Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Still getting ready to drive.

I think I decided on Toyota Spruce Green Mica for the respray down the line.

http://gtcarlot.com/colors/Toyota/Tundra/2010/Spruce+Green+Mica/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I'm now doing a thing were I look like characters from TV shows.

Packed up my trunk to go drift racing tomorrow. Yeehaw!!

Sprayed off most of the junk.

See ya tomorrow with an update on how I wrecked my car.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That actually looks pretty loving great...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ultimateforce posted:

Packed up my trunk to go drift racing tomorrow. Yeehaw!!

Fab up a new trunk lid with a bulge that lets you fit a spare pair of wheels in standing upright.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

ultimateforce posted:

Que?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

He's taking it drifting...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ultimateforce posted:

This is sooooooo good.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I am sunburned.

Got to the track at 9:45am with a tech inspection at 10:00am. I saw that the new skid pad area still had Formula D teams on it and I knew I just got ripped off to an extent. This is when I found out next Saturday is the skid pad private beginner day.

If you wanted to make a sweet tire swing I found a bunch of free tires for you.

I reserved my spot on the grass under a tree to escape the heat.

A behind the scenes peek at the facilities at Orlando Speed World. This bathroom is completely devoid of light at night and has an odor.

Tried to do a panorama of the plumbing but it didn't work. It's just a garden hose that runs outside. Shockingly there were no paper towels.

"Be in your car with your helmet on and ready!"

I was the only one who heard this.

So I skidded through my first run in this car the first time back on this track in about five years. S-chassis are stupid easy to drift and I had forgotten how simple it can be. That is when one of the TO REMAIN NAMELESS pro-am drivers started to complain she wasn't getting enough seat time. The staging worked like this:

Non-tandem (Class S) cars and tandem cars (Class A) lined up two by two on each side of the entrance ramp on to the track. An S car would go for 90 seconds (two laps), then two A class cars would go and do a lead and follow run (the equivalent of two laps).

Because there were less class A cars the whole group cycled twice before the S class finished their group. So naturally here comes the complaints. The S class was told to pit for an hour so the A class could get laps in. Lick by balls.

Anyway, I switched some tires around and baked in the sun for an hour before I did my second pass. The car was doing great then I started to feel a misfire and the engine stalled. I couldn't start it back up and I started to smell smoke. I coasted to the entrance and told the track attendant that my car was on fire. We popped the trunk to see my loving PIECE OF poo poo battery box strap let loose and my battery was both arcing the terminals on the trunk and spilling battery acid everywhere. We got the battery tipped the right way around and pulled the car back to the pits. Of course I ripped my aero off and broke my brand new turn signals.

I hooked everything back up and was able to start my car again. I was pretty burnt out at this point (also sunburnt) so I packed up all my gear and split. I'll hopefully fix some things this month and come back with fewer problems.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Diet Mt Dew spotted.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Damage report:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Circuit-Spo...T9Szktq&vxp=mtr

Not too bad.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Someone said I had skinny arms today.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I knew things were going too good lately. Apparently another lawyer bought some debt I owned and now I'm on the hook for another $9,000.

Wondering if I can sell the WRX and S14 and get another mini truck or something. I knew life was going too well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

How does that work? If the debt existed already how can you be worse off?

And can you buy your own debt for pennies on the dollar?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Cakefool posted:

How does that work? If the debt existed already how can you be worse off?

And can you buy your own debt for pennies on the dollar?

Looks like it got sold to an even more crooked law firm. I'm about to be sued for higher payments, and I've lost every case so far so things aren't looking good. I'm calling my lawyer tomorrow morning.

For those wondering, I received $0 from my car accident a year ago where I almost died.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
So wait, you lose every case whether you're culpable or not and whether you are on the defense or prosecution? You need a new lawyer that isn't a god drat idiot.

Also is the debt involved out-of-statute and can you gently caress them over hard for this?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
check the BFC thread about debt collection for some help

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

kastein posted:

So wait, you lose every case whether you're culpable or not and whether you are on the defense or prosecution? You need a new lawyer that isn't a god drat idiot.

Also is the debt involved out-of-statute and can you gently caress them over hard for this?

