Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Bimmi posted:

But nope, it's pretty much just "buy our playsets and toys." Oh well, can't say that this came as any great shock. This is a show being made for a particular kind of audience, the likes of which would not appear to include me.

Build Fighters isn't airing on the weekends, like most Gundam shows (including AGE). It's airing on Monday afternoons, a time slot specifically targeted towards children coming back from school.

Because it is a kids show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'd imagine if somebody blew up a MG Sazabi or The O the other person would probably be so livid they'd jump over the table and punch them in the face.

Imagine if there were PG competitions. Strike Freedom would fall apart within 30 seconds. :v:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

SpikeMcclane posted:

I actually really liked it for that very reason. If you look at the aftermath it's just popping them apart at the joints, so no physical damage beyond possibly chipped paint (which you could see did happen) and I felt bad for the lil dude since they had just played up how much effort he put into it. It's pretty much super advanced Warhammer right down to "Yo, jackass, get your horrible ham hands off my model!" and player attitudes.

Yeah, I was under the impression that parts were literally being sliced in half rather than just popping off the ball joints \ polycaps, because it looked like they sliced right through the Gyan with a beam saber and the parts where it cut were glowing orange and everything.

TaurusOxford posted:

Imagine if there were PG competitions. Strike Freedom would fall apart within 30 seconds. :v:

There's only a few kits to choose from and a PG match would probably end in physical violence. Especially if you broke Camille Bidan's PG Zeta. If you told him he has a girl's name to add insult to injury he would honest to God murder you for real.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Build Fighters isn't airing on the weekends, like most Gundam shows (including AGE). It's airing on Monday afternoons, a time slot specifically targeted towards children coming back from school.

Yeah, seriously. 'Gentle satire?' Come on son. It's a goofy cashgrab. You either enjoy that or you don't.

Also, 'the types of people who think filling their shelves with toys is a worthwhile pursuit?' Do those people really need mocking? I mean there are probably way better things to be spending money on, but they're toys. Who exactly is getting hurt when some turbonerd spends 600 dollars on a giant Big O? If the dude gets his rocks from that, who gives a poo poo?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I get the feeling from the first episode that there is going to be some goofy as poo poo twist.

Reiji is a ~newtype~ from another world. They're probably going to end up discovering Gunpla Battles are a gateway into some alternate reality or some poo poo.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

ImpAtom posted:

I get the feeling from the first episode that there is going to be some goofy as poo poo twist.

Reiji is a ~newtype~ from another world. They're probably going to end up discovering Gunpla Battles are a gateway into some alternate reality or some poo poo.

Ramba Ral DID pop up in the first episode, so, who knows? They could go full-crossover on this show.

That was some dorky poo poo, but I can't say it wasn't entertaining. Fights looked pretty decent too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The ancient Egyptians used Gunpla to decide who would become pharoah.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Maybe Sei's dad was from the universe where it's a good idea to build a Gunpla store away from train stations or shopping centers.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
The setting is actually a sort of Valhalla for dead Gundam characters, where they get to enjoy normal peaceful lives but can still have exciting mobile suit battles. Reiji is actually an SD Gundam given human form, and is still confused about Earth customs.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Just watching the first two minutes of this and I already enjoy it more than AGE because the lead character is fantasizing about being the lead in a serious Gundam show and loses when the arm of his Gunpla just falls off because he didn't fit it properly, comedy sound effects and all.

ImpAtom posted:

Opening up with the Gyan wrecking Wing Zero is the funniest loving way to start this show.

I wonder if the guy "piloting" it is the one who makes the Wing Fenice and this is the fight where it's damaged enough to inspire it's asymmetrical design.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

BlitzBlast posted:

Nothing that says a kid's show has to be as aggressively bland and content-free as this was, but then "wasted potential" is practically a cornerstone of the franchise at this point so I can't get too broken up about it.

And hey, if anyone feels that random MS whoopass and wacky cameos are enough to justify watching 24 hours of this poo poo then more power to 'em I guess. Definitely not MY thang.

Endorph posted:

Also, 'the types of people who think filling their shelves with toys is a worthwhile pursuit?' Do those people really need mocking?

Whenever possible!

