Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
Jeez it's like some of you have never watched Top Chef before. The producers playing up the drama? Unheard of! Ridiculous challenges barely related to cooking? Scandalous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
The current theory about the LCK winner in my house is: Louis, because we see that the winner has hands on hips behind the palm fronds, and that "is only a pose that Louis does"

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
If Carlos does not win LCK they should make Nick use him as one of his sous chefs.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

tomapot posted:

If Carlos does not win LCK they should make Nick use him as one of his sous chefs.

This is really the ideal outcome.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

It really isn't, because that would mean either Shirley or Nina was booted instead of Nick as you only get Sous for the final challenge. No, the ideal situation would be for Nick to lose prior to the finale and end up being teamed up with Carlos as a Sous for somoene else...I'm thinking Nina.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Has there been confirmation that this year is not a stupid live finale where they have to serve 200 people?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Louis! :woop:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Anybody but Nick at this point!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Nick was cooking with Spam and still underseasoned somehow. How the hell is he still here?

edit "Sodium problems". Et tu, Sam Choy?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
:barf:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nina is scaring the poo poo out of me with that machete

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Any result that isn't an all-female finale is a farce.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Louis is clearly out. Hopefully Nick too. gently caress Nick forever.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nick destroyed it. Good for him.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I can't possibly see Nick winning the season given the season's editing, but still, this is a travesty that Shirley isn't there.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Ugh, bummer. Go Nina, kick Nick's rear end.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery
Wow that is a big ol' bunch of bullshit.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Shirley sousing. I guess that's what Nick's advantage is.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Man gently caress that guy who clearly made the best dish. What a load of poo poo that he moved on.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

sportsgenius86 posted:

Man gently caress that guy who clearly made the best dish. What a load of poo poo that he moved on.

It didn't seem like an unfair result. It's just disappointing given the rest of the season where Nick has been both 1.) consistently underwhelming 2.) kind of a prick.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

The previews look like Nick definitely got the lovely end of the stick sous chef-wise.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I realize that I am yet again posting about spam but I am compelled to ask why someone would go to a cooking competition set in Hawaii and be surprised by its inclusion

antisocial
May 26, 2004

Only pretending to be the world's worst poster!
Keep it on the down low (down low)
Nobody has to know...

jscolon2.0 posted:

It didn't seem like an unfair result. It's just disappointing given the rest of the season where Nick has been both 1.) consistently underwhelming 2.) kind of a prick.

Nick was the only one of those 4 that I didn't want in the finale (for the exact above stated reasons) His food all season looked good, but he had plenty of issues with flavor. So long as Nina kills I won't be disappointed with the end result.

Debbie Metallica posted:

I realize that I am yet again posting about spam but I am compelled to ask why someone would go to a cooking competition set in Hawaii and be surprised by its inclusion

I really don't get why people were surpised either. I do understand not preparing any recipes for it, though, as the flavor profile shouldn't be that foreign to a chef (salty and hammy).

Also, last week while I was in Los Angeles, my wife and I stopped into ink for dinner. I was really excited to try Michael Voltaggio's food though I found most of the dishes to be just fine. If anyone cares here's my impressions of the meal we had.

oysters, half dozen, mignonette ice - Really tasty but this was mostly because the oysters were fresh and delicious...while I will give credit for restraint and allowing the product to shine and the fact that you can't really do anything innovative with mignonette ice, I felt like I've had this plenty of times before.

beef tartare, hearts of palm, sea bean chimichurri, horseradish - Served with rye crisps and horseradish snow. I really wished the horseradish was a bit more assertive. An enjoyable dish, though.

potato charcoal, housemade sour cream, black vinegar - Way too many potatoes if that's a complaint. Nothing special.

egg yolk gnocchi, mushroom brown butter, hen of the woods - Highly recommended by other reviewers...but I found it to be a bit lacking. Maybe it was just me but it felt like it needed more salt and the yolk was not runny enough.

beef short rib, radish noodles, puffed tendon, pho broth - Not nearly enough glaze on the short rib. Too little pho broth. Thought this dish was lacking flavor which would have been helped the aforementioned. The puffed tendon was probably my favorite part.

branzino, roasted cauliflower, caper, fermented grape - This was delicious. I loved everything about it. It came with a cauliflower two ways. The puree was so good I couldn't get enough of it. Very balanced flavors.

apple, caramel, shortbread, burnt wood semifreddo - This was a deconstructed apple pie. It tasted just like apple pie when all the components (which were interesting on their own) were together. An enjoyable take especially since I'm not a fan of raw apples.

Maybe my expectations were set too high because I left with the feeling that only one dish met them. I did really enjoy the fact that the plates were designed to be shared so splitting dishes with my wife was pretty simple (two sets of protien for the fish and short rib dishes). I'd most likely return if I was in LA again mostly because I enjoyed the branzino that much as well as the tasty and suprisingly strong cocktails.

TedKoppel
Nov 30, 2002

They sure look ripe to me.

Debbie Metallica posted:

That bit reminded me of the one episode towards the beginning of the season, when they went to New Orleans and got told to make jambalaya. I can't remember who, but someone asked if you started it with a veloute sauce.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Dang it. Go Nina.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
great semi-final, after taking a few months break from watching cooking shows I marathoned through Top Chef and thought this season was pretty solid. The final 4 were all people you felt belonged there, good people (Nick's little temper tantrums aside), and you really felt bad about Shirley and Louise not making the cut. I am really, really glad they did away with the really idiotic challenges and guest appearances, most of the season was really straightforward "cook good food", and it'll be nice to have a head to head finale.

Either chef winning would be great in my book, and I would want to eat in any of the places that contestants worked at this year. Actually going to dig around and try to see where Shirley is working in Vegas, would love to eat her food in the next few weeks.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

spronk posted:

Either chef winning would be great in my book, and I would want to eat in any of the places that contestants worked at this year. Actually going to dig around and try to see where Shirley is working in Vegas, would love to eat her food in the next few weeks.

She's in-between places, and apparently looking to start her own restaurant. Hopefully that actually happens (*cough* Jen Carroll *cough*), but go to China Poblano anyway. Hands down the best meal I had in Vegas.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

jscolon2.0 posted:

She's in-between places, and apparently looking to start her own restaurant. Hopefully that actually happens (*cough* Jen Carroll *cough*), but go to China Poblano anyway. Hands down the best meal I had in Vegas.

Sweeeet, I'm there in March, I'll definitely check it out. Incidentally, the best meal I've had in Vegas is also the best meal I've had in my life, and that was at Aureole.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Nick given an absurd advantage, and just throws his picks away.

But the real tragedy is someone walks into that scene wearing a swimsuit, and it's not Janine.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Nick obviously got the team he wanted though, and I think he gave Shirley away as a courtesy.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

And Nicholas has cursed out his waitstaff already. Everybody, drink.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

jscolon2.0 posted:

And in the finale, he STILL is under-seasoning his stuff. Even after mentioning during the prep that he needed to season his stuff more.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

jscolon2.0 posted:

He makes it hard to root for him.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

GODDAMNIT :lol:

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
I hate.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Oh, for gently caress's sake. Goddammit.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

This is some bullshit.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
fuuuuuuuuuuck that

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Can't watch yet but I assume Nick won huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Stupid. gently caress Tom for calling Nick "humble."

• Locked thread