Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I saw a SUMO, so this is the show of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dessel posted:

That being said, this trailer introduced me to a rapier fencing gundam complete with a somewhat proper stance for rapier fencing. What is that model?!
I didn't spot it in the trailer, but do you mean the Gundam Rose?

EDIT: Oh, wait, you're thinking of the Gyan.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 30, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I know the tallgeese isn't a gundam/a zaku/ piloted by char so the japanese don't care about it but gosh the tallgeese is so cool
Dude, barely anything in the trailer was any of those things.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I wouldn't hold my breath for AGE anything to get any significant showing. They appear to be quietly trying to pretend it didn't happen.
I'm sure a couple of mechs will at least show up, since they already have the models and all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I just realized what this show needs.

The O vs The Exia. How many swords? Too many swords.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Build Fighters isn't airing on the weekends, like most Gundam shows (including AGE). It's airing on Monday afternoons, a time slot specifically targeted towards children coming back from school.

Because it is a kids show.
Yeah, seriously. 'Gentle satire?' Come on son. It's a goofy cashgrab. You either enjoy that or you don't.

Also, 'the types of people who think filling their shelves with toys is a worthwhile pursuit?' Do those people really need mocking? I mean there are probably way better things to be spending money on, but they're toys. Who exactly is getting hurt when some turbonerd spends 600 dollars on a giant Big O? If the dude gets his rocks from that, who gives a poo poo?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I get the feeling from the first episode that there is going to be some goofy as poo poo twist.

Reiji is a ~newtype~ from another world. They're probably going to end up discovering Gunpla Battles are a gateway into some alternate reality or some poo poo.
The ancient Egyptians used Gunpla to decide who would become pharoah.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Can we also mock pseudo-intellectuals who post poo poo like 'obsessive-compulsive hyper consumerism?' in a thread for a glorified toy commercial?

Besides, if you don't think the other Gundam series were designed to sell toys too, then, uh, yeah. They might have aspired to do other things but there were still a lot of decisions, both plot and mech-design wise, that were influenced by that desire. There's a reason every protagonist gets a mid-season upgrade, and it's not to represent them growing and changing as people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bimmi posted:

That's kind of the key difference right there, mate.
Well, yeah, but at the same time if you're going to take an 'above it all' stance, isn't open-faced marketing better than 'coded' marketing? The latter is inherently deceitful, while the former is relatively harmless. The attempts at marketing betray any nobler aspirations the show might have had, while with this there's nothing to betray. If they want to create a massive plothole to cram a few more toys into the void left, they can do that without a single problem.

I can see not enjoying the show if you aren't into goofy-rear end-marketing-fuel like, as a random comparison, YuGiOh, but acting like you're a better person for not enjoying it is kind of silly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bimmi posted:

edit: Look, I know you guys are doing the whole "you don't like <thing I like> and are therefore a HUGE DICK and actual human garbage" thing but my mind honestly does not work that way. Suppose you could maybe just accept the fact that someone doesn't like <thing you like> without getting defensive and hysterical about it?
I don't mind a dude not liking a thing, but the way you're expressing that dislike is pretty blatantly condescending. I mean, poo poo, I thought the first episode was kinda meh too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sonata Mused posted:

I hope every person we meet acts exactly like the actual pilot of their Gunpla.
Kid with the Big Zam busts out a BB gun halfway through.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not to mention the dude wrote 00, which didn't exactly take pains to distance itself from SEED thematically.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ethiser posted:

I thought that the idea that conflict needed to be used to bring the world together was pretty far from SEED's constant pacifism talk.
True enough, but I felt kind of reminded of SEED in the second season, for a lot of reasons. Maybe it was just me? Then again, 00's second season was apparently heavily influenced by the demands of the corporate overlords, so that might not be a fair complaint.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I could see them shoehorning AGE suits in and trying to divorce them from their original context - they already have the molds and all.

Actually, have any Gundam X suits shown up yet? If anything, *that's* the show I could see getting overlooked the most.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Haha, it did worse than X? That's hilarious, and I say that as someone who finds X kinda charming. Do we have any info on why they refused to shitcan it like they did to X, then?

EDIT: v X got a spin-off manga, right? Maybe that's doing well.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 7, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: Man, I liked Gundam X. What's with all the hate? :smith:
I liked it too, and it has kind of a cult following, but it's still one of the most unpopular Gundam series and it's not hard to see why.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Man, what the gently caress would happen if they included this show in Super Robot Wars?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I really hope this just goes whole hog with the goofy references. I want the kid with the Turn-A and the kid with the Turn-X to destroy each other at the same time then get into a fistfight.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fred is on posted:

Ramba Ral emerges from a trash can to explain the rules.
"This is NO DISQUALIFICATION, boy. NO DISQUALIFICATION."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SEED's problem isn't that it was conservative or existed to sell toys, it's that it was written by someone who's previous experience amounted to much cheaper cash-in anime and the episode of Outlaw Star where they fight a psychic cactus who controls an army of insects.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be frank if SEED had been like any of these things (Cyber Formula, Dendoh, Outlaw Star) it probably would have been a much better show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This is Gundam and the Gyan pilot didn't have a five episode long traumatic backstory, so I'm going with guy. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TNG posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Reiji is an alien from an alternate universe's future that has space colonies. And that alternate reality? Byston Well. Also a genie.
But is he somehow making sense of their convoluted situation?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The writer is this dude. Notably he wrote Gundam 00, Trigun, and Jormungand.(The anime adaptations of the latter two, not the original manga, obviously.)