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 7, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Can we also mock pseudo-intellectuals who post poo poo like 'obsessive-compulsive hyper consumerism?' in a thread for a glorified toy commercial?

Besides, if you don't think the other Gundam series were designed to sell toys too, then, uh, yeah. They might have aspired to do other things but there were still a lot of decisions, both plot and mech-design wise, that were influenced by that desire. There's a reason every protagonist gets a mid-season upgrade, and it's not to represent them growing and changing as people.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Endorph posted:

They might have aspired to do other things

That's kind of the key difference right there, mate.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I don't know how you could possibly expect any message but "Gunpla and the people who buy them are THE SUPER BEST!" coming out of this show. It would be another (hilarious) story if Tomino was writing it, but Bandai knows better than to let him touch the franchise anymore.

I'm amused so far, but I don't know if I'll be watching it for long. Hopefully they have a good, consistent animation budget and the story stays good-stupid instead of stupid-stupid. That's really all I'm asking for.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly my only real thought on the first episode is that it feels a lot like Heroman, which isn't helped by the protagonist's voice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bimmi posted:

That's kind of the key difference right there, mate.
Well, yeah, but at the same time if you're going to take an 'above it all' stance, isn't open-faced marketing better than 'coded' marketing? The latter is inherently deceitful, while the former is relatively harmless. The attempts at marketing betray any nobler aspirations the show might have had, while with this there's nothing to betray. If they want to create a massive plothole to cram a few more toys into the void left, they can do that without a single problem.

I can see not enjoying the show if you aren't into goofy-rear end-marketing-fuel like, as a random comparison, YuGiOh, but acting like you're a better person for not enjoying it is kind of silly.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Endorph posted:

isn't open-faced marketing better than 'coded' marketing?

It's less interesting, I'll say that much.

quote:

acting like you're a better person for not enjoying it is kind of silly.

What's silly is that you think this is actually the case.

edit: Look, I know you guys are doing the whole "you don't like <thing I like> and are therefore a HUGE DICK and actual human garbage" thing but my mind honestly does not work that way. Suppose you could maybe just accept the fact that someone doesn't like <thing you like> without getting defensive and hysterical about it?

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 7, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yes, you're obviously inherently a much better person for watching kids shows and discussing them online than someone who does the same but also enjoys collecting and possibly occasionally playing with the merchandise for said shows. Whatever were we thinking.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm already almost certain that the midseason upgrade is going to feature those two gems rocks somehow. It might even be a twin-seater, that'd be new.

Endorph posted:

The ancient Egyptians used Gunpla to decide who would become pharoah.

I'm not sure if Gunpla Shadow Games would be stupid or hilarious.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'm all for Pacific Rim Yeagers to make a guest appearance.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bimmi posted:

edit: Look, I know you guys are doing the whole "you don't like <thing I like> and are therefore a HUGE DICK and actual human garbage" thing but my mind honestly does not work that way. Suppose you could maybe just accept the fact that someone doesn't like <thing you like> without getting defensive and hysterical about it?
I don't mind a dude not liking a thing, but the way you're expressing that dislike is pretty blatantly condescending. I mean, poo poo, I thought the first episode was kinda meh too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bimmi posted:

No-one gives a poo poo that you don't like Build Fighters, they give a poo poo that you're being a condescending and elitist douche who thinks his interest in kids shows is okay while other peoples isn't for some reason.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm not sure if Gunpla Shadow Games would be stupid or hilarious.

Hilarious if Yu-Gi-Oh taught me anything.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

tsob posted:

No-one gives a poo poo that you don't like Build Fighters, they give a poo poo that you're being a condescending and elitist douche who thinks his interest in kids shows is okay while other peoples isn't for some reason.

Yes folks, having minimum standards for the entertainment one chooses to consume is now "elitist' and not liking a thing is the same as actively making GBS threads on the people who do. I'm glad we had this conversation.

edit: gonna conclude by pointing out that 95% of my posting on SA is done in this thread and ask you to consider, please, the possiblity that I just might be taking the piss here.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 7, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Again, no-one's even talking about Build Fighters here as far as I know, they're talking about your attitude to people who like Gunpla. I don't even collect Gunpla (I have a Turn-A MG I never finished though, if that counts) and I think your attitude is lovely and contentious. Even the people who are discussing Build Fighters aren't saying it's objectively good, only that it's entertaining. Which is a different thing.

