Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I finally got around to starting this show and have binged through the first 10 episodes already. Why is this so good? It's the most blatantly product placement-y Gundam has ever been, and it is also probably my favorite Gundam series. Every episode just puts a stupid grin on my face. It should by all rights be a terrible show, but every single character is great, it plays itself completely straight which makes it hilarious, the fights are really good (especially Zaku Amazing vs. Build Strike in episode 6 being like final battle quality in any other series), and the soundtrack is fantastic, including Mexican guitar.

I, a man at the age of too-old-to-be-buying-plastic-toys-for-children, now kind of want to build them. What has this show done to me?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Son of a bitch, this show. I just finished episode 15, and a 15 second memory sequence of a man probably in his 30s talking to his toy got me a little misty-eyed. It's like goddamned anime Toy Story. The cuts to Kirara were also nice. How does a merch-shoving show have better relationships between characters than everything else in the industry? All the couples that are being set up are cute, as was Sei calling his girlfriend after their first win.

This show is saving anime.

Edit: Zaku Amazing vs. Build Strike still just barely edges out Fenice vs. Build Strike though, but Spanish guitar may be a bit of an unfair advantage.

vvvv If that is not literally the title of the song, it at least is in my heart.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 5, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like how instead of sleeping in some bizarro science bed like the SEED druggies or other psychics, Aila's "Morning of the tournament" scene was just her sitting around eating chips and watching TV. Also Kirara was clearly doing the walk of shame off screen during Fellini's part.

And Rinko is still the best.

Edit: And Patrick Mannequin gives me the warm fuzzies. The only non-preexisting hookup in 00 that survived.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 5, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm watching Bloodhound right now, and two things stick out to me. 1) Sei, don't get sheepish about asking China out on a date after the tournament when you're already, at that moment, on a date with her. And 2) What type of beer is SUPER FLY (I'm thinking a pale ale) and where can I get some?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ Code Geass season 1 got a third opening for the final episode of that season. Granted it was obviously going to be getting a second season, but there's still some level of precedent. Dare we dream that this could hint at a second season of Build Fighters? :swoon:

Ethiser posted:

How has no one pointed put the track on the OST named "Meijin : The usual Flamenco at SIX times the Passion"? That is art.

Somebody did a while back. Also it is not as much art as "Aila - Reiji's Custom Tsundere -".

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 6, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm finally current on the series, and all I can really say that hasn't been said already is that Fellini is the best dude, Fenice is the best Gunpla, and Nils and Caro are the best couple.

Also I want to believe that genderswap Heero right here is the legendary Patrick Mannequin, even though I know it'll end up being the guy who's going to be in the next episode. Anyone remember the other names who could take a guess at Ms. Heero's name?

And while I hate to say something that could be construed as "Laugh at the incompetent woman", Baker's plans constantly failing is pretty funny, especially when it leads to things like her turning away from the chairman each scene, hiding under the bar, or this: It's even better when you realize that she's basically supposed to be Lady Une.

Somebody on the staff really loved Wing, as any right-thinking human should.

vvvv Maybe, but I don't remember a Kira ever appearing, while the Heero clone did, with a Mercurius and that same hair color. Also there's an earlier shot that makes her look a bit more Heero-ish that I probably should have used instead. Actually you're right, that probably is just a random Kira.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 6, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bits and pieces of the soundtrack are starting to pop up on youtube for us plebs who did not import it, but I'll save everyone some time with a link to the most important one. You'll have to forgive whoever uploaded this for picking the wrong drat character for the image, awesome though Fellini may be. Samurai Edge is also really good.

This soundtrack is really good, guys.

vvvv Yeah it's up there with Wing's for me, probably even above it. It's just a really fun ost.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 12, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

3 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4eEkFAEU4w

I may have just listened to this track one too many times, but has anyone else noticed that Allied Force combines a lot of major character leitmotifs? Yuuki's flamenco guitars, Aila's ethereal wailing, Fellini's loving accordion; lends credence to speculation that the show will end on some kind of massive ridiculous team-up.

I think that one is just Fellini's theme, not a combination. It played at the end of the Star Build Strike vs. Wing Fenice fight.

But yeah I'd say there's about a 0% chance that there won't be a big team up for the final battle.

Aila's battle theme is 1/48 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU4f6mdTIFw.

