Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So how hard is the "throw the bottle into the sea" bit to figure out?

Also, I think Maks may be kinda boned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey nice!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The belt on the cooling system was also a bullshit thing to pull. If the game isn't lying about it being hard/impossible to walk around on deck while it's light out, you can't leave the engine room to retrieve the belt after you're underway. So you kind of have to psychically know that the engine will falter in this EXACT WAY.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Coolguye posted:

The belt on the cooling system was also a bullshit thing to pull. If the game isn't lying about it being hard/impossible to walk around on deck while it's light out, you can't leave the engine room to retrieve the belt after you're underway. So you kind of have to psychically know that the engine will falter in this EXACT WAY.
Or just have the standard adventure game "take everything that isn't nailed down" habit beaten into your head over the years. The belt is in the same drawer as the bottle, and you need that to get to the engine failure at the very least.

As to the bottle itself - Kapiton mentions his alcohol issues the moment he appears, and if you fail... well, the chapter start checkpoint is just a few actions ago.

In case the end of the update was a bit too vague - do you guys have any ideas as to what we should do next?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Uh, do we still have a dead body in our apartment? Well, we killed a member of Department 7, so that might be out. Uhh, maybe try to find Greenburg in the park or somewhere?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Xander77 posted:

In case the end of the update was a bit too vague - do you guys have any ideas as to what we should do next?

If we're still tracking the exchange, we might want to head to the warehouse. Seems like that's where the next exchange would take place.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

If we're still tracking the exchange, we might want to head to the warehouse. Seems like that's where the next exchange would take place.
The exchange of what for what? There were a number of different items delivered just now, and Savinkov was kind enough to specify where each is going.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Xander77 posted:

: Let me repeat. Obukov, you will deliver the dark suitcase to Savchenko, then go to your apartment and stay there. Wallace and I will deal with the crack, then take the crate to Tsibulenko for the final programing. At 09:00, the fourth member of our group will pick up the package and transport it to its final destination. Now I must beg your pardon, as I should ensure everything is going smoothly on deck.

Xander77 posted:

Savinkov shows up at this point. He's very interested in everything we've discovered, and here's his interpretation of the whole thing:
Kusnetsov is a very very bad man, and is the mastermind behind the whole snuff deal. We must intercept his assassination attempt at the warehouse and implicate him.
Everything else - Cut Throat, the American involvement, Agabekov's involvement with Obukov - are either misdirection by Kusnetsov or perfectly explainable.

According to Cut Throat, Kusnetsov is just a minor corrupt official - Agabekov is the key to the conspiracy.

Since Obukov is on the drat boat with Savinkov, Agabekov is apparently the fourth member of the group. Presumably he's at Dept 7.

What the hell we're supposed to do about it is an open question.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Xander77 posted:

Update 31

You mensch, you. I was just about to unbookmark this thread!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Xander77 posted:

Or just have the standard adventure game "take everything that isn't nailed down" habit beaten into your head over the years.
This game has killed Maks on multiple occasions for being a magpie like this.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I guess we need to go to Tsibulenko (wherever that is?) to figure out what Wallace and Savinkov are up to?

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
Savinkov you dirty bastard.

It's good you managed to get on the boat without the game crashing.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Well, that was a short chapter.

Will you show us the ways to lose the game in it?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Of course not.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Update 31 bonus

There are no optional conversations in this chapter, but plenty of

Our first (second, fourth etc) possible game over takes place in record time on the very first (technically second) screen of the chapter. The guard takes his duties very seriously.

But I'm sure that if Rukov turns around and flashes his KGB ID, he'll-

Welp. The guard also gives us a less harsh game over should Kapiton spot us:

The guard springs from his box on the jetty and aims his rifle at you. Some time later, the situation is cleared up and you return to Moscow in disgrace. You must have done something wrong, as the hangman may say.

Should we decide to change our minds once aboard and leave the ship via the gangplank:

The guard keeps you looking down the barrel of his rifle. The situation is cleared up some minutes later, but you return to Moscow in disgrace. Your insubordination was not appreciated!

If we miss our chance to slip past Kapiton and into the closet:

You see major Savinkov coming down the jetty with another man, clearly a seaman. They are about to board the Victor Matsnev.

