Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CarForumPoster posted:

trail mix and dmd

No no no, DMD flavored slurpees. And trail mix, but let it cold-soak in the freezer first. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Working on my surprise for CFRC Frankenslide today at the shop.

:siren: MY GIRLFRIEND :siren: (who appears to be doing a Miley Cyrus impersonation) helped me get the ball rolling on this one.

Our victims.

This is what happens when I am left to my own devices.

Bzzzt!

Hoping this makes brains that don't stain.

...Brains?

It started to smell like my high school bus in the mornings with all the wet hair gel.

Imagine a door hinge sound here.

And now to papier mch the heads closed again.

Started to run out of time here for the day.

Letting these dry over night. I'll be back in the shop in the morning.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You should try throwing those brains at some paint to check if they stain.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

A short Monday update.

I have more tools than I do room, by far. This was after 3 hours of cleaning today.

I have all kinds of new stuff because I hired my old manager at Mazworx! You are going to see some serious poo poo now.

Some of you following along since the start may remember this picture I drew.

Here is a Borg Warner EFR turbo manifold I made. The EFR manifolds own and there is zero reason to buy another brand right now.

Welp, see ya!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Where do you order your SS sch 10/11 bends?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

http://www.rawbrokerage.com/stainless-steel-schedule-10-pipe/

Why from right here, of course.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That is the best answer.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

My pricing owns by the way, I had to do some DEALINGS to get that price so low. That is also the exact same pipe I use, so don't think I am holding out.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
What is your opinion of JGS Turbo's pipe sets? I'm hoping to turbo the Charade engine for Chumpcar/LeMons and wanted to know the best way to deal with it. Its using a tiny T25 (think .48 A/R), so compact packaging is a must.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I had to look them up. Are you talking about making a simple log style manifold?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

ultimateforce posted:

I have all kinds of new stuff because I hired my old manager at Mazworx! You are going to see some serious poo poo now.

Welp, see ya!
I can't remember, but is the manager the one who had you making supply carts and didn't know how to run things, or was that the owner of Mazworx (if that's a different person)?

Glad to see you doing well for yourself! Keep it up.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

The owner of Mazworx wants everyone to know how smart he thinks he is. I hired his shop manager who actually kept the place running.

Owned.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Good job. When can I pick up my single-port EJ22 header?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Too much competition in EJ stuff for me right now.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
That was a good answer, haha. Shipping across the county might kill it, USPS flat rate? I need to find some scrap locally to practice on.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ultimateforce posted:

Too much competition in EJ stuff for me right now.

There is zero competition for the single-port EJ22. Even OBX bailed out of the market!

Unfortunately the only people that want it are pre-02 Outback Sport owners.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

the spyder posted:

That was a good answer, haha. Shipping across the county might kill it, USPS flat rate? I need to find some scrap locally to practice on.

If you are just learning to weld don't start with SS pipe.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
The BMW M10 is a fantastic engine for turbocharging, but there aren't any good options for a manifold. There is one 19 year old kid somewhere in Alabama that will supposedly make one in his bathtub or something for you, other than that you're scouring the For Sale sections of various forums for kits that have been out of production since the 1970's. How many people would need to show interest to make building such a manifold a possibility?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Edit: Too early to reply to sass posts.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
No one makes a repro of the manifold for the 2002 turbo or are those not very good for what you want to do?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

rscott posted:

No one makes a repro of the manifold for the 2002 turbo or are those not very good for what you want to do?

Yeah, there are a bunch for E30s, but for 2002s there is the VAC one that sorta fits (with a lot of sledgehammer massage) and a bunch of your standard eBay crap that is probably a copy of the VAC design. All the designs currently out there that I see are side mount, which is great for E30s and will fit in an 2002 with some persuasion, but a bottom mount manifold would be preferred.

This is what the 2002 community would like. Now if only that guys website had been updated since 2011 or he responded to emails.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 9, 2013

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

ultimateforce posted:

If you are just learning to weld don't start with SS pipe.

Nope, been using a Syncrowave 180SD for ~5 years and now a Dynasty 200DX for the last few months. Just rusty on SS. Speaking of, I need to grab a few pounds of 309 on the way home tonight.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Oh well then, let me know what you are looking for and I'll see what I can do.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I am really liking having Joe help me figure out how to store things in the shop. He's hanging tools from the ceiling, I think he's a wizard.