I am on lawyer number four currently. As far as I know it's all be funneled down to Miami.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I read up on the debt threat and the OP's situation is very similar to what I am dealing with. Tomorrow I am doubling down and attacking this again both guns blazing.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

kastein posted:

IANAL and it is a different state, but I had one account that a similar thing happened to. After 7 years, a debt is supposed to be written off and removed from record, but if it's sold to another party, that time is reset. At least that's what I found when doing some research.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

IANAL and it is a different state, but I had one account that a similar thing happened to. After 7 years, a debt is supposed to be written off and removed from record, but if it's sold to another party, that time is reset. At least that's what I found when doing some research.

Well, that sounds like bullshit. I'm not saying that what you say isn't true, I'm saying that if it is true, it's bullshit, and defeats the very purpose of the 7-year time-out, and whatever legislature ratified that should be severely beaten, after having a lien put on their property.
I mean, I'm aware that there is a whole economy based on buying and selling debt, and there are some very sleazy firms involved, but I thought the one defense we had was time...
Almost as bad as copyright law involving Disney.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I learned all I know about debt by watching this John Oliver vid

basically they aren't supposed to sue you if you are past the statute but that won't stop plenty of them from trying to collect anyway

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I'm almost positive that is not the case.

What I do know, however, is if you make a single payment on an old debt, the clock can then be reset, making it "new". I've had the clock reset after just calling to ask about a debt, probably due to confirming that yes, I am that person and yes I live at this address. Debt buyers can also update the debt, which will update the date of last activity, but the date of the original debt still stands.

Also, depending on the state, the SOL may be less than 7 years. In Texas, I can't be sued for anything over 4 years old (it can still be reported for 7 years though). The last several rounds of debt collection letters all have a disclaimer in tiny print stating that the debt is too old to be reported (even if I make a payment), and they can't sue me for it due to the age (which just makes me laugh, it's almost like they're telling me they know there's no way to collect on it but would I pretty please pay them anyway?). I've seen that notice on debts less than 7 years old, and I've seen it on a letter from someone trying to collect on an 11 year old debt.

IANAL even in my nightmares/dreams, but this has been my experience.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Looking for two used JDM 17x9 wheels. Way harder than I thought.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

ultimateforce posted:

Looking for two used JDM 17x9 wheels. Way harder than I thought.

Finding two wheels is drat near impossible, it took me three years to find two 17x8 SA3R's. I think it's due to all the JDM stuff being staggered. Have you checked with any vehicle importers? Sometimes a car will come with wheels that the importer takes off and sells separately or the person buying the car doesn't like.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

The first goon that brings me $600 for my 1UZ S13 with no title can have it. Make it quick.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

ultimateforce posted:

The first goon that brings me $600 for my 1UZ S13 with no title can have it. Make it quick.

I can't go back and read the entire thread; does it run and where is it?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gunI_vbCivo

Got a call back for a job interview making another $30k a year.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

ultimateforce posted:

So the shop is on hold?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Lack of money is what has the shop on hold.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

ultimateforce posted:

Good luck, UF!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Are Optima batteries really that bad now?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ultimateforce posted:

Are Optima batteries really that bad now?

Made in lovely parts of the world or something. Interstate makes good poo poo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I can't tell how much of Optima's bad reputation is likely Trump voters going :bahgawd: THEY'RE FUCKIN MADE IN MEY-XEE-COE WIT RECAHCLED MAHTERIALLSZZZZZ FUCKIN FURRIN TRASH :corsair: and how much is deserved.

That being said, I've never bought anything except bottom of the barrel AutoZone Duralast and Walmart store brand batteries and every one of them has survived just fine for my uses, usually dying due to me leaving them unused, connected to a car, and never charged for a year+, or letting them run down a few times by forgetting my headlights on for, oh, yeah, like a week or two.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I can't tell how much of Optima's bad reputation is likely Trump voters going :bahgawd: THEY'RE FUCKIN MADE IN MEY-XEE-COE WIT RECAHCLED MAHTERIALLSZZZZZ FUCKIN FURRIN TRASH :corsair: and how much is deserved.
Dude on GRM runs a AutoZone style parts store and said that there was a huge uptick in returns on Optima/Johnson batteries around the change but that it dropped after the first year.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Makes sense. Also, remember, Roadkill runs on "adoptima" batteries they get free because they're perfectly good returned units from idiots who can't diagnose an electrical system blaming their brand new Optima and returning it.

