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Are the spoilers necessary? But, to be safe: I love that, rather than letting someone take advantage of his desire to get his brother out of life, Sherlock totally recognizes that someone is trying to do exactly that. I still don't feel any chemistry between Joan and Mycroft, but I guess I'm just going to have to accept that as a thing that is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Secretly this whole show has been based on Neil Gaiman's A Study In Emerald.

• Locked thread