The game plays a very cruel trick on you here. Savinkov gives the ship a brief inspection, fails to discover you, and then:

Down the jetty comes Obukov. He climbs aboard, carrying a cardboard box.

: You're a touch late, my friend. We should have been away by now.

: Forgive me, comrade major.

Obukov nods, turns towards the hatchway and goes down. Savinkov, looking determined, gives the place a thorough inspection. He soon discovers you...

: You could have quite easily sabotaged my work here, you know. Incompetence and insubordination - that's what I shall be forced to stress in my assessment of you. Return to Moscow, if you please; with officers like you, the state has little need of enemies!

There are no opportunities to slip away between the moment we see Savinkov and the moment he discovers us. The same spiel happens whenever and wherever we're spotted - be it on the jetty or even in the water beside the ship (!). As the game kindly hinted, any attempts to move about the decks during daytime will get you spotted automatically.

Something you may not have spotted in the chapter proper - for about 30 minutes after diving into the sea, Maks' sprite is waterlogged:

Should you barge in into the cabin, Fomichov will alert Savinkov. Even knocking the captain out won't change his speech script.

Kapiton is likely to suffer the most at the hands of a new player, as the temptation to knock him out may be overwhelming.

Savinkov has the same reaction as ever. But supposing you fight Kapiton after everyone checked on him?

About half and hour after getting knocked out, Kapiton comes around:

You can knock him out over and over - in fact, if you aren't hidden when he comes around, he'll attack you and get knocked out automatically:

But eventually he'll stagger past you and alert the crew.

Next up - should we fail to fix the engine, Savinkov and Fomichov will be on hand shortly.

: Looks like this pump belt needs replacing. Do you have another?

: I don't think so.

: Something else then? Let's have a look.

A different game over and Savinkov speech should you be discovered when the ship is at sea:

: Unfortunately, I cannot throw you into the sea; it is polluted enough already. Considered yourself under arrest, charged with attempted sabotage and gross insubordination.

You spend the night under lock and key in the forward sleeping cabin. The next day you return to Moscow, pending a hearing. The outlook is bleak.

The same text repeats no matter when or how Savinkov discovers you, regardless of how much of his shady dealings you may have observed.

Once darkness sets, you can climb up without being spotted - and barge into the navigators cabin:

That works out about as well as can be expected.

An exceptionally bright idea:

You can also barge in on Obukov.

He's not carrying anything of interest, and you can't dump the body overboard (if you knock out Kapiton while he's vomiting on the stern deck, the game simply refuses to recognize your attempts to dispose of him)

A few minutes later:

Savinkov, looking determined, gives the place a thorough inspection. He soon discovers you...

And we all know how that one goes by now. We can also barge in on the chatty gang in the rest-room cabin after the cases get on board. Notable for Wallace's epic bitchface sprite.

Outright stealing the cases, or their contents, also triggers a search by Savinkov.

As everyone gathers round (again) to spot the yellow light, you can knock out Obukov and Kapiton both.

To absolutely no reaction from anyone present. Stop hiding, go back and forth on deck, try to strike up a conversation... nada.

Kapiton will wake up and summon Savinkov in half an hour, as is his want, but should you knock out Obukov alone, the game will just break down. You can wait around for days and days, and nothing will happen.

The only way to end this farce is to seek out Savinkov in the rest room.

Once Wallace and Savinkov depart, Obukov and Fomichov deal with intruders in a far harsher manner.

The two men leap at you! You must have been too tired. Now you'll be able to sleep. For ever.

(I can't imagine writing the line above without a double emphasis on "forever" and an appropriate sound cue, but the game just lets it stand on its own.

If you jump overboard just before Leningrad in sight:

Finally, as the ship heads into port, you have a chance to knock out Kapiton and make your getaway before he comes around. Should you dawdle:

: not staying long.

what they're missing.

The story of how Maks ended up setting up the plot of Trainspotting will be told in KGB 2: Baltic Fleet Adventures.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 22, 2014

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
So, how are you supposed to know to switch the suitcases besides "gently caress you, it's KGB, that's why?"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, where are we going? I suppose if we want to out this conspiracy we need to know all the members, and the fourth member's probably coming to Tsibulenko to pick up the package?