Worked on the S13 project today. Guess who got fiberglass all over themselves? I ran out of my first 25' roll here, I'll have to order more. I want to do the whole exhaust to the muffler.

The shop next door The Garage to us put this light in a Porsche this evening.

This is my new TIG filler rod holder. Much nice than my old system of throwing it on the floor.

My table when I left tonight.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I'd wager you could do worse than selling manifolds to BMW guys that are used to paying high aftermarket prices.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I don't care for FF cars but man I want a Saab lately. What the hell?

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
I drove a friend's recently purchased 1998 turbo convertible. Even though it was automatic, it really was a lot of fun to drive. With a redone suspension, an ECU reflash, and a kicking stereo, you might have the most best convertible possible.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Not gonna lie, that light is pretty dope.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I was looking at a Volvo but S70 but $4k is a bit steep for a car that has minor issues that seem to be very expensive to fix.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

ultimateforce posted:

I was looking at a Volvo but S70 but $4k is a bit steep for a car that has minor issues that seem to be very expensive to fix.

Just ask Lloyd.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

ultimateforce posted:

I don't care for FF cars but man I want a Saab lately. What the hell?

Join us. It's Blissssssssssssssss.

The later model (NG) 900s from '96 to '98 are pretty good. Skip the '94 and '95. They both have 'new car' issues, the '94 for the non-vert, and the '95 vert with the mechanical linkage top which likes to eat itself. If you find one with a 4 speed slushbox, it's guaranteed to be completely destroyed, or go forever, there is no in between.

I fixed up a '96 900 Turbo for a friend - $1500 for the car, $600 for parts ($300 of it being a new DI Cassette), and it's been a daily driver for the last 8 months with no issues.

You can find first gen 93s for ~$2k if you're willing to cannibalize parts and fix the top yourself, or deal with a few leaks.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

If you're going to get a Saaab, get the best loving Saaab:

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4050127385.html

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

So I at looking over Saabs or Volvos for MAXIMUM REGULAR DAILY DRIVING duty for the girlfriend and I to drive. The current front runner is this 1999 S70.

I've already run the vehicle history report, if you want to too knock yourself the hell out.

Stupid reflections.

My girlfriend likes the color. At least it is not red (the worst color).

The front and price. It will be $4500 out the door if we choose to buy it.

Very clean underbody. I've seen a lot worse on newer cars.

The rub:
11/21/2006 OVIEDO, FL
Accident Source MINOR ACCIDENT OR VEHICLE DAMAGE REPORTED: LEFT FRONT CORNER

I saw evidence of over spray on the front core support when I looked under the bay. I'll take it for a test drive tomorrow and really see what's up with it. The interior is SUPER clean with no rips or creases in the leather which is the big selling point right now. The cracked paint on the bumper is a real bummer. I am itching to have a nice car around in the fleet. Tomorrow I am looking for the throttle body replacement (a yellow sticker?) and checking the suspension for damage.

Bonus crash test video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUUTZdq78Ac

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

You just jinxed yourself.

\/\/\/ edit: Jesus, you can weld. Those are loving awesome.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 15, 2013

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

:siren: Bonus welding pictures. :siren:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

sharkytm posted:

You just jinxed yourself.

\/\/\/ edit: Jesus, you can weld. Those are loving awesome.

Thanks but the big thing is that I am super relaxed at work right now. With my old manager back with me I was where I was at Mazworx last week, and improved this week over my old best.

:c00lbert:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

If you come across a spare LS1 send it up my way. I have a 240 to put it in.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ultimateforce posted:

The rub:
11/21/2006 OVIEDO, FL
Accident Source MINOR ACCIDENT OR VEHICLE DAMAGE REPORTED: LEFT FRONT CORNER

Even before seeing that, I could tell it'd been hit in the front. Looks like more than the LF corner though; the RF lights don't line up either. Gonna guess the upper core support is tweaked.

Still, if the chassis is straight, all you need to fix the :downs: look is a block of wood and a mallet. And you can probably use the history report + possible tweaked core to your advantage when it comes to haggling.

tl;dr I'd drive it.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

All the BMWs, Saabs, and Volvos I am look at are complete garbage in our price range ($3-4k). :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Coredump posted:

If you come across a spare LS1 send it up my way. I have a 240 to put it in.

If you really want one I can sell you a whole swap in a crate. It's a project we are working on now. Complete turn key S13/S14 swap. All the hard work done, you can have it running in a weekend.

• Locked thread