Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ethiser posted:

I thought that the idea that conflict needed to be used to bring the world together was pretty far from SEED's constant pacifism talk.
True enough, but I felt kind of reminded of SEED in the second season, for a lot of reasons. Maybe it was just me? Then again, 00's second season was apparently heavily influenced by the demands of the corporate overlords, so that might not be a fair complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SEED is and remains popular in Japan, which is the reason the protagonist is the Strike Gundam to begin with. BF is also a children's show made to sell toys. It's unlikely to is going to be particularly anti any series, but SEED and Original-era Gundam in particular are both likely to get a lot of pushes due to popularity and due to SEED/Destiny HD and Unicorn airing (or "airing" in Unicorn's case) concurrently with BF. (We've already seen multiple CE and early UC units, for example.)

The only thing I'd expect to maybe get overlooked is Gundam AGE which they seem to be doing their best to pretend doesn't exist, but even that may change once more suits show up. They're putting in bizarre obscure SD Gundam poo poo, AGE'll probably show up if just in the background.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I could see them shoehorning AGE suits in and trying to divorce them from their original context - they already have the molds and all.

Actually, have any Gundam X suits shown up yet? If anything, *that's* the show I could see getting overlooked the most.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

I could see them shoehorning AGE suits in and trying to divorce them from their original context - they already have the molds and all.

Actually, have any Gundam X suits shown up yet? If anything, *that's* the show I could see getting overlooked the most.

One of the first suits announced was the Gundam X Maou.

Gundam X is also significantly less of a failure than AGE was, which is really saying something. It's no longer the black sheep of the franchise. AGE's DVD sales and games sales were hilariously low. (Reports suggest they expected to do gangbusters on the game and it ended up doing like 35,000 copies and being outsold by a creepy incest game.) In addition it had quite literally the worst ratings of a Gundam franchise.

Still, it'll probably show up because they want to move those models.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 7, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Haha, it did worse than X? That's hilarious, and I say that as someone who finds X kinda charming. Do we have any info on why they refused to shitcan it like they did to X, then?

EDIT: v X got a spin-off manga, right? Maybe that's doing well.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 7, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I want an AGE model to show up just to see the silly as gently caress game-only variants get animated.

Also lately Gundam X has been getting a push merchandise-wise, so even if it wasn't one of the main suits I'd have expected to see it.

EDIT: Man, I liked Gundam X. What's with all the hate? :smith:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 7, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Endorph posted:

Haha, it did worse than X? That's hilarious, and I say that as someone who finds X kinda charming. Do we have any info on why they refused to shitcan it like they did to X, then?

Probably so they could sell more model kits(HGs of course, as we have at least three MG kits that have basically been canned). Supposedly another reason is that Unicorn was making Bandai so much money that they basically said "gently caress it" and let AGE run its course.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AGE's game came out at the very tail end of the franchise. (Literally the week before the final episode IIRC.) They couldn't really shitcan AGE because it was supposed to tie into that.

It'll be interesting to see how BF does with kids. AGE's biggest failure is that kids didn't watch at all. Like literally sometimes the total viewship for kids hit 0%.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 7, 2013

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I assume the high investment in multiple merchandise lines is what kept AGE from getting the axe prematurely, whereas X didn't really have much to lose in that regard. Or the director has photos of Sunrise execs consorting with farm animals. I dunno, any attempt to figure out anything about AGE logically makes my head hurt.

What really baffles me about AGE is that, after the series bombed out in near-unprecedented fashion, the makers somehow managed to secure funding for an OVA which absolutely no one was asking for.

At least with GBF the basic premise is pretty much unfuckable, and it's very unlikely not to pull decent numbers and do exactly what it's meant to do. The fact that most of what it's selling is already bought and paid for probably doesn't hurt, either.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 7, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BlitzBlast posted:

Most people who haven't seen it only know it as the Gundam show so bad it got cancelled, forgetting that First Gundam was also unpopular until the movies and got cancelled, though they had chance to finish off the story in a more satisfactory way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

I liked it too, and it has kind of a cult following, but it's still one of the most unpopular Gundam series and it's not hard to see why.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I follow very little in the way of Gundam (I'm a fringe fan at best), and I'm definitely not into the Gunpla scene, but crazy shonen robot bullshit is always up my alley, and judging by the OP, this will feature a robot that looks like the Studio Trigger guys got lost on the way to the Kill La Kill studio and decided to give a Gundam a Gurren-Lagann/Gunbuster makeover.