A blip after a change in ownership and production methods I can 100% understand, though. Wouldn't be surprised if the real answer is that they changed the production methods, stuff went wrong, and then they made changes as needed but the bad reputation has persisted.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
This is actually from an Amazon review, but it sounds like it's a government contractor:

quote:

I'll try to get this right, but some of the background info regarding Optima history may be off by a year or two.

First: 4 star rather than a 5 star rating. The warranty would need to match the longer warranties offered by others, and quality control tightened to earn five stars. Performance is normally excellent, so why not offer a longer warranty?

Gates Tire and Rubber invented/ designed/ developed the Optima and Genesis AGM batteries in the '80's/ early '90's. As I understand things, the Optima was intended for rugged/ abusive applications requiring the highest starting current, while the Genesis was intended for more sedentary uses and maximized charge/ volume by using flat plates. Both minimized venting and maintenance requirements.

The Optima brand was spun off to a Swedish company but the batteries continued to be manufactured in Aurora, CO. Johnson Controls purchased the Optima brand in ~2000 and continues to own the brand. All mfg was moved from Aurora to a suburb of Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, around late 2007. Genesis was spun off to Enersys, which used YAUSA to mfg these in China, Mexico and who knows where; I believe their premium Genesis EP series are made in Warrensburg, MO.

Optima Red Top battery design changed sometime in 2007. Apparently the glass mat was often pinched/ crimped leading to premature shorting and failure. Ratings of the 34/78 Red Top was reduced from 55 Ah to 50 Ah, the CCA rating remained at 800, and curiously, the warranty was reduced from 3 yr free replacement + 3 yr prorated, to 3 yr free replacement + 0 yr prorated. This roughly corresponded with moving the production to the Monterrey suburb, although a number of the newer style batteries were still made in Aurora in 2007. From my experience with a number of both batteries, the older Red Top 34/78, 55 Ah batteries were either the very best or very worst depending on the luck of the draw. All seem to lose Voltage faster than the newer design, but they were still much better than conventional flooded lead acid batteries, and generally tested above 10.5 V 2.5 years after mfg. If allowed to run down while on the pallet and then charged, these frequently would experience thermal runaway unless charged at a low rate, and if that problem was not incurred, they would frequently charge up only to fail open after, say 15 seconds at a 400 or 500 A draw. Optima apparently was aware of the problem yet did not tell customers. Optima sold a number of these for military applications, too, but it seems did nothing to correct the problem; nice to know when someone is shooting at you. But those that sat on the pallet for a long time of the older-design and that passed the high current load test seemed to surpass the performance of the newer design. Some batteries that failed early or lost Voltage quickly were found to be missing a vent cap. (Missing caps are rare, but they sometimes aren't there and are not noticed unless the cover is pried off. Optima may not even believe this.) Great quality control for a premium product.

All but about 5 or 50 batteries of the newer design left on the pallet for 4 years tested at 11.0 V or higher, so those claiming leakage should look for a electric system parasitic draw rather than blaming the battery; newer design charged Optimas just don't normally lose Voltage in a couple of months.

Because of their lower internal resistance, Optimas can accept a higher rate of charge and require less energy to fully charge.

Normal operation
Keep the battery at or above 12.5 V as much as possible to minimize sulfation. Spiral wound AGM batteries, while more resistant to sulfation, will sulfate and reversing it is tougher than with flooded lead acid batteries. NEVER allow the battery to fall below 10.5 V; recovery will be tough if below that and irreversible damage may result if left below that Voltage for long. Red Tops are not meant for deep cycling, which means these are intended to be charged soon after starting the engine.

A major cause of warranty claims for AGM batteries, not just Optimas, is early sulfation due to failure to fully charge the battery, which many charging system in late model vehicles fail to due in order to improve fuel economy so ever little. GM vehicles may be more likely to fully charge AGM batteries because their charging systems are reportedly set to a Voltage higher than other vehicle manufacturers; their OEM Delco batteries have larger spacing requiring higher Voltage to fully charge. Many battery chargers also fail to adequately overcharge the battery whereby the battery undergoes the full recombinant reactions restoring full performance. But it is also important not to overcharge the battery such that loss of electrolyte and overheating occur.