Edit: By your interest in kids shows as opposed to other people's in the reply you quoted I meant their interest in the merchandise for those shows i.e. gunpla, same as in my previous reply, in case that wasn't clear. If it wasn't, I apologize for the lack of clarity.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 7, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh my god, I just noticed Ramba was inspecting an HG Gouf. :allears:

EDIT: They said he was a regular customer, right? I hope all he does is buy Goufs.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 7, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

tsob posted:

(I have a Turn-A MG I never finished though, if that counts)

Finish that loving model kit. :colbert:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TaurusOxford posted:

Finish that loving model kit. :colbert:

Someday I'll get around to it, if for nothing else so I can play with the cow it comes with for a few seconds and giggle before I put it down somewhere and essentially forget it exists once more as anything other than occasional eye-candy. It's been sitting in it's box for about 4 years now though, so it's probably not going to be any time soon. I have two revoltechs (a Patlabor and a New Getter-2) that suffered this exact fate and took me till now to realize existed even though they're sitting on the same desk I type this from. I bought all of them at roughly the same time when I thought I might enjoy building models after watching quite a few mech shows within a short while of each other.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I hope every person we meet acts exactly like the actual pilot of their Gunpla.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sonata Mused posted:

I hope every person we meet acts exactly like the actual pilot of their Gunpla.
Kid with the Big Zam busts out a BB gun halfway through.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

BlitzBlast posted:

Build Fighter's main appeal to the typical Gundam fan is the massive amount of cameos from other shows. The trailer alone is at Gundam Unicorn levels of fan service, and the show proper will likely feature every single Gundam series ever.

Except G-Savior. Probably.

If I don't see something from Gaia Gear I'm going to be very disappointed in you :colbert:.

First episode had me laughing way more than I thought it would. In particular during the tournament commercial, the Dijeh destroying the Freedom had me in stitches.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bimmi posted:

edit: gonna conclude by pointing out that 95% of my posting on SA is done in this thread and ask you to consider, please, the possiblity that I just might be taking the piss here.

Well that's fair enough, but I'd just like to point out that your posts certainly don't carry the tone of someone taking the piss, to me at least, but it's very hard to do so with any kind of subtlety through text. And also question why you think people would check post history or something before replying.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really liked this show, not surprising because I was one of the few people around here who was excited for the show when it came out. I liked some of the humor in it, like with the opening scene and the fights are very well done and nicely animated. It's a fun silly show and I hope they can keep it up.

But man, I really wish gunpla stores like Sei's existed in North America. For over a decade I've had to go online to get my fix :smith:. Although considering it takes me a month to build and paint a kit, I'd be terrified of actually joining a gunpla battle.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Golden Battler posted:

In particular during the tournament commercial, the Dijeh destroying the Freedom had me in stitches.

Supposedly the writer isn't a fan of Seed.

Monaghan posted:

But man, I really wish gunpla stores like Sei's existed in North America.

They do! They're just not nearly as common and sometimes have ridiculous prices. And as I mentioned earlier, Barnes and Nobles is starting to stock kits so there's an option.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 7, 2013

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm already a lot happier with this show than I originally planned to be.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

This may be one of my favorite things to happen to a series in a while. I'm all for super dramatic stories and explorations of a person's inner psyche or whatever, but there are times when I really want something nonsensical and entertaining. This show does just that.
Also Ramba Ral! :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

That's just something someone on 4chan made up. Considering that this episode contains a bunch of SEED stuff and the main protagonist unit is the Strike Gundam, it's a pretty silly rumor to begin with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not to mention the dude wrote 00, which didn't exactly take pains to distance itself from SEED thematically.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

Not to mention the dude wrote 00, which didn't exactly take pains to distance itself from SEED thematically.

I thought that the idea that conflict needed to be used to bring the world together was pretty far from SEED's constant pacifism talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Endorph posted:

The themes it goes for aren't really a problem though, it's the execution of them that is. Loran and Dianna are basically running on the same themes as Kira and Lacus after all, and they don't get nearly as much hate. Granted, not nearly as many people have seen Turn-A in general, but a good few here and on /m/ would have and either don't care one way or the other or actually like them.

• Locked thread