Which is just amazing, in all honesty. :allears:

Gonna definitely let the first 2-3 eps build up and give this a shot.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 8, 2013

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh my god, I just noticed Ramba was inspecting an HG Gouf. :allears:

EDIT: They said he was a regular customer, right? I hope all he does is buy Goufs.

He asks every day if they have any Doms in yet.

HE WILL NEVER GET ANY DOMS.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

Or better yet, every time he's about to the kid with the Gyan smacks it out of his hands.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

The first episode was super fun. It didn't even make me want to go build my gunplas, just to play Gundam VS.
It's just a silly show to get some cool looking Gundam fights for me at this point, without having to be heavily invested in the story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Man, what the gently caress would happen if they included this show in Super Robot Wars?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

They managed to get SD Three Kingdoms in there, I'm more wondering how they'd work it into Dynasty Warriors Gundam, even if it is just Build Strike and Zaku Amazing.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Sakurazuka posted:

Most people who haven't seen it only know it as the Gundam show so bad it got cancelled, forgetting that First Gundam was also unpopular until the movies and got cancelled, though they had chance to finish off the story in a more satisfactory way.

Gundam X got moved into a bad timeslot, like 6 AM Saturday morning (from 5 PM Friday). Scouring around the net, I've read that the cancellation was already decided before that, which is a drat shame.

It's not a terrible show. I'd call it mediocre at worst, with a plot that's not going to wow the regular Gundam fan, but I believe it has significantly good characterization--Garrod and Tiffa felt like a prototype of Renton and Eureka. Plus it was the AU show closest to UC without ripping it off by virtue of being a "what if?" story.

Also, beam harmonica cannon

I generally liked the first episode, though I'm irrationally worried how they'll get the girl into the hobby...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I am having entirely too much fun looking at the background of Sei's shop and identifying boxes.

From left to right, there's MG Ex-S, Nu vKa, Sazabi 1.0, Heavyarms vEW, Acguy, I wanna say a Dom, and Unicorn vOVA.

Farther to the right's there's Johnny Ridden's Zaku II 2.0, another vKa, Victory vKa, and Gundam 2.0.

Also

Two aisles for Seed and HGUC respectively. :allears:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 8, 2013

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Endorph posted:

Man, what the gently caress would happen if they included this show in Super Robot Wars?

They'd have to bring Keroro back, at least.

Caros
May 14, 2008

For a show who's surface morals appear to be something along the lines of "Gunpla's are cool. Buy our models" Build Fighters' first episode was surprisingly well directed and actually pretty smart.

Take, for example the shot of the city from Reiji's perpsective. At first glance you see buildings upside down and think 'space colony' since it's such a standard Gundam trope. Then it pans to Reiji looking at the city upside down and hints at the idea that he sees things very, very differently than other people in the city.

Likewise there is another clever reversal of the standard Gundam trope. By the very nature of Build Fighters it focuses a LOT on the Gundams/Gunpla. Normally the Gundam is an extension of the pilot, it gives them power and allows them to act towards (or in some cases enforce) their ideals on the world around them. Yet at the end of the episode Sei isn't running around trying to find a gunpla, he's looking for the pilot.

The animation was good, the cameos and lighthearted nature of the show were excellent. Its entirely possible that Build Fighters is going to go AGE on us and absolutely poo poo the bed once it gets past the clever opening, but done well this could make for a really, really good gundam show about little plastic robots.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Fred is on posted:

They'd have to bring Keroro back, at least.

If only he could make it into this show. I think he'd be the next champion.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So what are the chances that this show will pull a G Gundam and have the tournament fighting fade into the background at a certain point? Some of the stuff with Reiji makes it seem like he might not exactly be from this planet.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ethiser posted:

So what are the chances that this show will pull a G Gundam and have the tournament fighting fade into the background at a certain point? Some of the stuff with Reiji makes it seem like he might not exactly be from this planet.

It'll probably have a harder time doing that than G-gundam unless they end up going Yugioh style shadow games.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Caros posted:

Fo Its entirely possible that Build Fighters is going to go AGE on us and absolutely poo poo the bed once it gets past the clever opening, but done well this could make for a really, really good gundam show about little plastic robots.

Age was pretty bad from the get-go. It had a 14 year old working to design a mobile suit and him figuring out that the Vegans were going to attack soon. Instead of telling the leader of the colony, someone he's close with, he only tells his teacher who dismisses him.

So right now build fighters first episode is way better then age's.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Caros posted:

It'll probably have a harder time doing that than G-gundam unless they end up going Yugioh style shadow games.

I was thinking maybe some kind of Last Starfighter scenario. It seems like the kind of wish fulfillment thing kids would like.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Sonata Mused posted:

If only he could make it into this show. I think he'd be the next champion.