But where is that? Maybe... contacting the CIA guy will get us the location?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I will never get tired of all the ways you can game over :allears:

Some of them make sense and get telegraphed, and then there's the gently caress you ones that make me happy I'm not the one playing.

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007

David Copperfield posted:

So, how are you supposed to know to switch the suitcases besides "gently caress you, it's KGB, that's why?"

You don't need to, but if you do the game acknowledges it later.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So is there even an option to follow Savinkov's orders instead of stowing away on board the boat? Or did I miss this?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Crazy Achmed posted:

So is there even an option to follow Savinkov's orders instead of stowing away on board the boat? Or did I miss this?
Nope. Presumably the last chapter kept quizzing you on the details of the conspiracy to make sure you were paying attention as to why that was the only option (among others things).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Sorry about the delay - as opposed to the previous chapter, which was (by KGB standards) action-packed, the next chapter is all text, all the time. Lots and lots and lots and lots of text.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Update 32

Maks heads back to Hotel Hotel to regroup and retrieve his equipment.

: I hope they took nothing important from your room.

Maks rushes upstairs to discover:

That the unknown burglars took all his stuff as well as the body stashed in the closet. Convenient?

A short shower - only cold water is available, naturally - to wash off the Leningrad bay grime, Maks paces across the room, trying to figure out his next move.

: Think, Maks, think! What do we know? The extent of the conspiracy? No. Its goals? No. The content or purpose of that crate? Just some baseless assumptions. Their next move? Not as such. Except...

Savinkov posted:

: At 09:00, the fourth member of our group will pick up the package and transport it to its final destination. Now I must beg your pardon, as I should ensure everything is going smoothly on deck.

: The fourth member! I only know one more person who's involved in the conspiracy. The mysterious Mr X.

: Let's just hope this lead pans out - I don't have anything else to go on.

A nerve-wracking wait later...

A car drives out of the Department 7 garage.

You hail a cab!

The cab driver follows Agabekov's car towards the suburbs, but suddenly loses him! You order the driver to patrol the area... Turning into a three-lined street, you catch sight of the major climbing into his parked car.

You get out of the cab, which turns around and roars away.

There's nothing about the building that identifies it - I suppose if we have to ask, we don't need to know. Nothing for it but to head inside.

: Captain Rukov, KGB.

: I must see some I.D, comrade.

You show him your I.D card.

: I will take you to comrade Litvinov, the director.

: He said he would call me later, but made no mention of your coming. What more can I tell you?

: There is little to tell. Protopopov arrived on schedule. The crate was opened, and drugs were administered to bring him gradually back to consciousness.
Unfortunately, the duty nurse, Saneyeva, seems to have wandered into room 3, in a flagrant breach of my clear instructions, and noticed Protopopov.

: Some twenty minutes later, Saneyeva activated the alarm and both guards rushed to the scene, leaving the entrance unattended. It was child's play for the group of four men to penetrate the building and kidnap Protopopov. That's all there is to the story.

: Who were these four men?

: Traitors, comrade! Armed hooligans hiding their faces behind masks!

: What do you know of New Birth?

: Nothing. This is the first time I've heard of it.

: What was to be done to Protopopov?

: You don't know?

: Merely testing you, Litvinov. You stood up well!

: Yes... Thank you, comrade captain!

: Where did Agabekov take the nurse?

: What else do you know?

: That's all I know, comrade.

: I see. Thank you comrade, I'll see myself out.

: Right. I'm sure these glorified hall monitors know a great deal, but just for the sake of formality:

: Name?

: Bagrichev, comrade captain.

: Akulov, comrade captain.

: Job?

: ???

: Protopopov?

: Who?

: What?

: Kidnappers?

: We didn't see them.

: We were investigating the alarm.

: I dunno.

: Nicht spreche zie Russlish.

: Where did you go when the alarm sounded?

: To the store-room at the end of the corridor.

: It was a false alarm, triggered by Saneyeva.

: Well done! Have a cookie.

: :3:

: :)

: Why do I have the impression that the patients may know more than the guards and administrator both?

A nondescript hospital room. Everything appears to be solid and well maintained. The window is barred from the outside. The occupant appears to be nervous.

: And how are we feeling today?