I'm waiting for the slightly different version that briefly played during Fellini's Self-Destruction Show.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 12, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm a little disappointed that the vulcan Gyan's (Vulgyan's?) vulcans are not also shields. Caro's continued upgrading of her relationship to Nils is great.

Edit: Also I like that Sei doesn't have a particularly outlandish or noteworthy design, at least in terms of clothing. He's just a kid wearing kid clothes. No weird jodhpurs and arm bands with super anime hair. No upside down sunglasses and serious business coat. No "LOOK GUYS I'M A FARMER/SAMURAI/IDOL." Ramba Ral also gets points for looking like a 50 year old dad (at the age of 35), and Fellini looks fairly normal, if stylish, as well. And I liked that the guy from last episode was just a dude who showed up in what could easily just be his work clothes.

I have decided that season 2 needs to be the adventures of Sazaki.

Edit 2: This gag never gets old, now with the disapproving glare of Batou:

I love this episode. I have to go with the original Fenice over the Rinaschita, though. The battle damage just gave it that extra appeal. Plus the Rinaschita is clearly weaker. I mean it jobbed to a mediocre build Gerbera Tetra after all :v:.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 18, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

tsob posted:

Same. I stopped the episode several times in the first two minutes to identify all the cameos since there were so many in some shots, and found some throughout especially funny (Char) or cute (Domon's family/Haman & Mineva) but I had to stop the episode and got as close to squeeing as I hope I ever get at the Al, Chris and Bernie cameo. I actually stopped it at Al in the "cockpit", no Chris & Bernie and grinned massively while chuckling, then continued it, before making some really embarrassing sounds as I paused it again, while clapping and welling up.

I love this show. I really would love to see another season with new protagonists and cameos from the old cast or Sei, Reiji, Aila & Mao joining the Gunpla Police/World Tour under Takeshi or something.

If season 2 is not Sazaki's Gyanterattack I will be mildly upset. But only mildly, because season 2 not being that would still mean it's a second season.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If a sequel/OVA is anything other than Sazaki's Gyanterattack I will be very disappointed.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Build Fighters, why do you have to end? :( I was happy to see that Kirara and Caro were both still kicking at the end of the battle, and China and Aila were cool before they got sucker punched. The pain of not having a second season or getting to see more of Ral in action is going to be great.

Also, some characters appeared during the Chinan kick. What was the meaning? I assume it was a reference to something, but I don't know what it was.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What is it like, not having souls? Mao owns, gently caress the haters.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Please don't 00 season 2 this, Sunrise. Please. For me. I want to see custom builds from all the female characters as well, mainly because the gerbera tetra is cool.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 15, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Level Slide posted:

A running gag with Sei and China repeatedly breaking up and getting back together.

Actually no, that sounds kind of sad.

It will time skip 20-30 years into the future and they'll be married but still incredibly awkward around each other.

Mr. Ral will be exactly the same and still 35.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I want Build Fighters S2 to have Sei be frustrated by the advent of 3d printing or something and how lazy it has made modelers, so he goes full on rogue/story villain.

No, somebody will enter with a gunpla that was 3d printed as their ~new secret technique~ that everyone reacts to with shock.

Then it can't actually move because they 3d printed the whole thing as one piece. It will also be a Leo.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 15, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I really hope that one in the middle is based on the Impulse. Then it can be the Impulse Bi :v:.

I'm so sorry.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ramba Ral (age 35) will use a Gouf piloting a larger Gouf.

The real question is what the hell kind of bullshit Mao will have come up with after a time skip and will he still be a huge goon.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm on board with Mao having the 00 Raiser Maoh. It's got the giant beam cannons he's so fond of.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Just a 1/144th scale Char figure strapped with 5 GN Drives, a satellite cannon, Moonlight Butterfly, the V2's minovsky drive, and every single "Like a newtype but not" system that they've ever come up with(Trans Am, Seed mode, etc.)

And then it gets easily dispatched by some guy who looks like Otto using a Leo gunpla because that is the magic of Build Fighters.

I would also accept Sazaki winning with the Neo Zegyang.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 29, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yay a custom G...

...wait...

Build Burning Gundam? What the hell? Weird naming aside though, this will be awesome, for sure. Best choice for Build.

Also I love how direct the Winning Gundam's name is. No joking around here, it's built for winning. I can imagine what that girl's personality is already.

I seriously hope Winning Gundam's user is going to own. I know it's Gundam and she's a girl so it's not going to happen, but I can hope.