Also Sei's mom kind of rules. Actually, all the characters kind of rule. Sei is the most likable gundam protagonist in years. I like that he didn't lead Yuuki on and just told the truth.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 14, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Frankly I'm just hoping that somebody says GUNPLA JA NAI at some point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tsob posted:

What'd be so dumb about Ramba being a teacher out of interest?

I'm not Caros, but I think the point isn't so much that it'd be dumber, but that it would be less interesting/less funny.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If villains from Gundam shows are winding up in Build Fighters, Gym Ghingham should show up. It would basically be paradise for him.

EDIT: And it'd give an excuse to make a Turn-X kit. There's only a 1/144 for that thing, right?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 15, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, those pencil mustaches are pretty stock villain. There have probably been tons of one-off villains in tons of shows with that look.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm sure I originally heard Build Fighters was an OVA, was that wrong or did it get extended?
Either you got it confused with Gunpla Builders, or you got confused by the news that it was only going to be 26ish episodes instead of the usual 50ish.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure Sei likes all Gundam because the protagonist of the show is unlikely to dislike any* Gundam show. Considering we're also getting a Build Mk.II the odds are fairly good we'll see both a Build SEED upgrade and a Build UC upgrade. A Build Akatsuki was shown off and Build (X) seems to be the protagonist suit names at this point going off Strike and Mk. II.

(*We'll see if AGE ever gets mentioned.)
But how does he feel about G-Savior and Gundam FMV?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also, M'Quve The Early Years is really growing on me. With a suit like this, I can fight for another ten years if necessary!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

"Do you have any for girls?" OK, that means that whatever the class president is going to fly is either going to be useless or loving terrifying. I'm hoping for a Qubeley. White and pink, of course.
Psycho Gundam. :getin:

But yeah sadly it's gonna be the Bearguy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm pretty sure one of the guys in the bar was using a Kampfer Prototype. That's the only one of their suits I have any idea about, though.

EDIT: I think I saw an Aries, but it'd be weird as hell for guys in a Zeon cosplay bar to be using a Wing suit.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 21, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, the class president is kind of traditionally 'feminine' (wears pink, nurturing, draws pictures of flowers) so I could see her wanting something that wasn't grim and gritty with two-dozen swords coming out of its rear end. The problem is less that question and that so far she's the only female character we've seen shown any interest in the hobby. Hopefully those two other girls in the OP will improve that ratio.

I'm assuming the Mario cosplayer with the kitbashed X-Divider is a girl, anyway. Might be a guy. :v:

Faltion posted:

That was a Bawoo in grunt colors.

Dammit. Those two suits look pretty similar, but the Bawoo's more angular - the grunt colors threw me off. When I think about the bawoo, I imagine it in searing sunset orange.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Nah, he's a guy. Next episode will be introducing another girl though, and the ED show two more.

Also that's just the X, not the Divider. :colbert:
Fair enough either way, then.

And to be honest I was pretty sure it was the regular X and not the Divider but X-Divider is a lot more fun to say.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

At this rate the shocking twist will be that the girl in the OP is a boy.
They stole that shocking twist from Phi Brain. :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like how the class rep spent half the episode as Gendo Ikari. And Yuuki and Reiji's disgusted faces when Kirara was Kiraraing were amazing. I hope this goes full Yu-Gi-Oh and ends up with her learning to ~love Gundam~, since she was actually kind of great, and seemed to be walking off dramatically at the end.

Also is it just me or does the ZAKU AMAZING keep taking out SEED suits?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 28, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

00 S2? What about the movie and S1?

I'm only really worried about seeing a FLAG, mind.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, I'm not saying the producers SECRETLY HATE SEED, that's absurd, I just noticed an amusing little trend with the Amazing. Anyone who reads anything into that is frankly being kind of silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I kinda felt the same way, to a lesser extent. Which is partly why I'm hoping Kirara comes around on Build Fighters, since while I'm sure it wasn't the intent I couldn't shake the feeling some dude out there was going 'yeah, bitches taking advantage of nerds. *nodnod*.'

That said, while China isn't great, she's at least shown some degree of personality, like how she keeps getting baffled by Ramba Ral. That's more character than most of the characters in AGE showed, female or otherwise.

• Locked thread