: What do you imagine will happen to them?

: Now that our shop and properties were confiscated by the Reds - I mean, the heroic Bolshevik Liberators, what is to become of them?

: What Bolshevik Liberators?

: I see.

: Trotsky was killed a long time ago.

: Oh! His sacrifice will spur the comrades to heroic feats!

: What can you tell me about the nurses?

: There are no nurses here.

: Then who takes care of the patients?

: Ah. Anything you can tell me about Saneyeva or the recent disturbance?

: I know nothing, I swear!

: What of Litvinov?

: A true Bolshevik?

: Hmm. What about... Tsibulenko?

On the way out, Maks notes:

The next room is identical, and holds a disoriented patient.

: And how are we today?

: Can you tell me about...

: The sky, the sky! It was here! I can't seem to... last time I could?

: Right. Just calm down, I'm sure you'll be healed soon enough.

The next room holds:

The patient is catatonic, and fails to react to outside stimuli.

However, there is something different about this room. A door. A door through which Maks slips.

: Hey! Let me out!

A bare room with two doors. No one responds when you knock on them. The chair is bolted to the floor.

A tinny voice comes from the direction of the metal grating.

: Do not be alarmed. Be seated, if you wish. No harm will come to you.

After a few moments, the voice continues.

: I know that being locked in a strange room can be distressing; I myself am not immune from claustrophobia. This will not take long, however; I'm just going to ask you a few questions.

: I'm a KGB officer. Open the doors!

: Fascinating! But first, my questions, yes?

: I have no intention of answering your questions until you open the door!

: What are your feelings at the moment?

:... I feel frustrated.

: What would you like to do in order to relieve, this, uh, frustration?

: I want to speak to professor Tsibulenko.

: This may indicate a desire to be healed. Excellent! Will you answer my questions now?

: Are you Tsibulenko?

: Who I am is not at issue. We must work to discover who precisely YOU are, beneath your psychosis. This is why you must submit to my questions. Shall we begin?

: If anyone's psychotic around here, it's not me!

: Perhaps you will calm down in a few moments.

: Hey! Hey, let me out!

The minutes trickle away. The room grows suffocating.

The voice speaks again.

: All right. I'll answer your questions.

: A sensible attitude! Please answer the following questions as truthfully and sincerely as you can.

: No.

: What color do you associate with carrots?

: Orange.

It may be just your imagination, but it seems as though the room temperature increased several degrees over the last few minutes.

: Is water dry or wet?

: Water is rectangular. As you should well know, doctor.

: You haven't been entirely honest in your answers. Compulsive lying is a symptom I am familiar with. Let us continue.

: Yuri Gagarin.

: A lie. What is your name?

: Uh... my name is Protopopov.

: Intriguing. You evidently do not believe it, yet it's true. What is your profession?

Are the ventilation ducts in this room malfunctioning? There appears to be something wrong with the air circulation.

: Just open the doors. I work for Agabekov.

: A typical paranoid ploy - identification with the perceived persecutor. Please give what you believe to be true answers. Your profession?

: As I told you, I'm a KGB officer. Now open the doors!

: You have completely deluded yourself into believing this to be true. Paranoids are frequently subject to this syndrome; you identify with your "persecutor". Do you think art is a significant aspect of culture?

: I've had enough! Call Litvinov. I'm Rukov!

: The delusion appears to be deeply rooted. Have you always been a traitor, Protopopov?

: I am not Protopopov. I'm looking for him!

: Yes, you honestly believe what you say. In your deranged mind, you became a KGB officer, and your quarry is your real self!

Your temples pound fiercely. Black spots swim on the edge of your vision.

: I am going to help you, Protopopov. Will you trust me?

: Yes! I will trust you to make me better.

: You are lying, Protopopov. Answer the question.

: Call Litvinov! Ask about Rukov! I'm Rukov!

: Nobody informed me about your new personality. This could take longer than I expected. Excuse me for a few moments.

You wait, taking careful, shallow breaths. A few minutes (or is it hours?) later, the voice speaks again.

: Captain Rukov? I have checked with Litvinov. Please come in.

The doors both click loudly. Their remote-controlled locks have been released.

