Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
The setting is actually a sort of Valhalla for dead Gundam characters, where they get to enjoy normal peaceful lives but can still have exciting mobile suit battles. Reiji is actually an SD Gundam given human form, and is still confused about Earth customs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I don't know how you could possibly expect any message but "Gunpla and the people who buy them are THE SUPER BEST!" coming out of this show. It would be another (hilarious) story if Tomino was writing it, but Bandai knows better than to let him touch the franchise anymore.

I'm amused so far, but I don't know if I'll be watching it for long. Hopefully they have a good, consistent animation budget and the story stays good-stupid instead of stupid-stupid. That's really all I'm asking for.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Endorph posted:

Man, what the gently caress would happen if they included this show in Super Robot Wars?

They'd have to bring Keroro back, at least.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Sonata Mused posted:

If only he could make it into this show. I think he'd be the next champion.

It turns out that, in that big tournament, Dad lost against Keroro. :getin:

Either him or Plamo Kyoshiro.

Ethiser posted:

So what are the chances that this show will pull a G Gundam and have the tournament fighting fade into the background at a certain point? Some of the stuff with Reiji makes it seem like he might not exactly be from this planet.

If by the end of the show they're not using "life-sized Gunpla" to fight aliens/a mad scientist/an ancient egyptian evil/Mewtwo/the literal Devil Gundam in space, I'll be extremely disappointed.

By the way, this line sounds familiar but I can't quite place it. Any ideas?

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

TNG posted:

Medabots also had a random judge show up out of nowhere.

Gundams, Gunbattle!

Ramba Ral emerges from a trash can to explain the rules.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

TNG posted:

Reiji also gets another Gundam special power attributed to him, directly on screen. I wonder if he'll get X-Rounders at this rate?

I think I might have missed something. Or are you referring to him teleporting away at the end?

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Of course, the show still has plenty of time to contrive reasons for Yuuki to put on a mask at some point.

I hope they eventually start fighting a secret organization that uses toy robots for evil. These shows are at their best when they let the crazy ramp up.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
The trend so far seems to be to showcase a lot of existing mobile suits, but introduce one BF-original robot per episode. This episode had two, I guess, but one was an semi-upgrade while the other didn't really do anything yet.

I'm glad Sei point-blank asked Reiji what his deal was at the beginning of the episode, rather than dance around it for half the series. Reiji is obviously not telling the whole story (if it's even close to the truth) but at least the question has been put on the backburner because he doesn't want to tell, rather than because Sei decided not to worry about it for some anime reason.

The "Are there any for girls?" line at the end made me roll my eyes a bit, because obviously the dozens of models the camera was panning across were for boyz only. Of course, this show is a combination of Gundam fanservice and safe-as-hell hobby shounen, so I'm not holding my breath for stereotype-defying portrayals of female characters. At least it's not AGE, I guess.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Gundam Build Fighters - Better than AGE!

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
drat fake geek girls, poisoning our hobby! :argh:

It seems we've gotten a glimpse of our antagonist organization, and they've already pegged Sei as a threat to their somehow Gunpla-related world domination plans. Betting we'll see Kirara again halfway through the show, with the Love-Love Psyco Gundam-chan.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

NotALizardman posted:

Antagonist organization? Who, the guys at the beginning of the episode? I thought they were Kirara's fanboys that built her Gerbera.

edit: oh poo poo you mean the dude at the end of the episode, never mind. I wasn't even thinking of that, I was like "of course Yuuki has to take over a big company". Didn't even think about them being the antagonists.

Oh, no, you're actually right. I hadn't noticed those two guys were the same people, and thought that "her agency" really meant some Evil Organization X, and that the guys at the beginning were her bosses picking her as their monster-of-the-week. :v: Well played, show, I guess.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
China's dad is either the only sane man on the show, or the only one who hasn't seen the light. "He tried to pay me with a toy!"

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

TARDISman posted:

With each passing episode I'm becoming happier that I'm waiting for the Master Grade for the Build Strike, mostly because of how many off the cuff weapon upgrades Sei's been giving it. Hopefully by the time he does a full suit upgrade it'll be something on the level of the IWSP Strike pack.

One fun thing about the Strike is the different weapon modules. It could be nice (for the show, less so for your wallet) if they go that route, and have it use a different loadout as needed. I like how this latest upgrade came about, though. "Hmmmm, the X Maoh has a giant fuckoff laser. Wait, I know! We also need a giant fuckoff laser!"

I'm still curious to see how the Build MkII will come about, though. I thought it'd be as a result of the Build Strike getting trashed, but it seems not. Maybe that comment on Sei lacking imagination will motivate him to make more kitbashes.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
So, next week we're getting a... beach episode? Okay.

This episode really made me want to see the show somehow included in Super Robot Wars. The fight alone could have provided a full movelist's worth of balls-to-the-wall attack animations.

Fred is on fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 11, 2013

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Sindai posted:

Speaking of which, at some point I hope they run into someone who's tried cramming every gundam gimmick onto an absolutely ridiculous-looking single suit.

There are a few video game original suits that might come close to that.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
As said before, the gunpla's abilities seem to have much less to do with in-series power levels, and more with how well they were built. Presumably, a shittily-made Gundam X (as in, not made by Mao) would still have a satellite cannon, but it would just shoot the laser equivalent of a pleasant breeze. Meanwhile, the Build Strike has a beam gun that shoots a big fuckoff laser just because Sei put a lot of cool OCD details into it, which interact with plavsky particles in blah blah handwavey ways. Meanwhile, Sei's dad cleaned the house using the original Gundam, which in theory is really baseline in terms of abilities.

P.S.: :spergin:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Shinjobi posted:

Anyone who complains about misogyny in this series without watching AGE can take a hike. I don't pretend to think Build Fighters is going to be some shining beacon of progressive treatment of women, but I think it'll still do better than the "women are only good for breeding and dying/motivation" sentiment in AGE.

As has been said before, that's about as low as you could possibly set the bar. If you claim that something isn't that bad in comparison to the most blatant, over-the-top example available, there might be a problem.

As I said earlier in the thread, this show combines Gundam with sports shounen, so I didn't go in expecting much in the way of strong female characters. So far I think it's being more or less par for the course as far as Gundam and, really, anime in general goes. It's a shame, and it wouldn't have been all that hard to fix, as people are pointing out, but I do agree that Bimmi might be a wee bit hyperbolic here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Azubah posted:

So is the overall message of the series "gently caress canon, have fun"?

A similar message of "Relax and try some new things for once" would make perfect sense in the context of Gundam as a franchise, considering its current state.

• Locked thread