Best non-commercial battery charger for Optimas I have used so far: Interacter Inc. (and mfg in the USA), seems to give better end performance than CTEK 7002's. Both gave better results than Vector chargers, which performed okay on Optimas 11.5 V or higher, but the Interacter and CTEK would charge Optimas that had fallen to just a few Volts without having to resort to wiring the Optima battery in parallel with a battery already at 12+ Volts to fool the charger into charging, (Optima's recommended procedure for charging a depleted battery). Also, Interacter seemed to give about the right amount of overcharging. (Many smart chargers see the low Voltage/ low internal resistance as a failed battery and thus refuse to start charging.) Please do not try charging a battery less than 12 V below freezing; warm the battery to above freezing first, and do not forget a discharged battery allowed to freeze will likely suffer irreparable damage. If hot spots develop or venting occurs while charging, stop charging. Resume at a low rate after the battery has cooled. A battery that has been left setting for a long time at a low Voltage should be charged at a very low rate for the majority of charging. This can be followed by a high rate charge, say 50 A, for several minutes while ensuring no over heating or venting, to help restore performance. High-rate charging may open additional surface area that had been heavily sulfated and reduce grid point discharging (?).

All Optimas are not created equal. When performing high current load tests to evaluate the CCA ratings, I have seen 5 of 7 fully charged batteries from the same layer on a pallet fail open within seconds, and 13 of 44 on that pallet fail open, only to see none fail from other pallets of the same lot. Some batteries left uncharged on the pallet for several years perform as well as a factory fresh battery, and batteries left on the pallet for less than a year fail open during testing. Why? Do not expect an answer from Optima.

Charging Yellow Top(deep cycle/ starting) Optima batteries
Surprisingly, the Yellow Top batteries seem to lose Voltage a little more quickly than Red Top, but still both are less than flooded lead acid batteries. Now for charging, it is assumed the Voltage is at or above 10.5 V and that the battery has been in recent use. (Remember, never allow the Voltage to drop below this or expect the worst.) For a 50 Ah Yellow Top, charging can be fast, say 30 to 50 A, until reaching the Zero dV/dt, (Zereo Delta), point, at which reduce charging to 1 to 5 A and continue, charging an additional 3 to 5 Ah after reaching Zero Delta. New batteries may take 30 minutes for this last stage, while older batteries, 2 or 3 hours. This may extend battery life from 200 deep cycles to deep 500 cycles. NOTE: This is a general charging guideline and it is the responsibility of the reader/ user to ensure safe operation at all times. If using this charging technique, first review research articles found by Googling "national renewable energy lab, Optima battery, charging".

I hope this will help those who already have an Optima battery or thinking about purchasing one. Please share your experience if you have some better ideas and techniques.

120 of 124 people found this review helpful

This was written in 2012.

Tl;dr from what I can gather: the changed design is worse, but not that much worse. Also a lot of GM vehicles don't hit the slightly higher voltage AGMs need to fully charge to prevent sulfation, as a fuel efficiency thing?

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 5, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Geirskogul posted:

This is actually from an Amazon review, but it sounds like it's a government contractor:

This was written in 2012.

Tl;dr from what I can gather: the changed design is worse, but not that much worse. Also a lot of GM vehicles don't hit the slightly higher voltage AGMs need to fully charge to prevent sulfation, as a fuel efficiency thing?

You got that backwards, GM vehicles run a higher voltage on their OEM Delco batteries, so they're more likely to keep an Optima in good shape. I've had an old yellow-top as a general-use battery for almost a decade, it's been amazing. However, that's from an old run, made in CO. Nowadays, I buy whatever is made by Johnson Controls and is cheap. The OE battery in my Fit is 10 years old, and still works just fine.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I'm switching to a sealed battery after my last mini-accident left my S14 sidelined. I'm looking to run a more heavy-duty mount such as this one to prevent further problems.

http://www.artecindustries.com/Group-34-Optima-Battery-Mount_p_77.html

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Artec is good people and very well respected in the jeep/offroad world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

sharkytm posted:

You got that backwards, GM vehicles run a higher voltage on their OEM Delco batteries, so they're more likely to keep an Optima in good shape. I've had an old yellow-top as a general-use battery for almost a decade, it's been amazing. However, that's from an old run, made in CO. Nowadays, I buy whatever is made by Johnson Controls and is cheap. The OE battery in my Fit is 10 years old, and still works just fine.

Whoops, was going by my misreading of the review.

• Locked thread