Maks controls his urge to bolt out. Instead, he straightens himself up, and tries to look as relaxed and authoritative as possible before he calmly walks through the door.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 28, 2014

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Uh.... :stare:

Conspiracy is certainly an apt name for this game.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

tanglewood1420 posted:

Uh.... :stare:

Conspiracy is certainly an apt name for this game.

It certainly goes weird places.

I must admit I had absolutely no idea that soviet cartoon existed. It's hilarious for many, many reasons.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

drat :stare:

That was an interesting turn of events at the end there.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
After marathoning this thread I decided to make a thing.

There didn't seem like much point putting the Chapter 4 characters in as we barely know anything about them yet and we're likely to know a lot more in a few updates time. I kind of got bored towards the end and it shows a bit, but still someone was requesting a character chart.

Oh and the 'Retro' look is not because I'm an idiot who has no sense of style, but because I'm evoking the era of the game. Or at least that's what I tell myself.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Good chart.

I'm calling it now - Drobnista is Cutthroat.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Heh I kept getting Chapkin and Agabekov confused because they look so much alike.

Also I guess Verto and Yakuchev served together right? I actually thought they were the same person at first.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, so that was the package. poo poo. We may be too late.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

How on earth is anyone supposed to hold all this poo poo in their head at once? :psyduck:

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Ratoslov posted:

How on earth is anyone supposed to hold all this poo poo in their head at once? :psyduck:

There is more to come, by time this game is over the chart will resemble one for 'Gravity's Rainbow'.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Update 33

Maks paces back and forth across the room, trying to project an air of authority and control. He observes things with an idle curiosity.

The professor has a bird-like character, with beady, darting eyes.

: How can I be of help?

: Well well... uh... well. Professor Tsibulenko. Interfering with a KGB officer on active duty. Just an accident, it would seem. Overtly dedicated to your duties?

: Classified information, comrade captain. Let's just say that I work in the field of personality reconstructing.

: This is an official investigation. I want details.

: Your colleague, major Agabekov, knows everything. If he hasn't informed you, you mustn't expect me to.

: He ordered me to investigate. I expect full cooperation.

: Feel free to inspect our facilities, but don't expect me to divulge state secrets!

Maks paces back and forth, trying to look undiscouraged. He examines the equipment behind Tsibulenko.

A microphone is pointed into the green room. It is connected to the large amplifier. The amplifier has a number of wires coming out of it. It's connected to the red light bulb, the loudspeaker and the directional microphone in the green room wall cavity. A couple of wires connect the amplifier to the rubber plant.

: Describe all this equipment and its role in your research.

: I use these items for my work. They are of little interest, and I would prefer not to reveal classified information.

: Very well, Tsibulenko. I respect such consciousness.

: Thank you, comrade captain.

: What were you going to do to Protopopov, and why?

: I see.

Maks paces back and forth once more, idly inspecting the lab.

: Ah! My E.S.P cards. I use them to test extra-sensory perception. It's very simple, if you care to use them. You pick a card without seeing which of the five symbols is printed on its front side. The idea is to guess the symbol. You note down your guess, and move on to the next card. When you've done all 25, you check your answers. If you got more than five guesses right, you have E.S.P talent. Chance being what it is, it is advisable to repeat the experiment at leas three times.

We can't actually test Maks for E.S.P though. As a good communist, he does not believe in superstitious rubbish anyway.

: What do you know about New Birth?

: A secret code-name, I suppose. This is the first I've heard of it.

: Tell me about nurse Saneyeva.

: She seemed competent. Your colleague will surely convince her to explain herself.

: Who and where is Protopopov?

: I know no more than Litvinov. It seems that Protopopov was kidnapped by men in masks.

: Stonewalled at every turn. Time to start pressing buttons.

The lab door clicks. The green diode besides the button you just pushed goes out, while the red diode flashes on.

: PLEASE - don't do that. I must keep the doors open. In case of an emergency, you see.

: That's a start. What about...

From the outside, the cabinet looks like a solidly built closet. Looking inside it, you see an astonishing array of wires, loudspeakers, and eye-level screens, with just enough space for a person to stand in the center.

: Please do not tamper with the equipment. This is a very fragile apparatus.

: And now for some metaphorical buttons.

: Tell me about your patients.