Winning Gundam looks really basic, though. I wonder what its gimmick will be.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 17, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It looks like the rough gimmick is:

One is PUNCHMANS who doesn't know much about Gunpla Builders but has bullshit kung-fu powers and is a great fighter.
One is China's younger brother who is a pro builder of some kind.
One is the president of the Gundam Club and "loves Gundam from the bottom of her heart."

The Burning appears to be punchy-man and uses "Universal Kendo"
The Lightning is shooty-mans
The Winning is high-speed/gimmick oriented.

I'd say my biggest concern is that it's going to boil down to "one is good at fighting, one is good at building, one is the Sei Mk.II but without a Fighter so she just gets owned constantly."

On the other hand, Yuuki was president of the gundam club and also loved gundam from the bottom of his heart. Let us dream this sweet dream for a little longer.

Also, if they do care about getting more girls into gunpla (though who knows whether they actually do), having the girl not suck and die for once would be a good idea.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

The only thing that's known to have changed is the new producerdirector, Shinya Watada, who did episodes 2,8,17 and 23 of the first series.

Ep 8 was Nils' introduction, Ep 17 was Mao's self-finding trip and Ep 23 was the Gundam Valhalla festival.

VVV
Thanks, changed it.

Also worth noting that episode 2 had the first encounter with the Zaku Amazing, which was really, really good even if it was only like 30 seconds. Kind of a mixed bag on those episodes though, so I can't say I'm not a little worried. Tallgeese Valyrie fight was good, but Mao's episode was lame and Gundam Valhalla was alright but kind of empty. I want the director or directors from Bloodhounds, episode 6, and the Build Strike vs. Wing Fenice episodes. Mostly Bloodhounds.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 17, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

You know what I want? Since the GBF-verse is Gundam Valhalla at all, I really want Fumina to meet Treize at some point, possibly by the time she'd need to upgrade her Gunpla.

All just so Treize tells her she's wrong for calling something a "Winning Gundam", and she should strive to be not a winner, but a loser.

And so, Fumina's upgrade appears: The Losing Gundam.

Maybe everyone at the bar Ral (age 35) goes to will have changed fashions to Oz uniforms post time skip, and there will be someone dressed as Treize drinking wine out of a tiny wine glass. I am not sure whether that or Treize just being the new mentor/explainer character would be better.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You know, I'm looking forward to whatever the new soundtrack will be as long as it has some multiple of the passion of ordinary flamenco, but I'm also hoping that they keep at least these two from the first series, just because the first Build Fighters theme is great and the second one I've linked is weird but fits the series well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zoNcVWPN1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goq2v21-1xU

Build Fighters had a great soundtrack and I hope season 2's surpasses it. I still can't get over how inspired the choice of flamenco was. It makes no sense and is such a weird choice, but works out Amazingly in practice.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 18, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Please don't turn Fumina into a cheerleader/love interest/"She's important because she holds the team together like a Captain Mom" character, Sunrise.

Please.

It's all I ask.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That they're aware of the great reception of Build Strike vs. Wing Fenice and Bloodhounds gives me a lot of hope for Build Fighters 2 being good. Now let's just hope G-Reco won't have hosed things up for it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kanos posted:

Tomino's final plan to kill the franchise he birthed revealed.

In the end, he could not help but become the old generation who needed to step aside but did not. He was a living metaphor for the cycle of war.

Seriously though, G-Reco gonna be bad, and I just hope it doesn't drag Build Fighters Try down with it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I know it'll never happen, but Prometheus is at the top of my list. After that, some mods of the Virgo, Destiny, and 00 Raiser would be cool.

And if we're allowing ones that have already appeared, then the gerbera tetra again and more Tallgeese. Can never have enough gooses of above average stature. Also an Aries that goes the entire series without ever exploding would make me laugh.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 19, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am now going to be incredibly disappointed if Sazaki's little sister does not become at least one of the main rivals in this show. Why did you have to build that up in me thread, when we know that the harsh realities of Gundam will only make it come crashing down like so many colonies, asteroids, space fortresses, space elevators, or plain old space lasers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am glad that I have been alive on this earth long enough to see the phrase "Chair Striker".

Also I like how Sazaki's sister doesn't have the generic anime girl body type. She's generally bigger. I just hope that isn't used as a source of jokes. Also she has bizarrely twiggy arms, but baby steps.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 25, 2014

• Locked thread