Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Wow, that was a trip. Saw this series recommended over in Poptarts Ninja's "Let's Play BattleTech" thread and blitzed through it over the course of last week. (It was the screencap of Bernie and Chris congratulating Al on his win that did it.) Great stuff all around.

Also reawakened my old addiction to Gunpla; went and dug a bunch of old models I never started work on out of storage, and even ended up ordering an HGBF Zaku Amazing and Miss Sazabi.

... Now I need to get some actual modeling supplies so I can actually work on this stuff.

Also, dumb question: even though the subs had him calling her by her family name, what was Sei actually calling China during the series? It sounded like he was saying "Incho" or something like that.

Kanos posted:

He left the show as abruptly as he entered it.

Perhaps his sudden inclusion and departure were meant as an oblique reference to how F91 was originally intended to be a full series and had its budget slashed so they had to basically take what they had and compile it into a movie. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're getting a Zaku Amazing, the Amazing Booster's worth grabbing as well to stick extra stuff onto it.

I'll look into it; no idea when the Zaku's supposed to get here, though, so I can wait on that a bit.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Weissritter posted:

Apparently someone translated the news article on plavsky particle in the last episode.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/RedWingnut/Plavskynews_zps53cb913e.jpg~original

I love the typo in the picture caption. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Your girlfriend is Amazing.

Is his girlfriend Amazing because he's a Meijin?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I think it's safe to say he definitely wasn't bringing his A game in episode 17. :stare:

Seriously, consider that from the time we first saw it in action in episode 7 until his match against the Star Build Strike in 17, the only thing he really did in terms of upgrading the Gundam X Mao was adding the Mao Sword.

Conversely, Sei retooled the Build Strike Full Package (which Mao only ever saw in the imagination battle in episode 5) into the Star Build Strike, which first got shown off in episode 10, along with the Absorb System and the speed boosting mode. Then in episode 12 he showed off the Discharge System, and after that in 13 and 15 we got to see the RG System in action.

Mao saw all those improvements, plus he finally got to see Reiji's piloting skills in action... and the best he could come up with to counter all that was "giant gently caress-off Masami Obari-style beam saber". :effort:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Now that I think about it, what the hell did Mao use as the base for this, anyway? Did Bandai ever even make a 1/144 Crossbone Gundam?

Also, I hope that if we do get a Build Fighters Season 2 that we get at least one character who favors G Gundam for their customized suits.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Calling it: second season is going to go all Yugioh GX and have a Gunpla Academy.

There is a Gunpla Academy in the setting already. Yuuki, Allen and Julian all studied there before the series started.

So yeah, this is actually feasible.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I dunno, I still like the Miss Sazabi, even if it never really got a chance to be awesome in a fight beyond beating up some Mocks. I just like it because it shows Aila's developed an appreciation for Gunpla now that she's no longer being forced to treat it as a job. I also like that China helped out Aila with it, because it's one of the few things China does in the series that doesn't have anything to do with her crush on Sei.

Plus the thing just looks badass.

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: V We all like the Miss Sazabi too! That's why we're so bummed it didn't get to do anything. That's pretty much the one problem I have with the Master/Gouf combination, it meant the other new suits didn't get to do as much.

Honestly, the thing that bugged me the most about that scene was Master Chinan's custom Master Gundam wasn't very heavily customized. I think I would've preferred to see him bring back that heavily customized Kowloon Gundam from Mao's flashback in episode 17.

But yeah, I get what you're saying about the Miss Sazabi, and it is a shame it never got a real chance to shine.

... Maybe it'll show up in that bonus footage on the Blu-Ray? :v:

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 25, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

If it's the same team that did season 1, I have faith that they can pull it off. :unsmith:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I have seen the future: Gunpla Battle on motorcycles.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I just want a better showing from the Future Century this time around. Season 1, the only times FC suits got to shine were:
  • The Nether Gundam being the windmill in Nils's Don Quixote imagine spot.
  • Nils winning with Fuunsaiki in the Wacky Races episode.
  • Master Chinan schooling a bunch of fools with his custom Haow Gundam in Mao's flashback in episode 17.
  • Master Chinan's Master Gundam blowing up a bunch of Mocks in the final episode.
That's it. Every other time a suit from G Gundam showed up, it was to job for something else. :smith:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

There aren't many G Gundam kits. v:shobon:v

That didn't stop a bunch of suits that never got kits from appearing.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

aers posted:

New BF season. In Fall.

All aboard the hype train. :getin:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Likewise, Aila getting beaten not by a clever use of the Build Knuckle to blind her sight, but because Reiji uses Build Knuckle and she just kind of stands there and takes it? Really boring. The core idea is there but it is badly presented.

All of her training and battle experience up to that point had been centered around her ability to see plavsky particles in motion and learning to dodge attacks based on that. When the particle output from the Build Knuckle blinded her, she froze up because she had no idea on how to react in that situation.

Basically, she choked at a key moment and it cost her the fight. Happens all the time in sports in real life, so I'm not sure why it's considered a cop-out in this case.

I'll give you Nils and Maoh, though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

:vince:

Oh god the wait for that Build Burning Gundam is going to drive me insane.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's not uncommon in goofy anime like this for the club lead to be the crappiest member of the team. She's 'scrambling for players' according to the profile and ends up with those two.

Yeah. And going by that and the other info presented thus far, I'm going to guess that while China's brother is great at actually building Gunpla, he's probably an average fighter at best. Red is probably going be doing most of the heavy lifting in the fights, and I'm guessing Yellow is probably going to handle Sei/Ral's role of filling in background info on the various suits and references that pop up throughout the season.

Also, what are their names?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Eej posted:

Crossbone's enduring popularity will forever be a mystery.

It's a pirate-themed giant robot. :ms:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Just finished SBS vs. Maoh in the tournament, still loving this show. It was really surprising to see G-Savior show up, and I'm really pumped to see some of the fights coming up. I also want to say how glad I am they're actually discussing Reiji's existence. It was really confusing me how for the first 10 or so episodes the most we knew about him was "I'm from another world".

They do explain his origin eventually...right?

I don't see how those crayon drawings could have been made any clearer.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

A team consisting of customized versions of Gundam Spiegel, Gundam Deathscythe and Blitz Gundam for an all ninja/stealth team.

Failing that, I just want to see a Leo do something besides suck and explode.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Some pictures of Ez-SR. It looks like its gimmick is just being able to throw on accessories on its back and rotate them forwards? Also it has an EWAC.

I'll take it! :swoon:

That's two kits from this series I've preordered now and the show's not even out yet. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

....Mantisman has to be a reference to something I am completely missing. Unless it was just a random name the staff came up with.

Maybe it's like the one guy from the first season who everyone kept calling a gorilla; they call him Mantisman because with his skinny arms and legs and his glasses, he kinda resembles a preying mantis.

• Locked thread