: The three men? Deeply psychotic, all of them. My work may provide hope for such cases. I can tell you no more.

: Are they schizophrenic like me?

: A regrettable error, for which I've apologized. Don't let it rankle, captain. Paranoia can be quite the handicap in your profession.

: What is that big cabinet for?

: That is not a question I am at liberty to discuss.

: Your attitude could get you into deep trouble, Tsibulenko.

: Hmph. Address your complaints directly to the major, if you please.

: Explain your relations with Agabekov.

: He hasn't told you? If your superior hasn't, then I won't.

: Agabekov is not my superior.

: A major is not superior to a captain? Come now, comrade.

: Agabekov and I do not work together.

Tsibulenko suddenly bolts out the door and into the green room!

: Oh no you don't!

You hear his shouts through the loudspeaker on the table...

: Open the doors, Rukov!

: Do not be alarmed. Be seated, if you wish. No harm will come to you.

: You have no right to lock me in here! I command you to open the doors!

: Very interesting, I'm sure. But first, my questions?

: Open the doors and I will forget this incident.

The red light-bulb blinks.

: Tell me about your work.

: You are a fool! Open the doors.

The light does not react.

: Tell me about Agabekov.

: There is no point to continuing this farce, comrade. You'll get nothing out of me!

Blink.

: Tell me about Protopopov.

: Just open the doors, Rukov! Press the button on the bench!

No blink.

: What were you doing to Protopopov and why?

: There is no way you can force me to talk!

Blink.

: Do you know Savinkov?

: You need treatment, Rukov!

No blink.

: Perhaps you should take a few minutes to calm down.

Rukov waits nonchalantly. Tsibulenko replies within a minute.

: I am a psychiatrist! I heal people whose minds are deranged. That's all.

The red bulb is blinking constantly now, so I'll only make note when it does not.

: A lie. Tell me about your work.

: I have already fully explained all that!

: Very well. Describe all this equipment and its role in your research.

: Mere monitoring equipment. The plant reacts to volume and sends a signal to the amplifier, which in turn flashes the red light-bulb. It's an experiment to see at what volume the plant begins to deteriorate.

: Are you sure that's all you can tell me about your equipment?

: I have answered this question already!

No blink.

: Tell me about the patients.

: Sick men. Schizophrenics. I'm doing what I can to save them.

: Explain your relationship with Agabekov.

: As you know, Protopopov was removed before I could see him.

: What do you know about New Birth?

: Nothing.

No blink.

: I saw her rarely and had no particular opinion of her.

: Tell me more about Saneyeva.

: Just a nurse. Another uniform to me.

: What were you doing to Protopopv and why?

: Just another patient I was asked to examine.

: Do you know Savinkov?

: No.

: I want to know about Litvinov.

: He is an excellent administrator and a fine communist.

: Really? That empty suit?

: An example of Soviet manhood at its most admirable.

: What's that big cabinet for?

: Stay away from there Rukov, for your own good!

No blink.

: This is going to far, captain. Release me, we both have work to do!

: Hmm. Perhaps a few hours in there will make you relaxed enough to cooperate.

: Open the doors, Rukov!

Maks steps into the cabinet.

You close the door and stand in darkness...

A little overwhelmed by the vision of your dead father, you step back into the laboratory. It takes a moment for Tsibulenko's shrill screams to reach you.

: I can cut out the diseased portions of your warped brain! Let me help you!

: Excellent. Tell me about your work.

: My work is revolutionary, Rukov! First, the subjects personality is eliminated. I create a blank mind, which I provide with an entirely new personality! What's more, I can create multiple personalities in one subject! Completely different people in one body! These are the early days, naturally, but soon my dream will be a reality!

: So the patients here...

: Are my guinea-pigs. Golubev in room 3 was the first.

: You can switch between them with the trigger word "Saliva", but he remains an imbecile. Rechetov is room 1 is an improvement. I managed to give him two new identities. The trigger-word to switch is "Pavlov". Unfortunately, both identities share the same kind of personality. Tiskyevich in room 2 is my most recent acquisition. A fine mind, if socially unsound. His memory is now reduced to almost nothing. He craves an identity, memories, likes and dislikes! Soon he will have three distinct personalities, all different. Maybe more. Why not ten or even fifty!