It turns out that, in that big tournament, Dad lost against Keroro. :getin:

Either him or Plamo Kyoshiro.

Ethiser posted:

If by the end of the show they're not using "life-sized Gunpla" to fight aliens/a mad scientist/an ancient egyptian evil/Mewtwo/the literal Devil Gundam in space, I'll be extremely disappointed.

By the way, this line sounds familiar but I can't quite place it. Any ideas?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Monaghan posted:

Age was pretty bad from the get-go. It had a 14 year old working to design a mobile suit and him figuring out that the Vegans were going to attack soon. Instead of telling the leader of the colony, someone he's close with, he only tells his teacher who dismisses him.

So right now build fighters first episode is way better then age's.

You're right actually. I keep having this vision that the first one or two episodes of age was actually good... but it really wasn't. It had a decent reason for him to get in the suit, the beam shank and the dods rifle which had a sound effect I liked.

Christ age was lovely.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mister Olympus posted:

I would be ok with the exact opposite. Say something like he would be the last opponent in the grand finals of a tournament with his Rick Dom Ral Custom, obviously painted blue.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Watched the first episode. It just felt so silly, but it was instantly better than AGE because of Ramba Ral. I had a stupid grin on my face the entire time but I'm not sure if it was either because I felt embarrassed for watching a glorified marketing ploy or because I enjoyed it.

Something about Reiji instantly made think "He is a Char." Something about the Red motif and Quattro glasses, I don't know.

Lostconfused posted:

I would be ok with the exact opposite. Say something like he would be the last opponent in the grand finals of a tournament with his Rick Dom Ral Custom, obviously painted blue.

I know now what I am going to do with my spare Rick Dom MG kit.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Fred is on posted:

By the way, this line sounds familiar but I can't quite place it. Any ideas?

I just figured it was a cliche anime line. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Gundam line, though.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Build Fighters is fine, but at least 50% of the reason I watch Gundam series is because of the setting and the fictional stakes, of which here there's basically none. Ramba Ral cameo isn't enough, unfortunately.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Faltion posted:

Watched the first episode. It just felt so silly, but it was instantly better than AGE because of Ramba Ral. I had a stupid grin on my face the entire time but I'm not sure if it was either because I felt embarrassed for watching a glorified marketing ploy or because I enjoyed it.

I completely agree, I was just skimming through the episode until I saw him. After that I went back and watched the whole thing.

Who else is excited about the new Beargguy III

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I think Reiji might be a genie.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Zorak posted:

Build Fighters is fine, but at least 50% of the reason I watch Gundam series is because of the setting and the fictional stakes, of which here there's basically none. Ramba Ral cameo isn't enough, unfortunately.

There is Origin (supposedly) still coming around the corner, so this is a nice little distraction until then.

And hey, for Bandai it's something "safe" to deal with after Age shat the bed.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
They'd be mad not to include AGE in there somewhere because the model kits were that show's sole non-terrible asset and I'm sure Bandai's got a few thousand gross of "yet another goddamn Vagan thing" sitting around that they'd like to be rid of.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I'm fine with this not being anything like most gundam things because most gundam things have been awful lately.

If it is just about some kids playing with toys and has a story and characters that make sense, are likable, and perform actions it will still be better than seed or age.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Zorak posted:

When were there ever any real stakes? This just takes the "colony drop = bad guys" part out of the gundam fighting and puts it back into the "dudes fighting protagonist=bad guys" camp. The fact that theyre just a dork and an alien genie rather than SUPERDESTINYSAVETHEUNIVERSEKID#howevermany there have been is so great. Or would you prefer a return to all the other sans-Tomino Gundam we've gotten?

Let's put it another way. This is a tournament Gundam. There's only been one other like this, and it's debatably the best in the franchise. C'mon, have some FUN Zorak! :unsmith:

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Paper Lion posted:

Let's put it another way. This is a tournament Gundam. There's only been one other like this, and it's debatably the best in the franchise. C'mon, have some FUN Zorak! :unsmith:

Please don't compare this to G Gundam. I like this show but that's on the basis of accepting it being a brainlessly fun plot tied to some decent battle animation. It is nowhere near as deep, complex or self-aware as G Gundam was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
G Gundam wasn't really all that complex or self-aware going off it's first episode either. I wouldn't say it was particularly deep at any point full stop, but it definitely wasn't in the first episode regardless since it was just Domon arriving in a town, helping some kid, flashing a picture of a mysterious stranger and getting in a fight if I recall.

• Locked thread