: What were you going to do to Protopopov and why?

: My orders were to check the stability of his new personality. I was told nothing more. Agabekov was to give me more instructions today.

: Litvinov was a fool to employ her! I inspected her belongings; she's a religious fanatic, a member of Pamyat! Pamyat is "Memory", as you know. I could have treated her to some real memories. Instead she prefers the naive fantasies of those rabid revolutionaries. She's in love with an artist that paints religious scenes!

: Right. And... what is that big cabinet for?

: I used the memories he discovered deep in his mind to create a new identity for him. Some subjects also display a heightened level of perception after a session.

Maks unlocks the door and steps inside the green room.

: I supppose basic human kindness requires me to help him. Siiiigh.

The guards drag the inert Tsibulenko into the store-room at the end of the hall, and lock the door.

: One way to do it, I guess. Let's see what effect our magic words have.

: Hey buddy - Pavlov.

: What can you tell me about Protopopov or his kidnappers?

: Sir, I know nothing, I swear!

: What about Agabekov?

: There was a cobbler named Agabekov in our village. He went to war and got killed. In 1915, I think. Three years ago.

: Litvinov?

: Aha. Tsibulenko?

: A man of vision!

: Get some rest.

In the next room:

: Pavlov.

: Fair enough. And I don't really expect much from Golubev, but...

: Saliva.

: Where are we taking him?... To the Motherland. Quickly now! Careful!... drat, it's heavy. Just don't drop it. We need Sleeping Beauty here in good shape...

The patient is catatonic, and fails to react to outside stimuli.

: A clue. A clue I have no idea how to decipher, but a clue nonetheless! Tsibulenko, for the first and last time in your miserable sadistic career, your mad doctor skills came in handy.

: Tsibulenko is having some sort of attack.

: Yes, that happens sometimes. He prefers to be left alone when that happens. He feels ashamed. A strange attitude, in my opinion.

: I would like nurse Saneyeva's address.

: Major Agabekov took all the information regarding her.

: Well. Give my regards to the major then, and tell him I hope to see him soon.

: Uh... certainly, comrade captain.

We leave the building and head back to Hotel Гостиница.

: I'd take care, if I were you; he's Pamyat! Why they choose to call themselves "Memory", I can't imagine. One more thing though - you may be too late already!

Your down and out informant shuffles off down a side street and is soon out of sight.

Join Maks next update, as he hunts the most dangerous prey of all.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh now that is interesting. Time to finally meet Yakuchev.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Elite posted:

After marathoning this thread I decided to make a thing.

Very impressive. The one error I can find offhand is not connecting Obukov to Savinkov and co.

I'd do a write up of Pamyat and Political Psychiatry in the Soviet Union... but man, I already wrote, like, a lot. Like, ugh, man.

Edit - Before I actually got to this part, I alternately remembered Tsibulenko as Dr. Cranium and the lab tech from Hopkins FBI. Turns out I wasn't far off in either direction.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 28, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The interrogation sequence reminds me of a bit from Clancy's The Cardinal of the Kremlin. An American agent is captured at one point, drugged, and then put into a high-tech sensory deprivation tank. Not only are his eyes and ears covered, but he's also suspended in a special gel so that every sense is completely cut off from input. The guy basically goes insane after around twenty hours in the tank.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Very impressive. The one error I can find offhand is not connecting Obukov to Savinkov and co.

So you retracted the "Mr X and Agabekov aren't connected as the same person" complaint? Soviet revisionism at its finest, comrade!

Honestly I wasn't sure on the best way to connect that Victor Manslev group. I think a link between Obukov and Savinkov would be good, but Wallace-Obukov seems unnecessary (little direct interaction between them and they would already be connected through Savinkov and Formichov) and Agabekov-Obukov seems unnecessary when "Mr X" is listed separately.

I also look forward to introducing a "Mind Control" connection from the professor.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Elite posted:

I also look forward to introducing a "Mind Control" connection from the professor.

Don't expect to use it a lot, his experiments are only just now reaching a useable form.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A monument to Soviet science, comrade!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

What's the deal with the blink and the no blink? Is it just a volume sensor which will be relevant later or something else?

• Locked thread